What have I let myself in for?

DWR
359 posts Sunday League Hero
IMG_1123.jpg

As an older gamer, and someone who doesn't consider himself 'down with the kids' I'm excitied I can finally say I've qualified for the weekend league. After a few half arsed attempts I knew my missus was away this weekend so went for broke - 4/5 attempts and managed to sail through not really playing anyone of any class or with any decent players. I'm thankful all the 'good' players will have qualified days ago.

So any tips? I've heard it's a hard slog. I've got all night tomorrow / Saturday AM / Sunday PM to dedicate to it.

Comments

• Capablanca
    2281 posts Fans' Favourite
    Seriously why would anyone qualify via tournament? It's a suicide when you have to win 4 games in a row where a broken AI moment can decide the sort of a game. Qualify by retaining division 1, it's 5 games in 10 matches
  • gresh1978
    2459 posts Fans' Favourite
    I've also qualified for the very first time this week. Problem I have now is not sure how many games I will manage to get in.
  • Embrared
    836 posts Semi-Pro
    Nice one fella.

I'd suggest not playing more than 10 games in any one sitting. Also just take each game as it comes and try not to think about your overall standings/ targets.

WL is a total slog which is why I very rarely play a full 40 games.

Good luck
  • DWR
    Capablanca wrote: »
    Seriously why would anyone qualify via tournament? It's a suicide when you have to win 4 games in a row where a broken AI moment can decide the sort of a game. Qualify by retaining division 1, it's 5 games in 10 matches

Highest I've ever been is D3 where I came crashing back down again. No way of me getting to 1 so this seemed my best option.

gresh1978 wrote: »
    I've also qualified for the very first time this week. Problem I have now is not sure how many games I will manage to get in.

Good luck bud!
  • McRaven
    4246 posts National Call-Up
    Get ready for a world of painnnnn.

It's as bad as you'll let it get to you I guess. First half of games are fine, but the second half is a real grind imo. Try to set up a goal that you really want to achieve so you have something to work towards. You'll be facing a lot of the same formations with a lot of the same players and there'll be really fun matches, but also really frustrating ones. If you lose and get upset stop playing and take a break. Good luck!
  • kleineno7
    261 posts Sunday League Hero

for us div 1 might be normal to get into but not everyone can get in there. also i find that the matches in the wl qualifier are way easier than div 1. played it today to try something and won the semi's with 7-0. well we can all say that it's verry rare that you can win with that much in div 1. no the qualifiers are defenitly easier than to make it through divisions right now imo.

Good luck pall the big difference is that everyone in WL is playing not to lose which can make that you are absolutly dominating and someone is defending all the time but they win by some bs moment. Next to that the game feel sometimes a little sluggish probably because the servers are overused at that moment.
  • DWR
    Cheers lads. I have an okay BPL (shock) team with Hazard and IF Mane my best players so not expecting much but we'll see how I get on.
  • Gusmx
    125 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Don't play when tired or hungry... if you have a really tough loss then take a 10-20 min break to clear your mind. Be patient when defending.
  • Capablanca
    2281 posts Fans' Favourite
    Gusmx wrote: »
    Don't play when tired or hungry... if you have a really tough loss then take a 10-20 min break to clear your mind. Be patient when defending.

I'd say if you can't create chances and concede repeatedly at the first counter then you have to change something and take a break
  • Gusmx
    125 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Gusmx wrote: »

I'd say if you can't create chances and concede repeatedly at the first counter then you have to change something and take a break

This is important, be conscious/aware of your gameplay... When I go on a bad run is usually because I'm just playing on auto-pilot instead of actually thinking what I'm doing.
  • Racingeye1
    126 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Well in kid, I'm 39 reactions of a sloth and never qualify! Apparently play 5-10 games at a time before the old man anger kicks in and you'll be fine
  • DWR
    Do I have to play all 40 games to get rewards?
  • BigCheezy73
    75 posts Park Captain
    I find that when I go on a losing streak it's because I finish a game in all out attack just throwing players at the ball to try to come back late. If I don't take time after that to regain my composure, I'll start the next game with that same mindset and concede like crazy. So try not to tilt too hard after a loss, and def take breaks if your play style is being affected.

Because it's your first time, set a conservative goal for wins so you don't put too much pressure on yourself to win every game.

Above all, remember at the end of the day it's a video game and try to have at least a little fun.
  • Racingeye1
    Don't think so mate
  • Racingeye1
    Think its 5-10
  • CaptEcuador16
    1862 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited February 2017
    DWR wrote: »

No you need at least 2 wins to be ranked and receive a reward
  • DWR

I reckon I can get at least 2 in 40 games .... but we'll see haha!

• CaptEcuador16
    1862 posts Play-Off Hero

I reckon I can get at least 2 in 40 games .... but we'll see haha!

Definitely. But those two games are typically very easy. Like the other people here said set yourself an easy goal to achieve. My first WL i aimed at least somewhere in silver and I got silver 1 with 11 games to go but I ran out of time. From then on I've finished between that and gold 3. It is definitely a grind
  • DWR
    edited February 2017
    IMG_1124.png

Ready to go - any team advice?
  • Ronaldo
    3749 posts National Call-Up
    IMG_1123.jpg

Ready to go - any team advice?

Martial Musa Kante smalling, go from there
  • randomhero1090
    5627 posts Big Money Move
    Congrats!

If you have ALL weekend then I suggest taking it easy. 4-5 games a clip. Then a hour break at least. If you lose 2 in a row quit and break.

Don't have to play all 40. Play whatever you want.

That IF Gray would fit nicely up top :smile:
  • Machu
    136 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Don't listen to the people saying how bad it is. Just take it easy. Some games are extremely hard and some games aren't so hard. Just focus on your play and don't make small mistakes. Don't get frustrated cause it happens to everyone and overall if you have fun with it you will do better
  • Satch85
    1052 posts Professional
    I've just qualified for only the 2nd time as well, last time I got 17 wins bottled it for auto qualification, one thing I found last time is to abuse shielding and LT/RT dribbling to hold the ball up long enough for strikers to make runs and don't be ashamed to drop to defensive to hold a lead or if your overwhelmed by a a stronger player, go with what you know and what works best for you. Teams looks nice mate, I'd personally swap out giroud for a pacier striker but if he works for you then got for it bud
  • Daveofwales01
    8345 posts League Winner
    A lot of good tips here a nice change from git gud, taking breaks is the best tip, if you have all weekend then use it all, my first weekend my aim was 10 wins and I got 16, so setting a moderate target is a good idea
  • WillBalton
    60 posts Park Captain
    edited February 2017

I prolly win 7-8 out of every 10 knockouts I enter really not that difficult. Don't even get many close matches while playing with a fitness squad.
  • DWR
    Manage to get a game in before work and I won 4-3!!!! Really enjoyed it. Played against a good player and both tried to attack throughout. Don't think I can put myself through 39 more games like that though ...
  • Satch85
    1052 posts Professional
    How you getting on mate, I find it next level tense lol currently 9W-7L, I lost first 3 games so I'll take that for now, just annoying how you can dominate possession and shots but still lose to cheap goals
  • DWR
    Satch85 wrote: »
    How you getting on mate, I find it next level tense lol currently 9W-7L, I lost first 3 games so I'll take that for now, just annoying how you can dominate possession and shots but still lose to cheap goals

I agree. Definitely next level in terms of concentration levels - currently 5W - 4L set myself a target of 10 so I'm half way there!

Some of the teams I'm coming up against are ridiculous though - like Blackpool illuminations with all the different coloured cards!
  • DWR
    I'm now at 8W - 6L ... it's a serious mind F - I'm winning with high scoring games (5-4, 4-3, 3-2) and losing massively. Reckon I may stick at Silver 3.
  • Mooncloud
    27 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Nice going guys,keep us updated.