IF Defoe? Or second chance for Vardy?

Orikoru
10712 posts Has That Special Something
edited December 2016
Last night I reshaped my team so I could chuck Sturridge and Vardy up front (resisted for so long since they're overpriced but I was out of ideas). Long story short, the team played awfully, no wins in 4 games and neither of them managed a single goal. Vardy seemed like the worst offender, so I kind of rage sold him and impulse bought Diego Costa as his replacement. Next game we won 4-2 and Sturridge scored a hat-trick. Costa did nothing though.

Anyway, I'm gonna be changing my CAM to try out Gundogan, so now the other striker has to double link to Sturridge or Gundogan. (I've already sold Costa.) I certainly don't have Agüero money, so I'm wondering whether IF Defoe is any use? His shooting looks unreal but I usually avoid using midgets. Otherwise I could probably give Vardy a second chance, maybe with a different chem style.

TLDR: IF Defoe or Vardy? And if Vardy, which chemstyle is best?

Update: IF Defoe was crap as well, IF Kane is the best of the bunch. :smiley:
Post edited by Orikoru on

Comments

• Mini_Miudo
    9733 posts League Winner
    Ben Yedder!

...sorry, force of habit. :lol: Not a fan of either, if I had to choose I'd go with Vardy with Sniper.
  • Huxx
    2972 posts National Call-Up
    Defoe is overpriced now too due to POTM. IF Sigurdsson target man - into his feet then through to Studge?
  • Orikoru
    edited December 2016
    Huxx wrote: »
    Defoe is overpriced now too due to POTM. IF Sigurdsson target man - into his feet then through to Studge?

Remember the other guy needs to double link to Sturridge (or Gundogan).

Edit: regarding Defoe price - I wasn't aware of this. When does that end? I won't be buying until tomorrow or maybe even Friday. What's his price going to drop to do you reckon?
  • Huxx
    IF Kane?

I'm not sure I'd pay 35k for Defoe, I think his real value is more like 25k. But Vardy + Sturridge is so cliche.
  • Dandunescu
    183 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Defoe's shooting is unreal. He always finds a little bit of space to bang it home. Dunno what he's at atm, but you should definitely try him out. Him and Sturridge could be lethal. Make sure he has creators around him and he'll get you the goals.
  • Orikoru
    Dandunescu wrote: »
    Defoe's shooting is unreal. He always finds a little bit of space to bang it home. Dunno what he's at atm, but you should definitely try him out. Him and Sturridge could be lethal. Make sure he has creators around him and he'll get you the goals.

Interesting. As I mentioned, my only reservation with Defoe is that he's tiny, and other small players I've used just get squashed like flies. Does he hold his own alright? Get away from defenders still?
  • Orikoru
    IF Kane?

I'm not sure I'd pay 35k for Defoe, I think his real value is more like 25k. But Vardy + Sturridge is so cliche.

70k for IF Kane would be a bit much for me I think. Unless I get mega lucky with the rewards tomorrow (only silver 3 in WL though).
  • AlbinoDwarf
    343 posts Sunday League Hero
    im using IF defoe and he is great

using IF sigurdsson behind him and great also, i hate sturridge
  • Angy
    2624 posts Fans' Favourite
    IF Defoe is amazing! Also even though his price is inflated at the moment due to potm, if there is a requirement for potm in which he fits, his price would only increase further, so if you want to try him, buy him now! At worst you can sell him tomorrow for no loss
  • Orikoru
    Ok, you guys are swaying me towards Defoe. I'd like him to be a good because as a Spurs fan I love Defoe irl. Any chance his price will drop by the end of this week though?? Or will it keep rising for now?
  • Huxx
    He will rise until Friday at which point he will either be snapped up at 50k bin or he will drop into the 20s
  • Orikoru
    He will rise until Friday at which point he will either be snapped up at 50k bin or he will drop into the 20s

Hmm, ok. I won't be playing tonight or tomorrow night anyway, so I'll wait and watch for a bit.

Unless I randomly pack Agüero tomorrow, then this whole discussion will be moot. Haha.
  • jamcd
    451 posts Sunday League Hero
    Orikoru wrote: »
    Last night I reshaped my team so I could chuck Sturridge and Vardy up front (resisted for so long since they're overpriced but I was out of ideas). Long story short, the team played awfully, no wins in 4 games and neither of them managed a single goal. Vardy seemed like the worst offender, so I kind of rage sold him and impulse bought Diego Costa as his replacement. Next game we won 4-2 and Sturridge scored a hat-trick. Costa did nothing though.

Anyway, I'm gonna be changing my CAM to try out Gundogan, so now the other striker has to double link to Sturridge or Gundogan. (I've already sold Costa.) I certainly don't have Agüero money, so I'm wondering whether IF Defoe is any use? His shooting looks unreal but I usually avoid using midgets. Otherwise I could probably give Vardy a second chance, maybe with a different chem style.

TLDR: IF Defoe or Vardy? And if Vardy, which chemstyle is best?

From my experience, all the mid range strikers in the premiership are pretty pants in game (Aguero is absolutely class though, if you could ever afford him).

Vardy is very good at running at speed (in relatively straight lines) but he's not very agile, so he only really suits a get in behind counter attack style. In fact, Sturridge is exactly the same. So if you like to play possession football, or like to dribble, then they'll be pretty useless, which is why I didn't like them.

I would try out IF Defoe if I were you. He's shorter and has about 10 more agility than these two, and good enough finishing to be constantly dangerous. His stats mean he should be sort of like a striker version of Firminho.
  • Orikoru
    Cheers jamcd. I think I will try Defoe. As long as he doesn't get flattened by Smalling and co he should be scoring from all angles. Just going to watch his price for a bit now and see if he hopefully drops under 30k.
  • yiddo13
    1286 posts Professional
    I've used IF Kane, IF Defoe, Vardy & Sturridge and the only I like is Vardy. Kane is absolutely awful for me, even though I love the guy, Defoe never seemed to make and good runs and was static, I've just re-bought Sturridge to try alongside IF Kane but I'm not confident. Vardy was a beast, he had a 2 in 1 goals to game ratio for me during weekend league about 2 weeks ago, I only sold him because of the impending crash.... :'(
  • Orikoru
    yiddo13 wrote: »
    I've used IF Kane, IF Defoe, Vardy & Sturridge and the only I like is Vardy. Kane is absolutely awful for me, even though I love the guy, Defoe never seemed to make and good runs and was static, I've just re-bought Sturridge to try alongside IF Kane but I'm not confident. Vardy was a beast, he had a 2 in 1 goals to game ratio for me during weekend league about 2 weeks ago, I only sold him because of the impending crash.... :'(

Damn you, I had just about settled on JD, haha. Vardy was poor in the 4 games I used him. I know 4 games isn't a lot - but he couldn't get the ball under controlled, missed a couple of very good chances (worst of which was smacking the bar from like 7 yards out). I know he works for other people though as he scores against me often enough.
  • yiddo13
    1286 posts Professional
    Give JD a try mate, it might be how I've been using him, I don't think a lone striker role suits him, if you try him up top with someone else I can see him working better.
  • Orikoru
    Give JD a try mate, it might be how I've been using him, I don't think a lone striker role suits him, if you try him up top with someone else I can see him working better.

Fair play. I'm using 3-5-2 so I tend to have good numbers in attack. As I say, he'll have Sturridge and Gundogan near him, plus Berardi coming in off the right wing.
  • jamcd
    Orikoru wrote: »

Fair play. I'm using 3-5-2 so I tend to have good numbers in attack. As I say, he'll have Sturridge and Gundogan near him, plus Berardi coming in off the right wing.

That sounds like it will suit him quite well. He's not the kind of player that is going to be in behind I dont think, especially because of his workrates, but if you really want him to then you should change his instructions to 'get in behind' etc.

If you play possession then you should be able to work it around until he finds some space, then his shooting stats speak for themself :) I would give him a go myself if I didn't have Dybala and Aguero up front :p
  • jamcd

Hah! Exactly the same situation as me with Kane. As a fellow spurs fan I really wanted him to play well, but he was just not really good enough at any area of his game. The only thing he was good for was holding up the ball, passing and the occassional good positioning. Although he has to be in acres of space to not get caught/blocked. That was what annoyed me the most.
  • Orikoru
    jamcd wrote: »

Hah! Exactly the same situation as me with Kane. As a fellow spurs fan I really wanted him to play well, but he was just not really good enough at any area of his game. The only thing he was good for was holding up the ball, passing and the occassional good positioning. Although he has to be in acres of space to not get caught/blocked. That was what annoyed me the most.

I used normal Kane ages ago and it was a similar thing. If you got him the ball in a bit of space, chance are the shot would fly in. Getting him in that space was the difficult part though. With IF Defoe's agility and so on it should be easier I hope.
    If you play possession then you should be able to work it around until he finds some space, then his shooting stats speak for themself

I don't play possession as such, I kinda just pass it pretty directly to try and make chances. I have both my strikers on get in behind usually. If he manages that alright he should tuck some chances away - I have usually found that low defensive work rate and 'tries to beat defensive line' trait work really well with 'get in behind', so fingers crossed.
  • yiddo13
    1286 posts Professional
    jamcd wrote: »

Pretty much identical to my experience, I'll give him 5 games with Sturridge at the side of him in 4-1-2-1-2 and then he will be sold, especially with SIF Eriksen on the horizon, hopefully not an RM though...
  • Primofusion
    263 posts Sunday League Hero
    Bit of a curveball but have you tried Lukaku? He also has the 'beats defensive line' trait and although he only has about 80 speed he feels quicker than that as well as being strong on the ball. Think I had Hawk chem on him.
  • yiddo13
    1286 posts Professional
    Bit of a curveball but have you tried Lukaku? He also has the 'beats defensive line' trait and although he only has about 80 speed he feels quicker than that as well as being strong on the ball. Think I had Hawk chem on him.

He will be my Kane replacement if he bombs alongside Sturridge
  • Orikoru

Again the chemistry won't work, no double link. I also hate M/M work rates though. Seems to be the absolute worst (other than M/H).
  • Bob_Dylan
    19179 posts World Class
    Defoe
  • Musa?
  • Yermawfc
    1998 posts Fans' Favourite
    Defoe inform with hunter...thank me later!
  • AlbinoDwarf
    343 posts Sunday League Hero
    Yermawfc wrote: »
    Defoe inform with hunter...thank me later!

agree
  • Herish
    206 posts Sunday League Hero
    IF Defoe is incredible . If u like Vardy link them together . they will destroy defences