No offense to anyone who does this...

iBaIIeR
494 posts Sunday League Hero
But why is twitch so popular? You watch other people play a video game that you yourself own? And then some people just donate to the streamers? Can someone explain this? I'm watching a stream for one of the first times ever and this is just bizarre. Why would i watch someone play FIFA when I own FIFA myself?

Comments

• RadioShaq
    16179 posts Moderator
    You can see how others play and get better at the game. Some are worth watching to pass the time too.
  • MaddMike3711
    12938 posts Has That Special Something
    Agree 100%.
  • Agent Murhawk
    8673 posts League Winner
    Same reason you watch sports. Why watch sports when you can go outside and play?
  • iBaIIeR
    Same reason you watch sports. Why watch sports when you can go outside and play?

Not the same at all...?
  • MaddMike3711
    edited December 2016
    That is comparing apples to oranges honestly. Actual athletes usually have to leave loved ones behind, take a toll on their body, and have a lifelong training and workout regimen.
    Pro video game players on the hand simply press a button on a controller...
    Again though I have nothing against anyone who prefers to take that route, I just think it's a bit ridiculous that anyone could make money from playing a video game. :D
  • Painter753
    8824 posts League Winner
    iBaIIeR wrote: »

Not the same at all...?
    It's exactly the same? You're watching someone else do something that you're perfectly capable of doing yourself
  • Agent Murhawk
    8673 posts League Winner
    That is comparing apples to oranges honestly. Actual athletes usually have to leave loved ones behind, take a toll on their body, and have a lifelong training and workout regimen.
    Again though I have nothing against anyone who prefers to take that route, I just think it's a bit ridiculous that anyone could make money from playing a video game. :D

Why are you even bringing this argument up? I didn't say they're athletes, I was responding to his question about why people watch them.
  • MaddMike3711

Why are you even bringing this argument up? I didn't say they're athletes, I was responding to his question about why people watch them.
    I'm not arguing, simply pointing out the difference. :)
  • Agent Murhawk
    8673 posts League Winner

Not the same at all...?
    How? It's the same reason you watch sports on your TV...entertainment.
  • iBaIIeR
    Painter753 wrote: »

Not the same at all...?
    It's exactly the same? You're watching someone else do something that you're perfectly capable of doing yourself

Watching a video of someone else playing a video game of a sport is different than playing a video game of a sport. You're two degrees removed from the sports versus one
  • Agent Murhawk
    8673 posts League Winner

Nobody said anything about that.
  • RadioShaq
    16179 posts Moderator
    You can also watch to see how a game is going to be. Just saw the beta of jason it looks like a decent game.
  • MaddMike3711

Ok then I'll try to answer your question more clearly if I may. Actual athletics take years of physical work and determination, video games take sitting on your couch pressing buttons and watching a screen, see the difference now?

You can't simply walk outside and play like Ronaldo or Messi, but I bet if you spent enough money and played enough you could get on Castro's level...that's the difference.

• RandomLhama83
    10100 posts Has That Special Something
    edited December 2016
    I guess its the entertainment aspect of it. the streamers persona, comedy ect... some streamers are pretty funny and some are really annoying ect... I have watched some top players to improve my game...so it has its uses, the part where they lose me is why ppl donate huge large amounts of money just to watch a video game when yo u can watch it for free, plus the fact that most ppl the donate do chargebacks so why even donate in the first place?
  • dopetothemax
    2017 posts Fans' Favourite
    People watch for entertainment. It's the same as watching a TV show, movie, sport, etc. Just a different medium. And people donate because they are entertained by the streamer, Without those donations, they may not be able to stream as much or if at all and therefore the person would lose that entertainment. It's simple. If someone creates something you enjoy, give them money so they can continue creating that thing.
  • Agent Murhawk
    8673 posts League Winner

Ok then I'll try to answer your question more clearly if I may. Actual athletics take years of physical work and determination, video games take sitting on your couch pressing buttons and watching a screen, see the difference now?

You can't simply walk outside and play like Ronaldo or Messi, but I bet if you spent enough money and played enough you could get on Castro's level...that's the difference.

Anybody can go outside and play sports you don't have to aspire to be Ronaldo to go play on a Sunday at your local park.

You're arguing something completely different.
  • Libguy
    5341 posts Big Money Move
    Is it unreasonable that people are entertained by something that doesn't entertain you? You couldn't drag me to the ballet. Plenty of people pay lots of money to go the ballet.
  • Andybelfast
    10978 posts Has That Special Something
    Libguy wrote: »
    Is it unreasonable that people are entertained by something that doesn't entertain you? You couldn't drag me to the ballet. Plenty of people pay lots of money to go the ballet.

• Clint Eastwood
    3252 posts National Call-Up

• wijnaldum16
    3890 posts National Call-Up

Not the same at all...?

lol
  • Blakeeeeeeee
    1260 posts Professional
    People like myself watch it mostly because we enjoy the person who's playing the game. I watch @Pugzilla s stream because he's genuinely an enjoyable person to watch and it's entertaining when he goes on his mad rages.

Fun to talk to other while you're either playing the game yourself or going to sleep.
  • Il THE WOLF lI
    4683 posts National Call-Up
    People like myself watch it mostly because we enjoy the person who's playing the game. I watch @Pugzilla s stream because he's genuinely an enjoyable person to watch and it's entertaining when he goes on his mad rages.

Fun to talk to other while you're either playing the game yourself or going to sleep.

Agreed!
  • PochBall
    17397 posts World Class
    Basically this, OP sounds about 12
  • Clint Eastwood
    3252 posts National Call-Up

Wouldn't say that. Op clearly states he's never watched a stream before. I'd just call it ignorance.
  • Hibee
    12409 posts Has That Special Something
    I find it handy to see a game before I buy it.

But I too don't get people sitting watching someone else play FIFA. And to see that people think it's the same as watching a real game of football is completely baffling to me.
  • Hibee
    12409 posts Has That Special Something

I would say the OP is the complete opposite. Watching others play live video games is very much a younger generation thing. I'm a fair bit older and not one person I know would sit and watch another person play FIFA on tv.
  • Yoshi
    3932 posts National Call-Up
    It's literally the same exact thing. Except for the fact that in sports, these people are entertainers and physical athletes. In gaming, these people are either entertainers and skilled in their respective game.

People watch to see something they themselves cannot do.
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year

Not the same at all...?

You would be hard pushed to play football for 14 hours in a weekend
  • Dan is Clutch
    28878 posts Player of the Year
    I'm sure plenty of people play Fifa and have a stream on at the same time. It's not like you can't be playing the game yourself whilst having a stream on your phone/tablet/PC etc.
  • Peter
    26887 posts Player of the Year
    edited December 2016
    Its the donations that doesnt make sense.

.Watching it, fair enough
    .Subscribing, I can understand
    .Donating, why?????