The Orca Lounge

MJP
5944 posts Big Money Move
aeef0af74c29002b7edde15fc0436af4.png

large-Orca-Whale-photo.jpg

tumblr_n46rwfFnIr1siyh34o2_250.giftumblr_n46rwfFnIr1siyh34o1_250.gif

Orca's (otherwise known as the Killer Whale) are toothed whales which belong to the Dolphin family. They can be located within all oceans and are apex predators. They are not harmful to humans apart from multiple cases which have occurred at infamous resort "SeaWorld" due to growing frustration of their inhumane living conditions.

220px-Orca_size-2.svg.png
The largest recorded size of an Orca was 32ft long and it weighed a whopping 10,000kg. This helpful photo allows you to see what an Orca would look like in comparison to a human being.

Fun Orca Facts (FOF)
- The white circles are not their eyes
- They travel in groups called pods and are very social animals
- When born they are approximately 7ft wide
- They're hella scary but also very cute
- They are top of the food chain and no other animal hunts them
- Average Orca is between 22ft and 26ft long
- They're pretty beast
- The only reported cases of an Orca killing a human have been from the ones in captivity
- They travel at up to 30mph, making them one of the fastest animals in the sea
- They are able to control the flow of blood to their hearts and brains, which keeps them from suffering from a lack of oxygen when they are deep underwater
- They eat up to 5% of their body weight each day. This averages out to over 500 pounds of food for each Orca

Killer whales commonly live from between 50-80 years, however ones in captivity only manage to reach around 20-30. Their brain is 5 times the size of a humans. They do not breed with relatives.

Famous Orcas
kalina.jpg
Shamu

Adopt an Orca
http://uk.whales.org/adoptions/orcas

If you have any questions about Orcas, feel free to ask me. Also feel free to share your experiences with Orcas in the past. This will hopefully be a fun place for whale lovers to hang out and have fun together. Thanks for your time.

Welcome to the Orca Lounge

Comments

• Sloosh
    6753 posts Big Money Move
    really overrated animal
  • Greed378
    2369 posts Fans' Favourite
    @Welbeck deal with this bad thread please
  • Kanturk
    715 posts Sunday League Hero
    Cool animal m8
  • LiamSully
    6202 posts Big Money Move
    Why the Orca bias? There's many varieties of whale, yet you go with the most famous

Glory hunter
  • MJP
    LiamSully wrote: »
    Why the Orca bias? There's many varieties of whale, yet you go with the most famous

Glory hunter
    This is my specific favourite, would you like to discuss yours?
  • Tropicaz XBL
    4346 posts National Call-Up
    mm beasty animal would like to touch one very silky
  • dannyboy
    12834 posts Has That Special Something
    Free Willy :3
  • IAmDean
    374 posts Sunday League Hero
    I sometimes dream that i'm married to one and it's a very nice and happy dream. I love them so much.
  • Bidwell
    8359 posts League Winner
    who would win in a fight between an orca and 2 slightly smaller orcas?
  • MJP
    Bidwell wrote: »
    It depends on what you class as "slightly smaller".
  • Bidwell
    8359 posts League Winner
    MJP wrote: »

How much smaller would the pair have to be before you think the lone orca could win?
  • MJP

How much smaller would the pair have to be before you think the lone orca could win?
    Significantly I believe, they work very well in pairs and the strategical advantage could be enough to see off the lone Orca.
  • bear
    6030 posts Big Money Move
    Id be more scared of orcas than sharks. A shark will take a nibble (just see if your food), but then will most likely spit it out and move on with it's day. An orca is smart enough to decide before hand if your food than methodically plan how to kill and eat you with its buddies.
  • MJP
    bear wrote: »
    Id be more scared of orcas than sharks. A shark will take a nibble (just see if your food), but then will most likely spit it out and move on with it's day. An orca is smart enough to decide before hand if your food than methodically plan how to kill and eat you with its buddies.
    Agreed, they're incredible clever and probably the most terrifying animal of the sea.
  • Bidwell
    8359 posts League Winner
    Agreed, they're incredible clever and probably the most terrifying animal of the sea.

I am more scared of the giant squid personally.
  • bear

You're never going to be in the same zone as one unless it's dead
  • Bidwell
    8359 posts League Winner

You're never going to be in the same zone as one unless it's dead

Thats what they want you to think
  • chaz
    1905 posts Play-Off Hero
    One time I was aboard the Calmac ferry heading for the Isle of Barra. Suddenly a ripple of excitement spread from the deck down into the interior of the ship. We were hearing all sorts of rumours and whispers. From an old man falling overboard and into the Atlantic in a desperate attempt to rescue his walking stick from the same fate, to an 'ice cream boat' bravely battling the harsh conditions to serve the cold creamy concoction to the tourists of the Outer Hebrides. We rushed up the steps and when we reached the deck were greeted with an utterly magnificent sight. Only slightly better than the concept of an ice cream boat, mind. It was an orca. Swimming majestically in parallel with the ship. The stuff of dreams, really. That is for sure a memory I will treasure for as long as I live.
  • MJP
    @chaz that is a really lovely story, I'm glad you could share it with all of us. What would you say the approximate size of the orca was? They're pretty majestic creatures.
  • Antparry92
    17931 posts World Class
    Have a marine biology degree and they are the only marine mammal I would consider doing further study in to
  • bear
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    Have a marine biology degree and they are the only marine mammal I would consider doing further study in to
    Blue Whales tho

• MJP
    Good to hear you're a fan. Did you learn a lot?
  • MJP

Pretty cool.
  • Rozz
    6721 posts Big Money Move

what kind of jobs does that get you?
  • Antparry92
    17931 posts World Class
    Rozz wrote: »

A lot of academic work if I wanted to. Other than that it's all pretty much research work with fieldwork etc. My main interests are fisheries and conservation issues so I can also apply for government jobs regarding fisheries etc
  • Rozz
    6721 posts Big Money Move

A lot of academic work if I wanted to. Other than that it's all pretty much research work with fieldwork etc. My main interests are fisheries and conservation issues so I can also apply for government jobs regarding fisheries etc

do u mind me asking , did u do a masters or just the undergrad?
  • Antparry92
    17931 posts World Class

do u mind me asking , did u do a masters or just the undergrad?
    Was suppose to do masters but I pulled out, would rather volunteer, gain experience next year or possibly get a job rather than waste an extra year studying
  • MJP
    Not entirely Orca related but if you haven't seen this, you should check it out;

Awesome animals.