Real Zaragoza - The story of J. Baldó - 2018-2019 September

Comments

• IAmLikingFlame
    3875 posts National Call-Up
    Good job getting the late equaliser, even though I would've hoped for you to sneak out a win there
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    Looked like one heckuva game. The away goal should help ease the pressure for Leg 2, if only a little bit. I expect Girona will look to get that first goal so it might open the game up a little bit. Then again, it might not. :o
  • subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    edited March 2017
    Good job getting the late equaliser, even though I would've hoped for you to sneak out a win there

It was my hope too... I don't know if you have taken a look to the highlights, but in their first attack they scored one of these goals that you can never defend. A missile.

Then they had lots of chances. If I'm honest, they should have won the game. In some moments, it was embarrassing. They too near, too many times.

I was lucky here... but other times I wasn't, so... :#

So I'm more than happy with this result.
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Looked like one heckuva game. The away goal should help ease the pressure for Leg 2, if only a little bit. I expect Girona will look to get that first goal so it might open the game up a little bit. Then again, it might not. :o

I would prefer they had a more attacking attitude. One of the problems was lack of space... so if they open up a bit, it might be good.

The 1-1 is good but not definitive. If they score first, I may be in trouble.
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    They MUST open up sooner or later... Otherwise they're out! It's up to you then to profit from it... We know you can do it. :)
  • Greenman019
    2745 posts Fans' Favourite
    Ye it's a good result, must have been very tense until the late equaliser. As ale said they have to open up at some point in the next one. An early goal is the only thing you gotta be wary of.
  • subpop
    P6dN8y9.png

What it was supposed a high tension and passionate second leg finally was a calm walk for Zaragoza to get the ticket for the final of the playoff. Before the match, the messages from Girona were positive and threatening. All pundits agreed that the Catalan team was the best team in the first leg and the result was totally unfair. The evident superiority should have been a reason to believe in the comeback, after all they were just a goal away from the objective. But, in the hour of truth, Girona walked into the pitch as a soulless team, as if they were still in shock by the late and unexpected goal of Xumetra.

Zaragoza didn’t change their usual scheme. Even though the traditional 4-5-1 was useless in Montilivi, Baldó preferred not to change automatisms. However, there were changes in the initial XI: Baldó gave the chance to Aleñà and Javi Ros in midfield to replace Ødegaard and Zapater, victims of the bad image shown in Girona, in the central midfield; and Cani entered for the hero of Montilivi, Xumetra. The purpose was clear, more technical ability in midfield to assure ball possession.

In the case of Girona, there was a massive change, looking for a more attacking scheme. The effective 5-3-2 of the first leg disappeared and Machín added a midfielder to form a 4-4-2 to try to fight for the ball possession. But the changes didn’t have the wished effect. In reality, Girona won the ball possession… but a toothless possession.
    In the first half, Zaragoza’s plan was clear: ball possession, easy passing and not losing the ball in dangerous zones to avoid counter attacks. On the other hand, Girona’s low pace was surprising. They needed a goal, but Machín considered that the game was long and it wasn’t necessary to show all the cards since the beginning, maybe fearing a goal of the local team which would have complicated things even more. So as the minutes passed, Zaragoza felt comfortable on the pitch and even enjoy a few chances to score. Girona was a shadow of the team that outplayed Zaragoza only 5 days ago, while “Los Maños” didn’t need to shine to demonstrate that the match was played as Baldó had planned.

With 45 minutes to go, the 0-0 on the scoreboard was still favorable to Zaragoza and Girona needed to change something… but nothing really changed and the game kept running in the same direction. Girona tried to refresh the team, making some substitutions, but they didn’t have the required effects. Girona battled for the possession with Zaragoza, but always far from the box. When Girona tried to attack, they found a huge resistance by the rival midfield and, when they were able to reach the last line, Cabrera and Marcelo Silva, who was immense, stopped every single attack. Irureta, Zaragoza’s goalkeeper, had an unsuspected quiet night.

In the last minutes, with the match dying, Girona made their last attempt to reverse the situation. The Catalans pressured all over the pitch and advanced lines and players, but there was more heart than brain in their attacks. Patience was forgotten in the buildup. The Catalan attacks were hasty and imprecise, while Zaragoza moved the ball with sense, not feeling pressured by the tight result and even enjoying the best chance of the game, missed by Dongou in a shot which required more skill than power.

La Romareda’s crowd exploded in happiness with the final whistle. Nerves, always there due to the tight result, disappeared and the fans could finally celebrate the pass to the playoff final. Zaragoza didn’t need to excel to be in total control, as Girona disappointed after their magnificent first leg. The Catalans probably regret all the missed chances at home. Zaragoza survived to their worst moments and showed calm and knew how to behave in the moments of high pressure.

Machín (Girona): “We were far from our best version. I accept my responsibility. We didn’t want to go desperate looking for a goal and there was time for it. But the rival play too and Zaragoza managed the time and rhythm of the game with intelligence and we were clumsy in some moments and, in the last minutes, we lacked patience to find our best options. Our season finishes here and the balance is good in general, but we can only feel disappointed, because we missed another chance. We’ll be back, be sure of this”.

Baldó (Zaragoza): “I’m very happy with our performance tonight, especially in defense. I think we always had the match under control… overall, I think we played with intelligence… in attack we didn’t perform as well as we wanted, but in any case one of the priorities was to assure the passes and not to risk too much. Obviously, since the result still was open, it’s normal to be cautious and, without risks, it’s difficult to create chances. But overall I’m happy, we knew how to defend with and without the ball. Now we’re in a final. It’s our time and I am sure we will have all the city behind us, supporting us”.
  • subpop
    ale85bg wrote: »
    They MUST open up sooner or later... Otherwise they're out! It's up to you then to profit from it... We know you can do it. :)

You were right and they did... late, but they did. I even enjoyed some counter attacks, without efficiency though.

For whatever reason, the match was easier... you never know, because it wasn't close, but in the first leg I was totally outplayed.
    Ye it's a good result, must have been very tense until the late equaliser. As ale said they have to open up at some point in the next one. An early goal is the only thing you gotta be wary of.

It was tense. I didn't find the way, they closed the defense very well...my unfair goal was more than just relief.

Well... at the end it worked. Considering the experience during the league, I feared it was going to be as tight as it was.

I suppose you always need this little dose of luck after all.
  • subpop
    GSCSA2I.png
  • IAmLikingFlame
    Boring nil-nil draw with no offensive challenges, but it's all you needed so good job. Your defence hung in there and got you into the final. Let's hope you can make the most of it.
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    I was about to boo Girona after seeing the scoreline, but after reading further, Zaragoza just did a number on them defensively. Can't blame them for playing with an away goal advantage. Good luck heading into the playoff final. :)
  • subpop
    edited March 2017
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    I was about to boo Girona after seeing the scoreline, bu. t after reading further, Zaragoza just did a number on them defensively. Can't blame them for playing with an away goal advantage. Good luck heading into the playoff final. :)

Well... it was not exactly as you say. They actually played defensively in the first leg, which ultimately gave them lots of chances as I went forward looking for the away goal.

In the second leg, I didn't plan to sit back, because I was unsure about keeping a clean sheet. I thought it was better to attack and score first.

I even enjoyed my chances... while they played worse than they did in the first leg. Only in the last minutes I ordered a more defensive style... it was not about to risk in the last minutes.

I hope to have time to update the story soon... :(
  • Wyojasond
    11575 posts Has That Special Something
    Great job advancing to the playoff finals. One more game to punch your ticket to la Liga. Good luck man
  • subpop
    h4wzXVm.png

Real Zaragoza are only one step away from Primera División after the decisive victory in Vallecas. The goal of the winter signing Odegaard gives the visitors a fundamental advantage and forces Rayo to look for an epic victory at La Romareda stadium.

The match was defined by the early goal scored by Martin Odegaard. Both teams were still adapting to the match when a fast counter driven by Cani ended up in Odegaard's feet, who dribbled Rayo's central backs with an easy change of direction to advance towards Rayo's goal. The attacking mid faced the goalkeeper to give the lead to the away team. At that point, Rayo went forward looking for a goal to draw the match, but Zaragoza controlled the game with intelligence. Lass and Clavería tried it for Rayo but it was useless.

In the second half, Rayo Vallecano's attacks were more intense, while Zaragoza also enjoyed a couple of shy chances to score a second goal. The team of Vallecas put all the guns on the pitch and Javi Guerra was a nightmare for Zaragoza's defense. In the last minutes, Guerra enjoyed two hand-to-hand with Irureta, Zaragoza's goalkeeper. Both chances went to purgatory. First, it was Irureta who stopped Javi Guerra's shot, and finally, Guerra himeself missed the best chance of the game.

The match goes to Zaragoza now. The home team is very near the objective, while Rayo will have to hope for another epic game to overcome this result... just as they did in Valladolid, a few days ago.
  • IAmLikingFlame
    Good to see Ødegaard get you the win there, I'm ready to see you go and get yourself promoted now!
  • subpop
    AZYPARb.png

4 years later, Real Zaragoza are back in Primera División. Four long and painful years for a club with this history behind. Probably, the worst moment of their history. Now it belongs to the past: Joan Baldó has taken "Los Maños" back to Primera División.

The match only had a story while the game still was open. Zaragoza didn't want to allow surprises and looked for a goal to end with the hopes of Rayo Vallecano. On the other hand, the Vallecanos pressured high, trying to bother Zaragoza's building up. Tension was there, a goal by Rayo would have open all the options and would have installed nervousness in the local team. Despite the open game, the 0-0 was on the scoreboard at the end of the first half.

But early in the second half, Juan Muñoz became the hero. Zaragoza attacked the right flank of the defense of Rayo Vallecano. Javi Ros made a deadly pass to Juan Muñoz, who shot between the post and the goalkeeper to score the 1-0. La Romareda exploded: Primera División was in Zaragoza's hands.

There was time for surprises, but the goal finished with the hopes of Rayo Vallecano. The minutes passed and Zaragoza only had to control the match. It was over... and Zaragoza was in Primera División.

Joan Baldó dedicated the victory to all the fans: "It has been a difficult season, with ups and downs, but this group of players performed when it was needed. Now it's time to celebrate, the whole city deserve it, all the region of Aragón deserve it. This is for all of them".
    FCuU2VJ.jpg

• Danimal5981
    2242 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited March 2017
    Los Maños are back in La Primera! Felicitados!
  • subpop
    edited March 2017
    REVIEW 2016-2017

EUROPEAN TOURNAMENTS

CriafSY.png

OTHER LEAGUES

XNdMIY4.png

COPA DEL REY

iDxesau.png
    Post edited by subpop on
  • subpop
    REVIEW 2016-2017

5H2ciWN.png

YNMcTaZ.png
  • ale85bg
    Yes, yes, yes... YEEEEES!!! Welcome back to the football that counts my friend. GREEEEAT!
  • Chip
    203 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Good work on promotion!
  • Danimal5981
    Damn, a stats-master.... Erik Morán your strongholder; Dutch 2015 title went to PSV however.
    And 'The Pharmaceuticals' win the Champions League, who would've thought... 2002 comes to mind.
  • IAmLikingFlame
    You made it back, congrats dude! Also, it's amazing to see Barca in fourth, I love it :tongue:
  • subpop
    edited March 2017
    Los Maños are back in La Primera! Felicitados!

Finally! Thank you!
    ale85bg;4744293"]Yes, yes, yes... YEEEEES!!! Welcome back to the football that counts my friend. GREEEEAT!

Yes! The idea of another year in Segunda wasn't nice.
    Chip wrote: »
    Good work on promotion!

Thank you!
    Damn, a stats-master.... Erik Morán your strongholder; Dutch 2015 title went to PSV however.
    And 'The Pharmaceuticals' win the Champions League, who would've thought... 2002 comes to mind.

Yes. Erik Morán was essential in midfield. The central backs, Cabrera and Silva too. Last year I could reinforce the midfield, but the team need to invest in attack... full backs... perhaps a goalkeeper.

I'll change the PSV thing. Thanks!

2002... they should have won back then...
    You made it back, congrats dude! Also, it's amazing to see Barca in fourth, I love it :tongue:

Thank you.

Eeeh.... Luis Enrique is gone. (We) They will come back stronger next year. B)
    Post edited by subpop on
  • Greenman019
    2745 posts Fans' Favourite
    You did it! Huge congrats man :D
    Amazing way of summing things up as well, beautiful graphics. Lots of stats to, I'm sure @Virtual_K especially will like those ^^
  • subpop
    edited March 2017
    You did it! Huge congrats man :D
    Amazing way of summing things up as well, beautiful graphics. Lots of stats to, I'm sure @Virtual_K especially will like those ^^

Thank you!

I wish I had the time to do more statistics and stuff... and I wish I could go faster in the story, but I don't have the time. :'(

BTW, I fixed the Eredivisie error.
  • Danimal5981
    kudos!
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    Did someone say stats? They're beautiful and so plentiful! :smiley: Thought about doing a stat sheet for players, but that would be a lot of data to enter after each match and, well, time is always an issue. :tired_face:

Congrats on the promotion and nice job with all those statistics. B)
  • Wyojasond
    11575 posts Has That Special Something
    Those stat sheets are amazing! Great job on promotion as well B)
  • ale85bg
    Yeah, I agree. I had some time to actually watch them closely and they're absolutely great.
    Doubt I'll ever be able to make anything close. :)
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    Well done on the promotion be interesting to see how you fare in la liga with such a young team