Orca's (otherwise known as the Killer Whale) are toothed whales which belong to the Dolphin family. They can be located within all oceans and are apex predators. They are not harmful to humans apart from multiple cases which have occurred at infamous resort "SeaWorld" due to growing frustration of their inhumane living conditions.
The largest recorded size of an Orca was 32ft long and it weighed a whopping 10,000kg. This helpful photo allows you to see what an Orca would look like in comparison to a human being.
Fun Orca Facts (FOF)
- The white circles are not their eyes
- They travel in groups called pods and are very social animals
- When born they are approximately 7ft wide
- They're hella scary but also very cute
- They are top of the food chain and no other animal hunts them
- Average Orca is between 22ft and 26ft long
- They're pretty beast
- The only reported cases of an Orca killing a human have been from the ones in captivity
- They travel at up to 30mph, making them one of the fastest animals in the sea
- They are able to control the flow of blood to their hearts and brains, which keeps them from suffering from a lack of oxygen when they are deep underwater
- They eat up to 5% of their body weight each day. This averages out to over 500 pounds of food for each Orca
Killer whales commonly live from between 50-80 years, however ones in captivity only manage to reach around 20-30. Their brain is 5 times the size of a humans. They do not breed with relatives.
Adopt an Orca
If you have any questions about Orcas, feel free to ask me. Also feel free to share your experiences with Orcas in the past. This will hopefully be a fun place for whale lovers to hang out and have fun together. Thanks for your time.
Welcome to the Orca Lounge