Real Zaragoza - The story of J. Baldó - 2018-2019 September

Comments

• subpop
    3364 posts National Call-Up
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    be interesting to see who you will sign in the transfer market hopefully they can help you push for promotion

In the next post, you'll see them... I'll keep you informed as soon as I can.
    ale85bg wrote: »
    You definitely are heading in the right direction now... Good month, two points shy of a playoff spot and some very interesting results there... Keep it up man, you can do it!

Yes, definitely December was a change. Unluckly we lost against a direct rival like Rayo Vallecano, but we had our chances and I believe that the result was too harsh... anyway, Rayo is one of the best in Segunda División and these things happen.
  • Greenman019
    2745 posts Fans' Favourite
    Not a bad month at all. Was a very poor start to the season but you seem to have gotten hold of the situation recently, you keep improving, definitely. Keep it up.
  • subpop
    JANUARY - PART 1

S24Y3M1.png

Martin Ødegaard, 18 year-old Norwegian international midfielder, joins Real Zaragoza from Real Madrid for a 3.2M € transfer fee in a 3 year deal. Ødegaard has been presented today at La Romareda stadium, where he was welcomed by thousands of fans. After the presentation, he made a press conference:

Q: Welcome to Zaragoza. You’re a young midfielder with huge international prestige. Why did you choose Zaragoza?

MØ: Thank you. They’ve been following me during all season and Mr. Baldó has talked to me several times in the last weeks and his project is very convincing. The truth is that Real Madrid is a fantastic club, but the talent of the first team is huge and there’s no space for me. I’ve been playing one year in Castilla (Real Madrid B team) in Segunda División B, but I wanted to prove myself in professional football and I believe I need to have playing minutes.

Q: Did Joan Baldó assured playing minutes to you?

MØ: No, but he assured me he counts on me, not only in the future, but also in the present. I believe in myself and my capacity to find a space in the team. I know Baldó’s prestige rising promising stars and it is a fact that he counts on several young players in the first IX, so he doesn’t fear to play with young players, as long as they give
    something to the team. This is enough for me.

Q: How do you define yourself as football player? Which is your favorite position?

MØ: I am a midfielder, attacking midfielder, although I also feel comfortable as right winger. I think that I’m mainly a technical player, who likes to be in contact with the ball. I hope to add things to my new team.

Q: Do you think you can promote this season?

MØ: I hope so. I think the team is living a good moment and improving day by day. All players want to be in Primera División and this is our main goal and our dream.

s6sQ3VU.png

Highlights

CJN0yyd.png

Highlights
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    Good results here: Girona seem pretty difficult to defeat at the moment so a draw must be considered a great result. And hey, you're in the playoff area finally! :)
  • Greenman019
    Nice to get up into the play-off end of the table, can afford to look up a bit now. 2 very good results when you consider that Girona are 2nd.
  • subpop
    Good results here: Girona seem pretty difficult to defeat at the moment so a draw must be considered a great result. And hey, you're in the playoff area finally! :)

Yes. Mixed feelings though. I was in a good run and a victory here would have been great to continue pushing forward.

Considering that I was 12th or so in mid November, I won't complain.
    Nice to get up into the play-off end of the table, can afford to look up a bit now. 2 very good results when you consider that Girona are 2nd.

Definitely. The board expects direct promotion though. I don't know if it'll have any consequence... although they also expect me to make 20M € profit.

Girona are hard to beat. Solid defense... the match was weird... without many chances. But I'm getting more Simeone-ist than Guardiolist in my plan. :#
  • subpop
    a25A4lI.png

Highlights

WM7U2zv.png

Ratón leaves Real Zaragoza… and he joins CA Osasuna for a 4M € transfer fee. There were rumors about the possible exit of the homegrown goalkeeper in this transfer window. It was not a secret that several French clubs, like Toulouse or Olympique Marseille, and Spanish clubs, like Alavés, had targeted the promising Zaragoza
    goalkeeper. What no one expected was to see him leaving the club of his life to join the historical bitter rival, Osasuna.

Today, Osasuna announced the agreement with Zaragoza: Ratón joins for 4M euros. The news started a fire among the Zaragoza fans, who don’t seem to understand the decision of the player and the club. A spokesman of the Zaragoza supporters federation declared: “We are extremely unhappy with the decision of the player and the club”.

Some radicals made protests in front of the offices of the club, carrying banners with a clear message: “Ratón, Judas!”. The club made an official statement: “Real Zaragoza did not have the intention to sell the player and he was not in the transfer list. The player Ratón, through his agent, brought offers from several clubs. Real Zaragoza always counted on the goalkeeper, who has been in the initial IX in all the games this season, and told the player that his exit was in his hands, setting a transfer price: 4M €. The only club who reached this price was Osasuna and we informed the player about it, who made his decision to join Osasuna. Real Zaragoza accepted the
    offer, considering that the team will not suffer the consequences of this transfer and the club will benefit from a cash entry that can be used to be reinforce the team in order to achieve our main goal: to go back to Primera División”.

The decision was taken by the sport commission, formed by President Lapetra; the sport director: Julià; and the manager, Joan Baldó. In the press conference before the match against Mirandés, Baldó declared: “It’s a decision of the club and, of course, I gave my permission for it. I can understand the fans, but we made the decision
    considering pros and cons. I am sure that, despite the polemics, the fans won’t turn their back to the team, because the most important are those who are here to push towards the objectives, not those who leave Zaragoza”.

Ratón has declared that he had a unique opportunity to play in Primera División. When he was asked about the polemics he stated that “I didn’t force the club to sell… we talked to them and showed them the offers and they made their own decisions, considering that they preferred to collect money”. He also said that he understands the fans, but repeated that he is a professional and the final decision was made by the club.

The ultras of the club have announced protests in the next home match against Tenerife, which seems it’s going to be tense in the stands of La Romareda.

qTNMyzz.png

Carles Aleñà has been officially signed by Real Zaragoza today. “Los Maños” have paid 1.2M € to FC Barcelona to get the services of one of the most talented central midfielders of La Masia in recent years, also international U-21 for the Spanish NT. In his presentation, Aleñà has declared that he is “very happy for joining such a historical
    institution”. The player said that he considers that he’s in the right place to grow as football player: “In Barcelona, I was not going to enjoy minutes… there’s life beyond the Camp Nou”.

Regarding his new coach he said that “it’s not the first time they worked together, since we met in La Masia some years ago and it’s an honor to be under his orders again”. In relation with the polemics surrounding the departure of Ratón, Aleña said he doesn’t know the details and didn’t want to make any comment on it.

Joan Baldó also made comments about his new player: “I know him since he’s a kid, technically gifted, great ball control and short passing. But he’s also a player with a good long distance shot who easily steps into the rival box, which is a plus considering that he’s a central mid. I’m very happy with this signing and I believe that, along with Morán and Ødegaard, will help us to control the matches and to be closer to what we want from this team”.

At the same time, Zaragoza also announced the transfer of Jorge Pombo, 22 year old midfielder who didn’t play much this season and had a secondary role in the squad.

Zaragoza has informed that the central defensive midfielder André Castro, aged 28 year old, will join for free in July, once his contract with Kasimpasa SK (Turkey) expires at the end of the current season. There are no comments from the offices of the club regarding this signing.
  • subpop
    JANUARY - PART 3

I35Mjr6.png

Highlights

6mFOVGv.png

Highlights

0j4HQnT.png
  • Greenman019
    3 very good results and you're now 4th. Shaping up to be a very successful season so far. Shame about Raton though.
  • Wyojasond
    11551 posts Has That Special Something
    Couple of very impressive young signings. Hopefully they can make an impact on the team.
  • subpop
    3 very good results and you're now 4th. Shaping up to be a very successful season so far. Shame about Raton though.

Things get better and better. Too bad I am still paying the consequences of a terrible start with lots of points to recover to achieve the main goal which was direct promotion. The margin of error is not big. But thinking about direct promotion is not a dream at this point.

I didnt want to sell Ratón... but the offer was good enough to fund Aleñà's signing. Considering that Irureta is good enough for the first IX, I think that the deal was good... despite it is not nice to sell a young goalie with potential to a bitter rival.

Couple of very impressive young signings. Hopefully they can make an impact on the team.

I am sure they will. Ødegaard already is good enough to be a starter in this team. He has pace, he dribbles and scores goals and can play in different positions in midfield and attack.

Aleñà is a central mid with good passing skills and scores goals too.

Both are young and their potential is high. Our passing level rise to another level just having them. If they improve fast, I think I may have midfield for several seasons... if they dont ask for too much money too soon.
  • ale85bg
    Yeah, climbing up and up! :)
    Great results lately, and great to see Irureta perform after Raton left for the bitter rivals. Keep this in mind the first time you face them. ;)
  • JoshDFC
    2047 posts Fans' Favourite
    Fourth in the league now still time to go for the title but promotion is still the top target doesn't matter how you achieve it :)
  • subpop
    Yeah, climbing up and up! :)
    Great results lately, and great to see Irureta perform after Raton left for the bitter rivals. Keep this in mind the first time you face them. ;)

Never! We accepted several offers for 4M. It was his decision to go to Osasuna. I wish to ser him soon in Primera.
    JoshDFC wrote: »
    Fourth in the league now still time to go for the title but promotion is still the top target doesn't matter how you achieve it :)

Promotion no matter how! If it is winning the title much better and it would be an epic comeback... Definitely a playoff must be tense... all season in 4 games.
  • ale85bg
    subpop wrote: »
    Promotion no matter how! If it is winning the title much better and it would be an epic comeback... Definitely a playoff must be tense... all season in 4 games.
    Yeah, we DO believe in you! Come ooooon!!!

• Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    League table is pretty tight, little room for error but also a chance to move up a few spots. Automatic promotion looks doable, would hate to leave your fate in the hands of a playoff with the teams looking evenly matched as they are.
  • subpop
    TRASNFER WINDOW REVIEW

k1VXwPQ.png

• subpop
    FEBRUARY

MKvBhqi.png

Highlights

XhN1onb.png

Highlights

Cp58yGv.png

Highlights

G3oRmc7.png

Highlights

• Danimal5981
    2237 posts Fans' Favourite
    Pick it up, just four points separate you from your goal!
  • subpop

fWC9h5g.png

February comes to an end and Zaragoza rising path seems solid despite the last match in Lugo. After a doubtfully start for the season, Joan Baldó has finally been able to join all the different pieces. Since November, what it was a team unable to find style and results has become the most reliable team in La Liga 1|2|3 in the last 2 or 3 months. Now the team has reached the playoff spots and threats Levante, Girona and Rayo in their fight for automatic promotion.

But the sweet sporting moment is not enough for Baldó. Internal sources inform that the Board constantly warns the manager about the economic situation of the club, which planned to make 20M in profits this season to overcome the weak patrimonial situation. At this point, the club knows that it is impossible to accomplish with this economic objective. President Lapetra considered this goal as essential for the club’s future. But Lapetra has been blocked from the inside, especially by the sport executive Julià and the manager Baldó, who have focused on reinforcing the team to keep fighting for promotion, as they consider that the best economic boost for the club is linked with sport success. Even though the economic balance is positive, the final objective is too far.

If Lapetra didn’t make any decision against the coach is because the popularity of the coach is high among fans and he knows that his already damaged image definitely would not improve with this decision… but the war is not over yet.

So the internal war is open and the question is: what will happen next? Baldó consider that promotion should make him untouchable, but feels uncomfortable with the situation, constantly pressured by the president about the economic situation, not feeling backed by the Board despite results on the pitch and only finding support in the sport executive Julià.

The same internal sources claim that the coach wants to continue, building a project that feels as his own, especially now that the team finally shows what he has in his head. But no one knows which is going to be Lapetra’s reaction at the end of the season. Would promotion be enough for Baldó to save his head? Will the internal war have consequences on the team in this final part of the season? In the next few months we’ll have an answer.

nli9jp1.png
  • subpop
    Pick it up, just four points separate you from your goal!

Yes... and the team play better and better.

We can drop points, but the rest do it too... and we drop less than the rest lately. I can see it happen!!!

• Greenman019
    Very close to the automatic promotion spots. It's a big ask at this stage but it's still possible. We believe :D
  • ale85bg
    Mixed results there but hey, you're still there in the fight. Don't give up man, don't give up!
  • KubaTown
    696 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Will be following - but I must say - I am a Levantista! :kissing_closed_eyes:

Big push!
  • ale85bg
    edited February 2017
    KubaTown wrote: »
    Really? Very sensible choice there! :D
    I can't really say I support Levante, but surely I can say I have a sympathy for them which dates back to when I went to Valencia, in 2014.
    I didn't even know Levante were based in Valencia at that time: I was in the Valencia metro and in front of me there were three or four men in their 30s with these red and blue striped shirts who looked like they were watching something on a sort of tablet...
    Apparently something happened (a goal by Levante, I would find out later) and they all went crazy, started singing and chanting... I felt happy, I don't know why, it was just an engaging moment. Probably also a little embarassing, too... I would never be able to rejoice like that on the metro! :joy:
  • subpop
    MARCH

l7zP8DB.png

Highlights

fLOwKqC.png

Highlights

4HMsaMn.png

Highlights

ScUL7Fe.png

Highlights
  • subpop
    QQ9II7Y.png

Joan Baldó offers his last interview to Marca and he talks about the end of the season, his future and his players. The coach born in Alicante is living his first year as professional coach and, despite the doubtful results in the first months of the season, nowadays he enjoys a sweet moment with his team.

Q: Zaragoza is playing brilliant lately. In November you were 11th, 6 points far from play-off spots and, today, you are in automatic promotion spots. What changed?

JB: Nothing really. I think patience isn’t a value in football. Media have to sell and write every single day. I don’t complain... I already knew it’s just the way it is: results are the only thing that matter. But the reality is that we had to know the players and the players had to understand what we wanted from them. The only change was that hard work finally had consequences on the pitch and I am happy for it.

Q: With 10 matches to go, you are in a great position to fight for automatic promotion… and even win the title.

JB: 10 matches are too many… Obviously, we are in a better position than the one we had some weeks ago, but it’s already past. It would be an error to think that everything is done. We are happy, but self-complacency is an enemy. We have to keep fighting in every game as it was the last.

Q: There are rumors about the internal fights between the president and you about the economic situation of the club. Is it going to affect your renewal?

JB: There is no war. Personally, I don’t have any problem with President Lapetra or the Board. There is communication and, of course, we don’t have to agree with each other about everything. The fact is that I have a one-year contract and, whenever the season is over I will meet the president and both parts will take decisions. Personally, I would like to continue, because I believe we are building a nice project and a project requires time… but it’s not only in my hands. The only thing I can say is that I am not going to be a problem, whatever decision they take. Renewal is not important at this point, there will be time to talk at the end of the season.

Q: The arrival of Odegaard and Aleña seemed to impove the team and now Zapater return to the team again. Thinking about the future, what do you think this team needs to improve?

JB: It’s not just the signings… the whole squad work really well, the locker room is united, everyone walks in the same direction. The individuals improve when the team works all together. You can always improve, but the core of the team next season will be basically the same. In any case, I’m not thinking in who comes or leaves… I only think about the ones who are now here.

9gwFApW.png

• subpop

Big push!

Who wants friends when you got enemies? :expressionless: :wink:

Nah... there's room for both teams here in Segunda.

I hope you enjoy.
    Really? Very sensible choice there! :D
    I can't really say I support Levante, but surely I can say I have a sympathy for them which dates back to when I went to Valencia, in 2014.
    I didn't even know Levante were based in Valencia at that time: I was in the Valencia metro and in front of me there were three or four men in their 30s with these red and blue striped shirts who looked like they were watching something on a sort of tablet...
    Apparently something happened (a goal by Levante, I would find out later) and they all went crazy, started singing and chanting... I felt happy, I don't know why, it was just an engaging moment. Probably also a little embarassing, too... I would never be able to rejoice like that on the metro! :joy:

I'm surrounded... any zaragozista around?

:cold_sweat: :wink:
  • Wyojasond
    11551 posts Has That Special Something
    So catching up again. Man the battle for the top 2 is intense.
  • ale85bg
    subpop wrote: »
    I'm surrounded... any zaragozista around?

:cold_sweat: :wink:
    I used to play with Zaragoza in FIFA 12 if it counts... :joy:

Great results lately... Shame about the draw against Huesca, but you're still second! And there's still time to catch Levante! ;)