How to use Ronaldo?

Furrag85
1751 posts Play-Off Hero
Seems an odd question given his quality, I don't know what to expect and want to get the best out of him. I've just joined the Ronaldo club. Never used him before.

team.png

I'm playing him LW with get in behind, cut inside, and stay forward. Realise he may play better as LF, but I don't like any of those formations.

So how do I get the best out of him?

At the moment, wouldn't consider myself a dribbler or skiller. I use body feint, roulettes, ball spins, the scoop turn mainly. With 5* skillers, I can do the fake rabona stop, and the scoop. I'm currently still trying to perfect the fake pass exit. Should I look to add more skills to his arsenal that Ronaldo is good at?

Is it best to get him on the ball as much as possible and drive at the defence? People will be expecting me to cut in from the left and onto his right foot. Or should I look to keep it simple, let the opponent **** a brick Ronaldo is on the ball, and use him to create space for Lacazette, Cavani, and Martial (who will replace Dembele)?

Comments

• KaterNL
    760 posts Semi-Pro
    Play him at striker
  • Andybelfast
    10935 posts Has That Special Something
    KaterNL wrote: »
    Play him at striker

• Furrag85
    1751 posts Play-Off Hero
    Why?
  • Antiversum
    5763 posts Big Money Move
    1. Give him the ball.
    2. Press RB
    3. Run into the box
    4. Press B
  • Kloral
    3656 posts National Call-Up
    KaterNL wrote: »
    Play him at striker

• Furrag85
    1751 posts Play-Off Hero
    Played him at LF, LW, and ST. Obviously sees more of the ball out wide, but is less potent as further from goal. Throgh balls to him he tends to clamber over the top of defenders and get through. I think I've only hit the post more with Kluivert, who played 55, scored 35, and assisted 19.

Ronaldo; Played 32, scored 21, 3 assists. Some of the goals he scored were on the same level of Bergkamp ridiculous.

Cavani as a central attacking CM or CAM, played 29, scored 17, 10 assists. Superb return.

More importantly, people tend to play PTB or ultra defensive from the off when they see Ronaldo.

Worth so many coins? I'm not so sure. Trying to tie him into a team with Lacazette, Cavani, and an untradeable Boateng is impossible to ensure good balance within the team. Feels like I've completely lost my way in terms of attacking play since I bought him, and I'm not even trying to force play through him ffs.
  • Muzza11
    8249 posts League Winner
    Antiversum wrote: »
    1. Give him the ball.
    2. Press RB
    3. Run into the box
    4. Press B

Did not know RB was run?
  • It took me 100 games or so to use Ronaldo correctly , 1st time I had him 700 games 650 goals 200 assists , now 300 games 250 goals 200 assists , he's phenomenal with a good player using him , use shield and don't force it to him also play him at striker in a 41212(2) , maybe start 4321 to get him chem
  • Muzza11
    8249 posts League Winner
    You can't he is awful and falls over 99.9% of the time
  • Painter753
    8824 posts League Winner
    You don't he's trash. Martial is better
  • Orison
    47601 posts FIFA Cover Star
    Muzza11 wrote: »
    Antiversum wrote: »
    1. Give him the ball.
    2. Press RB
    3. Run into the box
    4. Press B

Did not know RB was run?

@Muzza11 either typo or he is an ex PES player and changed controls to fit that. Although then I expect shooting to be X (like I have it) and not B :D
  • FletchSUFC
    1028 posts Professional
    He doesn't stand out for me either tbh.. might have to sell up and try out Carrasco TIF
  • Snipguy
    12983 posts Has That Special Something
    Best ST in the game
  • Crossland
    7526 posts League Winner
    edited March 2017
    Ron has to go as ST he's one of the best Strikers on the game with Toty Suarez
  • benny_powers
    1317 posts Professional
    I recently bought him too and my advice would be get him at ST. He was on like 3 in 10 at LF and now on 32 in 29 at ST for me.

My only issue with him is sometimes his positioning isn't the best, ends up behind the play and not making the runs I want.. saying that haven't used a player this year that can make chances for himself like he can.
  • Furrag85
    1751 posts Play-Off Hero
    What a difference a month makes in terms of coinage. I love a bargain and I rebought him last Sunday at 1.3m. I currently play him in this:

te2.png

He's playing better up top. Set him to central as he was drifting wide. Suarez is still better imo. He plays similar to TIF Cavani in how he stays on his feet when tackled, and bulldozes through players with the ball. I still haven't got his dribbling down yet, but he's far better at assisting. He makes things happen for Suarez and Crespo. Current is 28 goals and 13 assists in 41 games, which is better than his previous record for me.

Only let down is Crespo's passing. Tempted to replace him with Messi, but I'm unsure as I'd like to upgrade IF Mario.
  • benny_powers
    1317 posts Professional
    Ridiculous team mate! As much as I'm enjoying cr7 I might sell and give ADP a go. Not a massive fan of la liga and prefer serie a/bundes midfielders and wingers so Ronaldos links are annoying.
  • Primal
    4331 posts National Call-Up
    Ronaldos long shots are amazing and also he scores nearpost corners for fun ha but he doesnt seem as fast as his card suggests as he seems to get caught up by most defenders. He also gets bundled off the ball which i think could be due to his balance. Going to try st hazard
  • Primal
    4331 posts National Call-Up
    Ridiculous team mate! As much as I'm enjoying cr7 I might sell and give ADP a go. Not a massive fan of la liga and prefer serie a/bundes midfielders and wingers so Ronaldos links are annoying.

Thats another reason . Your limited with a dodgy la liga mid or Sanches
  • benny_powers
    1317 posts Professional
    Don't mind sanches, **** la liga wingers though..
  • EuroE92
    304 posts Sunday League Hero
    Furrag85 wrote: »
    What a difference a month makes in terms of coinage. I love a bargain and I rebought him last Sunday at 1.3m. I currently play him in this:

te2.png

He's playing better up top. Set him to central as he was drifting wide. Suarez is still better imo. He plays similar to TIF Cavani in how he stays on his feet when tackled, and bulldozes through players with the ball. I still haven't got his dribbling down yet, but he's far better at assisting. He makes things happen for Suarez and Crespo. Current is 28 goals and 13 assists in 41 games, which is better than his previous record for me.

Only let down is Crespo's passing. Tempted to replace him with Messi, but I'm unsure as I'd like to upgrade IF Mario.

How is Baia at GK? @Furrag85
  • Painter753
    8824 posts League Winner
    You don't
  • Skrt_Skrt
    4621 posts National Call-Up
    Painter753 wrote: »
    You don't he's trash. Martial is better

tbh.
  • Andy99TradeZ
    13657 posts Has That Special Something
    very poor this year
  • Runefang
    6045 posts Big Money Move
    Coat him in bronze and put him on a prominent shelf.
  • benny_powers
    1317 posts Professional
    sold him this eve and bought ADP, he's much much better than Ronaldo
  • C o b r a
    606 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Ppl dunno how to dribble with him, put engine on him and enjoy his max spd and crazy dribbling, balance will not be an issue anymore
  • Furrag85
    1751 posts Play-Off Hero
    C o b r a wrote: »
    Ppl dunno how to dribble with him, put engine on him and enjoy his max spd and crazy dribbling, balance will not be an issue anymore
    Good reply. I have engine on Suarez and TIF Cavani. Makes so much difference in tight spots. Ronaldo only ever seems to have hunter or hawk on. I should have called the thread "How to get the best out of Ronaldo". May have to give him a go with engine on.

@EuroE92 - IMO (and I've played 1400 games with most of the top keepers), Baia's reflexes and safe handling are insane. Better than Neuer and Fahrmann. On par if not better than DDG or Handanovic.

@benny_powers ; I've been umming and arring about using Suarez, Cavani, and ADP, then using IF/SIF Nainggolan instead of IF Mario. Only problem is I couldn't get along with Griezmann or Mertens, so it puts me off ADP.
  • EuroE92
    304 posts Sunday League Hero
    Furrag85 wrote: »
    C o b r a wrote: »
    Good reply. I have engine on Suarez and TIF Cavani. Makes so much difference in tight spots. Ronaldo only ever seems to have hunter or hawk on. I should have called the thread "How to get the best out of Ronaldo". May have to give him a go with engine on.

@EuroE92 - IMO (and I've played 1400 games with most of the top keepers), Baia's reflexes and safe handling are insane. Better than Neuer and Fahrmann. On par if not better than DDG or Handanovic.

@benny_powers ; I've been umming and arring about using Suarez, Cavani, and ADP, then using IF/SIF Nainggolan instead of IF Mario. Only problem is I couldn't get along with Griezmann or Mertens, so it puts me off ADP.

Good to know. I heard a lot of mixed things about him. So I was very curious.