Can't work out why my team doesn't work.

DobbyDooDah
5697 posts Big Money Move
Here's the team:

554BEA53-C9C8-491D-B7EB-CB18C1F120C4.png

I'm really struggling to create any chances and defensively I'm getting torn apart. I feel I need to change the formation, so who do I sell and to what formation?

Thinking I should go back to 4-4-1-1 with this XI and get some reliable wide players.

Comments

• DobbyDooDah
    Ignore the concept player, I've played 12 games with the team now :lol:
  • Bowden92
    6072 posts Big Money Move
    I'd go 433 mate, 41212 is too narrow imo
  • Antparry92
    17025 posts World Class
    Cause 4-1-2-1-2 (2). Central formations are dire this year
  • Recardo
    9094 posts League Winner
    your cdm has high high. change to medium high or low high.

your CB's should have at least one medium/high or low/high.
  • DobbyDooDah
    edited October 2016
    Your comments have been taken on board.

Kante's going, as is Evra. Switching formation and getting some wide play and a CDM to sit in there. I have Lucas anyway, just need a left side and I'm done.

I see people with teams similar and they work great but it's not working for me.

• SurferDude
    1756 posts Fans' Favourite
    Try 5212 - team press, ultra attacking - front 2 stay central get in behind - cam stay forward
  • BU11ET
    1184 posts Professional
    That formation is more of a build up style of play which I prefer, most people go with 433 (4) because it's easy to spam the ball to the wingers and sprint down the line. I'd suggest going with the normall 41212 which is brilliant this year especially when most games you come up against are variations on 433 so it helps when your left/right mids are covering that area aswell as your fallbacks.

Also once you master the triangle passing with your cam and two strikers you will notice you create a hell of a lot of chances, just make sure your cam is a play maker. Hope that helps bud
  • DobbyDooDah
    BU11ET wrote: »
    That formation is more of a build up style of play which I prefer, most people go with 433 (4) because it's easy to spam the ball to the wingers and sprint down the line. I'd suggest going with the normall 41212 which is brilliant this year especially when most games you come up against are variations on 433 so it helps when your left/right mids are covering that area aswell as your fallbacks.

Also once you master the triangle passing with your cam and two strikers you will notice you create a hell of a lot of chances, just make sure your cam is a play maker. Hope that helps bud

I'm a possession player for sure, I'm good at keeping the ball. Problem I find with this formation is the lack of options when I do get the ball.

Think the wide variation might be decent with these players tbf, I've used it with a sweaty Brazil team and it was good, better players and I could be onto a winner in the weekend league.
  • Antparry92
    17025 posts World Class
    Honestly bud, try out 3-5-2/5-2-1-2 and don't look back haha
  • DobbyDooDah
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    Honestly bud, try out 3-5-2/5-2-1-2 and don't look back haha

:lol:

I had 3 at the back in draft and got tore. 3-5-2 appears solid and has been one of my better formations on previous Fifas. I like full backs on this one though.
  • Antparry92
    17025 posts World Class
    I only went 5-2-1-2 this year after doing the guide for it on 16 last year and it seems even better this year. For most though it takes a bit of time to get use to. Think I'm just used to playing it IRL that's why haha
  • Recardo
    9094 posts League Winner
    for the narrow formations i think passing is key. i would be tempted to try pastore at CAM and maybe bring moutinho in at CM

this would bump your passing up and provide a little more defense in the midfield.
  • iflynno
    928 posts Semi-Pro
    Its the user.
  • Antparry92
    17025 posts World Class
    Recardo wrote: »
    for the narrow formations i think passing is key. i would be tempted to try pastore at CAM and maybe bring moutinho in at CM

this would bump your passing up and provide a little more defense in the midfield.

I just find the narrow formations are clustered and it's pointless passing in to a crowd where most people high pressure anyway. With a bit of width it opens the pitch out more and it then gives you that space in the middle to play with
  • Gabbalala
    2800 posts Fans' Favourite
    352 all the way! Amazing how the LM and RM just seem to be in the perfect position every time!
  • DobbyDooDah
    iflynno wrote: »
    Its the user.

:lol: come at me.
    Antparry92 wrote: »
    Recardo wrote: »

I just find the narrow formations are clustered and it's pointless passing in to a crowd where most people high pressure anyway. With a bit of width it opens the pitch out more and it then gives you that space in the middle to play with

That's what I've found basically. I come up against it and they seem to dominate, plus the pros use it to good effect.

Worth a try as it was good last year.

• '96dc2
    8979 posts League Winner
    No height in your midfield.
  • DirtyDishFC
    11023 posts Moderator
    You need more strength up front if you are gonna play narrow.
  • Williejno1
    3079 posts National Call-Up
    Have u got your team tested for eaids seems to be quite common this year lol
  • IffyMoney
    4027 posts National Call-Up
    Don't believe those who say narrow formations are dire, all I use and face in Division 1.

That team could compete in division 1.

But that would depend on...

- your ability
    - your playstyle
    - your CT's
    - your Instructions
  • EBaietto
    1020 posts Professional
    BU11ET wrote: »

I'm a possession player for sure, I'm good at keeping the ball. Problem I find with this formation is the lack of options when I do get the ball.

Think the wide variation might be decent with these players tbf, I've used it with a sweaty Brazil team and it was good, better players and I could be onto a winner in the weekend league.

I think for this game, wide play is much better for possession sake. But then again every player is different. I use the 4-3-3 with my middle CM as Low/High. I've found the most success with that.
  • Astro_Ry
    1217 posts Professional
    Formation is fine, went 23-7 last weekend using this (I always run out of time from only having ~10 hours of time a week with the game, which is plenty actually).

Problem could be workrates, which is why I don't use Ibra in this. Here's what I look for:

ST : H/M or H/L
    CAM: H/M OR H/L
    CM: H/H & M/H or H/M & H/M
    CDM: M/H

It's hard to find a fullback I want to use that isn't H/M so take your pick.

Also, CT (not complete):

Something like 70-80 build up speed.

Organized for triangles and no CB bombing.

Lower pressure and use cover.

• IffyMoney
    4027 posts National Call-Up
    Astro_Ry wrote: »
    Formation is fine, went 23-7 last weekend using this (I always run out of time from only having ~10 hours of time a week with the game, which is plenty actually).

Problem could be workrates, which is why I don't use Ibra in this. Here's what I look for:

Also, CT (not complete):

Both on organised?
  • Astro_Ry
    1217 posts Professional
    IffyMoney wrote: »
    Astro_Ry wrote: »

Also, CT (not complete):

Both on organised?

Organized
    Free form
    Organized

Sorry, on phone.
  • DobbyDooDah
    Not on console, can't remember exact CTs. Passing and build up speed is around the 80 mark and team width 50 for the formation in the OP.

I'm not an amazing player, my seasons record is something like 40-10-15. Weekend league reaching Gold 1 playing all 40.

With the team in OP I had only a few wins from 12 games hence the thread hoping for some input on the formation having not used it this year.

@Astro_Ry the only workrate problem seems to be Matuidi on the face of it, but he's on stay back, man mark and does it well in game. Would appreciate the CTs you would use in this formation.

• Astro_Ry
    1217 posts Professional
    Not on console, can't remember exact CTs. Passing and build up speed is around the 80 mark and team width 50 for the formation in the OP.

I'm not an amazing player, my seasons record is something like 40-10-15. Weekend league reaching Gold 1 playing all 40.

With the team in OP I had only a few wins from 12 games hence the thread hoping for some input on the formation having not used it this year.

@Astro_Ry the only workrate problem seems to be Matuidi on the face of it, but he's on stay back, man mark and does it well in game. Would appreciate the CTs you would use in this formation.

I've used Matuidi there as well, and havent had any problems with those same instructions. I wish I wasn't in Statics (Engineering 220) or I'd log in and tell you what I use exactly. What I can tell you right now is that I used HugeGorilla's CT as a baseline and adjusted them to my liking, which is one reason I didn't give specifics because as many CTs I've tried from others, making my own adjustments to suit me always works better.

Also, you can find a video about his CTs and instructions on YouTube by typing in HugeGorilla.
  • DobbyDooDah
    Thanks. Huge Gorilla I'm aware of, I should watch a vid or too as he's been recommended.