Manchester City FC

Comments

• Pietu
    6574 posts Big Money Move
    Low Ki wrote: »
    The one good contribution from Woodward.

They aren't putting money in to the team, they are taking it out!
  • Pietu
    Yes, but he’s not interested in the PL.

And Brendan won’t downgrade.

In no way would that be a downgrade for Rodgers, that would be an upgrade, unless City absolutely lose it.
  • Gervonta
    4111 posts National Call-Up
    Pietu wrote: »

In no way would that be a downgrade for Rodgers, that would be an upgrade, unless City absolutely lose it.

I’m sure this will have a big affect on them tbh. They aren’t big commercially so will they risk faking the books again after this? They’re on course to lose out on well over 100m for this so that’ll hit them hard then the fact they could have to shift some players on because of the wages.

I don’t think they’ll go to pre takeover state but they certainly will start to struggle to comply with FFP unless they again fake sponsorships and income.
  • Pietu
    Gervonta wrote: »

I’m sure this will have a big affect on them tbh. They aren’t big commercially so will they risk faking the books again after this? They’re on course to lose out on well over 100m for this so that’ll hit them hard then the fact they could have to shift some players on because of the wages.

I don’t think they’ll go to pre takeover state but they certainly will start to struggle to comply with FFP unless they again fake sponsorships and income.

If they sell KDB and Bernardo for example, they will gain well over 100M. Yes, this could have a really big affect ok them but if most of their players want to stay and battle for the league title then I don’t see them falling that much. They also have many players worth a lot so unless they need to sell over 500M worth of players, I can't see them falling behind you or Arsenal for example in the next 2 seasons. Also, a lot depends on who they get as a Pep replacement.
  • Gervonta

If they sell KDB and Bernardo for example, they will gain well over 100M. Yes, this could have a really big affect ok them but if most of their players want to stay and battle for the league title then I don’t see them falling that much. They also have many players worth a lot so unless they need to sell over 500M worth of players, I can't see them falling behind you or Arsenal for example in the next 2 seasons. Also, a lot depends on who they get as a Pep replacement.

Yeah I don’t think they will fall apart quickly. I think give it a couple of years and they will start to fade away from a power house to sort of how arsenal have been for the last 10-15 years. Don’t think they’ll get relegated but I highly doubt they’ll assemble a world beating squad unless they forge the books again or actually take time to bring in lesser known players and develop them.

City just haven’t got the pulling power to get massive marketing deals they aren’t a global brand no matter how much they try to act like they are. They don’t sell out the stadium and it’s clear on live tv so they can’t even fake the gate receipts. That’s probably why they gave influencers tickets to game in order to act like they’d paid for the ticket so they could add it to the gate sales :lol:
  • Pietu

Yeah I don’t think they will fall apart quickly. I think give it a couple of years and they will start to fade away from a power house to sort of how arsenal have been for the last 10-15 years. Don’t think they’ll get relegated but I highly doubt they’ll assemble a world beating squad unless they forge the books again or actually take time to bring in lesser known players and develop them.

City just haven’t got the pulling power to get massive marketing deals they aren’t a global brand no matter how much they try to act like they are. They don’t sell out the stadium and it’s clear on live tv so they can’t even fake the gate receipts. That’s probably why they gave influencers tickets to game in order to act like they’d paid for the ticket so they could add it to the gate sales :lol:

This can be a blessing in disguise tbh. If this will make all the plastics go away and in return, make the real fans come to watch the games and start to sell out the stadium and develop their own personality and atmosphere. And then, because of those, they can start to climb back to the top, then imo, it would be worth it.
  • Low Ki
    12277 posts Has That Special Something

This can be a blessing in disguise tbh. If this will make all the plastics go away and in return, make the real fans come to watch the games and start to sell out the stadium and develop their own personality and atmosphere. And then, because of those, they can start to climb back to the top, then imo, it would be worth it.

I can definitely see the atmosphere in the Etihad improve from what it currently is in that situation. No more Emptihad.
  • Pietu
    Low Ki wrote: »

I can definitely see the atmosphere in the Etihad improve from what it currently is in that situation. No more Emptihad.

I hope it wont happen, I don’t like City because of what they did last season and I'm not talking about them winning the title and also all the Emptihad jokes would go.
  • Southgatology
    1549 posts Play-Off Hero

Eh? So what’s stopping the ‘real fans’ from coming to watch the games now? Don’t see the logic in that statement.
  • Pietu

Eh? So what’s stopping the ‘real fans’ from coming to watch the games now? Don’t see the logic in that statement.

Some fans probably lost interest because of the financial backing. The whole "it's not our club anymore" thing.
  • Mike
    10240 posts Has That Special Something

What?
  • Southgatology
    1549 posts Play-Off Hero

Some fans probably lost interest because of the financial backing. The whole "it's not our club anymore" thing.

Would be even worse. They weren’t even selling out Maine Road before the money came in. If they lost all their plastics they would literally have a half empty stadium
  • Pietu

Would be even worse. They weren’t even selling out Maine Road before the money came in. If they lost all their plastics they would literally have a half empty stadium

Wouldn’t say no to that :lol:
  • Southgatology
    1549 posts Play-Off Hero

Agreed. As much as I hate Liverpool i at least respect them as a club. City are nothing without oil money.
  • Pietu

Agreed. As much as I hate Liverpool i at least respect them as a club. City are nothing without oil money.

Agreed. Also don’t like some of the players because of the song they were signing last year after winning the title and that one lawyer who basically cheered for some guys death.
  • Tornado31619
    21124 posts Club Captain

Mike wrote: »

What?

Leicester have CL football, a very good core (providing that it remains intact) and an excellent scouting system. They aren’t as reliant on player sales as Monaco or Ajax.
  • Tornado31619
    21124 posts Club Captain
    Thought this would be worth sharing.
    tilen11 wrote: »
    Some news about City. Seems like everything could fall apart.

-Manchester City will have to restructure their finances completely, potentially leading to the sale of leading players such as Raheem Sterling, Kevin De Bruyne and Aymeric Laporte, and also face the possibility of being stripped of their 2014 Premier League title if their two-year ban from European competitions is upheld.

-Mauricio Pochettino and Brendan Rodgers would be in the running to succeed Pep Guardiola if the Manchester City manager quit over the club's two-season ban from the Champions League.

-Manchester City's players were told to attend a meeting yesterday with Ferran Soriano, the club's chief executive, within an hour of the news of their two-year Champions League ban breaking on Friday evening.

-Manchester City's stars could walk away as free agents because the club have fundamentally breached their contracts, according to sports lawyer John Mehrzad.

-Juventus are closely monitoring the situation Manchester City are in according to sources in Italy in hopes of trying to lure Pep Guardiola to Turin.

And the most serious one is this:

The decision that City will receive their ban was supposedly discussed and accepted in the summer when CAS officials met in Lozano, Switzerland. Premier League leading officials also started investigating and if they find that FFP regulations have been violated by Manchester City they could be demoted to as low as Sky Bet League 2 and would be stripped of their titles.
  • Mike

What?

Leicester have CL football, a very good core (providing that it remains intact) and an excellent scouting system. They aren’t as reliant on player sales as Monaco or Ajax.
    All they would have over on us is Champions League football, and that isn't even a guarantee. We are better than Leicester in every way shape and form.
  • Southgatology
    1549 posts Play-Off Hero

What?

All they would have over on us is Champions League football, and that isn't even a guarantee. We are better than Leicester in every way shape and form.

Leicester have an 11 point cushion. I’d say they are pretty much guaranteed CL football at this point.
  • Mike

What?

Leicester have an 11 point cushion. I’d say they are pretty much guaranteed CL football at this point.
    The first season of CL football would be the one they finish in the top 4 this current season, the 2nd season isn't a guarantee
  • Pietu
    I agree with @Mike on this one, that would be an upgrade for Rodgers.
  • Ahmer50x
    22916 posts Club Captain
    Of course Man City is an upgrade on Leicester, CL or not :joy:
  • Pietu
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Of course Man City is an upgrade on Leicester, CL or not :joy:

Thank you! :)
  • Pxul_
    9366 posts League Winner
    No way is Man City an upgrade, they’re gonna have no players left and no Europe.

Man City are done.
  • Tornado31619
    21124 posts Club Captain
    City aren’t done, but I’d stay away from them for now. Don’t sleep on Leicester.
  • Ahmer50x
    22916 posts Club Captain
    Some of you lot are acting as though City are actually being sent down to league 2.

They'll still have one of the biggest budgets in football and will be competing for every domestic trophy.

A few players may leave and it'll be harder to secure targets, but this is still a top club.
  • Gervonta
    Some of you lot are acting as though City are actually being sent down to league 2.

They'll still have one of the biggest budgets in football and will be competing for every domestic trophy.

A few players may leave and it'll be harder to secure targets, but this is still a top club.

City could well be relegated. I don’t think you realise how much of a impact this ban will have on city. I’m sure it’s around £200m of earnings they’ll be down. They hardly sell out at games or merchandise. They can’t fake the books or they’ll be risking an even worse end result than this.

There owners can be as rich as they want but FFP is there so teams don’t spend more than they earn. City’s earnings will be drastically lower now there is no CL and I’m sure all their sponsors will be looked at thoroughly so they won’t be able to claim “Etihad airways “ is willing to give them £100m a year for a sponsorship.

City won’t go to a pre 2008 stage but they won’t be able to run as they have for the past decade.
  • Southgatology
    1549 posts Play-Off Hero

City could well be relegated. I don’t think you realise how much of a impact this ban will have on city. I’m sure it’s around £200m of earnings they’ll be down. They hardly sell out at games or merchandise. They can’t fake the books or they’ll be risking an even worse end result than this.

There owners can be as rich as they want but FFP is there so teams don’t spend more than they earn. City’s earnings will be drastically lower now there is no CL and I’m sure all their sponsors will be looked at thoroughly so they won’t be able to claim “Etihad airways “ is willing to give them £100m a year for a sponsorship.

City won’t go to a pre 2008 stage but they won’t be able to run as they have for the past decade.

Yeah this is now the key point. Now this will change they don’t even have money.
  • Cyodine
    2360 posts Fans' Favourite

This. No reason to expect a mass exodus of players to want out from City. CL football is attractive but so is money and lots of it. If Pep stays put, then that is another positive when it comes to recruiting players, he is still one of the best managers out there when it comes to developing players.
  • Southgatology
    1549 posts Play-Off Hero
    Cyodine wrote: »

This. No reason to expect a mass exodus of players to want out from City. CL football is attractive but so is money and lots of it. If Pep stays put, then that is another positive when it comes to recruiting players, he is still one of the best managers out there when it comes to developing players.

What money?