The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC & console, this includes the changes listed here.

Are custom tactics and players instructions placebo just like chem style cards?

samthederbyram
1229 posts Professional
I haven't used any chem cards on my players for all of Fifa 16 and so far in Fifa 17 i have never noticed any in game boosts from having them to not using them at all so the question is are ct and player instructions the same for you? personally custom tactics i feel are far more important than player instructions because it feels like it is my teams whole shape on the game player instructions seem ineffective /useless as my players seem to make there own decisions in game anyway based on me triggering runs with lb e.g full backs always bombing on cdm's upfront would love your opinions apologies for the long winded post

Comments

• Andybelfast
    10973 posts Has That Special Something
    Player instructions are rubbish.

Full backs to stay back always bombing forward. Cdm with med high work rates told to stay back always forward.

I would say ct's are the same I normally keep on default the odd time I would change them up and it makes 0 difference at all. No matter what I do I always get the same wins every weekend league between 20-25 wins
  • DarthGrowler
    15367 posts World Class
    Complete placebo and a hindrance. I have stopped using both and my teams flow so much better
  • Andybelfast
    10973 posts Has That Special Something
    Complete placebo and a hindrance. I have stopped using both and my teams flow so much better

Yep 100% agree with this
  • dopetothemax
    2017 posts Fans' Favourite
    I don't think chem styles are placebos at all. The reason you don't notice is every player is receiving a boost. Even the Basic chem you keep your players on is still boosting them. I also don't think player instructions are a placebo I just think they don't work very well and are perhaps overridden by tactics, work rates, and what you do in game.
  • Libguy
    5284 posts Big Money Move
    Basic chemistry style at 10 chem on a 100 chem team provides a boost to many stats. If you want to see if chem styles matter, start playing a bunch of players on 4 chem.
  • IffyMoney
    4027 posts National Call-Up
    ^
  • Campino
    28444 posts Player of the Year

Yep 100% agree with this

Agreed as well

Only thing I've changed now is defensive cover from
    offside To cover
  • samthederbyram
    1229 posts Professional
    @IffyMoney very well done on the 39-1 do you use either?
  • Benjog88
    1590 posts Play-Off Hero
    Custom tactics clearly have an effect, cast your mind back to when low pressure tactics basically meant the defense would just sit on the edge of the box
  • Skrt_Skrt
    4621 posts National Call-Up
    only instruction I feel that you can actually notice is Get in behind.

as for custom tactics, wasn't a user of them until recently, they aren't game changing.
  • samthederbyram
    1229 posts Professional
    @Campino @DarthGrowler @Andybelfast will give default a go this weekend see how i fare
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    Custom tactics I use now. It's just finding some that you get on with.

Player instructions I still do but I don't think it makes any difference
  • SupaNoodle1990
    26479 posts Player of the Year
    I can't play without them, but I'm pretty sure thats just a psychological thing for me now.
  • IffyMoney

Yep i use both....and notice a huge difference with both.
  • McRaven
    5387 posts Big Money Move
    Nah I actually notice it. Noticed my backs were constantly overlapping, set it to stay back while attacking and never had any problems with them bombing forward anymore. Same with CT's, although I mostly notice the pressure ones. With chem styles I notice it, though not as big a boost as sites like Futhead would suggest. Sometimes they can override each other I think. For example if you want your striker to stay central, but if you have your attack on free roam then he might end up on the wings.
  • Painter753
    8824 posts League Winner
    Bronze benching is the only thing that actually makes a difference
  • DarthGrowler
    15367 posts World Class
    IffyMoney wrote: »

What way you set up @IffyMoney ?
  • IffyMoney

My CT's or instructions?
  • DarthGrowler
    15367 posts World Class

My CT's or instructions?

CT my man
  • TOMMYxCOOPER
    4101 posts National Call-Up
    my players ignore what I tell them to do..think there on strike for a pay rise :*
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    32909 posts National Team Captain
    Benjog88 wrote: »
    Custom tactics clearly have an effect, cast your mind back to when low pressure tactics basically meant the defense would just sit on the edge of the box

See...that's the thing though. The defensive part of custom tactics is the ONLY noticable difference I see that CTs make. I've played around with the Build up and Chance creation stuff and never notice a difference. Even gone as far as setting everything to 99 and 0 and don't notice a difference in the way my players move.
  • IffyMoney

My CT's or instructions?

CT my man

org

ff

cover
  • Sercs
    18835 posts World Class
    Customs and Instrucions make a difference, won't turn you from a bad player into a good one over night but will help your play style be better executed
  • RadioShaq
    15610 posts Moderator
    You can test it and its pretty obvious it works.
  • TOMMYxCOOPER
    4101 posts National Call-Up
    Sercs wrote: »
    Customs and Instrucions make a difference, won't turn you from a bad player into a good one over night but will help your play style be better executed

so a middle of the road player wouldn't really notice the difference to tinkering around ?
  • AlexSolm
    8349 posts League Winner
    Sercs wrote: »

• Tof33z
    7042 posts Big Money Move
    edited February 2017
    My own view is that some are useful and some are not. For instructions, the likes of setting your full backs to always overlap makes a huge difference vs stay back. Cut in vs get behind for wingers also makes a difference though more subtle. Stay back for other positions seems to be totally overridden by work rates, you need to pay attention to those rather than instructions.

For CTs pressure has a huge influence obviously. Aggression set too high wrecks your players. The one part that really works for me is to set your build up play passing high. I use 60/80. Sounds like hoofball but totally makes your mids and forwards make great positive runs while not at all ruling out short passing. Crossing vs shooting vs passing for chance creation is a waste of time. I leave them all neutral at the same value.

I've experimented a lot and believe the secret is to mostly leave alone apart from the two or three things that really do make a difference. You're much better at default than overdoing too many changes. Just pick the few that you can really tell are helping you.
  • Tof33z
    7042 posts Big Money Move
    Tof33z wrote: »
    My own view is that some are useful and some are not. For instructions, the likes of setting your full backs to always overlap makes a huge difference vs stay back. Cut in vs get behind for wingers also makes a difference though more subtle. Stay back for other positions seems to be totally overridden by work rates, you need to pay attention to those rather than instructions.

For CTs pressure has a huge influence obviously. Aggression set too high wrecks your players. The one part that really works for me is to set your build up play passing high. I use 60/80. Sounds like hoofball but totally makes your mids and forwards make great positive runs while not at all ruling out short passing. Crossing vs shooting vs passing for chance creation is a waste of time. I leave them all neutral at the same value.

I've experimented a lot and believe the secret is to mostly leave alone apart from the two or three things that really do make a difference. You're much better at default than overdoing too many changes. Just pick the few that you can really tell are helping you.

Ps chem cards are 100% not placebo. It's not even hard to prove. Problem is people overrates what they think they should do, forgetting that the game (for all its flaws) is still 80 or 90 percent about who is better at fifa. When you get destroyed by a lad with bronzes or silvers and crush the clowns with 87 rated teams, chem cards, useful as they are, are not going to transform you
  • AkeySlake
    1465 posts Play-Off Hero

Ps chem cards are 100% not placebo. It's not even hard to prove. Problem is people overrates what they think they should do, forgetting that the game (for all its flaws) is still 80 or 90 percent about who is better at fifa. When you get destroyed by a lad with bronzes or silvers and crush the clowns with 87 rated teams, chem cards, useful as they are, are not going to transform you

80 or 90% about who is better? Can't help but feel that's a little generous. It's 80 or 90% both players attempting to battle ridiculously flawed mechanics/override terrible coding and maybe 20 or 30% about who's the better player.
  • Runefang
    6045 posts Big Money Move
    I never bother with player instructions, mostly because I prefer the default ones.

I think custom tactics are helpful, there are noticeable differences in high and low pressure.

I like to attack really quickly so all the attacking/possession related tactics are turned up pretty high.