Defending help.

Dez1888
1152 posts Professional
I'm decent at reading my opponent and intercepting but I'm not great at the tackling part. My opponents can tackle me as soon as they get near me, seems like they are glued to me, hassling constantly and constantly fouling. How are they doing this as I can't do it back? Anyone able to share some info or a tutorial? Looked for a tutorial but nothing really other than to read players. Cheers all!

Comments

• JPRM71
    3064 posts National Call-Up
    With the input lag and slow reaction of the game to your button press it's becoming nigh impossible to defend.
    I'm like you in that I can read what they are gonna do but the game won't let me move my players as quick as I'm thinking if you get what I mean.

I guess it's all down to timing and as such with the lag is now a lottery.
    A lot of people seem to Auto defend with the AI, I don't know how but they stick to you like glue.
    Every pass gets intercepted, zero fun '17
  • indcolts18288
    4536 posts National Call-Up
    Do you use high pressure? You're probably like me and one of the few who don't. 95% of the opponents I come across use high pressure so they're stuck to you like glue. I rarely slide tackle and often times my opponents get near their box and that's where I use circle and make my move. I also use X to put my defender in position to make the tackle/interception. Lately I've been playing well with my fullbacks because I've been coming up against a ton of wide formations. As far as tutorials I don't like them as much as I like watching good players on twitch. Watching good players has really helped my game on both sides of the pitch. High pressure gets frustrating I would learn to stop dead in your tracks, pull the ball back and then go or make a pass. Passing is also important I've become a tiki taka player because that seems to be the best way to counter high pressure. The good thing about the opponent using high pressure is that their defenders are usually dead after 50-60' and it opens them up to getting abused.
  • P1tch_1nvaderz88
    14340 posts World Class
    edited October 2016
    I like to use 2nd man pressure and let him close down and me cut the potential pass out, if I can of course. Depends on your opponent...lots of people using PTB tactics too
  • Dez1888
    1152 posts Professional
    edited November 2016
    I try the auto defending with the AI but I don't think I'm very good at it. I don't use high pressure or custom tactics but for the first time I'm considering it. Just annoys me how as soon as they're close their players make a tackle but even with me spanning the tackle button mine don't! It's definitely something I'm doing wrong but they can outmuscle me so easily!
    Post edited by Dez1888 on
  • indcolts18288
    4536 posts National Call-Up
    Dez1888 wrote: »
    I try the auto defending with the AI but I don't think I'm very good at it. I don't use high pressure or custom tactics but for the first time I'm considering it. Just annoys me how as soon as there close their players make a tackle but even with me spanning the tackle button mine don't! It's definitely something I'm doing wrong but they can outmuscle me so easily!

Yeah it can be frustrating and I wouldn't use AI with your defenders it will downgrade your skill and also they act stupid sometimes.