The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC & console, this includes the changes listed here.

The refereeing is still awful

JGCramp
1387 posts Professional
edited January 2017
I don't care to comment on the relative gameplay changes. Some people like them; others hate them. Either way we'll all adapt. What really bothers me is we are several patches into this game and nothing has been done to address the obvious refereeing problems that plague this game every year (yet seem to be getting worse).

How hard can it possibly be to code the game so that sliding in from behind is regularly called a foul? I don't program computer games so the intricacies of the process elude me, but I can't believe improving the refs is an impossible task. It's frustrating when you're players get hammered - and often injured - by reckless challenges that benefit your opponents because the refs acts like he's just been hit with a folding chair in a WWE match.

I think regardless of whether anyone likes or is not so keen on the present patch, the gameplay for everyone would be so much more enjoyable if the designers would put even a minimal effort into improving the painfully inadequate refereeing in this game.

Comments

• Cyodine
    2181 posts Fans' Favourite
    They need to bring back injuries.
  • Retro_G
    32011 posts National Team Captain
    I find the black ref is consistent, but the rest are terrible. You don't won't the refs overly strict either, because it will impact the flow of the game.
  • Stkyfngz
    4847 posts National Call-Up
    Yeah, so many uncalled fouls for me in the penalty box

I mean i've been slid from behind, he got my leg, how is that not a foul and a red if i'm about to score a 1 on 1
  • JGCramp
    1387 posts Professional
    Retro_G wrote: »
    I find the black ref is consistent, but the rest are terrible. You don't won't the refs overly strict either, because it will impact the flow of the game.

I don't disagree with you; game flow is important. There certainly needs to be a proper balance, but there doesn't seem to be much interest or effort from EA to incorporate even a modest improvement in ref performance - like calling slides from behind.
  • SoundersAllDay
    1492 posts Play-Off Hero
    Stkyfngz wrote: »

I mean i've been slid from behind, he got my leg, how is that not a foul and a red if i'm about to score a 1 on 1

Glad to see it isn't just me who dislikes what EA has done to Fifa.
  • leon1309
    4210 posts National Call-Up
    Jup had this in the last game i played. He slide tackled a lot, so i started shielding...he slide tackles from behind, puts my player to the ground (that injury animation kicks in), nothing gets called - and this happened a few times durring the game (I did get the injuries in post game screen as reward for this BS). And this happens a lot lately.
  • SoundersAllDay
    1492 posts Play-Off Hero
    leon1309 wrote: »
    Jup had this in the last game i played. He slide tackled a lot, so i started shielding...he slide tackles from behind, puts my player to the ground (that injury animation kicks in), nothing gets called - and this happened a few times durring the game (I did get the injuries in post game screen as reward for this BS). And this happens a lot lately.

Welcome to Fifa 17.4
  • RedDevil123
    437 posts Sunday League Hero
    My mate recorded this the other day. penalty? :D
  • Stkyfngz
    4847 posts National Call-Up
    Stkyfngz wrote: »

Glad to see it isn't just me who dislikes what EA has done to Fifa.

It has it's up and downs :(
  • Rpmarsh_2706
    515 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I hate it when the ref plays advantage just long enough for the opponent to press and win ball back, then break while your player is still down.

Also had it a lot the other way when you are clear and it gets called back.
  • Denz
    2428 posts Fans' Favourite
    The tackle from behind resulting in a verbal warning is silly, nailed on red the world over apart from in prisons.

Thinking about it I've not seen many reds at all in this game.
  • PelzyWelzy
    10185 posts Has That Special Something
    Denz wrote: »
    The tackle from behind resulting in a verbal warning is silly, nailed on red the world over apart from in prisons.

Thinking about it I've not seen many reds at all in this game.

Now you mention it neither have I.

What I don't get is how you can be completely pole axed and wiped out from behind one moment with no consequences then a minute later have a free kick called for an innocuous shoulder to shoulder physical challenge.

It's just so inconsistent.
  • JGCramp
    1387 posts Professional
    I hate it when the ref plays advantage just long enough for the opponent to press and win ball back, then break while your player is still down.

Also had it a lot the other way when you are clear and it gets called back.

I wasn't even thinking about this, but you're totally right. This is really obnoxious.

@PelzyWelzy is also correct. Players are more likely (though still unlikely) to get called for something innocuous rather than a vicious slide or obvious obstruction.

Friendly seasons post-patch: No foul

Screen_Shot_2017_01_20_at_8_23_51_AM.png

Offline: No foul

Screen_Shot_2017_01_20_at_8_26_38_AM.png

• Batman442
    4405 posts National Call-Up
    Tbf ref's don't always get it right anyway, but yeah some decisions are a joke
  • Aspral
    3796 posts National Call-Up
    I was 3-1 up earlier and needed the win for promotion.

There was a string of free kicks awarded to him until he scored which were laughable. I couldn't have got the ball cleaner and any contact was a free kick.

But when I broke up the field my opponent was kung fu kicking me and two footing me with absolutely nothing given.

The advantage is awful too. It's either too much or not enough.