The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on Console & on PC and includes the changes listed here.

Dominating games, but not winning enough... suggestions?

Sparky_rob1982
459 posts Sunday League Hero
I normally have 60% or more possession, but will lose more than I think is fair. I know everyone wants to win more games, and this isn't a moaning post. My question is, does anyone have any advice for when you are on the edge of their box, central, back to goal? I struggle to get my players to make decent runs (as all of my opponents seem to do to me) so I can play them through. And I always seem to get the ball nicked away from me before I can turn or roll my opponent.

Any ideas or links to decent videos around this would be helpful. I just want to get more clearcut chances from games that I do really dominate...

Comments

• Xpglobe
    2216 posts Fans' Favourite
    sorry to say but happens to all of us put it this way the game knows your better so theyll make you lose and give the adv to your crap opponent :D
  • Hench
    54 posts Park Captain
    Change your custom tactics maybe? I go for high pressure with cover defensive. Theres lots of different ways to make chances obvs. Some that work for me are dribbling across the pitch instead of straight at goal. This seems to make strikers make decent runs. Or playing up to a strong striker and protect the ball with L2. Then wait for a run or play a quick 1-2. Possesion can be pointless in this game, i usually have 50/50 it just seems to make the oppenent get back into position and slows the attack. Yoy can try 2 up top and get the ball to them as quickly as you can. Turn one defender and try a through ball to the other striker. I play 4-1-2-1-2 narrow. Also aslong have you have space (player is perfectly balanced) just outside the box a finesse shot at about 3/4 power. Sometimes if my plan A fails i just go into random mode and try to be as unpredictable as poss. Not great player but good div 3 player and get gold 3.
  • RadioShaq
    15446 posts Moderator
    Most times if someone has more than 60 percent possession they are holding the ball to much. I mean unless you are winning and killing the clock like the regionals but you say you are losing. I suppose you would have to post a video to really tell though.
  • sks476
    320 posts Sunday League Hero
    Sometimes you just need luck. I played 12 games in wl on saturday, I won 2 and lost 10. Yesterday, I won 6 and lost 1. Just play and hope that the fifa gods are on your side.
  • Pepe Le DiLzZ
    15896 posts World Class
    Patience and be ruthless!!!
  • Jake22782
    53 posts Park Captain
    Back to goal and scoop turn with a 4* skiller is very effective.
  • Foldsea
    1197 posts Professional
    RadioShaq wrote: »
    Most times if someone has more than 60 percent possession they are holding the ball to much. I mean unless you are winning and killing the clock like the regionals but you say you are losing. I suppose you would have to post a video to really tell though.

This is how i play on the spot, i probably take to long to build upp my attack and the other team has to much time to get organized in the defence.
    So i have alot of possesion but not that many clear goal chances.
    And i often try the scoop turn with Zlatan with but very often the ball gets pushed away by the defender.
    I think you should try to make quicker attacks so the other teams defense dont have tim to get organized.

• A5B
    3053 posts National Call-Up
    My advice would be to not score first
  • Sparky_rob1982
    I do take my time building attacks - I like to keep possession, but not to a fault (at least, I don't think!). The problem is, I just can't ever seem to spring good counter attacks, long over the top through balls rarely work for me, they just go to the keeper... and the long, fast, low through balls that seem to dissect me every time always get picked up by the centre backs.

I have my chances, but generally each game their keeper makes 6 or 7 pretty solid saves, usually because I'm being forced to ping shots from unfavourable angles.

I'm a solid DIV 3 player, been there for a month or so and not been able to push up into 2 as yet...
  • Pepe Le DiLzZ
    15896 posts World Class
    I do take my time building attacks - I like to keep possession, but not to a fault (at least, I don't think!). The problem is, I just can't ever seem to spring good counter attacks, long over the top through balls rarely work for me, they just go to the keeper... and the long, fast, low through balls that seem to dissect me every time always get picked up by the centre backs.

I have my chances, but generally each game their keeper makes 6 or 7 pretty solid saves, usually because I'm being forced to ping shots from unfavourable angles.

I'm a solid DIV 3 player, been there for a month or so and not been able to push up into 2 as yet...

Don't mind giving you a game sometime this week.
  • Sparky_rob1982
    Don't mind giving you a game sometime this week.

Sounds good mate - pop me your PSN and I'll add you
  • Mini_Miudo
    9977 posts Has That Special Something
    To take a long time building up attacks you need to be very good at passing. If you're not, try a more direct approach. I just work the ball quickly to attackers and then just work the ball between them or try to dribble. Also, when your player's got his back to goal, first time fake shots work very well.
  • Sparky_rob1982
    Mini_Miudo wrote: »
    To take a long time building up attacks you need to be very good at passing. If you're not, try a more direct approach. I just work the ball quickly to attackers and then just work the ball between them or try to dribble. Also, when your player's got his back to goal, first time fake shots work very well.

I'm pretty solid at passing, as I say, I dominate possession most games - I usually have a slow and methodical build up - but it's just when I get into the box and have my back to goal...
  • Jackets20
    1190 posts Professional
    I have the same issues as you OP. I like build up play because I don't use skull moves ao I have to pass around players. But I do struggle games to get solid scoring chances. Lost moat of my WL games 1-0 or 2-1 cause I just can't score enough. I try to counter some but it always seems like they have 4-5 guys back on defense. For me I think my whole issue is I can't beat anyone 1v1 cause I can't use skull moves at all. If I can learn a few it would help a ton.
  • randomhero1090
    5627 posts Big Money Move
    I don't want to say possession is meaningless, however, passing the ball around and not creating quality chances won't lead to wins. It will lead to counters by your opponent. Lead to you having 60+% possession but your opponent scoring 1-3 goals on 5-6 shots.

Watching so many pros, many of them seem to try to score as quickly as possible. It's not reckless, but its aggressive. It's aggressive while having the ability to slow the counter.

On top of that, you got to pick the right type of finishes in certain situations. Being patient and making the right decision. Willingness to take a touch instead of a 1 timer. Stuff like that. I am HORRIBLE at finishing. My last game last night I had 3 breakaways with Bale and totally lost my cool. Totally blew all 3 of them. I should be finishing at least 2 out of 3 breakaways.
  • Foldsea
    1197 posts Professional
    I don't want to say possession is meaningless, however, passing the ball around and not creating quality chances won't lead to wins. It will lead to counters by your opponent. Lead to you having 60+% possession but your opponent scoring 1-3 goals on 5-6 shots.

This is spot on.
  • Walsgrove
    827 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Depending on who you have up front it may be worth working it wide and crossing it?

I have bale and ronaldo up front , both brilliant in the air so this is useful for me. i'm pretty sure bale got about 20+ headed goals this weekend
  • RadioShaq
    15446 posts Moderator
    edited February 2017
    Plus people are going to try harder against people playing like that. I mean cihan wouldn't even shake tass's hand after he held possession. Then everyone in the big thread said they wouldn't play like that for 100k real money but I doubt that. So people will probably do anything in the end to beat that playstyle.
  • RandomLhama83
    10098 posts Has That Special Something
    composure is the most important thing in this game. if you play relaxed, read the game instead of just trying to bombard your opponent, look for the openings, you will get better. and yes, learning effective skill moves can help. be clinical in the box ect.
  • randomhero1090
    5627 posts Big Money Move
    Foldsea wrote: »

This is spot on.

@Foldsea

Only know this because i've experienced it way too much :smile:
  • XxMTOxX
    1960 posts Fans' Favourite

Watching so many pros, many of them seem to try to score as quickly as possible. It's not reckless, but its aggressive. It's aggressive while having the ability to slow the counter.

On top of that, you got to pick the right type of finishes in certain situations. Being patient and making the right decision. Willingness to take a touch instead of a 1 timer. Stuff like that. I am HORRIBLE at finishing. My last game last night I had 3 breakaways with Bale and totally lost my cool. Totally blew all 3 of them. I should be finishing at least 2 out of 3 breakaways.

Absolutely, possession doesn't work in this game.
  • Sparky_rob1982
    So I need to drop playing 'real football' and adapt to just playing FIFA? Less possession play, more aggressive, direct play with loads of pace and through-balls? :lol:
  • Sandell85
    7615 posts League Winner
    So I need to drop playing 'real football' and adapt to just playing FIFA? Less possession play, more aggressive, direct play with loads of pace and through-balls? :lol:

Driven pass to striker and the 1-2 with a player and go for goal :)
  • Sparky_rob1982
    edited February 2017
    I'll give it a go this week guys, I'm thinking of re-structuring my team to this:

wJbUkRt.jpg

* Suggestions for a replacement on Oscar? Just want the Chem in there...

If I can't score goals with this, I might as well put my controller down and wait for Fifa 18 :lol:
  • Halfhand2
    541 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Counter attack on the dpad still a go to option in WL? not used it since the patch but so sick of facing so many PTB teams.
  • Coderood
    1782 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited February 2017
    You can have 80% possesion but if you dont create anything then you are absolutely not better then your opponent mate.

Its all about creating chances and scoring your goals, thats what makes a player better. When Ajax played against Real Madrid they had more ball posesion but ofcourse Real Madrid crushed them.
  • Sparky_rob1982
    edited February 2017
    Coderood wrote: »
    You can have 80% possesion but if you dont create anything then you are absolutely not better then your opponent mate.

I agree, which is why I'm here :lol:

I've adapted my gameplay for more risky balls, and yes, my pass percentage is down, and possession isn't as high - but 2 games in qualifiers and a 3-0 win, followed by a 5-0 win. Both opponents were garbage though, so it's not exactly representative...

Replaced Oscar with Rooney and got him on 9chem, everyone else on 10 - feeling like a solid team to play with. Firing driven passes into Icardi and Costa, they ping off a 1-2 and get away - wish Costa had some more pace... might replace him with Sturridge or someone of that ilk... more pace to get through on those through balls...
  • Wayno69
    914 posts Semi-Pro
    joe666 wrote: »
    composure is the most important thing in this game. if you play relaxed, read the game instead of just trying to bombard your opponent, look for the openings, you will get better. and yes, learning effective skill moves can help. be clinical in the box ect.

Composure! Very ❤️❤️❤️❤️ important!