Observations of a Weekend League Rookie

S P 4 C E Y
2538 posts Fans' Favourite
edited December 2016
Qualified for the Weekend League for the first time. Made it to 18 wins with 6 to spare. Just a few observations.

1. Teams are generally incredibly boring. Played 1 legend in 36 games and Ronaldo once. Never Messi.
2. ADP is a cheat code (as above).
3. If you don't have Smalling then you aren't trying hard enough.
4. I enjoyed it more than I expected.
5. PTB is waaaaaay too effective.
6. You know in 10 minutes whether you could shoot all day and not score. Some games just won't happen for you.
7. A lot of kids refuse to skip replays and countdowns, even when I don't. Gamesmanship is rife.
8. 40 games is A LOT. Dunno how you all do it.
9. Don't play at 09.00am on Friday morning. A loss streak of 4 is not a good start to the day.
10. Considering this was my first time qualifying, I was really surprised by the average level of players. Only in 3 games did I feel up against considerably better players.
11. If you're going to insist on playing PTB from the first minute. I reserve the right to pass the ball amongst my players for the last 20 minutes and you lose the right to complain about it.

Did it with this team:

0hpD7z4.png

Top Scorers: Jonas (20), Futre (20), Willian (13)

Please god, don't let Smalling get an IF...
Post edited by S P 4 C E Y on

Comments

• Thefranchise92
    6164 posts Big Money Move
    Qualified for the Weekend League for the first time. Made it to 18 wins with 6 to spare. Just a few observations.

1. Teams are generally incredibly boring. Played 1 legend in 36 games and Ronaldo once. Never Messi.
    2. ADP is a cheat code (as above).
    3. If you don't have Smalling then you aren't trying hard enough.
    4. I enjoyed it more than I expected.
    5. PTB is waaaaaay too effective.
    6. You know in 10 minutes whether you could shoot all day and not score. Some games just won't happen for you.
    7. A lot of kids refuse to skip replays and countdowns, even when I don't. Gamesmanship is rife.
    8. 40 games is A LOT. Dunno how you all do it.
    9. Don't play at 09.00am on Friday morning. A loss streak of 4 is not a good start to the day.
    10. Considering this was my first time qualifying, I was really surprised by the average level of players. Only in 3 games did I feel up against considerably better players.
    11. If you're going to insist on playing PTB from the first minute. I reserve the right to pass the ball amongst my players for the last 20 minutes and you lose the right to complain about it.

Did it with this team:

0hpD7z4.png

Top Scorers: Jonas (20), Futre (20), Willian (13)

Please god, don't let Smalling get an IF...

Nice but maybe should be getting 25 wins with that team or atleast use the money a bit better
  • S P 4 C E Y
    Maybe I'm not good enough to get 25 wins? And I know that I could spend 700k+ better than on Maldini, but I got him for 640k and he's a rock...
  • Tom
    11377 posts Has That Special Something
    Maldini at LB and any Italian cb surely?
  • Thefranchise92
    6164 posts Big Money Move
    Maybe I'm not good enough to get 25 wins? And I know that I could spend 700k+ better than on Maldini, but I got him for 640k and he's a rock...

Yeah maybe get someone upfront for that? Think as a rule you should use money for big attacking and midfield
  • S P 4 C E Y
    Tom wrote: »

Maldini is dead at half time when you play him at LB...
  • DoD_Jester
    27291 posts Player of the Year

Do you like your team dude?

If so then enjoy it, love the amount of ppl here who dictate what others SHOULD use, usually the same ppl that ❤️❤️❤️❤️ about everyone having 25k bpl sides

Planning on playing next week or was this a one time thing?
  • AnDrEwThEdOn
    17270 posts World Class
    That is a lovely team.
  • S P 4 C E Y

Do you like your team dude?

If so then enjoy it, love the amount of ppl here who dictate what others SHOULD use, usually the same ppl that **** about everyone having 25k bpl sides

Planning on playing next week or was this a one time thing?

I do :) Despite all the PTB, and dominating games but still losing (as everyone experiences), I thoroughly enjoyed the games once I got into it.

I could sell Maldini and buy Crespo or someone, but I like persevering with a project. Maldini is so damn good, (a big upgrade on IF Manolas) I think I'd miss him...

Going to struggle with time next week, but definitely going to get some games in.

Anyone able to point me in the way of the breakdown for the monthly December rewards? No way will I have the time over Christmas and New Year to get gold over those weekends...
  • Wolver
    1773 posts Play-Off Hero
    Congratulations, man! Awesome results.

It matches my impressions. Also, I don't think I faced a single team that didn't have one of the following:

- Kante
    - Martial
    - Sterling

Also, what CT and Player instructions did you use for that team?
  • Absting159
    8024 posts Moderator
    Wolver wrote: »

It matches my impressions. Also, I don't think I faced a single team that didn't have one of the following:

- Kante
    - Martial
    - Sterling

Add Sanches to that list.

I hated my first experience. Not sure I'll try again.
  • Wolver
    1773 posts Play-Off Hero
    Absting159 wrote: »

- Kante
    - Martial
    - Sterling

@Absting159 how many wins?
  • Absting159
    8024 posts Moderator

- Kante
    - Martial
    - Sterling

9 and 15 left. . .this was at noon today and I got sick of it and just quit. I'd play one here and there but I didnt even try once I got to Silver 1; lol.

I'm not that good apparently. I literally gave away a goal in the first 5 minutes every game.
  • Wolver
    1773 posts Play-Off Hero

- Kante
    - Martial
    - Sterling

9 and 15 left. . .this was at noon today and I got sick of it and just quit. I'd play one here and there but I didnt even try once I got to Silver 1; lol.

I'm not that good apparently. I literally gave away a goal in the first 5 minutes every game.

Welcome aboard, brother... Me too. In my case it was due to the over the top aggressiveness of my opponents... Second half I could normally do something else...

I got 14 wins in 37 games... But I had to rush due to lack of time... If I had time I'd probably be 15 maybe even 16 wins :P I suck at this game. :P
  • Absting159
    8024 posts Moderator

- Kante
    - Martial
    - Sterling

Welcome aboard, brother... Me too. In my case it was due to the over the top aggressiveness of my opponents... Second half I could normally do something else...

I got 14 wins in 37 games... But I had to rush due to lack of time... If I had time I'd probably be 15 maybe even 16 wins :P I suck at this game. :P

I swear, the hair on Sanches gives him the ability and power of Gullit. It's stupid how good he is. Glad I wasn't the only rookie who got blasted.
  • mjs4p
    12305 posts Has That Special Something
    My first WL this week too. I agree with you guys; it is maddening to see the same players every match. I did learn about my own game though. I think it will make me a better player.
  • uhMaZiiNq
    12116 posts Has That Special Something
    First time I did it had 14 wins with 15 games remaining second 5 wins with 17 remaining. Wasn't a fun time
  • mjs4p
    First time I did it had 14 wins with 15 games remaining second 5 wins with 17 remaining. Wasn't a fun time

If that happens to me next week, I will probably quit FIFA for a few weeks. That sounds brutal.
  • uhMaZiiNq
    12116 posts Has That Special Something
    edited December 2016
    mjs4p wrote: »

If that happens to me next week, I will probably quit FIFA for a few weeks. That sounds brutal.

I quit a ton of games early tbf but I was not in the mood at all for the sweaty goal followed by PTB but it was dreadful. First go went well just didn't have time to play the last 15 games would've got gold for sure

I did pretty much stop playing for a few weeks lol made a proper team and doing much better now but haven't gone back into weekend league
  • Wolver
    1773 posts Play-Off Hero
    Don't even get me started with PTB.

I had at least 5 games that I scored first and the guy went PTB until the end.
  • mjs4p
    mjs4p wrote: »

I quit a ton of games early tbf but I was not in the mood at all for the sweaty goal followed by PTB but it was dreadful. First go went well just didn't have time to play the last 15 games would've got gold for sure

I did pretty much stop playing for a few weeks lol made a proper team and doing much better now but haven't gone back into weekend league

Completely understand. It's such a time and energy suck. The fact that I have a family and I probably played 13 hours of FIFA this weekend is somewhat crazy! :D
  • Mike
    10550 posts Has That Special Something

Did it with this team:

0hpD7z4.png
    Yeah, bit weird that
  • Ofthewelsh
    3568 posts National Call-Up
    I honestly find qualifying harder than playing the weekend league itself. It may well be in my head, but it's true for me.
    There's no way on earth I could manage 40 games over a couple of days though
  • Paciga45
    3872 posts National Call-Up
    Another 4321 superstar....
  • D3ATHSQUAD
    2984 posts National Call-Up
    Good read... I have not yet been able to qualify - lost in the finals of the qualifying tourney 2-3 times so far.

I just have to live vicariously through others until I can make it.
  • YouWantUsFC
    2752 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited December 2016
    :)
    Post edited by YouWantUsFC on
  • YouWantUsFC
    2752 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited December 2016
    :)
    Post edited by YouWantUsFC on
  • IDARYL
    5778 posts Big Money Move
    The lag and bs in WL is a great leveler in skill, a guy I'd beat in Season's 4 0 it will be a tight 1 0 win in WL..
  • Antparry92
    20630 posts Club Captain
    That is a lovely team.

• S P 4 C E Y
    Paciga45 wrote: »
    Another 4321 superstar....

Played 4-2-3-1 narrow all last season but doesn't work this year. Also required for chemistry.

Also, you're complaining about a formation. Seriously?!
  • Played it for the first time myself only got 14 wins but didn't get to play all the games. I assume the prizes don't stack up? When do you get them to your account?