Too many things you have no control over that decide games

dopetothemax
2015 posts Fans' Favourite
I'm not talking about "those things". I don't believe in any of that. I'm talking about simple things you have no control over but can drastically influence the outcome of each game. For example, how your or your opponent's keeper will perform. Or whether or not your player will control a pass properly. How many AI interceptions happen for either side. These are just a few examples of things you can't control in any way, yet they can determine a win or a loss for you. There's far too many random things happening game to game for this to ever be considered a competitive game. I guess I have to adjust my mindset to reminding myself each game that this game sucks and there are far too many broken elements. If I lose, it doesn't mean I'm bad and if I win, it doesn't mean I'm good.

Comments

• Muzza11
    8434 posts League Winner
    some players are better at predicting than others, some games I see how much my opponent moves their players to intercept the pass. In terms of the goalkeeper performing, its just luck it happens IRL one game Stekelenburg performs vs Man City the next game he messes up and concedes to Man Utd.
  • dopetothemax
    Muzza11 wrote: »
    some players are better at predicting than others, some games I see how much my opponent moves their players to intercept the pass. In terms of the goalkeeper performing, its just luck it happens IRL one game Stekelenburg performs vs Man City the next game he messes up and concedes to Man Utd.

Ya I get the goalkeeper part for sure. Neuer can concede 5 the same day Benaglio stops 10 shots. It's all possible. I can tell when my opponent intercepts me and when the AI does. And at least 3-5 times a game I'll position my player pefectly to intercept a pass and he'll do that stupid animation where he lifts his leg and lets the ball go right under him. Those sorts of things are what I'm more referring to.
  • Runefang
    6045 posts Big Money Move
    The only thing you can be sure of (hopefully) is that you and your opponent are playing the same game, over time the odds are equal. Skill matters more than any other element in the game.

There are many issues with the game, but randomness isn't one of them for me. Fix these things first:
    1. Why both of my 6'2" 88+ rated CB with a 90+ marking stat aren't actually marking the 5'6" midget striker when there is nobody else in the box I can't understand. I should concede these type of goals once in a 100 games.
    2. Input lag. My opponent takes a free kick, I press the jump button to get the wall to jump. The wall never jumps and I concede.
    3. Balance out the stats, every year specific stat combinations are too effective. High stamina and aggression in a CM. High balance and strength in a striker.
    4. The game itself is boring when you play PTB every game. Honestly this is the biggest issue I have, it's not entertaining even if realistic.
  • Libguy
    4834 posts National Call-Up
    1. Why both of my 6'2" 88+ rated CB with a 90+ marking stat aren't actually marking the 5'6" midget striker when there is nobody else in the box I can't understand. I should concede these type of goals once in a 100 games.

eVYamD6.gif

POTM Sterling, so 42 heading accuracy, 69 strength, 64 jumping
  • Napoli9
    1964 posts Fans' Favourite
    eVYamD6.gif

This pisses me off.. we all know headers are just a button smash fest, that timing bullcrap is nonsence, pleases tell me why 5'4" Giovinco is jumping up and out heading a ball, marked by IF Bonnucci
  • dopetothemax
    eVYamD6.gif

Another thing you have zero control over. Just spam the button and hope your player is the one chosen to win the header. They need to remove button spam from every aspect of the game. You should have to time everything.
  • Runefang
    eVYamD6.gif

This is the guy who in real life has scored 1 header in the premier league in his last 45 games....
  • Libguy
    4834 posts National Call-Up
    Runefang wrote: »
    eVYamD6.gif

This is the guy who in real life has scored 1 header in the premier league in his last 45 games....

Tbf, his ingame stats certainly reflect that.
  • Runefang
    Libguy wrote: »
    Runefang wrote: »
    eVYamD6.gif

Tbf, his ingame stats certainly reflect that.

They do, but the game mechanics don't turn that into a reality.
  • nsholmberg11
    1173 posts Professional
    I'm not talking about "those things". I don't believe in any of that. I'm talking about simple things you have no control over but can drastically influence the outcome of each game. For example, how your or your opponent's keeper will perform. Or whether or not your player will control a pass properly. How many AI interceptions happen for either side. These are just a few examples of things you can't control in any way, yet they can determine a win or a loss for you. There's far too many random things happening game to game for this to ever be considered a competitive game. I guess I have to adjust my mindset to reminding myself each game that this game sucks and there are far too many broken elements. If I lose, it doesn't mean I'm bad and if I win, it doesn't mean I'm good.

Excellent points, couldn't agree more. So little skill and so much bs that's completely out of your control
  • Thomas
    3044 posts National Call-Up
    Couldn't agree more.

Hate the bs animations ruining a great chance or save.

For instance when your defender is perfectly placed to block a shot, and lift his foot and ball goes under that foot.

Or the bs when you pass the ball and the reciving player run away from the ball in a different direction for a half second and then start running towards the ball etc.

Or a defender you don't control casually walks away from the striker who has the ball :D creating an open space in your defence
  • Raymondo123
    1119 posts Professional
    Thomas wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.

Hate the bs animations ruining a great chance or save.

For instance when your defender is perfectly placed to block a shot, and lift his foot and ball goes under that foot.

Or the bs when you pass the ball and the reciving player run away from the ball in a different direction for a half second and then start running towards the ball etc.

Or a defender you don't control casually walks away from the striker who has the ball :D creating an open space in your defence

Slide then and the ball won't go under him.
  • LDevlin
    1874 posts Play-Off Hero
    People moan about consistency in the game and refs decisions etc, but the fact is it's realistic it's literally just like real life games, can't win them all!
  • McRaven
    4384 posts National Call-Up
    Have you guys had the thing where your players suddenly pass the ball even though you didn't press a button? Had that happen to me a couple of times.

Most of the problems I have are with the defence. The height thing is a great example. I also hate it when a player thinks he gets fouled but the game plays on. So he's there complaining while I'm like GET UP AND GET AFTER THE BALL YOU IDIOT.
  • S P 4 C E Y
    2436 posts Fans' Favourite
    McRaven wrote: »
    Have you guys had the thing where your players suddenly pass the ball even though you didn't press a button? Had that happen to me a couple of times.

Most of the problems I have are with the defence. The height thing is a great example. I also hate it when a player thinks he gets fouled but the game plays on. So he's there complaining while I'm like GET UP AND GET AFTER THE BALL YOU IDIOT.

Absolutely.

The worst of the worst (for me) is the slide tackle animations which don't win the ball, but your player hurdles the challenge, comes unbalanced and the ball is lost.

DON'T HURDLE THE CHALLENGE - TAKE THE GODDAM PENALTY.
  • maXmood
    1993 posts Fans' Favourite
    d593691e107e8c89fec8ac3d4aa7465d.gif
  • maXmood
    1993 posts Fans' Favourite
    how's that a penalty? my player hit the ball, his player trips and gets a penalty.. he scored and PTB. smh
    1f38af5b010a82bf505fe02de0c16ba2.gif
  • SuperReAlex
    119 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited January 2017
    often happens that my players pass/shoot without i press the buttons...
  • McRaven
    often happens that my players pass/shoot without i press the buttons...

Sometimes they give a really great pass so I just roll with it, but most of the time they pass to the opposition. Really frustrating when you try to play possession/tiki taka.
  • DobbyDooDah
    5698 posts Big Money Move
    In game injuries, players complaining off the ball, randomly lifting leg instead of intercepting.

Those 3 for me as it's random as you like. Goalie performance I can deal with, but if you're the one who happens to get an injury and they're stuck on the ground for an age it can cause you to lose the game.

Pot luck should not be part of the competetive mode.
  • Sercs
    18651 posts World Class
    In game injuries, players complaining off the ball, randomly lifting leg instead of intercepting.

Those 3 for me as it's random as you like. Goalie performance I can deal with, but if you're the one who happens to get an injury and they're stuck on the ground for an age it can cause you to lose the game.

aha yeah the complaining one really gets me

• McRaven

Once had an injured defender in my penalty box, causing him to negate off side :neutral:
    Also because of the WL and playing a lot of games in a row, this stuff becomes a lot more apparent.
  • CFC Jacob
    586 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Everything you mentioned is why the game will fail as a esport. I'm almost certain there's pros that missed out on the regionals because of some random crap or a disconnect. When there's tens of thousands of pounds on the line you want to be in control.

As a football game the randomness is somewhat realistic, but there's too much randomness for my liking. Especially when it's so obvious that he **** factor increases ten fold in the 45th and 90th minute.
  • nsholmberg11
    1173 posts Professional
    hate when your keeper moves out of the way intentionally. had one coming straight at Lloris's face, he falls down after the shot is taken, going directly where his face was and never moved his hands.

Its very obvious when this game wants something to happen, and simply can't do a damn thing. its equally as frustrating as the button delay
  • pittphan
    3023 posts National Call-Up
    I'll throw this one in here... not a great ball from Willian, but his keeper makes a meal and jumps into Diego Costa... leaving me with a tap in to draw level in the WL....... OR, it's a foul by Costa on he keeper and a freekick the other way. Right, great.

xDz93Au.gif
  • LeonidasJB
    15028 posts World Class
    I conceded a goal yesterday from a real tame shot that my GK was just going to collect easily, but the AI made my defender kind of slide/block/poke thingy and flicked it over and to the side of my GK. If I had been controlling the Defender, I wouldn't have been quite as annoyed, but I was controlling the defender nearest to the Attacker.