help with memorizing maths trigo

DeeJay-00
1717 posts Play-Off Hero
I need to memorize all the 30+ trigo formulas ranging from sin (a + b) = sinacosb + sinbcosa and such till like tanAtan(60-A)tan(60+A)=tan3A

I have an exam coming up and I just can't cope with this its making me depressed really, any tips?

Comments

• DeeJay-00
    1717 posts Play-Off Hero
    Help save a life literally
  • Meguel
    357 posts Sunday League Hero
    Make flash cards, write half of the formula on one side and the other on the other. Flick through them until you can recall them all. Small so you can carry them around too.

Short of that you could just copy them down repetitively.
  • ukler8
    4744 posts National Call-Up
    Tbqh I've never found a way, always end up losing some marks in trigno. You will just have to read them again and again, I think.
  • JT
    582 posts Sunday League Hero
    Write them out over and over until you get to the point where you can recall them without looking? I'm sure the formula booklet used to have some of these in though have you checked?
  • Robin
    67 posts
    edited May 2015
    Meguel wrote: »
    Make flash cards, write half of the formula on one side and the other on the other. Flick through them until you can recall them all. Small so you can carry them around too.

I did this for Ochem when I had to memorize over 40 reactions for an exam. It helped a lot, so I would recommend this.

BTW, what class is this OP? Trig, pre-Cal?
  • DeeJay-00
    1717 posts Play-Off Hero

I'll try this thanks!

ukler8 wrote: »
    Tbqh I've never found a way, always end up losing some marks in trigno. You will just have to read them again and again, I think.

Which trigo is that? I had no troubles with GCSE trigo, its IIT preparation trigo I'm doing now

JT wrote: »
    Write them out over and over until you get to the point where you can recall them without looking? I'm sure the formula booklet used to have some of these in though have you checked?

I'll try the flash cards and try to memorize then if that doesn't then I'll write them down repeatedly
    Robin wrote: »

I did this for Ochem when I had to memorize over 40 reactions for an exam. It helped a lot, so I would recommend this.

BTW, what class is this OP? Trig, pre-Cal?

Yep I'm gonna do it too

This is kinda both, below is a pic of some examples of the formulae I have

• DeeJay-00
    1717 posts Play-Off Hero
    IMG_20150521_202922.jpg
  • Monkey
    8345 posts League Winner
    Do you not get the big formula booklet? That has the double angle formulas which you can sub in to get several formulas.
  • DeeJay-00
    1717 posts Play-Off Hero
    Monkey wrote: »
    Do you not get the big formula booklet? That has the double angle formulas which you can sub in to get several formulas.

I'm not sure which formula you're talking about (give an example) but the above pic is a part if my formula sheet

• Chow
    2525 posts Fans' Favourite
    They probably get given the Sine or Cosine rule, but not all of them. Also, you can derive the three Cosine rules - if you can do that, then there's no need to even memorise them. Either Google it or PM me and I can show you.
  • DeeJay-00
    1717 posts Play-Off Hero
    Chow wrote: »
    They probably get given the Sine or Cosine rule, but not all of them. Also, you can derive the three Cosine rules - if you can do that, then there's no need to even memorise them. Either Google it or PM me and I can show you.

Yeah I knw those rules, that was 2 years ago. You mean a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - (2bc x cos A) right?
  • DeeJay-00
    1717 posts Play-Off Hero
    Stuff like tan A + cot A = 2cosec 2A is stuff u can't remember
  • Monkey
    8345 posts League Winner
    5a434d4844d4805fa3e8d223d724249e.png

this thing
  • Premier-Sky
    2880 posts Fans' Favourite
    Which country are you from and what level are you studying at? I remember for my A levels I used to get a book with most of the formulae in.
  • DeeJay-00
    1717 posts Play-Off Hero
    Which country are you from and what level are you studying at? I remember for my A levels I used to get a book with most of the formulae in.

I'm same year as AS Levels, I just finished my GCSEs and went to a very high-level college preparation coaching class + Indian educational board.

• Premier-Sky
    2880 posts Fans' Favourite
    DeeJay-00 wrote: »

I'm same year as AS Levels, I just finished my GCSEs and went to a very high-level college preparation coaching class + Indian educational board.

How long until your exams? Just do as many practise questions as possible and you should learn the formulae through repetition

• DeeJay-00
    1717 posts Play-Off Hero
    DeeJay-00 wrote: »

How long until your exams? Just do as many practise questions as possible and you should learn the formulae through repetition

I have a test in a week that will sort me in my class, so I want to get into the top class

Trying the questions but I can't answer them :|

• DeeJay-00
    1717 posts Play-Off Hero
    Thanks for the tip @Meguel
  • Meguel
    357 posts Sunday League Hero
    No problem, I wouldn't recommend doing practice papers for memorizing formulas, you won't be doing enough of the same formula for it to stick in your head too.

Good luck with your exam @DeeJay-00
  • DeeJay-00
    1717 posts Play-Off Hero
    No problem, I wouldn't recommend doing practice papers for memorizing formulas, you won't be doing enough of the same formula for it to stick in your head too.

Good luck with your exam @DeeJay-00

Thanks man
  • MyAccount
    1383 posts Professional
    I would say make flash cards. It's the best way for memorizing stuff in a short period of time. You probably won't retain much, but if you just need it for one test you'll be fine.

What course is that for anyway? I remember in my pre-cal class junior year of high school they made us remember a bunch of trig formulas (not that many though). Was pretty pointless, because I've just finished my 3rd calculus course in college, and we barely ever use trig, and when we do most formulas are usually given to us.

Best of luck on your exam.