The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.
------------------
Note: The SBCs issue has been resolved, details posted on this thread in a tweet from FIFA Direct Communication.

OT- Broken phone

Slow As Kieran
1676 posts Play-Off Hero
Basically My S7 Edge is broken and has been for months, i just never got round to sorting it. (It is not under warranty and the phone is a luxury rather than a necessity)

So the phone overheated a while back when charging over night, automatically turned off due to this. Ever since that happened it will not charge. I am wondering if this is due to some damage to the charging port rather than the whole phone.

IF it is damage to the charging port only, do you think the phone would still charge using one of those fancy wireless chargers? Or is it stupid of me to think that?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• krakos000
    17544 posts World Class
    Hmmm you could try using one of those! I'm not sure about that issue though. Maybe something got fried inside the phone? Have you taken it in somewhere to have it looked at?
  • Slow As Kieran
    1676 posts Play-Off Hero
    krakos000 wrote: »
    Hmmm you could try using one of those! I'm not sure about that issue though. Maybe something got fried inside the phone? Have you taken it in somewhere to have it looked at?

I took it to a place called Timpsons (UK) don't know if you're familiar, they do key cutting, phone repairs etc xD and they quoted me £500 if it was the charger port, but basically the response i tend to get is, whetever it is the whole phone has to be taken apart, and that costs me money :(

Just another note, after the phone overheated, it worked fine the next day, until it hit 0% battery, havent been able to charge/use it since!
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    Are these the ones that caught fire? If that's the case, I'd be persuing Samsung!
  • Slow As Kieran
    1676 posts Play-Off Hero
    DaveSaves wrote: »
    Are these the ones that caught fire? If that's the case, I'd be persuing Samsung!

I think they are, but in my case that didn't happen!

Months before this overheating thing happened to me i dropped the phone, and it has the tiniest chip in the glass on the screen, and guess what? Yep, that voids all warranty and they are only interested in trying to get me to buy a new screen
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    Well at this point you have an expensive paper weight.

I'd buy a battery from eBay, find a video on YouTube and take your time. If that fails, sell it as parts and move on.
  • Slow As Kieran
    1676 posts Play-Off Hero
    DaveSaves wrote: »
    Well at this point you have an expensive paper weight.

I'd buy a battery from eBay, find a video on YouTube and take your time. If that fails, sell it as parts and move on.

Yeah I will probably do that. I have just ordered a Wireless charger which was only like £17.99, if that does not work, I will be getting a new phone which is compatible with thus charger, and selling this one as parts like you say, it looks like i can get around £140 on Ebay which is like a 3rd of what i paid for it new which isn't bad i guess!

Thanks for the replies :)
  • Riafelttil
    493 posts An Exciting Prospect
    The one that overheated was the note and not the s7 or the s7 edge.

It's really expensive to fix the edges because they are a nightmare to take apart.

In all likelihood your battery was fried when it overheated but that could well be due to a charging port issue. The wireless charges don't necessarily need the port to charge but occasionally the faulty port won't allow any charge to go to the battery. It's worth a try, getting a wireless charger though so don't be discouraged.
  • Riafelttil
    493 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Good luck
  • Slow As Kieran
    1676 posts Play-Off Hero
    Riafelttil wrote: »
    The one that overheated was the note and not the s7 or the s7 edge.

It's really expensive to fix the edges because they are a nightmare to take apart.

In all likelihood your battery was fried when it overheated but that could well be due to a charging port issue. The wireless charges don't necessarily need the port to charge but occasionally the faulty port won't allow any charge to go to the battery. It's worth a try, getting a wireless charger though so don't be discouraged.

Oh thanks for that, you know a lot more than me about it all obviously! I am hoping it is a positive sign the fact that it let me use the rest of the charge in the battery the day after it overheated :)

But yeah, i don't have high hopes, it would just be a really nice surprise if it did actually work! @Riafelttil Thanks!
  • Michael LFC 96
    3711 posts National Call-Up
    Take it to McDonald's first, they have air charge ports in there!