The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

How to combat constant slide tackle defense when no fouls are called?

JGCramp
1387 posts Professional
edited January 2017
Any advice? I just played an opponent who slid into me from all angles every time I got the ball. When I had a bit of space I was able to L2R2 and avoid some of the incessant slides, but most of the time I got buried as soon as I got the ball and the ref didn't call anything (of course, I attempted one slide tackled and was called for a foul). He/she must have attempted 50+ slide tackles during the match. I'm starting to think the more reckless and aggressive your defensive play, the less likely the refs are to call a foul, which is shockingly unlikely to begin with.

It's really frustrating that EA has created - and continues to foster by not changing anything - gaming conditions where this is a viable defensive tactic. The refereeing and tackling in this game are just ridiculous, as is the fact that defensive player ratings are completely irrelevant. I'll bet if you use someone like Andre Hahn with his high defensive workrates at CB his tackling would be just as good as any CB in the game.

Comments

• sounders3
    4492 posts National Call-Up
    The slide tackles are more absurd than ever due to fouls never being called, I get taken out from behind all the time and play just goes on as if nothing happened.
  • Izzy2K17
    11698 posts Has That Special Something
    edited January 2017
    I usually try to get rid of the ball somehow if I see that he'll go in for a slide tackle. It usually get them a gets or a yellow and they usually stop or just do it less
  • JGCramp
    1387 posts Professional
    Izzy2K17 wrote: »
    I usually try to get rid of the ball somehow if I see that he'll go in for a slide tackle. It usually get them a gets or a yellow and they usually stop or just do it less

That's true. I was having one of those nights, though, when everything was unresponsive. So my players would either just stand there or pass the ball straight to my opponent.
  • Tripledoubleyoo
    265 posts Sunday League Hero
    I think they just got refs from the BPL in the game...
  • Shaqattack6285
    966 posts Professional
    JGCramp wrote: »

That's true. I was having one of those nights, though, when everything was unresponsive. So my players would either just stand there or pass the ball straight to my opponent.

That happens randomly whatever you do...the ball goes to the opposition...either pass which bumps and heads to your opponent or get slide tackled from behind with no hope...and worst part is if you try and take the ball it bumps off and heads back to the opponent!!!! So frustrating...makes the opponent feel like a frikkin pro player
  • ahsan85
    258 posts Sunday League Hero
    Try to pass quickly around like one touch passing he can get easily yellow or red for it
  • JGCramp
    1387 posts Professional
    ahsan85 wrote: »
    Try to pass quickly around like one touch passing he can get easily yellow or red for it

Thanks. I guess I need to work on moving the ball around more quickly.
  • JGCramp
    1387 posts Professional
    JGCramp wrote: »

That happens randomly whatever you do...the ball goes to the opposition...either pass which bumps and heads to your opponent or get slide tackled from behind with no hope...and worst part is if you try and take the ball it bumps off and heads back to the opponent!!!! So frustrating...makes the opponent feel like a frikkin pro player

Yeah, that was happening last night, for sure. I conceded a goal at one point after I made 6 or 7 clean tackles that just bounced right bak to the feet of my opponent's players. The game can be frustrating.
  • WTFsmirky08
    2973 posts National Call-Up
    If I see a slide coming I tend to turn and shield, that generally works, that and move the ball quickly

A couple of yellows tends to change their minds