Does Team Chemistry Mean Bugger All?

Orikoru
10712 posts Has That Special Something
Now, I'm not normally one to moan, so I'm trying to present this as more a discussion provoker. It's not a rage thread, since it happened last night so I'm over it, I was just taken aback I suppose.

For reference, I was using my false nine team (http://www.futhead.com/15/squads/31167023/) and I got matched against this team: http://www.futhead.com/15/squads/31998737/
With manager/loyalty and what-have-you, he had 75 team chemistry. At various points in the match he brought those three subs on for Reus, Mata and Benzema and ended up with Sturridge at RCM.

I lost the game 3-2, so it was fairly close, but I even struggled for my 2 goals - his entire team was flying around the pitch like Ferrari tanks, and his method of attack was to mash the pass button cluelessly, but he still achieved nearly 80% pass success with this.

I thought a low team chemistry was supposed to offer some kind of hindrance to your team's performance? Can anyone clarify what team chemistry actually does?? I understand the player chemistry, and how full chem just means more boosts to stats, as decided by the chem style - but I admit I still have no clue about team chemistry. On the basis of this, team chem means naff all, and as long as you ensure 5 individual chem for each player that's all you need? Why does it even tell you the team chem if it does nothing?

Comments

• FC Intl
    4394 posts National Call-Up
    edited May 2015
    This has been answered

http://www.reddit.com/r/FIFA/comments/30ae66/10_questions_ask_and_you_shall_receive_playboys

7. Could you tell us exactly how chem styles and overall chemistry affect our players? What does playing on 4 chem vs 7 chem vs 10 chem look like from a programmers point of view? What does a Hunter card look like from a programmers point of view? We can see what it says on the screen, but what is it actually doing behind the scenes. by /u/afrank86

A: It’s hard to easily explain without going technical details, but here goes. The general principle of player chemistry is this: if a player has less than 5 Chem, they will perform worse than their base attributes. If a player has greater than 5 Chem, then they will perform better than their base attributes. A Chemistry Style then amplifies the nature of that improved performance for the base attributes it affects. So each chemistry style is mapped to a set of systems that affect the player, and then we use the chemistry number to determine how they fall within the range of “less effective” to “more effective”. Team chemistry also affects every player slightly, but not nearly as much as individual chemistry.
  • Rich
    181 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    It needs to have a bigger influence playing wingers as 7 chem strikers shouldnt play as well as it does
  • Orikoru
    FC Intl wrote: »
    This has been answered

http://www.reddit.com/r/FIFA/comments/30ae66/10_questions_ask_and_you_shall_receive_playboys

7. Could you tell us exactly how chem styles and overall chemistry affect our players? What does playing on 4 chem vs 7 chem vs 10 chem look like from a programmers point of view? What does a Hunter card look like from a programmers point of view? We can see what it says on the screen, but what is it actually doing behind the scenes. by /u/afrank86

A: It’s hard to easily explain without going technical details, but here goes. The general principle of player chemistry is this: if a player has less than 5 Chem, they will perform worse than their base attributes. If a player has greater than 5 Chem, then they will perform better than their base attributes. A Chemistry Style then amplifies the nature of that improved performance for the base attributes it affects. So each chemistry style is mapped to a set of systems that affect the player, and then we use the chemistry number to determine how they fall within the range of “less effective” to “more effective”. Team chemistry also affects every player slightly, but not nearly as much as individual chemistry.

"Team chemistry also affects every player slightly, but not nearly as much as individual chemistry."

That is literally all it says about team chem. That is maybe the most vague sentence I've ever read. That doesn't answer my question at all. If anything it just reinforces my theory that team chem is mostly irrelevant.
  • FC Intl
    edited May 2015
    Post edited by FC Intl on
  • Orikoru
    edited May 2015
    Orikoru wrote: »
    This has been answered

"Team chemistry also affects every player slightly, but not nearly as much as individual chemistry."

That is literally all it says about team chem. That is maybe the most vague sentence I've ever read. That doesn't answer my question at all. If anything it just reinforces my theory that team chem is mostly irrelevant.

Wow. I'm actually surprised at your lack of appreciation. That was the official answer on chemistry, so thats what I gave you. Its not me saying it. This was also released as a statement from EA just after the price ranges (me and some other people on reddit put the questions together and chuboi went around and got approval and answers). You're not going to get more than that, and it tells you plainly which chem matters.

Next time I won't waste 30 seconds on you getting a link.

lol, sorry mate, I appreciate you going and seeking an answer from an official source for me, I didn't mean it to seem like I didn't. Thanks.

Based on the text though, you have to agree it doesn't answer my question? (Their fault, not yours :wink: ) Was wondering if anyone else could shed any light on it.
  • BackDaddy
    3259 posts National Call-Up
    I don't think he is complaining about the effort, more the statement "this has been answered" followed with the statement that doesn't answer it
  • FC Intl
    edited May 2015
  • FC Intl
    This has been answered

Wow. I'm actually surprised at your lack of appreciation. That was the official answer on chemistry, so thats what I gave you. Its not me saying it. This was also released as a statement from EA just after the price ranges (me and some other people on reddit put the questions together and chuboi went around and got approval and answers). You're not going to get more than that, and it tells you plainly which chem matters.

Next time I won't waste 30 seconds on you getting a link.

lol, sorry mate, I appreciate you going and seeking an answer from an official source for me, I didn't mean it to seem like I didn't. Thanks.

Based on the text though, you have to agree it doesn't answer my question? (Their fault, not yours :wink: ) Was wondering if anyone else could shed any light on it.

NP, just misunderstood.

There really isn't going to be more light shed on it, at least not factual, because thats what was approved to be said. People might tell you what they think about it, but that answer above is what you'll get from EA.
  • Rumplefish
    18748 posts World Class
    Basically playing all your players on 5-6 chem means that they will play like they would without FUT stats boost. So if a player has 70 short passing, he would have 70 passing and not ~75 like a player with chemistry boost (75 is just an estimation, nothing confirmed).

You also need to take into consideration that it's all random, the difference between 80 passing and 70 passing is almost unnoticeable. There are also different factors that come into effect, like in-game momentum, mentality, luck and just a player "having a good day" like IRL. Most of these factors aren't official but I think this is what causes this "randomness" effect in FIFA.

I think the whole chemistry system need to change and be more effective. Why make us think team chemistry matters so much if it doesn't have significant difference in-game?

• Antiversum
    5763 posts Big Money Move
    Well, teamchem is a bit curios because it is calculated out of player chem. You can't get a higher teamchem without increasing the individual chem.

A few months ago there was a "case study" in the german forums. The idea was, that the code of FIFA has problems to determine and interprete the form of a high-rated player correctly if he has fullchem but the overall team consists out ob silver and nonrares with a teamchem of 63 (63 was found out the best). That would lead to highly overpowered strikers (gaining too much push from chem) but defense work would be harder.

Didn't tried it out but several people said that their striker were op as hell. Obviuosly there is no statistical evaluation of it so one can believe it or not but I wouldn't be surprised if FIFA lacks of decent programming of it.
  • BackDaddy
    BackDaddy wrote: »
    I don't think he is complaining about the effort, more the statement "this has been answered" followed with the statement that doesn't answer it

That is the answer on chemistry, thats what EA will say. It also stated that team chem matters slightly, but not nearly as much as individual. That gives the general idea. Team chem doesn't mean much.

I'm not saying you have to love the answer, I'm saying thats the answer that was given, thats the answer that was approved. EA isn't going to give a rundown of how exactly it works behind the scenes.

Sorry just backing up @Orikoru coz of his avatar lol
  • FC Intl

That is the answer on chemistry, thats what EA will say. It also stated that team chem matters slightly, but not nearly as much as individual. That gives the general idea. Team chem doesn't mean much.

I'm not saying you have to love the answer, I'm saying thats the answer that was given, thats the answer that was approved. EA isn't going to give a rundown of how exactly it works behind the scenes.

Nothing to be sorry about man ;)
  • Orikoru

My plan is that people subconsciously read my posts in Matt Berry/Steven Toast's voice in their minds. :lol:
  • Orikoru
    Where is LiquidTensionz? He used to be the authority on all things chemistry related. :smiley:
  • Jmcgraghan
    1072 posts Professional
    Chemistry itself means absolutely nothing, hence why 5 chem Ronaldo still runs through everyone with ease.
  • TheonlywayisS6
    1934 posts Play-Off Hero
    Almost without fail, when my 100 chem team is up against a side with about 70 chem, absolutely nothing goes right for me, my players can't make basic runs and passes and the game favours the lower chem team.

But we're not allowed to talk about that, because "apparently" it doesn't exist.
  • Orikoru
    edited May 2015
    Almost without fail, when my 100 chem team is up against a side with about 70 chem, absolutely nothing goes right for me, my players can't make basic runs and passes and the game favours the lower chem team.

But we're not allowed to talk about that, because "apparently" it doesn't exist.

Cut that out man, I don't want my topic locked, lol.

I am coming round to the idea though that team chemistry is nothing except a visual thing on the screen. Has literally no effect on the team. Up until now I always tried to ensure 100 team chem because I thought it did something, but from now on I really don't think I'll worry about it. As long as all my players are on at least 6 chem it's fine. Really is an eye-opener when it comes to making teams.

The problem is the slight OCD I have when squad building - I kinda feel like I haven't tried that hard if I don't even get 100 team chem.
  • ChrisLFC
    7033 posts Big Money Move
    edited May 2015
    I played some guy for the Div 2 title on my pack only account. He had 80ish chem. Walcott and Ibarbo (RW) as strikers and young at RM. I destroyed him 5-1 and he ended up rage quitting after 3 straight reds.
  • BackDaddy
    edited May 2015

My plan is that people subconsciously read my posts in Matt Berry/Steven Toast's voice in their minds. :lol:

Eeeeeyeaaasssss!

Edit: I wasn't reading them like that but I am now
  • Jfo88
    22598 posts Club Captain
    Pretty sure players just get less of a boost but if you have players with amazing stats already a boost really isn't necessary
  • Orikoru
    ChrisLFC wrote: »
    I played some guy for the Div 2 title on my pack only account. He had 80ish chem. Walcott and Ibarbo (RW) as strikers and young at RM. I destroyed him 5-1 and he ended up rage quitting after 3 straight reds.
    Three reds, christ! Not sure you can blame chemistry or lack of it for that.

Eeeeeyeaaasssss!

Edit: I wasn't reading them like that but I am now

Am also reading yours in 'the moon' voice. :tongue:
  • BackDaddy
    I think at the end of the day an 80 rated player for example on 4chem will still play better than a 78 rated player on 10chem. I don't think the boosts are significant enough to matter... That being said I refuse to play with less than 9chem lol
  • Orikoru
    I think at the end of the day an 80 rated player for example on 4chem will still play better than a 78 rated player on 10chem. I don't think the boosts are significant enough to matter... That being said I refuse to play with less than 9chem lol

I used to be like that on the last couple of games - everyone had to be full chem. On this game I've been learning a lot, relax my OCD more. A great player on 8 chem is always going to be better than a half decent one on full.

As I said though, I still go for 100 team chem, or it feels like I've not tried.
  • hayhor1
    14219 posts Has That Special Something
    Rumplefish wrote: »
    Basically playing all your players on 5-6 chem means that they will play like they would without FUT stats boost. So if a player has 70 short passing, he would have 70 passing and not ~75 like a player with chemistry boost (75 is just an estimation, nothing confirmed).

You also need to take into consideration that it's all random, the difference between 80 passing and 70 passing is almost unnoticeable. There are also different factors that come into effect, like in-game momentum, mentality, luck and just a player "having a good day" like IRL. Most of these factors aren't official but I think this is what causes this "randomness" effect in FIFA.

I think the whole chemistry system need to change and be more effective. Why make us think team chemistry matters so much if it doesn't have significant difference in-game?

What this guy mentions about the stats is true. Last year I used IF Huntelaar at CF in false 9 and got rippes but his 72 short passing stat was good enough and there was no noticable drop off from someone with 80.

• In-game chemistry is a weighted average of individual and team chemistry. The weighting is ~75/25% respectively.

For example, a player with 10 individual/100 team chemistry will play on higher stats than the same player on 10 individual/40 team chemistry.
  • Orikoru
    LT wrote: »
    In-game chemistry is a weighted average of individual and team chemistry. The weighting is ~75/25% respectively.

For example, a player with 10 individual/100 team chemistry will play on higher stats than the same player on 10 individual/40 team chemistry.

There you are! I was trying to tag you with the @ thing but I didn't know you weren't using LiquidTensionz anymore (unless you are someone else and LT is a coincidence :lol: )

Ok, so it does make some difference, but it can't be much at all. And I know you can't confirm or deny how much it is, I'm just thinking aloud really.
  • Orikoru wrote: »
    In-game chemistry is a weighted average of individual and team chemistry. The weighting is ~75/25% respectively.

There you are! I was trying to tag you with the @ thing but I didn't know you weren't using LiquidTensionz anymore (unless you are someone else and LT is a coincidence :lol: )

Ok, so it does make some difference, but it can't be much at all. And I know you can't confirm or deny how much it is, I'm just thinking aloud really.
    Here's some examples:
    A player on 7 individual and 100 team chemistry plays on 7.75 in-game chemistry.
    A player on 7 individual and 20 team chemistry plays on 5.75 in-game chemistry.
    If team chemistry is 100, a 2 individual chemistry player will have his stats boosted.
  • Orikoru

Here's some examples:
    A player on 7 individual and 100 team chemistry plays on 7.75 in-game chemistry.
    If team chemistry is 100, a 2 individual chemistry player will have his stats boosted.

Thanks for the info man!

20 team chem is really extreme example though, you'd have to actively be trying to get it that low. Say if you have everyone in the right position with a link or two, you'll be around 60-70 team chemistry, so I don't reckon that's going to make a huge difference from 100 team chem is it? In comparison to your example, a 7 individual chem player and 60-70 team chem will give him about 6.75 or 7 chem, hence unchanged from the individual chem pretty much.
  • Orikoru wrote: »

Here's some examples:

Thanks for the info man!

20 team chem is really extreme example though, you'd have to actively be trying to get it that low. Say if you have everyone in the right position with a link or two, you'll be around 60-70 team chemistry, so I don't reckon that's going to make a huge difference from 100 team chem is it? In comparison to your example, a 7 individual chem player and 60-70 team chem will give him about 6.75 or 7 chem, hence unchanged from the individual chem pretty much.
    Yes, that's correct. The effect of team chemistry on in-game chemistry is far less than that of individual chemistry.

• FC Intl
    edited May 2015