Manchester City FC

Comments

• Wyojasond
    11116 posts Has That Special Something
    FUT_Moe wrote: »
    finsfan85 wrote: »
    Wow Oliver, that's a sham!!! Poor poor standard, pure goal robbed!

This explains it best. Not Oliver’s fault at all. These are the rules now.

I see what you mean. Should be a penalty then, no? It was a shared handball.

No it was just off Laporte.

VAR got it right, but it’s a rule that will have to be looked at I think. Two weeks in a row it’s decided a game 🤷‍♂️
  • Pietu
    1743 posts Play-Off Hero
    Devers wrote: »
    Hahahahahahhahahahahah

Put the camera on pep hahahhaha

Pep went from looking like he and Aguero needed a room to looking like he and Pochettino could come to blows

This got me thinking, who would win in a fight, Pep or Poch? 🤔
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner
    Wow Oliver, that's a sham!!! Poor poor standard, pure goal robbed!

This explains it best. Not Oliver’s fault at all. These are the rules now.

I see what you mean. Should be a penalty then, no? It was a shared handball.

No it was just off Laporte.

VAR got it right, but it’s a rule that will have to be looked at I think. Two weeks in a row it’s decided a game 🤷‍♂️

No problem with this call. It literally changed the path of the ball into Jesus. Rightly disallowed.
  • finsfan85
    12162 posts Has That Special Something
    Pietu wrote: »
    Hahahahahahhahahahahah

Pep went from looking like he and Aguero needed a room to looking like he and Pochettino could come to blows

Why would anyone want to fight Poch? Seems like a really nice guy 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Ahmer50x
    17108 posts World Class
    Hahahahahahhahahahahah

Poch. He’d fight dirty IMO
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner
    edited August 17
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Hahahahahahhahahahahah

Poch. He’d fight dirty IMO

Always the Argentinian.
  • Shshj
    3925 posts National Call-Up
    I don't like VAR. Rightly or wrongly, I think these last two City - Spurs games have proved that it has damaged the spirit of the game.

Human error is still very much present in the subjective calls like that Rodri corner in the first half.
  • Tropicaz XBL
    4217 posts National Call-Up
    RIP football.

Huge disgrace, VAR and the rules are a sham
  • LFC Simon 98
    16496 posts World Class
    #MindTheGap
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner
    RIP football.

How is it a disgrace!? :joy:
  • G000ner
    4054 posts National Call-Up
    I'm convinced VAR is gonna carry Spurs to the title
  • Shshj
    Shshj wrote: »
    I don't like VAR. Rightly or wrongly, I think these last two City - Spurs games have proved that it has damaged the spirit of the game.

Human error is still very much present in the subjective calls like that Rodri corner in the first half.

VAR is in the game to get the calls corrected. In this case, VAR made the correct call according to the new hand ball rules. VAR shouldn’t be blamed here. The rule change should.

I'd prefer it if VAR was just limited to offside calls, as they're black & white, you're either offside or you're not.

The controversial calls will come with fouls, handballs etc. as human error will always play a part.
  • Wyojasond
    edited August 17
    I genuinely cannot understand why people are still ripping into VAR. Like it or not it’s gotten the call right so far every time.

All goals are reviewed (as they should be) and like Couchy said, the ball bounced off an arm right into Jesus path. Handballs like that get called all the time in the middle of the pitch too 😂

If that happened to my team I’d be pissed too, but it doesnt change the rule.
  • G000ner

VAR is in the game to get the calls corrected. In this case, VAR made the correct call according to the new hand ball rules. VAR shouldn’t be blamed here. The rule change should.

I'd prefer it if VAR was just limited to offside calls, as they're black & white, you're either offside or you're not.

The controversial calls will come with fouls, handballs etc. as human error will always play a part.

Even the offside calls are debatable- like that one at City last week. If it's a clear offside then the majority of the time the linesman spot it. If it's a tight offside then I feel like VAR is just as susceptible to get decisions wrong as the linesman. I thought VAR was supposed to correct clear and obvious errors
  • finsfan85

But in this case, the hand ball was black and white. Any use of the hand by the scoring team, even accidental, will be called as a hand ball. Not sure if I agree with the rule or not, but that is the rule at the moment.
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner

Handball is even more black and white. The offside calls are a shambles, the VAR replay system runs on a frame rate FAR LESS than the TV cameras. It’s so inaccurate when they have to choose the ‘closest’ frame.
  • ViVaWhom
    7828 posts League Winner
    anyone who has a problem with VAR doesnt want fair decisions or are ignorant on the rules, simple as that

it has been perfect this season, and no i wont change my mind when man utd goal gets cancelled by VAR, just like i still supported it after Matas goal was disallowed for his knee being offside last season in FA cup (granted at first i thought it wasnt an obvious mistake so felt it was harsh, but then learned that doesnt come into it for offside calls and accepted it)

• Shshj

But in this case, the hand ball was black and white. Any use of the hand by the scoring team, even accidental, will be called as a hand ball. Not sure if I agree with the rule or not, but that is the rule at the moment.

Whether it's the rule or VAR, there are certainly ways it can be improved.

My post was directed more towards decisions like the Rodri/Lamela tussle in the first half. It's a stonewall penalty but for whatever reason they didn't even review it.
  • Mike_Pickford
    3682 posts National Call-Up
    #MindTheGap

Yikes.

I'll come find you at the end of the season.
  • Mike_Pickford
    3682 posts National Call-Up
    As for VAR, as brutal as it is for it to have happened yet again against Spurs, it is the right call. No arguments from me.

Not happy about the apparent VAR interpretation on the Rodri incident in the first half though... Arm wrapped around Rodri's neck/shoulders. Can't understand why that wasn't at least looked at by Oliver.
  • Shshj
    edited August 17
    As for the new handball rule, it seems extremely naive if they're going to disallow goals for any contact whatsoever.

I was watching MOTD last week and thought it was odd that this wasn't given as a penalty (1:34 in the video). Surely it should go both ways, and not just be disallowed in an attacking-sense?

• Tropicaz XBL
    4217 posts National Call-Up
    Couchy wrote: »
    RIP football.

VAR officials not making Oliver review a clear and obvious error for the penalty decision in the first half, and the new handball rules are quite simply a farce
  • G000ner
    regardless of what you think about VAR, I think it's safe to say football has lost today boys
  • Couchy
    9505 posts League Winner
    RIP football.

VAR officials not making Oliver review a clear and obvious error for the penalty decision in the first half, and the new handball rules are quite simply a farce

Agree on the first point but not the handball. The handball can not be argued, accidental or not it changed the path of the ball into Jesus.
  • LFC Simon 98
    16496 posts World Class
    #MindTheGap

Yikes.

I'll come find you at the end of the season.

Called a joke pal. Try be less serious
  • Delboy13710
    4716 posts National Call-Up
    I'll take it but its undeserved spurs played terrible today .city should have had a penalty as well .
    I also feel Sissoko handball was harsh in the final but rules are rules
  • Wyojasond
    edited August 17
    Mike is gonna come back from being banned and faint when he sees all these comments in the City thread 😂😂😂
  • finsfan85
    RIP football.

Could be wrong here, but I don’t think the Premier League is implementing VAR as we have seen in the past. It seems the VAR officials are making the call and relaying that to the referee. I don’t think they are instructing the referee to review anything.
  • ChrisLFC
    7025 posts Big Money Move
    wth22 wrote: »
    Imagine having everything go your way. Offsides, penalties, 50-50 calls, barely any injuries to key players. Beyond the top of your game.

If we had VAR this season City would have 100 points again and would have won by 15 points.

Regression to the mean next season.

Is this what regression to the mean looks like? :D