Real Zaragoza - The story of J. Baldó - 2018-2019 September

Comments

• KubaTown
    696 posts An Exciting Prospect
    BOOM!

Congrats on the promotion, back into the promised land! Let's go again this new season!
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    SEASON 2017-2018
    FiTE5iZ.png

Real Zaragoza has announced the renewal of their coach Joan Baldó after the promotion achieved by the club in the playoff. During the last months, there were rumors about the possible departure of the coach, due to differences with the Board of the club. Even though publically Joan Baldó always confirmed his commitment with the project, internal sources highlight the bad relationships of the coach with the President Lapetra, who was not convinced with the results of the team in certain moments of the season.

It looks like the final success of the team has forced President Lapetra to reconsider his idea, especially since the coach had the support of the Sports Director, Enric Julià. In the last weeks, Julià highlighted the final victory in the playoff and stated that “Baldó is the best coach we can have at this moment”.

Joan Baldó expressed his happiness: "My only idea was to continue. We started a project last year and we achieved the promotion. We reached an agreement and I am happy for it and willing to go back to work".

5BRQuAS.png
    c8NZ2Jb.png

André Castro has completed his signing with Real Zaragoza from Kasimpasa SK (Turkey). The Portuguese central midfielder, former Porto and Sporting Gijón player, had reached an agreement with Zaragoza last January 2017.

André Castro has said that "returning to LaLiga is fantastic for me and my family, it's a great league, one of the best in the World. Real Zaragoza has a Primera División project, which is very important for me. I hope to help the team to reach all the objectives".

Joan Baldó explained that "André Castro will give us depth in midfield. It's going to be a tough and long season and we need quality players like him. He has experience in LaLiga, but also in important teams like Porto. I welcome him to the team".
  • subpop
    VEylOzQ.png

A new season is about to start and there big are changes on the benches of the top clubs of LaLiga Santader, except in the case of Atlético Madrid. Despite all the rumours that link Diego Simeone with several top European clubs, the Argentinian will continue one more and it will be his 7th season in the club. After the second Liga title in the last four years, Simeone will try to bring the so wished Champions League to the club for the first time ever. The runner-up last year, Sevilla FC, could also keep Jorge Sampaoli, who was seeked by several top European clubs. Sampaoli was linked with clubs like Barcelona or some Italian clubs, but Bielsa's disciple will continue giving lessons from the Sanchez Pizjuán.

The main changes are in the two giants: Real Madrid and Barcelona. After Florentino Pérez, Real Madrid’s president, decided to fire Zinedine Zidane, “Los Merengues” have signed the prestigious Italian coach, Massimiliano Allegri, who had just won his 3rd Scudetto in 3 years with Juventus FC. At the same time, in the Camp Nou, after Luis Enrique resigned last season due to personal reasons, FC Barcelona have decided to promote Juan Carlos Unzué to the head manager position. Unzué has been assistant coach in the club in the last 15 years with different coaches, like Frank Rijkaard, Pep Guardiola and Luis Enrique.

Aside the top clubs, there are some other changes in LaLiga. Marcelino joins Valencia after his turbulent exit of Villarreal last season. In Las Palmas, Quique Setién leaves the club as a consequence of his differences with the Board, who decided to continue betting for the attacking style with Paco Jémez. Real Sociedad, after their disappointing season, have replaced Eusebio Sacristán, who has joined Celta, for Quique Flores. Finally, the Catalan club Espanyol have signed the Argentinian Eduardo Berizzo (former Celta manager) to try to fight for higher goals.
    rwHLTcv.png

PREMIER LEAGUE

In the rest of Europe, there were some major changes too, except in the case of the Premier League. All the top clubs of England will continue with the managers they had last season, except for Tottenham Hotspur. The Londoners, after a disappointing 6th position in the league, have signed Brendan Rodgers to drive the destiny of the team.

Antonio Conte will continue after his magnificent season with Chelsea to claim the title back in Stamford Bridge. In Manchester, José Mourinho at United and Pep Guardiola at City will have a new spell at their clubs. The Mourinho-era at Manchester United started with an Europa League title after finishing as runner-up in the Premiership. In the Etihad stadium, Pep Guardiola failed to convince in his first season. The third position isn’t too bright for a manager that is used to win titles with Barça and Bayern. In the case of Arsenal, Arsene Wenger faces his last season with Arsenal. The French manager has announced that he will retire next June 2018 and this is going to be his last season with the Gunners, where he has made history despite the bad results in recent years. In Liverpool, despite the bad results last season, Jürgen Klopp will have a new chance to take the team to the top positions of the Premiership.

SERIE A

On the other hand, we will see lots of new faces in Serie A. Starting with the champion, Juventus have signed their legendary star, Zinedine Zidane, who will try to continue with the extraordinary run of success of the last 6 years. Zidane has been signed not only to extend the “domestic dictatorship”, but also to bring the Champions League to the museum of the club, the only black spot in the club in recent years. In their main rival in the last years, AS Roma, Luciano Spalletti has been given a new chance to dethrone Juventus.

In Internazionale, the new owner Erick Thohir has put his eyes in the Premier League to name the Argentinian Mauricio Pocchettino as manager of the club. The Treble of 2010 already is too far in time, but the new ownership wants to bring fresh air to the club. In the case of the neighbours AC Milan, the Chinese group who holds the ownership of the club after the successful Berlusconi era has signed a legend of the club: Frank Rijkaard. For a club used to success, 6 years without a Scudetto look like an eternity (2 titles in the 21st century). In the South of Italy, Napoli also finished with the Sarri era to bring Claudio Ranieri back home after his historical Premier League title and later dismissal at Leicester City.

BUNDESLIGA

In the Bundesliga, the domestic winners, FC Bayern and Carlo Ancellotti; and the runner-ups and surprising European champions, Bayer 04 Leverkusen and Tayfun Korkut, continue in their positions, just like Andries Jonker at Wolfsburg and Dieter Hecking in Borrussia M’Gladbach.

In Dortmund, Thomas Tuchel was fired after he wasn’t able to repeat Klopp’s success at the Westfalenstadion. The new manager of the North Rhine-Westphalia club is the Austrian Ralph Hasenhüttl after his promising seasons in clubs like Inglostadt and RB Leipzig in recent years. Another club with new faces on the bench is FC Schalke 04, who has signed Julian Nagelsmann after his brilliant season with 1899 Hoffenheim, where he has spent all his career as football manager, mainly in secondary roles.

PORTUGAL AND THE NETHERLANDS

In other European clubs, there were important changes too. In Portugal, the title achieved by Benfica had consequences for Nuno Espirito Santo (Porto) and Jorge Jesus (Sporting CP), who couldn’t keep their positions. The “Dragoes” of Porto signed Manuel Pellegrini, who didn’t have a club last year, and Sporting decided to sign another South American coach, in this case, Gerardo Martino, former Barcelona and Argentina coach. Finally, in the Eredivisie, the lack of titles had consequences for Peter Bosz. The club of Amsterdam has recently named their legend Dennis Bergkamp to try to reconquer the Dutch crown again.

7PWrmC3.png
  • subpop
    zL76wmK.png

8At5JoB.png
  • subpop
    qE1v3Xk.png
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    Sorry for Montella but hey, Frankie Rijkaard is Frankie Rijkaard! :)
    You don't know how sweet are the memories I recall when I hear about either Rijkaard, Van Basten or Gullit... Even if I was just a child when they used to play for Milan...

Good luck for the new season man, it looks like youve dominated the summer tournament so far, hopefully you could keep the form going!
  • subpop
    ale85bg wrote: »
    Sorry for Montella but hey, Frankie Rijkaard is Frankie Rijkaard! :)
    You don't know how sweet are the memories I recall when I hear about either Rijkaard, Van Basten or Gullit... Even if I was just a child when they used to play for Milan...

Good luck for the new season man, it looks like youve dominated the summer tournament so far, hopefully you could keep the form going!

Yes. I don't know how they never thought about him. In Barcelona he did a great job.

In Zaragoza we are short of money. We need to reinforce our attack. A striker is necessary. We are working on something. I wish I can give you a surprise soon!
  • Danimal5981
    2244 posts Fans' Favourite
    Rijkaard was first pick this summer for Ajax but refused and retired, so they went with Bosz.
    Dennis Bergkamp is kinda tricky: good trainer and all, but afraid to fly (heights) and little personality.
  • Greenman019
    2745 posts Fans' Favourite
    A very dominant start, hopefully it'll follow on into the season proper for you.

"Great Character" Rodgers at Spurs :o
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    Very nice update a lot of detail gone into it great start in pre season as well
  • subpop
    Rijkaard was first pick this summer for Ajax but refused and retired, so they went with Bosz.
    Dennis Bergkamp is kinda tricky: good trainer and all, but afraid to fly (heights) and little personality.

About Rijkaard, I know he retired but some days ago I read in a Catalan newspaper that he may be reconsidering his decision. The article said that he wouldn't return to LaLiga after his stage in Barcelona, but he would consider other offers.

In this fiction story I could imagine Rijkaard at AC Milan.

About Ajax, you know the club much better than I, and I even share the opinion with you. I thought that after the bad FIFA season of Ajax in this story, Bosz would be fired. Thinking about eventual possibilities, Bergkamp seemed a likely decision... which one would have been yours though?
    A very dominant start, hopefully it'll follow on into the season proper for you.

"Great Character" Rodgers at Spurs :o

Hopefully! Willing to start the season.

Yes... Rodgers needed another chance. He was very near not so long ago.
  • subpop
    edited March 2017
    ODiS8r7.png

el0I2Y7.png

ZLhQkqw.png
  • subpop
    tmwT4J4.png

Giovanni Simeone has joined Real Zaragoza from Genoa for a 6.2 M € transfer fee which also included the homegrown player Sergio Buenacasa, who joins the Italian club. Giovanni Simeone (22 years old) is professional since 2 years ago and he has developed his career in River Plate, Banfield (on loan) and last year in Genoa.

Despite his age, he has made his debut with the Argentinian NT in the Olympic Games 2016, playing 3 games. In the U-20 team, he scored 10 goals in 12 matches. Giovanni Simeone was presented today in La Romareda, where he will play his debut in a few days. This is the conference press:

Q: Welcome to Zaragoza. Which are your first thoughts about your signing? What made you sign for our club?

GS: Thank you. I am very happy. I grew up in Spain and I know this football. When Zaragoza knocked on my door and I had the chance to talk with the manager, I didn’t hesitate much, because I really wanted to have the chance to triumph in LaLiga. I’ve been very happy in River and Genoa and I had to work a lot, but this is a dream come true. I wanted to play here, because this is where the best players are: Messi, Ronaldo, Suárez, Griezmann… you want to compete against them, to prove yourself… it’s a challenge.

Q: What kind of player you are? What can you offer to Real Zaragoza?

GS: As a striker, my environment is the box, this is where I feel comfortable. It’s hard to define oneself, but I would say that I’ve always paid attention to players like Fernando Torres, Diego Costa… although the player I admire the most is Radamel Falcao. If I have the chance, I try it. I like to be a pain in the neck for the defenders. In Zaragoza, I hope to keep growing. It’s a beautiful project with young but talented players. We are a humble club, but we are ambitious too.

Q: Probably this is the obvious question… are you thinking about how it’s going to be to face your father Diego Simeone?

GS: Of course! My relationship with my father is really good. His advises are very important to me. I’ve been in the Calderón many times, wearing the Atlético de Madrid shirt in the stands. It’s an important club for my family, so it’s going to be special for sure, but at the end one of the main lessons I got from my father is that you have to give the 100% for the shirt you wear… today I wear the Zaragoza shirt for the first time and I’ll defend these colors with all my heart.
  • Greenman019
    Well pre-season over, the real stuff begins soon.

Not heard of Giovanni tbh but he seems very handy rating wise.
  • subpop
    Well pre-season over, the real stuff begins soon.

Not heard of Giovanni tbh but he seems very handy rating wise.

Giovanni Simeone is Diego Simeone's son. Very young... it is not that he had a great career in Argentina, but he jumped to Serie A to Genoa.

In real life he's doing quite well for his age, considering that he is not in a top team and the level of the Italian league.

I think this season got famous for his 2 goals vs Juve.

In the game... decent level and not too expensive. My star signing... but considering my short budget for transfers and salary, it was impossible to go for safer options.
  • JoshDFC
    Good signing in Simeone he has had a very good season apparently
  • ale85bg
    Yeah, Simeone is having a pretty good season and he'l probably be an interesting player this summer on the market. Well done in signing him! :)
  • Danimal5981
    subpop wrote: »
    About Ajax, you know the club much better than I, and I even share the opinion with you. I thought that after the bad FIFA season of Ajax in this story, Bosz would be fired. Thinking about eventual possibilities, Bergkamp seemed a likely decision... which one would have been yours though?

Hmmm good question. I always thought Michael Laudrup would fit the bill well. Clarence Seedorf has been mentioned, though he doesn't play the Dutch game, which is as good as mandatory at Ajax. Alex Pastoor (rather unknown to most, currently Sparta Rotterdam) and Frank Peerenboom (currently Ajax U19). And I somehow hope Jaap Stam returning to us. Knows the game well, the club well and is a rather 'no ****' type of guy which I'd like to see.
  • subpop
    edited March 2017
    OBmZ8LO.png
    SrnnWUr.png

HIGHLIGHTS

ZgKpADj.png
    DMUcOQd.png
    Post edited by subpop on
  • subpop
    XIpWyD3.png

• subpop
    edited March 2017
    LqTZMIJ.png
    bopFePV.png

9K9ZfdS.png
    uZDkl87.png
    Post edited by subpop on
  • subpop
    JKWqa0X.png

LaLiga

The teams of the capital of Spain have been the main actors of the market this summer. Atlético Madrid was involved in the main operation of the season: Jan Oblak was sold to Arsenal for a record fee for the club, 82 million euros. It wasn’t the only transferred player this summer, Angel Correa who had a secondary role in the Spanish champion joined Everton for 28,5 million euros too. This huge cash entry allowed Atlético Madrid to fund the signings that reinforce the team for the season that has just started. Atlético have signed Schmeichel from Leicester for 15,5 million euros to replace Jan Oblak, but have included the rising central back Lucas Hérnandez in the operation; Yevhen Konoplyanka, from Sevilla for 21 million euros and the right full back Bruno Peres, from Torino, for 23,5 million euros complete the squad for the season that is about to come.

Real Madrid, after a season without titles, have decided to refresh some positions in the team: The Greek 26 year old central back Kostas Manolas has left AS Roma for 39 million euros and is supposed to be Sergio Ramos’ pair for this new season; and the 22 year old winger Gelson Martins is a bet for the future, signed from Sporting CP, for 36,5 million euros. Both players are the highest offers from LaLiga this summer.

On the other hand, the other giant of LaLiga, FC Barcelona, have been quite shy this summer. Despite the failure of last year and the arrival of a new coach, the club keep believing in the same squad. The Catalan club have renewed the stars of the team in recent years and now they face Financial Fair Play problems, which seem to be the main cause of these restrictions.

In the case of Sevilla, the fans have seen how several players left the club, which great profits for the club: The 28 year old midfielder N’Zonzi has signed for Paris Saint-Germain for 22,5 million euros, Konoplyanka went to Atlético Madrid for 21 million, Kolodziejczak joined AS Roma for 19 million and Cristoforo was transferred to Athletic Club for 13 million. This time, the club of Sampaoli didn’t reinvest the great surplus in new signings, which caused protests among the fans who fear that the team may suffer the consequences.

LaLiga also welcome talented and rising stars. After some years of crisis, the financial control and the new TV contracts allow “the middle-class” to invest in players of prestige. Villarreal shocked the international market signing a player that had gather the interest of many clubs: Thorgan Hazard. The “Yellow Submarine” have paid 31 million for the Belgian midfielder, a record for the club. Their regional rival, Valencia CF, want to go back to the elite of Spanish football and they’ve put their faith in the Mexican striker Raúl Jiménez, former Atlético Madrid player, signed from Benfica for 22 million euros; and the Basque central midfielder Rubén Pardo, transferred by Real Sociedad for 18 million euros.

Real Sociedad covered the sale of Rubén Pardo signing the Belgian promise Leander Dendonker from RSC Anderlecht for 13 million euros. RC Celta also signed defensive midfielder Fejsa from Benfica, paying 15 million euros for the Czech player after the sale of Radoja to PSG for 13 million euros. The new Chinese owners of Espanyol have put their eyes in the Eredivisie and signed Anwar El Ghazi from Ajax for 7 million euros. Finally, other relevant signings are Pereira (Sporting CP) who joined Betis for 11,5 million and Giovanni Simeone (Genoa), who will be Zaragoza’s new striker for 6,2 million plus Sergio Buenacasa.

International football

Premier League

As it is usual, the Premier League top the transfer expense in Europe. The English clubs enjoy a healthy financial situation and the biggest ever TV contract. Wenger’s Arsenal made the greatest operation this summer, buying the services of the goalkeeper Jan Oblak for 82 million euros, the highest amount ever paid for a goalkeeper. Jose Mourinho’s Manchester United broke the market in the last day, signing Alexandre Lacazette for 59,5 million euros. After a disappointing first season, Pep Guardiola has considered that the 28 year old Argentinian Javier Pastore is what the Manchester City’s midfield need to fight for the Premiership and they paid 45 million euros for his services.

In Liverpool, Jürgen Klopp wants to raise the level of his team to reach Champions League spots and he put his eyes on a player he knows well from his time in Borussia Dortmund, the Slovenian Kevin Kampl who was essential in the Champions League victory in Bayer Leverkusen midfield (38 million). Klopp also noticed Bojan Krkic’s good season with Stoke City and Liverpool paid 29,5 million for the Serbian-Spanish forward. Their bitter rivals Everton were the most active club this summer, selling their star Romelu Lukaku to FC Bayern for 70,5 million euros and James McCarthy to Spurs for 25,5 million euros. This cash entry has been used to sign the young talent Ángel Correa from Atlético Madrid (28,5 million euros) and the central back Nilsson Lindelöf from Benfica (14,5 million). Current winners Chelsea FC bet for the same squad that gave them the title, but they reinforced their left wing singing the Portuguese promise Otávio from Porto for 21,5 million.

As always, even the middle-class of the Premier League had money to attract talent to the league. So the surprising Leicester City completely renewed the defense signing Kyriakos Papadopoulos from Bayer Leverkusen (13 million) and Lucas Hernandez from Atlético Madrid (10 million); Stoke City replaced Bojan signing Khouma el Babacar from Fiorentina (13,5 million); Newcastle United come back to the Premier League and their star signing have been the young Brazilian talent Marcos Lopes from AS Monaco (12,5 million); West Brom reinforce the team with one of the most wanted youngsters of the market Raul Neves from Porto (12,5 million) and the French central back Maxime Le Marchand (12 million).

Serie A

Not much movement in Serie A. While Juventus remained quiet in this transfer market, their main rivals moved the Italian market: AS Roma used the money got from the transfer of Manolas to sign the forward Lisandro Lopez from SL Benfica (24,5 million euros) and the central back Timothée Kolodziejczak from Sevilla (19 million); Napoli added Vladimir Darida to their midfield (20 million); and Lazio signed André André from Porto (17,5 million).

Other important signings

Aside the mentioned signing of Lukaku by Bayern (70,5 million euros), the main actor in other leagues have been Paris Saint-Germain. The French club, in their fight to enter in the elite of European football, have totally renewed their midfield by acquiring the services of Steven N’Zonzi from Sevilla (22,5 million euros), the Dutch talent Tonny Vilhena from Feyenoord (17,5 million) and Nemanja Radoja from RC Celta (13 millions).

Oayl0Yk.png
  • subpop
    doOE232.png

XTcZNhV.png
  • JoshDFC
    What a start to life in La Liga top of the league keep it up :)
  • Greenman019
    Wow, Sevilla got destroyed :o What a start, 2 from 2.

Who's Lopes and why have we signed him :D
  • ale85bg
    What a start there... And once again very detailed snapshot of the transfer market and of what's happening around Europe too. Good luck again for the season, things ae surely looking promising here. :)
  • Danimal5981
    edited April 2017
    If none of the big three are leading in the Dutch Eredivisie it is done with Dutch football. When smaller teams can compete with the big ones it's not the bottom going up, but the top going down. Given our current fragile state, I'd say a Vitesse/AZ leading the pack in Holland is bad news for Dutch football....

...and I guess the same applies to the Spanish league, as much as of an impression you made with a 6-0 (good lord) win over Sevilla!
  • subpop
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    What a start to life in La Liga top of the league keep it up :)

It definitely was an unexpected good start... but it is an anecdote.
    Wow, Sevilla got destroyed :o What a start, 2 from 2.

Who's Lopes and why have we signed him :D

I've never heard about him, to be honest.
    ale85bg wrote: »
    What a start there... And once again very detailed snapshot of the transfer market and of what's happening around Europe too. Good luck again for the season, things ae surely looking promising here. :)

Thank you!
    If none of the big three are leading in the Dutch Eredivisie it is done with Dutch football. When smaller teams can compete with the big ones it's not the bottom going up, but the top going down. Given our current fragile state, I'd say a Vitesse/AZ leading the pack in Holland is bad news for Dutch football....

...and I guess the same applies to the Spanish league, as much as of an impression you made with a 6-0 (good lord) win over Sevilla!

Well... strange things always happen in the first matches of the season. Usually there are some early surprises that end up disappearing as the season goes.

... and it is what is going to happen with Zaragoza. It was unrealistically easy to win them. I don't even remember a single match in Segunda División as easy as this one.
  • subpop
    edited April 2017
    SEPTEMBER

fWqqShp.png

tLSpUYO.png

WpzHoQZ.png

jYVrG5J.png

4Z7MyTD.png
  • subpop
    IF0pmD3.png