OT: Video assistance Technology in Football good or bad?

XxRichiexRichxX
29265 posts Player of the Year
edited December 2016

OT: Video assistance Technology in Football good or bad? 40 votes

Good
77%
HolgerBadstuber LFC Simon 98BlakeDiggyMichael LFC 96lobuhhReece Tha BEASTReusOrange PrincePeterFabBradDOMinantLuckyStrikErckstrverdolagaShanePAntparry92Sir Lew1s 31 votes
Bad
10%
jamieBoabdustRecardoDarthGrowler 4 votes
Not sure.
12%
TomGarycelta923ConGardMcNani17SupaNoodle1990 5 votes

Comments

• DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    It depends on how it's implemented.

Take the Utd vs Arse game from a few weeks ago. You have some pundits saying penalty on Valencia. Some saying not.

It'll never be perfect. Goal line is great because it's instant. Once you start, where do you draw the line?
  • Antparry92
    16464 posts World Class
    Good
    Standard of reffing is woeful these days. They need all the help they can get
  • Recardo
    9094 posts League Winner
    Bad
    football should be the same, from grass roots to world football.

• SupaNoodle1990
    25257 posts Player of the Year
    edited December 2016
    Not sure.
    Refs need the help, but I really don't want the game to be slowed down anymore.
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    Recardo wrote: »
    football should be the same, from grass roots to world football.

What other sports are? Cricket, rugby, tennis are all more advanced at the top?
  • Diggy
    12554 posts Has That Special Something
    Good
    Good thing

I hope they implement it eventually for diving pulling pushing so we can get all the cheats out of the game
  • Antparry92
    16464 posts World Class
    Good
    Diggy wrote: »
    Good thing

I hope they implement it eventually for diving pulling pushing so we can get all the cheats out of the game
    Finally get rid of Smalling then.....Guy hugs everyone in the box whilst side on to a corner not looking at the ball
  • Bigbody12341
    75 posts Park Captain
    Good
    Good. Sick of **** calls makes me not want to watch
  • Jake
    14424 posts Has That Special Something
    DaveSaves wrote: »

Take the Utd vs Arse game from a few weeks ago. You have some pundits saying penalty on Valencia. Some saying not.

It'll never be perfect. Goal line is great because it's instant. Once you start, where do you draw the line?

This. Decisions in football are so subjective for this to be able to work properly. The only benefit will be to cut out any absolute howlers by referees.

It's different to cricket/Tennis and also Goal-line technology where decisions are clear cut.
  • LFC Simon 98
    15251 posts World Class
    Good
    Look at the Rugby. It works very well in it even when there's a lot of doubt whether a ball is grounded or not, the various angles usually clear things up
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    DaveSaves wrote: »

Agreed. My thing is I don't like the interruption of play. It already takes too long in the NFL and NBA to come up with decisions and things like that can kill momentum. I think some things should be left to "in the moment".

That's a great example, because in my eyes the intent was there to trip Valencia as he through his arm across Valencias legs as he was following down, contact was made, but arguably not enough to actually bring him down. but the contact and intent should be enough.

And then there's many cases of a foul being committed inside the box, but because the player doesn't fall, the ref ignores it.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    Good thing

Finally get rid of Smalling then.....Guy hugs everyone in the box whilst side on to a corner not looking at the ball

So does pretty much every other CB in the game. Just saying. They are all hugging, grabbing, etc.
  • Antparry92
    16464 posts World Class
    Good
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    Good thing

So does pretty much every other CB in the game. Just saying. They are all hugging, grabbing, etc.
    I'm a United fan and Smalling is the biggest culprit! It's my pet hate
  • DaveSaves
    20137 posts Club Captain
    People always say offsides too. But that's not possible.

For goals that are scored at close range, that's fine. But if it's the pass and the player is 30 yards from goal, then what?
  • Blake
    4830 posts National Call-Up
    Good
    Football is still living in the dark ages with so many games being decided by referees which then snowballs to league titles and cups being won on dodgy decisions. Obscene how its taking this long to properly implement technology to aid fair results on a consistent basis
  • Orison
    42718 posts International Superstar
    What should I argue about with my mates then? :D

Football is such a subjective topic, I don´t know if taking everything we argue about out of the game really makes it better. I´m all up for a test, but I fear that they won´t remove it anymore even if it turns out to be a bad idea.
  • AlexSolm
    7902 posts League Winner
    Good
    The human-error factor has to be kept to a minimum with so much at stake in some games. A World Cup or Champions League final being decided by a referee error can be a disaster
  • P
    7103 posts Big Money Move
    Good
    Long overdue, should be easily implemented without slowing games as well.

99% of decisions are made easily from a video replay while knowing the rules.
  • LuckyStrikE
    3301 posts National Call-Up
    Good
    I did a paper on this in school. 100% it should be implemented. I used the technology at the 2006 world cup and found that the ref who stands at the sideline can have a table and have 6 different views of an incident within 6 seconds. technology is probably better now.

The fools that say interrupts or slows down the game are completely ignoring the fact that the players almost 100% of the time are lying on the ground for more than six seconds because of the pain or faking.

This also improves the quality of the game because divers could then face more yellow cards and would need to stop faking injuries and such.

this leads to more players fighting hard to win or keep the ball and not just collapsing at first touch from someone else. the cleaner the sport becomes then the more fair the game becomes. this also massively fights corruption in the game because televising the 6 replays will have the world judging the refs decisions.

time is actually saved in the long run with this technology.
  • XxRichiexRichxX
    I did a paper on this in school. 100% it should be implemented. I used the technology at the 2006 world cup and found that the ref who stands at the sideline can have a table and have 6 different views of an incident within 6 seconds. technology is probably better now.

The fools that say interrupts or slows down the game are completely ignoring the fact that the players almost 100% of the time are lying on the ground for more than six seconds because of the pain or faking.

This also improves the quality of the game because divers could then face more yellow cards and would need to stop faking injuries and such.

this leads to more players fighting hard to win or keep the ball and not just collapsing at first touch from someone else. the cleaner the sport becomes then the more fair the game becomes. this also massively fights corruption in the game because televising the 6 replays will have the world judging the refs decisions.

Yeah if it does get implemented I think that's the best way. The official between the coach should have a table easily available to quickly check the replays and relay decision to the center ref.
  • LuckyStrikE
    Good

Yeah if it does get implemented I think that's the best way. The official between the coach should have a table easily available to quickly check the replays and relay decision to the center ref.

yes and it literally could get the accurate call to the ref while the person is still on the ground complaining. momentum wont be affected and would actually be improved.
  • XxRichiexRichxX

yes and it literally could get the accurate call to the ref while the person is still on the ground complaining. momentum wont be affected and would actually be improved.

Yeah if that's the case then it wouldn't be so bad. As long as it doesn't end up like the NFL and NBA where they are "under the hood" for like 3+ minutes.

The thing that would annoy me as the article mentions penalty decisions, red cards, etc etc etc. like those moments where the ref says go play on for fouls inside the box because he didn't see anything, he would now have to stop the game to decide whether he's right or not.
  • LuckyStrikE
    Good

Yeah if that's the case then it wouldn't be so bad. As long as it doesn't end up like the NFL and NBA where they are "under the hood" for like 3+ minutes.

The thing that would annoy me as the article mentions penalty decisions, red cards, etc etc etc. like those moments where the ref says go play on for fouls inside the box because he didn't see anything, he would now have to stop the game to decide whether he's right or not.

Nope. Continue play. Sideline says was penalty and bring back for penalty. What happens is the correct call will go for review on the sideline while play continues.
  • LuckyStrikE
    Good
    Thing about it is there will be an extinction of dirty players and cheating forcing players to play better or gtfo.
  • LuckyStrikE
    Good
    High quality football is result and I can't wait
  • XxRichiexRichxX

Nope. Continue play. Sideline says was penalty and bring back for penalty. What happens is the correct call will go for review on the sideline while play continues.

But the , lets say the defending team counters and gets on a breakaway. Then what? Stop a potential goal scoring opportunity to call back play 20-30 seconds after the fact? What if they actually score? Do you take away the goal? These decisions aren't going to get made any sooner than that with if replay is involved.
  • RandomLhama83
    10076 posts Has That Special Something
    no. Not having these long stoppages is what makes football great. You don't want bad calls, hire better refs simple really. The thing about this, is that these decisions always come down to one thing. Money, they want to be able to implement commercials in big games like Champion league finals and world cup finals. so this where this comes into play. The new fifa president is making all sorts of changes, I miss blatter alrdy. Atleast he made his money and didn't try and ruin the game.
  • S P 4 C E Y
    2436 posts Fans' Favourite
    I'm a football referee and video replays would make my life infinitely easier.

From a football fan's perspective, I think it will ruin the game. It cannot be implemented the way people want to see it.

Surprisingly, even when a room full of senior referees are shown a video clip, there can still be disagreement with the decision and the sanction.

Video replays have the potential to disrupt games and simply change 'contention' from the original decision to the reviewed decision. Cricket, rugby, NBA, NFL are completely different sports with natural stoppages in play. Football by its nature is very different.
  • HolgerBadstuber
    5187 posts Big Money Move
    Good
    Let teams have a few reviews, where the 4th official can watch videos to make the correct decision. Only issue is it would be hard to implement in every division.