Why is my goalkeeper taking corner kicks?

10th4r
147 posts Has Potential To Be Special
I've seen goalkeepers come up for corners before when the team is desperate for an equaliser, but in the last game I played the goalkeeper was taking corner kicks when (a) there are much better kick takers in the team, and (b) we were three goals ahead.

Anyone else seen this kind of thing?

Comments

• 10th4r
    I figured it out. In my team's quest to corner the CB market, it has sold all of its goalkeepers except one in order to bulk up the squad with 16 - count them, sixteen - CBs.

Now the team's only goalkeeper is injured for several months, so De Bruyne is in goal. When it comes to corners the stupid AI decides that his FK attributes make him a better option to take the corner than others who are almost as good, even though that means leaving the goal exposed.

In this last game, other players even involved him in the post-corner kick play thereby delaying his return to goal.

This is madness.
  • SACanuckinOz
    207 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    You really should ask for a transfer. That manager is a nut job!
  • 10th4r
    I think it's time!
  • SACanuckinOz
    Put in a transfer request mate. I could probably use you. I've just taken over over managing PSG after winning everything there is to win with Ajax two years in a row, and could use good players like yourself.
  • 10th4r
    Could be fun :-) Not sure how I get my player transferred to your team though!
  • 10th4r
    So I went for a transfer, and to my surprise for the first time ever I was offered a transfer out of the Premier League to Bayern Munich. I thought I may as well give it a go.

Then when I got there I found that when the transfer window closed the team had only one goalkeeper, just like the team I'd left, except this keeper was rated 63 instead of over 90. We played the entire season with that keeper.

Fast forward to the transfer window at the start of the next season. By the time that transfer window closed the team now had 9 keepers, although most were rated in the 60s and 70s and the best was 81.

Truly, the ways of the game are strange.
  • SACanuckinOz
    That is particularly strange as Bayern's keeper is supposed to be top German GK (Nuemann?), who is I believe the highest rated GK in the game. Sounds like your game is a bit borked if you ask me.

Ever considered manager mode? That way you get the additional power to make those transfer decisions (and stop the madness). You can can still experience the exact same playstyle as in player mode, but now also decide team tactics, when and who to substitute, etc.

What I like to do is find a young (good looking) player, around 18 years old, from my country of choice, edit their stats a bit (e.g. change them to a CAM if they happened to be a LB), and play a father - son type game. Father is the manager, makes the decisions, but I still get to be the young rising star as well, and can continue to focus all training on them if I prefer.

Just a thought. Might be less frustrating in the long run
  • 10th4r
    How old is Neumann? This was 8 or so years into the career, and some of the top players at the start have retired by then - although I see keepers going until very late 30s.

Manager mode sounds like an interesting option, but I think I'm readying myself to stop playing the game once I finish this career. My player only has 2-4 years to go before he is forcibly retired so now I'm primarily trying to complete most of the remaining achievements that aren't borked by EA bugs that make them impossible.

Scoring volleys is the main remaining interest, which is a bit of a challenge because:

(a) it seems to me that the AI doesn't cross very well almost all the time
    (b) almost all crosses don't go near my CAM player if there is a proper striker within about 12-15 yards from goal
    (c) about three quarters of goals actually scored on the volley are classified as "great scoring from the first touch" rather than a volley by the achievement system.

I've only officially scored 16 in almost a dozen seasons, and the 20 volley achievement is the only one I can hope for as 35 and 50 would require an astonishing improvement in achievement rate.

I am also aiming to get a bunch more assists from crosses, a few from corners, and some more goals from outside the box but those seem more or less achievable. Apart from there are only the blocked shots achievements and I make make it from the current 11 to 15 or even 20 if I hang about near the box for half the game, but I don't think I'll get to 40.

Well, I say apart from that, but in one career my CAM started getting selected as a defender some times, presumably due to the manager selling off all the defenders, and that opened up a whole bunch of defender only achievements!
  • SACanuckinOz
    In my experience Manager mode is WAY MORE enjoyable than player mode.

A. you get to manage a team of your choice - this includes transfers, selling/loaning/buying players, managing objectives of board (e.g. youth development, signing a marque player, financial objectives, winning league/cup/Euro/CL objectives), deciding team tactics, team choices, substitutions during game, the whole thing. WAY more depth that Player mode
    B. You still get to play as one player (if you choose, which I like more myself) by selecting "lock on to player" during the start of a game screen. So you can select a cool looking young player as your alter ego, and develop them just as you would in player CM
    C. As manager you can apply for other jobs at other clubs, and even be offered the option of managing national sides, which bring a lot more diversity to the playing. And if you go to a new club you can always buy your favorite players from your old club

It's a win win really
  • Hell of a career you've got going so far, definitely an entertaining read. I wonder how long before your teams sell ALL its keepers and YOU'RE stuck in goal.