My 3-5-2 'Guide'

Comments

• blasé
    767 posts Semi-Pro
    Orikoru wrote: »
    blasé wrote: »
    Passano wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to put this together. 352 is most definitely a counter attacking formation, I'm surprised it's so unpopular this year. I quite like 352 offline but I have to admit I've never really given it a proper go online. I usually opt for 3421 as it has a flat 4 in midfield and has more passing triangles for my possession style.

Do you defend with much width? I find a narrow width makes the wingers track back better.

I think I have width on 40 in my CTs, which seems about right.
    I used this for about a month and through 2 weekend leagues and the results weren't pretty. I originally stuck with it to get full chem for a hybrid. Couldn't get above div. 4 so i changed to 4141 & 4411 and now I'm on the cusp of div. 1 with practically the same team. In 352 I found the cb's being too isolated especially against the dreaded 4321. It basically becomes 3 on 3 with one through ball opening the flood gates.

I've only been in WL once, but I stuck with 3-5-2 and ended up with 8 wins, 9 losses. Not too bad and no better or worse than I really expected. Didn't have time to play any more games.

No probs against 4321?

Why would there be? That formation is narrow, and in 3-5-2 you have five defensive players in the centre.

To be honest the only formation it comes unstuck against is 3-4-3 if the guy knows what he's doing, since they can double up on the wings. Hardly anyone uses 3-4-3 though!

Just saying in my other post the 4321 used to wreck 352. The 3 forwards would constantly get behind my cdm's creating a 3 on 3 nightmare. I do use slow midfielders though like so maybe that's the problem.
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    trampo23 wrote: »
    My problem with that formation is that my wingers arent involved in attack. they only defend

This is why I set mine to 'cut inside' on instructions though. It seems to have the desired effect. I also intentionally look for them when I need to spread the play out wide, if it's too crowded in the middle.
  • Orikoru
    I fancy giving this a go. Might be a Silly question but any good for a possession based style?

I don't see why not, as long as you can find good strong, tall CDMs who can pass it well. There are plenty of 'triangles' as those possession types always say - the LM-CDM-LCB one, the CAM and the two CDMs, the two strikers and the CAM.
  • Orikoru
    Passano wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to put this together. 352 is most definitely a counter attacking formation, I'm surprised it's so unpopular this year. I quite like 352 offline but I have to admit I've never really given it a proper go online. I usually opt for 3421 as it has a flat 4 in midfield and has more passing triangles for my possession style.

Do you defend with much width? I find a narrow width makes the wingers track back better.

I think I have width on 40 in my CTs, which seems about right.
    I used this for about a month and through 2 weekend leagues and the results weren't pretty. I originally stuck with it to get full chem for a hybrid. Couldn't get above div. 4 so i changed to 4141 & 4411 and now I'm on the cusp of div. 1 with practically the same team. In 352 I found the cb's being too isolated especially against the dreaded 4321. It basically becomes 3 on 3 with one through ball opening the flood gates.

I've only been in WL once, but I stuck with 3-5-2 and ended up with 8 wins, 9 losses. Not too bad and no better or worse than I really expected. Didn't have time to play any more games.

No probs against 4321?

Why would there be? That formation is narrow, and in 3-5-2 you have five defensive players in the centre.

To be honest the only formation it comes unstuck against is 3-4-3 if the guy knows what he's doing, since they can double up on the wings. Hardly anyone uses 3-4-3 though!

Just saying in my other post the 4321 used to wreck 352. The 3 forwards would constantly get behind my cdm's creating a 3 on 3 nightmare. I do use slow midfielders though like so maybe that's the problem.

I guess so, but for me that could happen against a back four anyway. If the full backs are wide then you only have two CBs in the middle against their three strikers, let alone 3 on 3.
  • LiamSully
    6041 posts Big Money Move
    edited December 2016
    Had a search found this...

How about Boateng and SBC Toprak in this form?
    Both MM, nightmare waiting to happen?

If not, suggestions on a 3rd Bundes CB? Not a massive fan of Sokratis tbh
  • Orikoru
    LiamSully wrote: »
    Had a search found this...

How about Boateng and SBC Toprak in this form?
    Both MM, nightmare waiting to happen?

If not, suggestions on a 3rd Bundes CB? Not a massive fan of Sokratis tbh

Bundesliga really isn't great for it because the better centre backs there are all M/M, as you've pointed out. Bender might be alright in the central position, I wouldn't have him in the wide spot though with 66 pace. Perhaps you could hybrid in Mustafi on one side as well, I used him before and he was pretty good - you should be able to surround him with Germans. The next best Bundes CB with high defensive is Nastasic, and I haven't tried him so I've no idea if he's any use. He could be worth a try, particularly as he's L/H rather than M/H.