Comments

• Sellish
    7537 posts League Winner
    Mike wrote: »
    SDoofus wrote: »
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Couchy wrote: »
    Imagine if Sterling had a bit of composure...

Imagine if he was actually good

Bit harsh.

He can be extraordinarily wasteful and even with the inflation of the market I still wouldn’t pay even near to £50m for him but there is a reason as to why he is getting those numbers in the league. He is still a very good player.

His manager is the reason.

Give Pep Martial and he'd look like Ronaldo.
    Sterling is twice the player Martial is, and that's not because of the manager

Lol I am a Sterling fan, but it is nonsense to say that Martial is half the player Sterling is. I consider Martial to be the same kind of level as the likes of Sadio Mane. Is Mane half the player Sterling is too?

Sterling has great positional awareness, he reminds me of Salah in that aspect, but so does Martial. I’d like to see Martial under Pep or Klopp, tbh.

I’d take Martial over Sterling at Liverpool.
    Obviously ‘twice the player’ was a hyperbole, but I do think Sterling is hands down better than Mane and Martial, that really isn’t up for debate in my opinion.

To say that it's not up for debate that Mane & Martial is on the same lvl as Sterling can only be said from a City fan.

Sterling is a good player, he is great under Pep.
    But Martial and Mane are also very good players. Sterling isn't KDB or Hazard lvl. But those 3 players are 1 lvl below them.
  • SDoofus
    3821 posts National Call-Up
    Sellish wrote: »

Bit harsh.

He can be extraordinarily wasteful and even with the inflation of the market I still wouldn’t pay even near to £50m for him but there is a reason as to why he is getting those numbers in the league. He is still a very good player.

Lol I am a Sterling fan, but it is nonsense to say that Martial is half the player Sterling is. I consider Martial to be the same kind of level as the likes of Sadio Mane. Is Mane half the player Sterling is too?

Sterling has great positional awareness, he reminds me of Salah in that aspect, but so does Martial. I’d like to see Martial under Pep or Klopp, tbh.

Obviously ‘twice the player’ was a hyperbole, but I do think Sterling is hands down better than Mane and Martial, that really isn’t up for debate in my opinion.

To say that it's not up for debate that Mane & Martial is on the same lvl as Sterling can only be said from a City fan.

But Martial and Mane are also very good players. Sterling isn't KDB or Hazard lvl. But those 3 players are 1 lvl below them.

Hazard is on the same level as Mane, Martial and Sterling.
  • SDoofus
    Since Mane arrived to the PL, he has 50 goals and 21 assists in 134 games. In that time, Hazard has 53 goals and 25 assists (7 more than Mane) in 150 games (16 more than Mane).

I'm sorry but, people really need to stop putting Hazard up on a pedestal just because he plays pretty and has the occasional unplayable game. He is simply not consistent enough to be up in that bracket and that's why he belongs with the likes of Mane, Sterling and Martial.
  • Sellish
    7537 posts League Winner

Bit harsh.

No he isn't. Don't bring up stats because if you watch him play you see how he is one of the best players in the league.
    The only reason why he isn't playing in a club like Madrid is because he is inconsistence enough to be bad for a whole season.
  • SDoofus

Bit harsh.

No he isn't. Don't bring up stats because if you watch him play you see how he is one of the best players in the league.
    The only reason why he isn't playing in a club like Madrid is because he is inconsistence enough to be bad for a whole season.

It's easy to say don't bring up stats, but the fact is, Hazard doesn't contribute enough to be put on a bracket above players who contribute at the same rate, or a better rate than him. Where is the sense in that?
  • ViVaWhom
    6576 posts Big Money Move
    edited November 2018
    Sorry doofus but once again you think a player can only contribute through goals/assists... hazard could beat 3 players, lay it wide to willain who makes a simple pass to morata for a tap in and the player most important there doesnt get any statistical credit

this is one thing you need to move away from, yes stats can be used as part of an argument but not as THE argument
  • SDoofus
    Since Martial arrived to the PL, he has 30 goals and 15 assists in 95 games. Hazard has 39 and 16 in 112 games.

Martial contributed to a goal every 2.1 games
    Hazard every 2 games.

Virtually identical.
  • SDoofus
    ViVaWhom wrote: »
    Sorry doofus but once again you think a player can only contribute through goals/assists... hazard could beat 3 players, lay it wide to willain who makes a simple pass to morata for a tap in and the player most important there doesnt get any statistical credit

this is one thing you need to move away from, yes stats can be used as part of an argument but not as THE argument

Lol Hazard literally has zero second assists this season. Sterling has 2. Martial and Mane also have zero.
  • ViVaWhom
    6576 posts Big Money Move
    I personally would easily have Hazard over Martial or Mane... he attracts defenders, beats them for fun, he can win games on his own

Martial and Mane are usually the side pieces, if team plays well they contribute, otherwise they are useless
  • SDoofus
    edited November 2018
    Yeah, considering he gets similar numbers to the likes of Mane, Martial, Sterling, his ability on the ball is an extra bonus, so it makes sense to take him over the others, but I'm simply saying he should not be put on that top bracket like he so often is. In my opinion, to be in that top bracket, you have to AT LEAST have the goals and assists to back it up, if you're a forward, ffs. I've said this before, but what do the best forwards in the game have in common?

Goals and assists. And lots of them.

I'm sorry but beating 3 men and laying it off is no substitute for raw goals and assists.
  • forearms
    3811 posts National Call-Up

Lol Hazard literally has zero second assists this season. Sterling has 2. Martial and Mane also have zero.

And the World Cup stats?
    Hazard 3g 2a
    Sterling 0g 1a

Did you watch the World Cup and say Sterling is somehow the equal to Hazard? Hazard was MOTM when they played England in the 3rd place match, or are we still pretending that game didnt happen?
  • SDoofus
    edited November 2018
    forearms wrote: »

And the World Cup stats?
    Hazard 3g 2a
    Sterling 0g 1a

Did you watch the World Cup and say Sterling is somehow the equal to Hazard? Hazard was MOTM when they played England in the 3rd place match, or are we still pretending that game didnt happen?

Is Artem Dzyuba better than Sterling? He scored 3 and got 2 assists too and did it in less minutes than Hazard.

Hazard is a streaky player. The World Cup is a very small sample size. This is my point. He turns it on for small stretches but is not consistent enough to put in the numbers over a whole season that would deservedly put him in that bracket he’s always being put in.
  • forearms

And the World Cup stats?
    Hazard 3g 2a
    Sterling 0g 1a

Is Artem Dzyuba better than Sterling? He scored 3 and got 2 assists too and did it in less minutes than Hazard.

Hazard is a streaky player. The World Cup is a very small sample size. This is my point. He turns it on for small stretches but is not consistent enough to put in the numbers over a whole season that puts him in that bracket he’s always being put in.

But its somehow ok to throw out some stat for second assists? Obviously when the garbage you spew is in your favor.
  • SDoofus

And the World Cup stats?
    Hazard 3g 2a
    Sterling 0g 1a

Hazard is a streaky player. The World Cup is a very small sample size. This is my point. He turns it on for small stretches but is not consistent enough to put in the numbers over a whole season that puts him in that bracket he’s always being put in.

But its somehow ok to throw out some stat for second assists? Obviously when the garbage you spew is in your favor.

That was in response to being told that Hazard makes up for his lack of goals and assists with second assists, keep up.
  • Bob_Dylan
    18458 posts World Class
    Mané and Sterling are about the same level, Martial is one or two below
  • SDoofus
    edited November 2018

And the World Cup stats?
    Hazard 3g 2a
    Sterling 0g 1a

That was in response to being told that Hazard makes up for his lack of goals and assists with second assists, keep up.

Just to add to this, he didn't make a single second assist in the League last season either, @ViVaWhom
  • forearms

And the World Cup stats?
    Hazard 3g 2a
    Sterling 0g 1a

What is it about De Gea and Hazard that makes you go to the lengths of the Earth to find stats to discredit them? When someone brings up Hazard World Cup it's too small a sample size. Premier League POTY still not good enough. You were even throwing around some asinine quotes from a second tier keeper (that didnt mention De Gea) as somehow proof that De Gea isnt great.

Did they somehow personally wrong you that you have to put them down on each thread on this forum?
  • Kellnerr
    1919 posts Play-Off Hero
    Was Lampard a better player than Gerrard then too?
  • SDoofus
    edited November 2018

And the World Cup stats?
    Hazard 3g 2a
    Sterling 0g 1a

What is it about De Gea and Hazard that makes you go to the lengths of the Earth to find stats to discredit them? When someone brings up Hazard World Cup it's too small a sample size. Premier League POTY still not good enough. You were even throwing around some asinine quotes from a second tier keeper (that didnt mention De Gea) as somehow proof that De Gea isnt great.

Did they somehow personally wrong you that you have to put them down on each thread on this forum?

You’re taking this way too personally :D

Edit: I wouldn't say comparing saves per goal is going to the lengths of the earth to discredit De Gea. I just think he's been very poor this season, that's all. I've said multiple times that he was superhuman last season, so obviously I am not saying he's always been poor. Just this season.

I've put a lot more effort in the Hazard debate, and I am only expressing my opinion. I do not see why he should be placed in a bracket above players who contribute the same as him, or more than him, over the course of several seasons.

I didn't say it was too small a sample size, I said it was a small sample size and cited it as more evidence that he's a streaky player. Don't put words into my mouth to try and belittle me, thanks.
  • forearms

And the World Cup stats?
    Hazard 3g 2a
    Sterling 0g 1a

If you read my post, you would see I think it's you that's taking it personally.
  • SDoofus
    Kellnerr wrote: »
    Was Lampard a better player than Gerrard then too?

Is that aimed at me?

I'd put Gerrard and Lampard in the same category. The same bracket. That is kind of my point. To me, people putting Hazard on a bracket above the likes of Mane, Sterling, etc is like people putting Gerrard on a bracket above Lampard, or vice versa. It doesn't make any sense.
  • SDoofus

And the World Cup stats?
    Hazard 3g 2a
    Sterling 0g 1a

If you read my post, you would see I think it's you that's taking it personally.

See my edit, I expanded and answered you.
  • SDoofus
    edited November 2018
    Also, can I add, no one has actually presented a case with substance, showing why Hazard is in a bracket above the likes of Mane, Sterling, Martial, etc. I am still waiting for something better than "because he is" or making something up like second assists when he doesn't even have any. I am willing to hear out strong evidence, but so far I am not seeing any.
  • Sellish
    7537 posts League Winner
    Also, can I add, no one has actually presented a case with substance, showing why Hazard is in a bracket above the likes of Mane, Sterling, Martial, etc. I am still waiting for something better than "because he is" or making something up like second assists when he doesn't even have any. I am willing to hear out strong evidence, but so far I am not seeing any.

The way he carry a team imo.
    He can come of the bench and change the whole game and carry the team.

Whilst Martial and Mane have moment of brilliance, I'm not seeing them dominate games like Hazard does.
  • SDoofus
    edited November 2018

The way he carry a team imo.
    He can come of the bench and change the whole game and carry the team.

Whilst Martial and Mane have moment of brilliance, I'm not seeing them dominate games like Hazard does.

That's ok, but does he do it enough? The answer is no, and once again, it's an issue of consistency.

It feels like recent events are once again clouding judgements. Yes, he came off the bench against Liverpool and tore us apart, but he just played 90 minutes against Everton and did nothing. He did nothing against Man United or West Ham. All 3 of those games ended in draws, so that's arguably 6 points dropped because Chelsea's superstar that they rely on didn't turn up. Again, he's inconsistent. And that's why I refuse to put him in a bracket above those others. If he was genuinely in that bracket below Messi and Ronaldo, he would not go missing as often as he does. I don't see why people find this so difficult to comprehend.

Edit: Can you imagine De Bruyne going missing that often? What about the Salah of last season? A player who performs at that sort of level consistently is a player who can be put in that bracket, imo. It remains to be seen if Salah can stay there this season, and unfortunately for De Bruyne, he's having injury issues, but the point still stands. Hazard's best season doesn't even come close to either of those players, let alone his normal seasons. Just like Mane, Martial, Sterling, etc.
  • SDoofus
    And before anyone pipes up, I put Salah in the same bracket as Hazard, Sterling, Mane, Martial, etc, right now. Salah has this season to move up a bracket for me, and that remains to be seen. If he can knock in 25+ goals and 10+ assists in the League again, he's going up.
  • Apollo
    7854 posts League Winner
    And before anyone pipes up, I put Salah in the same bracket as Hazard, Sterling, Mane, Martial, etc, right now. Salah has this season to move up a bracket for me, and that remains to be seen. If he can knock in 25+ goals and 10+ assists in the League again, he's going up.

To be honest, if he does manage that, I don't think very many people here would take issue with it. Maybe the odd one or two, but that's always the way
  • SDoofus
    edited November 2018
    Apollo wrote: »

To be honest, if he does manage that, I don't think very many people here would take issue with it. Maybe the odd one or two, but that's always the way

Agreed, and that's how it should be. If he doesn't achieve that, I have no problem conceding that Salah isn't in that bracket below Messi/Ronaldo.

Hazard really should not be talked about as though he's in that bracket lol. Until he produces something worthy of being there. Honestly, I am a big Hazard fan in actuality, and it does baffle me a bit that his numbers aren't that great, but when looking at it closely, it does become very apparent that he is extremely inconsistent. But when he's good, he's VERY good. So good that you kind of forget that he's not always that good, if that makes sense? It muddles people's perspective of him, imo.
  • finsfan85
    10446 posts Has That Special Something
    Oh. It’s just Doofus’ weekly attempt at belittling the Premier League’s best player.
  • SDoofus
    edited November 2018
    finsfan85 wrote: »
    Oh. It’s just Doofus’ weekly attempt at belittling the Premier League’s best player.

They are pretty clear and concise points, actually. Care to present a case for what makes him the best player in the League?