Check out the pitch notes for an update on upcoming content here.

The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on console & PC and includes the changes listed here.

These developers continue to drop the ball re. the refereeing

JGCramp
1387 posts Professional
Last night I played four online matches and my opponents managed:

Match 1: 11 tackles and 0 fouls
Match 2: 11 tackles and 0 fouls
Match 3: 14 tackles and 0 fouls
Match 4: 25 tackles and 2 fouls (0 direct free kicks).

4 matches: 61 tackles against my players and 2 fouls awarded in the midfield. I didn't receive 1 direct free kick in four matches. I won 2, lost 1, and drew 1. So this isn't a complaint thread or anything because I feel the game screwed me. In fact, I don't feel it screwed me: I lost a game I felt I should have won, and won a match I most definitely deserved to lose. Fair enough.

Rather, my point is the inability or unwillingness of this design team to correct an issue in this game as fundamental as refereeing decisions (or, at least, explain why the refereeing is intended to function this way in game) and tackling logic (e.g., why defenders can obstruct, truck through players, and slide in from all angles without being called for a foul) is a real issue that needs to be addressed.

I'm not intending to say FIFA 17 is a bad game. The game clearly still functions well enough; we can all still have fun playing matches. But, in particular, if you're going to market a competitive approach to FUT this year with weekend league, then you need functional refereeing in the game. Instead we have a game in which players can get battered all over the pitch without a foul being called, and every player - from someone like Pique to a 48 rated bronze on 2 chem - can make perfect slide tackles or elastic-legged standing tackles.

It just feels like at the start of 16 there was a spate of awful penalty decisions, and the developers' solution was to turn all the refs into eunuchs. But that's no solution at all; it just corrected one problem by going so far to the other extreme as to replace it with another problem. The game needs balance; the game needs fouls to properly be called by the refs. Sliding in from behind has to be called a foul. Obstruction has to be called a foul. Reckless challenges have to be called fouls. Gameplay balance is essential and the development team need to do a hell of a lot better than what they have thus far produced with the refereeing and tackling in this game.

I hope this doesn't read like I'm bitter because of losing, or something, because that's not my intent. I'm actually trying to make a constructive point.

Comments

• Argentus
    672 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Agree 1000%. My only guess is that they don't want to mess with game flow by calling too many fouls. It would unbearable with stoppages every minute. But it's comical how many times the rugby/WWE style tackles don't get called. I even got slide tackled in the box from behind when shooting...ref says play on.
  • Xtc
    5186 posts Big Money Move
    in my opinion its the single biggest issue wight the game. Fixing it would change the game so much. Yes Im aware there are other big issues, but this one thing would make a lot of other issues less relevant
  • Nate
    2152 posts Fans' Favourite
    Seen/heard this in a lot of matches I've played or my friends have played in, theres games where games are decided on no calls that lead to easy counters that put it completely out of your hands.

Very discouraging to see the foul system so broken, it went from everything being a penalty to now nothing being called in the space of a few FIFAs :D .

The development team seems to basically knee ❤️❤️❤️❤️ react to anything where if it's too much, they will completely change it to be the exact opposite.
  • JGCramp
    1387 posts Professional
    Xtc wrote: »
    in my opinion its the single biggest issue wight the game. Fixing it would change the game so much. Yes Im aware there are other big issues, but this one thing would make a lot of other issues less relevant

I agree completely with this point.