How different is 4-3-3 to 4-3-2-1?

Orikoru
10712 posts Has That Special Something
Lately I've been finding 4-3-2-1 the best formation and I've got used to using it, but the chem links are limiting my attack options a little bit. If I switched to 4-3-3 the hybrids would be so much easier due to the wingers only needing the 2 links. But I don't want to change my team for it and then find out 4-3-3 is completely different and plays horrendously.

Anyone who's used both - does 4-3-3 play that differently to 4-3-2-1? I figure I'll set the wingers to cut inside and get in behind and hopefully it's similar?

Comments

• Soly77
    574 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited February 2017
    one striker and two wingers 433
    three strikers 4321
    totally different not even close
  • shez82
    365 posts Sunday League Hero
    One is for wider play, the other is for narrower play
  • Orikoru
    shez82 wrote: »
    One is for wider play, the other is for narrower play

Well I can see that. I'm just saying do the wingers suddenly become useless or do they still get in on goal? Will I just have to focus on setting up my striker more?
  • McRaven
    3642 posts National Call-Up
    You'll have to focus setting up your striker more. 4-3-3 imo is more geared for possession, build-up play and going down the wings. It is also slower than 4-3-2-1, though you can still counter if you have pacey wingers. 4-3-2-1 is more for counter attacking. Atleast that's how they play for me. If you put the wingers on cut inside they will get in the box, but not in the way the LF and RF would. I like 4-3-3 more because it gives me more control, but I'm the odd one out seeing as everyone uses the 4-3-2-1.
  • Orikoru
    edited February 2017
    Well, I've decided to give it a go. The wingers may be quieter but I hope it will bring out the best in my striker.

This is the team now btw https://www.futbin.com/17/squad/1936014 - I just sold UP Cuadrado, UP Bonaventura and Florenzi to get the PSG guys.