Full-backs on 'Always Overlap': Suicidal?

SaifR
12842 posts Has That Special Something
Fell into a bit of a slump over the past week, so I decided to take a break from FUT and try out various different formation/tactical/instruction combinations in order to find a new rhythm.

Ended up really (really) enjoying 4-2-3-1 narrow with my full-backs on 'Always Overlap'. Would that be suicidal in FUT though, a gamemode played at high speed and a huge focus on exploiting space on counters? I felt comfortable defending in Division 1 in Online Seasons.

If it makes any difference, the set-up I was using was as follows:

70/40/O
45/45/45/FF
70/70/35/C

ST: Drift Wide, Get In Behind
CAMs: Free Roam
CDMs: Stay Back
RB/LB: Always Overlap
Zlatan
Martial - Mata - Mkhitaryan
Herrera - Pogba
Shaw - Smalling - Bailly - Valencia
De Gea

Comments

• GL
    6507 posts Big Money Move
    I say keep it on balanced. Since the patch on FUT width has been more prominent in people's play style. Unless you're really comfortable in dealing with Counters I don't recommend it on Ultimate Team
  • tikitaka33
    2284 posts Fans' Favourite
    Yeah not a good idea since counters are so OP.
  • c0mrade_K_
    174 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Why you use drift wide for ST ?
  • hasan09876
    15330 posts World Class
    Its suicidal but you'll love it
  • SaifR
    hasan09876 wrote: »

Pretty much my playstyle across every FIFA. Pass, pass, pass, concede.
  • SaifR
    GL wrote: »
    I say keep it on balanced. Since the patch on FUT width has been more prominent in people's play style. Unless you're really comfortable in dealing with Counters I don't recommend it on Ultimate Team

Might have one full-back on Always Overlap at the very least, Antonio Valencia going forward is so useful.
  • SaifR
    c0mrade_K_ wrote: »
    Why you use drift wide for ST ?

Link up with wide CAMs, open up room for other players to move into the vacated space etc etc.
  • Cyodine
    1304 posts Professional
    It's the only way I can play!
  • Thamightyboro
    7066 posts Big Money Move
    If they are a narrow user ill kmock it on once in match and pop the 2 cdms to stay back instead of just the right one.
  • SaifR
    Cyodine wrote: »
    It's the only way I can play!

I definitely saw the benefits of it, can be risky I imagine though.
  • Capablanca
    2281 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited February 2017

Try go defensive
  • exzoo
    31911 posts National Team Captain
    Capablanca wrote: »

Try go defensive

I tried this, still opens big gaps
  • They Caged Non
    4354 posts National Call-Up
    Buy Hysaj, he is solid
  • Capablanca
    SaifR wrote: »
    Fell into a bit of a slump over the past week, so I decided to take a break from FUT and try out various different formation/tactical/instruction combinations in order to find a new rhythm.

Ended up really (really) enjoying 4-2-3-1 narrow with my full-backs on 'Always Overlap'. Would that be suicidal in FUT though, a gamemode played at high speed and a huge focus on exploiting space on counters? I felt comfortable defending in Division 1 in Online Seasons.

70/40/O
    45/45/45/FF
    70/70/35/C

Zlatan
    Herrera - Pogba
    De Gea

If u had let's say Kanté instead of Herrera it might work, but you have 2 attacking CDMs and you'll be punished for that
  • SaifR

70/40/O
    45/45/45/FF
    70/70/35/C

Zlatan
    Herrera - Pogba
    De Gea

If u had let's say Kanté instead of Herrera it might work, but you have 2 attacking CDMs and you'll be punished for that

Unfortunately don't see Chelsea selling him to United any time soon. That was Online Seasons btw. Herrera has decent interception and tackling stats tbf to him, CDMs weren't the issue.

In FUT Kante would definitely be in there.
  • Capablanca

70/40/O
    45/45/45/FF
    70/70/35/C

Zlatan
    Herrera - Pogba
    De Gea

Unfortunately don't see Chelsea selling him to United any time soon. That was Online Seasons btw. Herrera has decent interception and tackling stats tbf to him, CDMs weren't the issue.

Herrera is good, but you have 2 attacking CDMs, try Schneiderlin
  • SimmoEFC
    11462 posts Has That Special Something
    Only formation it would work is 4231 so give it a go.
  • SaifR

70/40/O
    45/45/45/FF
    70/70/35/C

Zlatan
    Herrera - Pogba
    De Gea

Schneiderlin's at Everton mate.

Didn't have any issues with my team selection with United, and that's not the point haha.
  • SaifR
    SimmoEFC wrote: »
    Only formation it would work is 4231 so give it a go.

Yeah may as well.
  • Capablanca

70/40/O
    45/45/45/FF
    70/70/35/C

Zlatan
    Herrera - Pogba
    De Gea

Didn't have any issues with my team selection with United, and that's not the point haha.

Would you refuse Ronaldo in ur squad just because he plays for RM now?
  • SaifR

70/40/O
    45/45/45/FF
    70/70/35/C

Zlatan
    Herrera - Pogba
    De Gea

I think you've missed the point totally :joy:

This isn't Ultimate Team, I was testing tactics in Online Seasons? You know the game mode where you use real teams and up to date squads?
  • Capablanca

70/40/O
    45/45/45/FF
    70/70/35/C

Zlatan
    Herrera - Pogba
    De Gea

I think you've missed the point totally :joy:

This isn't Ultimate Team, I was testing tactics in Online Seasons? You know the game mode where you use real teams and up to date squads?

I thought some die hard utd fan that would never use any other player :joy: