domitating games but cannot score HELP!

1
stupot
43 posts Park Captain
im regulary dominating games with around 60 -65% possession and at least 12 shots on goal and around 8 on target per game but i cant seem to score more than one goal.
last night i had 18 shots 14 on target and still lost 1-0 (he had 2 shots, 1 on target)
my main question is, should i be finessing shots or smashing them? how much power should i be using when in and around the box, the opponent keeper saves a hell of a lot of my shots and often ends up man of the match. i can't seem to get it right where i can shoot into the top corner.

any tips would be helpful

Comments

  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    Finesse is not as good as last year. The most OP finish seems to be a normal power shot (no shoulder buttons) across the keeper - so aim to the left with a right-footer and vice versa. I speak as someone who has also struggled with finishing - once I 'un-learned' finessing it to the right (because on 16 that would work 9 times out of 10) and started powering across the keeper instead, I scored a few more goals.
  • Santiago
    21531 posts Club Captain
    Double Tap B or O when 1v1
  • OfficerJimlahey
    1902 posts Fans' Favourite
    You need to learn the different types of finishes for different scenarios. In one on ones I find holding finesse and tapping shoot while aiming at the corner is fool proof. When you are a little wider and running at pace, I find slightly angling your player towards goal and doing a driven shot across the keeper works a charm. Etc etc

    Just work out what is best, you have to almost relearn finishing, forget what you knew before and start again
  • Incrediblewoody
    126 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    It's hard to say, were all your shots great chances? one on ones? long shots?

    I beat someone the other day who dominated possession, he had about quadruple my shots but I wouldn't say it was unlucky or unfair for him as all my shots were either one on one or two on one. All of his were weird angles, long range or always when my defender was containing right in front of him (shock horror, a block).

    Perhaps it's not your finishing and it's more to do with how good your chances are.

    Try being more patient in the final third, quickly pass on the edge of the box back and forth to make a yard of space, try to increase the quality of your attempts on goal, don't be afraid to pass back if it's not looking like a certain goal.

    Also, across body bottom corner seems to be the go to this year for shooting.

  • randomhero1090
    5627 posts Big Money Move
    edited October 2016
    Orikoru wrote: »
    Finesse is not as good as last year. The most OP finish seems to be a normal power shot (no shoulder buttons) across the keeper - so aim to the left with a right-footer and vice versa. I speak as someone who has also struggled with finishing - once I 'un-learned' finessing it to the right (because on 16 that would work 9 times out of 10) and started powering across the keeper instead, I scored a few more goals.

    Exactly.

    It's actually kind of pathetic some of the shots that go by keepers that are cross body. They could be less then a foot to the side of the keeper and go right by.
  • silverdale10
    1528 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited October 2016
    I just scored a complete joke of a goal to win a game in the final seconds, Silva on a 180 degree turn on the edge of the box to make an instant trickle of a shot and an 88 rated goalkeeper spills it into the net. Previous game Sturridge has an open goal from close range and hits the crossbar.
  • stupot
    43 posts Park Captain
    maybe the way to go is not to finesse then?
    1v1 it always works into the bottom corner like someone said above,

    to clarify i play with lots of possesion taking my time with the mindset that a chance will eventually come, i'm not one of these players who shoots from just about anywhere!

    my last game after posting was 14 shots 9 on target, but a lot of them were me trying to finesse it into the corner from the angle and the keeper making a one handed save. the goals i score were from a header crossed in. and the other was a finesse from the edge of the box (FIFA14 style!)

    i ended up losing 3-2 in extra time, my opponent had a player sent off and then scored two goals from corners almost immediately afterward.... but that's another subject ;)
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    stupot wrote: »
    maybe the way to go is not to finesse then?
    1v1 it always works into the bottom corner like someone said above,

    to clarify i play with lots of possesion taking my time with the mindset that a chance will eventually come, i'm not one of these players who shoots from just about anywhere!

    my last game after posting was 14 shots 9 on target, but a lot of them were me trying to finesse it into the corner from the angle and the keeper making a one handed save. the goals i score were from a header crossed in. and the other was a finesse from the edge of the box (FIFA14 style!)

    i ended up losing 3-2 in extra time, my opponent had a player sent off and then scored two goals from corners almost immediately afterward.... but that's another subject ;)

    I tend to use strong strikers with good shot power, and Hawk chem, so the finesse button doesn't really help much. Just hammer it across the keeper.
  • stupot
    43 posts Park Captain
    was better this game, 12 shots, 8 on target, scored 2, won 2-0
    no finesse in any of my shots,
    i'll keep plugging away
  • IffyMoney
    4027 posts National Call-Up
    You have too much possession imo.
  • stupot
    43 posts Park Captain
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    You have too much possession imo.

    what difference would that make?
  • IffyMoney
    4027 posts National Call-Up
    stupot wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    You have too much possession imo.

    what difference would that make?


    Most players compensate for their inability to finish, as well as defend, by keeping hold of the ball more.

    I score 1-2 open goals in division 1 per match, mainly on the counter.
  • OfficerJimlahey
    1902 posts Fans' Favourite
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    stupot wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    You have too much possession imo.

    what difference would that make?


    Most players compensate for their inability to finish, as well as defend, by keeping hold of the ball more.

    I score 1-2 open goals in division 1 per match, mainly on the counter.

    The more dominant and most competent players hold possession. Playing on the counter is for people that accept that they are the weaker player. Telling someone to not have so much possession is insane advice, basically telling him to be on the back foot more and try to sweat some goals out.

  • IffyMoney
    4027 posts National Call-Up
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    stupot wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    You have too much possession imo.

    what difference would that make?


    Most players compensate for their inability to finish, as well as defend, by keeping hold of the ball more.

    I score 1-2 open goals in division 1 per match, mainly on the counter.

    The more dominant and most competent players hold possession. Playing on the counter is for people that accept that they are the weaker player. Telling someone to not have so much possession is insane advice, basically telling him to be on the back foot more and try to sweat some goals out.


    The best players in the world dont play possession.


    You need to be able to both combine aspects of possession play, with direct play when needed.


    Top players don't 'hold possession', they do what it takes to win the game.
  • stupot
    43 posts Park Captain
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    stupot wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    You have too much possession imo.

    what difference would that make?


    Most players compensate for their inability to finish, as well as defend, by keeping hold of the ball more.

    I score 1-2 open goals in division 1 per match, mainly on the counter.

    oh?
    i can defend very well, in fact i think i'v only conceded 4 goals in my last 8 games and 3 of those were in one game!
    what i have found though is the higher i get in divisions the player i tend to meet the most is the one who knows how best to exploit the game mechanics.
    there's no room for 'playing beautiful' in any of the last 7 releases unfortunately
  • stupot
    43 posts Park Captain
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    stupot wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    You have too much possession imo.

    what difference would that make?


    Most players compensate for their inability to finish, as well as defend, by keeping hold of the ball more.

    I score 1-2 open goals in division 1 per match, mainly on the counter.

    The more dominant and most competent players hold possession. Playing on the counter is for people that accept that they are the weaker player. Telling someone to not have so much possession is insane advice, basically telling him to be on the back foot more and try to sweat some goals out.


    The best players in the world dont play possession.


    You need to be able to both combine aspects of possession play, with direct play when needed.


    Top players don't 'hold possession', they do what it takes to win the game.

    and then there are others who want to play a proper football sim

  • Kloral
    4313 posts National Call-Up
    I am in exactly the same boat. Nearly every game is the same, 60% possession to me with 10 shots on target to 2-3 and I either lose or win by 1. Then again everyone sees my team and goes ultra d.
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    stupot wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    You have too much possession imo.

    what difference would that make?


    Most players compensate for their inability to finish, as well as defend, by keeping hold of the ball more.

    I score 1-2 open goals in division 1 per match, mainly on the counter.

    The more dominant and most competent players hold possession. Playing on the counter is for people that accept that they are the weaker player. Telling someone to not have so much possession is insane advice, basically telling him to be on the back foot more and try to sweat some goals out.

    That's not true at all. It's not true in Fifa just as it isn't in real football. As the man above said, a lot of the best Fifa players just defend strongly and attack directly when their opponent is vulnerable.
  • OfficerJimlahey
    1902 posts Fans' Favourite
    Orikoru wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    stupot wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    You have too much possession imo.

    what difference would that make?


    Most players compensate for their inability to finish, as well as defend, by keeping hold of the ball more.

    I score 1-2 open goals in division 1 per match, mainly on the counter.

    The more dominant and most competent players hold possession. Playing on the counter is for people that accept that they are the weaker player. Telling someone to not have so much possession is insane advice, basically telling him to be on the back foot more and try to sweat some goals out.

    That's not true at all. It's not true in Fifa just as it isn't in real football. As the man above said, a lot of the best Fifa players just defend strongly and attack directly when their opponent is vulnerable.

    It is true, especially in the real world. If Man u were playing burnley (two typically counter attacking sides, one at the top one at the bottom) Would you expect man u to soak up all the pressure? Obviously not, they are the better team and would be in the ascendency. Burnley would concede possession because united would have too much for them, they would accept they are the weaker team, try to frustrate them and try to nick something on the break.


  • IffyMoney
    4027 posts National Call-Up
    Orikoru wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    stupot wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    You have too much possession imo.

    what difference would that make?


    Most players compensate for their inability to finish, as well as defend, by keeping hold of the ball more.

    I score 1-2 open goals in division 1 per match, mainly on the counter.

    The more dominant and most competent players hold possession. Playing on the counter is for people that accept that they are the weaker player. Telling someone to not have so much possession is insane advice, basically telling him to be on the back foot more and try to sweat some goals out.

    That's not true at all. It's not true in Fifa just as it isn't in real football. As the man above said, a lot of the best Fifa players just defend strongly and attack directly when their opponent is vulnerable.


    Wish these people could differentiate between whether they want to win or play beautiful.

    Both are possible of course.


  • IffyMoney
    4027 posts National Call-Up
    Orikoru wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    stupot wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    You have too much possession imo.

    what difference would that make?


    Most players compensate for their inability to finish, as well as defend, by keeping hold of the ball more.

    I score 1-2 open goals in division 1 per match, mainly on the counter.

    The more dominant and most competent players hold possession. Playing on the counter is for people that accept that they are the weaker player. Telling someone to not have so much possession is insane advice, basically telling him to be on the back foot more and try to sweat some goals out.

    That's not true at all. It's not true in Fifa just as it isn't in real football. As the man above said, a lot of the best Fifa players just defend strongly and attack directly when their opponent is vulnerable.

    It is true, especially in the real world. If Man u were playing burnley (two typically counter attacking sides, one at the top one at the bottom) Would you expect man u to soak up all the pressure? Obviously not, they are the better team and would be in the ascendency. Burnley would concede possession because united would have too much for them, they would accept they are the weaker team, try to frustrate them and try to nick something on the break.


    So because I finished 70th last week....should I play every game this week-end ultra attacking because I should have 'too much for them'?
  • OfficerJimlahey
    1902 posts Fans' Favourite
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Orikoru wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    stupot wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    You have too much possession imo.

    what difference would that make?


    Most players compensate for their inability to finish, as well as defend, by keeping hold of the ball more.

    I score 1-2 open goals in division 1 per match, mainly on the counter.

    The more dominant and most competent players hold possession. Playing on the counter is for people that accept that they are the weaker player. Telling someone to not have so much possession is insane advice, basically telling him to be on the back foot more and try to sweat some goals out.

    That's not true at all. It's not true in Fifa just as it isn't in real football. As the man above said, a lot of the best Fifa players just defend strongly and attack directly when their opponent is vulnerable.

    It is true, especially in the real world. If Man u were playing burnley (two typically counter attacking sides, one at the top one at the bottom) Would you expect man u to soak up all the pressure? Obviously not, they are the better team and would be in the ascendency. Burnley would concede possession because united would have too much for them, they would accept they are the weaker team, try to frustrate them and try to nick something on the break.


    So because I finished 70th last week....should I play every game this week-end ultra attacking because I should have 'too much for them'?

    That's a bit of a jump, don't you think? There should be no need to set out to counter if you are good, unless of course you are using the mechanics to your advantage, regardless of your actual philosophy towards football. But I wouldn't like to go throwing wild accusations around
  • IffyMoney
    4027 posts National Call-Up
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Orikoru wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    stupot wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    You have too much possession imo.

    what difference would that make?


    Most players compensate for their inability to finish, as well as defend, by keeping hold of the ball more.

    I score 1-2 open goals in division 1 per match, mainly on the counter.

    The more dominant and most competent players hold possession. Playing on the counter is for people that accept that they are the weaker player. Telling someone to not have so much possession is insane advice, basically telling him to be on the back foot more and try to sweat some goals out.

    That's not true at all. It's not true in Fifa just as it isn't in real football. As the man above said, a lot of the best Fifa players just defend strongly and attack directly when their opponent is vulnerable.

    It is true, especially in the real world. If Man u were playing burnley (two typically counter attacking sides, one at the top one at the bottom) Would you expect man u to soak up all the pressure? Obviously not, they are the better team and would be in the ascendency. Burnley would concede possession because united would have too much for them, they would accept they are the weaker team, try to frustrate them and try to nick something on the break.


    So because I finished 70th last week....should I play every game this week-end ultra attacking because I should have 'too much for them'?

    That's a bit of a jump, don't you think? There should be no need to set out to counter if you are good, unless of course you are using the mechanics to your advantage, regardless of your actual philosophy towards football. But I wouldn't like to go throwing wild accusations around


    I don't set out to 'counter'.


    The reason I win games is because i don't set out to play 'possession' or play 'on the counter', i set out to adapt to my opponents strengths and weaknesses.
  • OfficerJimlahey
    1902 posts Fans' Favourite
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Orikoru wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    stupot wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    You have too much possession imo.

    what difference would that make?


    Most players compensate for their inability to finish, as well as defend, by keeping hold of the ball more.

    I score 1-2 open goals in division 1 per match, mainly on the counter.

    The more dominant and most competent players hold possession. Playing on the counter is for people that accept that they are the weaker player. Telling someone to not have so much possession is insane advice, basically telling him to be on the back foot more and try to sweat some goals out.

    That's not true at all. It's not true in Fifa just as it isn't in real football. As the man above said, a lot of the best Fifa players just defend strongly and attack directly when their opponent is vulnerable.

    It is true, especially in the real world. If Man u were playing burnley (two typically counter attacking sides, one at the top one at the bottom) Would you expect man u to soak up all the pressure? Obviously not, they are the better team and would be in the ascendency. Burnley would concede possession because united would have too much for them, they would accept they are the weaker team, try to frustrate them and try to nick something on the break.


    So because I finished 70th last week....should I play every game this week-end ultra attacking because I should have 'too much for them'?

    That's a bit of a jump, don't you think? There should be no need to set out to counter if you are good, unless of course you are using the mechanics to your advantage, regardless of your actual philosophy towards football. But I wouldn't like to go throwing wild accusations around


    I don't set out to 'counter'.


    The reason I win games is because i don't set out to play 'possession' or play 'on the counter', i set out to adapt to my opponents strengths and weaknesses.

    So why was your original reply 'you are having too much possession'. His problem is obviously finishing, and its also impossible to give that advice without seeing his matches. I still stand by my point that advising someone to concede possession is mental, unless you have learned to abuse the game
  • IffyMoney
    4027 posts National Call-Up
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Orikoru wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    stupot wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    You have too much possession imo.

    what difference would that make?


    Most players compensate for their inability to finish, as well as defend, by keeping hold of the ball more.

    I score 1-2 open goals in division 1 per match, mainly on the counter.

    The more dominant and most competent players hold possession. Playing on the counter is for people that accept that they are the weaker player. Telling someone to not have so much possession is insane advice, basically telling him to be on the back foot more and try to sweat some goals out.

    That's not true at all. It's not true in Fifa just as it isn't in real football. As the man above said, a lot of the best Fifa players just defend strongly and attack directly when their opponent is vulnerable.

    It is true, especially in the real world. If Man u were playing burnley (two typically counter attacking sides, one at the top one at the bottom) Would you expect man u to soak up all the pressure? Obviously not, they are the better team and would be in the ascendency. Burnley would concede possession because united would have too much for them, they would accept they are the weaker team, try to frustrate them and try to nick something on the break.


    So because I finished 70th last week....should I play every game this week-end ultra attacking because I should have 'too much for them'?

    That's a bit of a jump, don't you think? There should be no need to set out to counter if you are good, unless of course you are using the mechanics to your advantage, regardless of your actual philosophy towards football. But I wouldn't like to go throwing wild accusations around


    I don't set out to 'counter'.


    The reason I win games is because i don't set out to play 'possession' or play 'on the counter', i set out to adapt to my opponents strengths and weaknesses.

    So why was your original reply 'you are having too much possession'. His problem is obviously finishing, and its also impossible to give that advice without seeing his matches. I still stand by my point that advising someone to concede possession is mental, unless you have learned to abuse the game

    I would argue that ignoring a guy who finished in the top100 over someone who didn't is 'mental'.


    His problem clearly is 'finishing'. But everyone can finish open goals...
  • OfficerJimlahey
    1902 posts Fans' Favourite
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Orikoru wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    stupot wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    You have too much possession imo.

    what difference would that make?


    Most players compensate for their inability to finish, as well as defend, by keeping hold of the ball more.

    I score 1-2 open goals in division 1 per match, mainly on the counter.

    The more dominant and most competent players hold possession. Playing on the counter is for people that accept that they are the weaker player. Telling someone to not have so much possession is insane advice, basically telling him to be on the back foot more and try to sweat some goals out.

    That's not true at all. It's not true in Fifa just as it isn't in real football. As the man above said, a lot of the best Fifa players just defend strongly and attack directly when their opponent is vulnerable.

    It is true, especially in the real world. If Man u were playing burnley (two typically counter attacking sides, one at the top one at the bottom) Would you expect man u to soak up all the pressure? Obviously not, they are the better team and would be in the ascendency. Burnley would concede possession because united would have too much for them, they would accept they are the weaker team, try to frustrate them and try to nick something on the break.


    So because I finished 70th last week....should I play every game this week-end ultra attacking because I should have 'too much for them'?

    That's a bit of a jump, don't you think? There should be no need to set out to counter if you are good, unless of course you are using the mechanics to your advantage, regardless of your actual philosophy towards football. But I wouldn't like to go throwing wild accusations around


    I don't set out to 'counter'.


    The reason I win games is because i don't set out to play 'possession' or play 'on the counter', i set out to adapt to my opponents strengths and weaknesses.

    So why was your original reply 'you are having too much possession'. His problem is obviously finishing, and its also impossible to give that advice without seeing his matches. I still stand by my point that advising someone to concede possession is mental, unless you have learned to abuse the game

    I would argue that ignoring a guy who finished in the top100 over someone who didn't is 'mental'.


    His problem clearly is 'finishing'. But everyone can finish open goals...

    Again, you must be abusing the mechanics. I don't doubt you are good at fifa but I do doubt your football knowledge.

    Imagine you are top of your sunday league with loads of good players in the team, you play bottom of the league. Your manager would obviously tell you to smother the opposition, keep them penned in and don't let them out, squeeze the defence up to the half way line and suffocate them. That's what the positive team does.

    If he said, make sure you don't have too much possession lads, what do you think the players would think?

  • IffyMoney
    4027 posts National Call-Up
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Orikoru wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    stupot wrote: »
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    You have too much possession imo.

    what difference would that make?


    Most players compensate for their inability to finish, as well as defend, by keeping hold of the ball more.

    I score 1-2 open goals in division 1 per match, mainly on the counter.

    The more dominant and most competent players hold possession. Playing on the counter is for people that accept that they are the weaker player. Telling someone to not have so much possession is insane advice, basically telling him to be on the back foot more and try to sweat some goals out.

    That's not true at all. It's not true in Fifa just as it isn't in real football. As the man above said, a lot of the best Fifa players just defend strongly and attack directly when their opponent is vulnerable.

    It is true, especially in the real world. If Man u were playing burnley (two typically counter attacking sides, one at the top one at the bottom) Would you expect man u to soak up all the pressure? Obviously not, they are the better team and would be in the ascendency. Burnley would concede possession because united would have too much for them, they would accept they are the weaker team, try to frustrate them and try to nick something on the break.


    So because I finished 70th last week....should I play every game this week-end ultra attacking because I should have 'too much for them'?

    That's a bit of a jump, don't you think? There should be no need to set out to counter if you are good, unless of course you are using the mechanics to your advantage, regardless of your actual philosophy towards football. But I wouldn't like to go throwing wild accusations around


    I don't set out to 'counter'.


    The reason I win games is because i don't set out to play 'possession' or play 'on the counter', i set out to adapt to my opponents strengths and weaknesses.

    So why was your original reply 'you are having too much possession'. His problem is obviously finishing, and its also impossible to give that advice without seeing his matches. I still stand by my point that advising someone to concede possession is mental, unless you have learned to abuse the game

    I would argue that ignoring a guy who finished in the top100 over someone who didn't is 'mental'.


    His problem clearly is 'finishing'. But everyone can finish open goals...

    Again, you must be abusing the mechanics. I don't doubt you are good at fifa but I do doubt your football knowledge.

    Imagine you are top of your sunday league with loads of good players in the team, you play bottom of the league. Your manager would obviously tell you to smother the opposition, keep them penned in and don't let them out, squeeze the defence up to the half way line and suffocate them. That's what the positive team does.

    If he said, make sure you don't have too much possession lads, what do you think the players would think?

    Doubt my footballing knowledge lol.


    Your sunday league comparison is funny tbh.
  • vfc
    281 posts Sunday League Hero
    Any of the supposed positively dominating possession style players care to share a game clip or two showing off their domination skills?
  • silverdale10
    1528 posts Play-Off Hero
    I consistently have more possession but have lost twice as many as I've won. Usually my opponent has more shots than me but then I'm reluctant to shoot unless I have a genuinely good chance of scoring, whereas a lot of people seem to shoot from anywhere. Stats don't tell the whole story.

    I've recently switched to 4-3-3(4), I guess the next step is to go on ultimate attack from the off, rather than only use it if I go behind, maybe then I'll win more games. If I ever get high enough up the divs, I guess I'll then have to think about going counter attack and ptb, if I want to stay there.
  • Gladiaattori1500
    539 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I also seem to struggle with finishing after the patch
Sign In or Register to comment.