Manchester City FC

Comments

• PES
    5173 posts Big Money Move
    Unlucky not to get the penalty. Even the best referees make mistakes.
  • Bluemoon
    15710 posts World Class
    Knew we were going to lose this, been **** since January tbf.
  • Mike
    9121 posts League Winner
    Soon...
    Brian-Kidd.jpg
  • Samuel
    319 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited April 2015
    It was a very absorbing game. Crystal Palace were good as a team with one or two standout performances, but I think more important was how bad and disjointed City looked at times.

You spent most of the first half holding on to the ball without threatening, then were hit them with a bit of clinical finishing and they more or less went to pieces. Second half hardly started before Murray bulldozed his way through some tackles and won a free kick for Punch, who dispatched it. City spent the next twenty minutes being quite embarrassingly useless. Toure was particularly useless, shooting wide and having a laughable semi-dive-semi-nap turned down. There was so little movement, City seemed to be standing around in scoring areas waiting for the ball to be delivered or, more often, waiting for a star player to take on the burden and try and dribble through our 8+ bodies in Palace's own third.

What was really strange was, as the team doing all the running, you’d expect CP to be the ones running out of energy, but City’s lethargy just seemed to grow as they ran out of time. Really bizarre; perhaps indicative of the advancing age of today’s 11? Either way, I’m sure it’s very concerning for City fans. Just like their goals came out of nowhere though, so did City’s, with Toure single-handedly justifying his poor game prior to that with a lovely finish.

Some other points I’d like to bring up:

First and foremost, Glenn Murray was absolutely outstanding. This year he hadn’t been given much of a chance as Warnock preferred Fraizer Campbell or Dwight Gayle over him. Then Pardew came in, gave him a chance and he essentially battered his way into the team with some solid performances, before starting a run of goalscoring form that’s culminated with this. This might have been the best all-round game I’ve ever seen from Murray, even including his ridiculous Championship year; he dominated Kompany and Demichelis and gave CP a constant out ball when they were under pressure. And then of course he scored the first and won the free kick for the second. It was such a good traditional English number 9 performance by him and the City backline were unable to cope.

From having terrible luck early in the season, it has come around a bit and they're getting a few breaks. City should’ve had a handball for a penalty which would have changed the game, but I guess that’s how it works. Bit of a shame for City fans, I sympathise.

Zaha had a quiet game, but it was one of those quiet games where he didn’t do a lot on the ball but influenced it quite noticably. He was mostly handled well by Clichy, but Joel Ward’s presence meant he occasionally went free and he kept dragging Fernandinho over to that side of the pitch, leaving space for Puncheon. Still, he’s been in good form recently, so one average game I’ll let him off for.

Pardew’s done so much so since he's moved to Palace, the fruits of which were visible here: Murray especially, but also how the team defends. Under Warnock we would retreat right into our half and turtle up. Today, they were adventurous and got bodies forward on the counter to support Murray. Pardew’s taught the team to value transitions, and the benefits are reaping. Of course, ames McArthur in some ridiculous form helps when attempting to dominate the midfield.
  • ViVaWhom
    6591 posts Big Money Move
    atleast this confirms you beating us, be happy about that
  • Ahmer50x
    11566 posts Has That Special Something
    ViVaWhom wrote: »

No need to be so pessimistic. They'll actually be up for the derby, but we can compete with them. It'll be close but I think we might just edge it.
  • Mike
    9121 posts League Winner
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

No need to be so pessimistic. They'll actually be up for the derby, but we can compete with them. It'll be close but I think we might just edge it.
    We'll be up for the derby? I doubt it. Seems more important to United than to City.

• Bluemoon
    15710 posts World Class
    Irritating how every game we dominate possession but have few clear chances to score. We persist with playing slow football focusing it down the middle but it gets stopped so easily, teams just regroup and play compact. We have no width or any sort of direct route, at least with Negredo we had that.

At least we'll get the squad reshaped, huge wake up call this season.
  • Teh Zombz
    3425 posts National Call-Up
    Mike wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »

We'll be up for the derby? I doubt it. Seems more important to United than to City.

Yous lot always turn up in the derby

• if someone buys my ronaldo for 3.301mil 5hours 55mins from now 4 owners 32 games 22 goals 15 assists i will give them 400k back by buying their players. xbox one
    Wrong section.
  • hasan09876
    15330 posts World Class
    How far are Liverpool are off city maybe I have renewed hope.
  • stickey
    14698 posts Has That Special Something
    7 points. Only worthwhile teams they're playing are QPR and Villa, Southampton won't have anything to play for come the end of the season and Spurs will undoubtedly roll over for them.

Excluding the derby obviously but they'll lose that too. Even so, the top four this year is pretty much set.
  • hasan09876
    15330 posts World Class
    And the hope has now gone.
  • Bluemoon
    15710 posts World Class
    stickey wrote: »
    7 points. Only worthwhile teams they're playing are QPR and Villa, Southampton won't have anything to play for come the end of the season and Spurs will undoubtedly roll over for them.

Excluding the derby obviously but they'll lose that too. Even so, the top four this year is pretty much set.

Yeah top 4 is set, failure if we finish below 2nd.
  • Mike
    9121 posts League Winner
    Keep the faith, guys. I'm still hoping for Europa League.
  • Mike
    9121 posts League Winner
    Bluemoon wrote: »

Like it matters

• stickey

Like it matters
    Of course it does. No CL qualifier.
  • Mike
    9121 posts League Winner

Like it matters
    Don't really mind playing some pointless game

• stickey

Like it matters
    Two pointless games.*

Not exactly sure which teams are seeded and not but a tie against Valencia or Lazio could prove tricky.
  • ffs Martan
    9792 posts League Winner
    Samuel wrote: »
    It was a very absorbing game. Crystal Palace were good as a team with one or two standout performances, but I think more important was how bad and disjointed City looked at times.

You spent most of the first half holding on to the ball without threatening, then were hit them with a bit of clinical finishing and they more or less went to pieces. Second half hardly started before Murray bulldozed his way through some tackles and won a free kick for Punch, who dispatched it. City spent the next twenty minutes being quite embarrassingly useless. Toure was particularly useless, shooting wide and having a laughable semi-dive-semi-nap turned down. There was so little movement, City seemed to be standing around in scoring areas waiting for the ball to be delivered or, more often, waiting for a star player to take on the burden and try and dribble through our 8+ bodies in Palace's own third.

What was really strange was, as the team doing all the running, you’d expect CP to be the ones running out of energy, but City’s lethargy just seemed to grow as they ran out of time. Really bizarre; perhaps indicative of the advancing age of today’s 11? Either way, I’m sure it’s very concerning for City fans. Just like their goals came out of nowhere though, so did City’s, with Toure single-handedly justifying his poor game prior to that with a lovely finish.

First and foremost, Glenn Murray was absolutely outstanding. This year he hadn’t been given much of a chance as Warnock preferred Fraizer Campbell or Dwight Gayle over him. Then Pardew came in, gave him a chance and he essentially battered his way into the team with some solid performances, before starting a run of goalscoring form that’s culminated with this. This might have been the best all-round game I’ve ever seen from Murray, even including his ridiculous Championship year; he dominated Kompany and Demichelis and gave CP a constant out ball when they were under pressure. And then of course he scored the first and won the free kick for the second. It was such a good traditional English number 9 performance by him and the City backline were unable to cope.

From having terrible luck early in the season, it has come around a bit and they're getting a few breaks. City should’ve had a handball for a penalty which would have changed the game, but I guess that’s how it works. Bit of a shame for City fans, I sympathise.

Zaha had a quiet game, but it was one of those quiet games where he didn’t do a lot on the ball but influenced it quite noticably. He was mostly handled well by Clichy, but Joel Ward’s presence meant he occasionally went free and he kept dragging Fernandinho over to that side of the pitch, leaving space for Puncheon. Still, he’s been in good form recently, so one average game I’ll let him off for.

Pardew’s done so much so since he's moved to Palace, the fruits of which were visible here: Murray especially, but also how the team defends. Under Warnock we would retreat right into our half and turtle up. Today, they were adventurous and got bodies forward on the counter to support Murray. Pardew’s taught the team to value transitions, and the benefits are reaping. Of course, ames McArthur in some ridiculous form helps when attempting to dominate the midfield.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/31o5cs/post_match_thread_crystal_palace_fc_21_manchester/cq3crss

Oh, you. :3
  • Mike
    9121 posts League Winner

Like it matters
    Two pointless games.*

Not exactly sure which teams are seeded and not but a tie against Valencia or Lazio could prove tricky.
    We win them, good. We lose, fantastic. Europa League dream is on.

• :lol: I was wondering why he randomly referred to Palace as 'we' in his last paragraph.
  • ffs Martan
    9792 posts League Winner
    Evra wrote: »
    :lol: I was wondering why he randomly referred to Palace as 'we' in his last paragraph.
    "dribble through our 8+ bodies in Palace's own third."

:lol:
  • Ash
    21413 posts Club Captain
    What the hell, why would you even plagiarise that

• Andy
    7849 posts League Winner
    Ash wrote: »
    What the hell, why would you even plagiarise that

This fool is in need of his own thread :lol:
  • Samuel
    While I'm sure there's much to discuss about Pellegrini's tactics, surely there's a question to be asked of his leadership? Or perhaps of Kompany's as well. You're right in that City look lethargic. I thought Puncheon's goal came at a bad time for Palace, even, since it seemed to kick City into gear (finally). City lacks the swagger and confidence that should come with the arrogance of how lazy they are being. Is Pelligrini failing to motivate his side? Ozil is always critiqued for his lack of "desire", but I feel parts of this City team can be as well.

On the tactical side, I think subbing on Lampard was a poor choice. Taking Dzeko wasn't the problem, mind you, since he was getting absolutely no service. Nasri seemed to make an instant impact; I'm surprised he wasn't brought on sooner. Pellegrini can be forgiven for choosing pace to deal with Zaha and the like, but Silva and Yaya were totally unable to unlock Palace. What has happened to Yaya, anyway? I was convinced during the African Cup that City were doing poorly because he was away, but his return hasn't improved anything. He seems to be jogging for most of the match and is prone to his rockets to the moon, masked only by that gorgeous shot.

Anyway, I don't really know what I'm talking about so I'm happy to be corrected, but it just seems City's mentally not in the right place right now, and I'd like to blame that on Pellegrini.

:)
  • Jaymizzo
    2345 posts Fans' Favourite
    edited April 2015
    ffs Martan wrote: »

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/31o5cs/post_match_thread_crystal_palace_fc_21_manchester/cq3crss

Oh, you. :3
    @Samuel
    Id hate to see the state of your essays.
  • Samuel
    Remarkably, they're pretty impressive. 113/120 wrekd
  • Jaymizzo
    2345 posts Fans' Favourite

You have the right to remain silent, anything you do or say may be used against you in the court of RF.
  • Handy Andy
    5533 posts Big Money Move
    Jaymizzo wrote: »

You have the right to remain silent, anything you do or say may be used against you in the court of RF.
    *CD ;)