Legends...what makes them? 10 years from now, who are your 10 legends...

Comments

• Solomace
    460 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited November 2016
    Drizzt wrote: »
    Drizzt wrote: »
    zzachzx wrote: »
    Solomace wrote: »
    zzachzx wrote: »
    You wouldn't say Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney were world class at their peak? lol

Nope, I wouldn't :) I would say they were great players but not world class. World class is chucked around easily. Would you put any of them 3 up against Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Suarez? I wouldn't.

There is an argument to say that there is a class above world class and that is genius. I would say if that was the case then yes, Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard were world class, but not that class above that would in my opinion include - Pele, Maradona, Cryff, Eusabio, Messi, Zidane, Zico, Ronaldo, Ronaldo (fat), Best. *** Spelling is fubar because I've switched to Vodka...

Edit. The only world class player I've seen for England would have to be Gazza. If he'd just joined Man U at his pomp, Fergie would have controlled him and moulded him into one of the best ever.

To me he was the first Brazillian English player I've seen :).

Oh and this is coming from a Liverpool fan that acknowledges Fergie as being one of the best managers I've seen... Ack!

Well since you're a Liverpool fan, let's discuss Gerrard, why not? I'd definately group him in world class.

Probably one of the best players in the world in 2005
    Big game player (ignoring his "Slippy G" moment)
    One of the most capped players for England
    Constantly leading an average Liverpool side through the 2000s while Rooney, Scholes constantly played with superstars (Gerrard had Diao, Scholes had Veron)
    Consistently good for a decade (dropped off in his last 2 years though)

The only reason I could see why you'd see him as not world class is he's never held the Premier League trophy.

Looking forward to your response, please tag me when you do

Hi m8, I've mentioned many times why I don't classify him as world class. Everything you're said makes him a club legend beyond no doubt and he's my third best Liverpool player of all time behind John Barnes and Dalglish.

In the end, this post has made me realise we all have different opinions on what world class means just like ea has a different opinion on what makes a legend. Cash obviously is the main drive to them.

What would've made him world class then, in your opinion?

Maybe I'm being unfair, but winning the premiership is a possibility but making England a better team as well as going abroad and doing it in Spain / Italy / Germany etc not the MLS.

Now I know Messi hasn't done the abroad or international so it shows my opinion isn't a harden fast rule. But hey, once again it's about opinions.

Sorry mate, I just can't agree with that.

Not sure why you feel you have to :wink: I'm not asking you to agree.

I'm sure that me not thinking Gerrard is/was world class has very little effect on him and I'm still going to get his legend card in a few years :smile:

**Edit** The Drizzt response is my other account. I must have had it logged in by mistake so it is me responding to you :smile: