Legends...what makes them? 10 years from now, who are your 10 legends...

Solomace
460 posts Sunday League Hero
edited November 2016
So I was playing my son with my usual classic X11 vs Adidas all stars and it got me thinking again about what makes a legend.

The Classic 11 has in my opinion some of the most real legends in the game, barring the 1mil + legends that are available and every year I pray to the Fifa gods to let Voller, Riverlinho and of cause the majestic Zico available in UT. Shesh, I would even turn to the darkside and pay copious amounts in coins for Zico (yea, I went there :wink: ).

However my son is 11 and we had a chat about footballers of today that in 10 years could/should have a legend card. The argument though was what makes a legend. Is it club? Is it country? Is it both? Is it just because you're a name? The answer is what YOU think makes a legend.

So my sons' top ten players that will be or should be legends in the next 20 year.

Ronaldo (CR7), Messi, Ibra, Rooney, Lahm, De Gea, Buffon, Chiellini, Ramos, Dani Alves.

I think most would agree this is a very good list, but then he asked me mine...

Of today's I found it hard because being born in 1970, I still can see so many players that are better than todays. So my list was totally different except for two...

Ronaldo (CR7), Messi, John Barnes, Voller, Zico, Rush, Dalglish, Zidane, Maradona, Socrates.

Ignoring all my drunk waffle, what to you makes a legend and what would be your future top 10...

Oh and a massive Liverpool fan, I wouldn't have Jamie Cara as a legend. Club legend yes, without a doubt, legend legend, not a chance.

A legend to me has to be... World class. World class does not mean great players ala Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Totti, etc, I mean those that are just that step above, such as Suarez, Aguero, Ramos and ofc the Pele and Maradona of the current times Messi and Ronaldo...

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm drunk on some fine single malt and listen to some wicked trance so I'm in the contemplative mood.

Post or not, read or not. Either way, good health and luck on packs to you...

Comments

• Absting159
    6794 posts Moderator
    I feel the need to respond simply because of how long the post was :)

Guys I've seen (only been watching footie intently for about 10 years) would be the likes of Zidane, Becks, Ronaldinho. . .my minds going blank but those were the first 3 that popped in my head!
  • Martythedoc
    2372 posts Fans' Favourite
    Dani alves is not a legend. Very good in a great barca team. For me over the past 10 years (apologies if any of these are in FUT already)
    Henry
    Brazil ronaldo, ronaldinho, rivaldo
    Messi
    Ronaldo
    Lahm
    A.Cole
    Zidane

I disagree on totti true legend in his prime (unlike a certain giggs, and I'm a utd fan)

• Martythedoc
    Absting159 wrote: »
    I feel the need to respond simply because of how long the post was :)

Guys I've seen (only been watching footie intently for about 10 years) would be the likes of Zidane, Becks, Ronaldinho. . .my minds going blank but those were the first 3 that popped in my head!

Beck's a legend, come now. Great leader but not legend
  • Ily
    455 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited November 2016
    Great subject, my top 10 that i ve seen in my life and think they deserve to have a legend card once they retire are: Messi, C.Ronaldo, Ronaldo da lima, Roman Riquelmi, Zidane, Gerrard, Buffon, Xavi, Cassillas, Cheillini
  • WFCBagnall
    70227 posts Moderator
    Buffon
    Lahm Terry Ramos
    Messi Zidane Beckham Ronaldo
    Ronaldinho
    Ronaldo Henry
  • A legend for me has to transcend the sport or change the way it's played. Worldwide renown, at least several years of being considered one of the best. Multiple trophies in club and international. Preferably winner of Balón D Oro or equivalent.

My top 10

Pele
    Maradona
    Ronaldo (R9)
    Ronaldo (CR7)
    Messi
    Ronaldinho
    Zidane
    Di Stefano
    Maldini
    Banks (GK)

• Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    edited November 2016
    Obviously Messi and Ronaldo.
    Sneijder
    Robben
    Lahm
    Casillas
    Suarez
    Pirlo
    etc
  • Martythedoc
    Can't believe I missed xavi, iniesta
    Though if they did international legends Robbie Keane, Klose
  • Moose Factory
    3526 posts National Call-Up
    I love a fine single malt and contemplative moments like what you're experiencing now, and as a father I look forward to sharing my love for the game with my daughter... but claiming Totti isn't/wasn't world class... what?!? We'd have to have a deeper discussion on what really makes a legend. I think respect plays a bigger part than many want to admit.

I'll have to get back to you on my top ten.
  • DoD_Jester
    26335 posts Player of the Year
    edited November 2016
    R9
    Maradona
    Batistuta
    R Baggio
    Cafu
    Zidane
    Makelele
    Thierry Henry
    Raul
    Xavi(once he officially retires)

Would be my 10(obviously CR and messi are in there but wanted to keep it to retired players)

And no comment on Totti, he'd be top of my list once he's finished playing
  • mjs4p
    11092 posts Has That Special Something
    I'm ignoring positions and just throwing out names: Messi, Ronaldo, Henry, Zidane, Romario, Roberto Baggio, R9 Ronaldo, Lahm, Seedorf, Davids.

I'm struggling with defenders, but I'm sure there are plenty!
  • mjs4p
    11092 posts Has That Special Something
    Can't believe I missed xavi, iniesta
    Though if they did international legends Robbie Keane, Klose

Yeah, Xavi and Iniesta both deserve a shout.

• Solomace
    I love a fine single malt and contemplative moments like what you're experiencing now, and as a father I look forward to sharing my love for the game with my daughter... but claiming Totti isn't/wasn't world class... what?!? We'd have to have a deeper discussion on what really makes a legend. I think respect plays a bigger part than many want to admit.

I'll have to get back to you on my top ten.

Ahh, thats why I love these time m8. My brain isn't cluttered with work, Trump, money, health etc, just pure, relaxing, mellow whisky drunk.

In the end, no one can tell anyone on these forums who's world class and who isn't, we can only say from our own perspective.

You may though have hit on one of the single most attributes that make a legend... respect... I haven't thought of that before and it defo does make a big difference.

Well played sir...

I have 0 respect for Beckham btw, because my wife of 20 years would still do him and has always wanted to... Great passer of a ball, great FK taker, but overall in my humble drunk opinion, an OK footballer...

• Sanchezzzz
    3868 posts National Call-Up
    Ronaldo
    Messi
    Xavi
    Iniesta
    Pirlo
    Buffon

Also struggling with defenders!
  • chaz
    1905 posts Play-Off Hero
    Haha good post. For me a legend has to be or have been one of the best players in their position at any time (top 2/3/4 maybe). The longer they've been there the more likely to be considered 'legendary' they are. Current players that are currently/will become legends in my eyes; Messi & Ronaldo (obv), Neymar, Casillas, Buffon, Lahm, Iniesta. And tbh beyond that I'm struggling to think of anyone. I don't think any of the current centre backs should ever be considered legends. And I think that being a great leader/captain also enhances your status as a legend.

Very few of the EA's 'legends' are actually legends.
  • BernardLerring
    378 posts Sunday League Hero
    Best xi of players seen In my lifetime would be something like

Schmeichel
    Cafu
    Maldini
    Ferdinand
    Nesta
    Xavi
    Iniesta
    Ronaldinho
    Messi
    C ronaldo
    Ronaldo

Would be pretty attacking :D
  • zzachzx
    4493 posts National Call-Up
    You wouldn't say Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney were world class at their peak? lol
  • Solomace
    edited November 2016
    zzachzx wrote: »
    You wouldn't say Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney were world class at their peak? lol

Nope, I wouldn't :) I would say they were great players but not world class. World class is chucked around easily. Would you put any of them 3 up against Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Suarez? I wouldn't.

There is an argument to say that there is a class above world class and that is genius. I would say if that was the case then yes, Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard were world class, but not that class above that would in my opinion include - Pele, Maradona, Cryff, Eusabio, Messi, Zidane, Zico, Ronaldo, Ronaldo (fat), Best. *** Spelling is fubar because I've switched to Vodka...

Edit. The only world class player I've seen for England would have to be Gazza. If he'd just joined Man U at his pomp, Fergie would have controlled him and moulded him into one of the best ever.

To me he was the first Brazillian English player I've seen :).

Oh and this is coming from a Liverpool fan that acknowledges Fergie as being one of the best managers I've seen... Ack!
  • FGseixas
    530 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Ronaldo, Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Buffon, Lahm, Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldinho and CAFU (yes, I really think Cafu is a world legend).
    And I really want Garrincha, Nilton Santos, Carlos Alberto Torres and others legends from Brazil.
  • rckstr
    5288 posts Big Money Move
    Luis Suarez
  • Solomace
    FGseixas wrote: »
    Ronaldo, Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo, Buffon, Lahm, Pirlo, Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldinho and CAFU (yes, I really think Cafu is a world legend).
    And I really want Garrincha, Nilton Santos, Carlos Alberto Torres and others legends from Brazil.

Some great class, world class names there m8.

I have no issue with Cafu being classified as a world legend. Him and Carlos on both sides were a joy to watch.
  • If Donovan and Lalas got a legend card, Lampard and Gerrard better get one too. :D
  • Antparry92
    17669 posts World Class
    If you've never thought Gerrard was world class then I just don't know what to say. The guy was world class in what he done, there's no denying that to me personally.
  • Solomace
    If Donovan and Lalas got a legend card, Lampard and Gerrard better get one too. :D
    If Donovan and Lalas got a legend card, Lampard and Gerrard better get one too. :D

Are we talking $$$ legends on Fifa or real legends :wink:

$$$ legends = Anyone that will appeal to a particular county.

Real legend is a... Well I guess that's what this thread is kinda about :smile:
  • Solomace
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    If you've never thought Gerrard was world class then I just don't know what to say. The guy was world class in what he done, there's no denying that to me personally.

Hey, I'm a big Liverpool fan. Gerrard is one of my all time Liverpool heroes. World class... Nope.

Let me ask, what has he done to drag England up? Some of the best world class players have been for club and country and in some (Maradona) have dragged there country to the top honours. Would you say Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney helped England be all that they can be? Nope, they failed in every tournament they were in.

I will admit, the Messi's and Ronaldos of todays football, haven't been the best at tournaments, (Did Ronaldo win the euros for Portugal? I don't think so), but I still think these are way above the rest.
  • StewParty
    4056 posts National Call-Up
    Aguero
    Gerrard
    Iniesta
  • Hibee
    12027 posts Has That Special Something
    Nice list. Nice to see you include Dalglish. Still waiting for the first Scottish Legend. Not many options really, no doubt Dalglish would be the first choice.

Others I would like which you haven't included:
    Di Stefano
    G Muller
    Souness
    Eusabio
    Platini
    Cruyff
  • Antparry92
    17669 posts World Class
    Solomace wrote: »
    Antparry92 wrote: »

Hey, I'm a big Liverpool fan. Gerrard is one of my all time Liverpool heroes. World class... Nope.

Let me ask, what has he done to drag England up? Some of the best world class players have been for club and country and in some (Maradona) have dragged there country to the top honours. Would you say Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney helped England be all that they can be? Nope, they failed in every tournament they were in.

I will admit, the Messi's and Ronaldos of todays football, haven't been the best at tournaments, (Did Ronaldo win the euros for Portugal? I don't think so), but I still think these are way above the rest.
    United fan and Welsh and still think he's a legend for what he's done at club level. Messi is yet to win an honour internationally and Ronaldo albeit poor performance wise was a leader for that Portuguese side in the euros so obviously played a part in it. I think nowadays we have to base opinions more off club level due to the nature of fixtures and the fact there are a lot of filler friendlies internationally now. Can you think of anyone during Gerrard's time that done what he done? You could say Lampard clubwise but Gerrard was by far a much rounded midfielder
  • Arsenalfan97
    7698 posts League Winner
    I personally think Messi,ronaldo,Suarez,Lahm,neuer,xavi,iniesta,alexis Sanchez(largely for his goals for chile),Ramos and Ibra will all be legends.
  • solnasolna08
    1781 posts Play-Off Hero
    Casillas
    Buffon
    Gerrard
    Iniesta
    Totti
    Villa
    Etoó
    Ibra
    Robben
    Ronaldo