Difficulty varies

Hi.

I have to say something about this game.

Playing the demo I thought to myself that hey this is a pretty good game. Now that ive played like 30 games I can say that few new things that make sense and same old problems than last year. And I'm talking about the Career Mode. The difficulty level makes no sense at all. I can win Everton 4-0 me dominating the game with a Championship team but I get slaughtered to a team that's at the bottom of the table with only 10 players. So what is going on.

In FIFA 16 I found the most annoying thing that when somebody decided that i would have a difficult game, I lost most of the battles, poor passing, sluggish movement, shots ended up to the posts.....well basically everything went wrong. When the opponent kept adding pressure I tried to calm the situation by passing only safe passes and avoided contact but still I couldn't get out of the way of their pressure. When they had the ball there was no point of trying to get the ball aggressively because it was extremely difficult. Everytime i got the ball it bounced back to them. Every 1 in 10 ended up my way. The stupid thing was that when I added pressure to a player the opponent kept holding the ball. Normally in real life players tend to pass the ball to a player who is open when pressure is added. So it looked supid. I keep trying to get the ball over and over again and the ball always kept bouncing back their way.

Now in FIFA 17 I think the AI opponent plays better. I think they make more realistic decisions under pressure. They don't hold on the ball as long as they did in FIFA 16. And that makes it look more realistic. It doesn't take away the problem that when playing a "difficult" game the opponent is still faster, stronger, better in every way. And my players are slower and yada yada yada.....so the individual skills of every player alters depending on the match. And that is ok, because like I said earlier, that happens in real life and that's part of the game. In these difficult matches there is too much difference between a match which is, let's say normal. Let's take scoring for example. In a difficult match it's very hard to turn towards the goal. That's ok, if the opponent is defending well and aggressively but when you find I way to break the defense, you should be awarded for it. And I don't mean every time, but if you don't score from or near the penalty spot from 10 scoring chances, someone is pulling the strings. And of course they score the winning goal in the extra time. Shots to goal something like 15-1 and they win 0-1. This would be fine if this happened like once every season but games like this are too frequent. I now that in real life there is difficult games and easy games and sometimes the reasons aren't that obvious. Sometimes things just doesn't go your way. Individual players have their good days and bad days. I think this is something that is difficult to produce to a game in a way that it feels real and makes players happy. I think that EA has not succeeded this year.

I undersand that if the game was without some sort of mechanism that made some adjustments each game the game could get a bit dull. And there would be the problem with scoring, because once you find a way to score you can exploit that and the results wouldn't be authentic. Now the situation is that sometimes you think that every, and I do mean every, little things goes to your opponent.

When the game is, I like to say in balance, the game is pretty good. I think that when the right difficulty level is found, the different aspects of the game should be in balance.
You should win more matches against poor teams than you do against good teams.
You succeed when playing smart.
You get punished when playing stupid.
When you are able to produce plenty of quality scoring chances you score from couple of them. I like the fact that every shot doesn't go where it should but I mean like breakaway chances and such.
I like that the opponent is more aggressive in the last 3rd but sometimes it feels like my guys attributes drop to half and their increases. What's with that.
Opponent is able to give pressure with 3 guys. I am not. The teammate contain(R1 or RB) is a joke. There should be a way to give very aggressive pressure from teammates when wanted. There should be a way the get the ball by force. Usually it would mean a yellow or even a red card, but thats the choice a defender has to make once in a while. Either you let him pass you and let him in a scoring chance or you take him down by force and take the risk of a red card.

There is a lot if little things that do annoy me. Like the fact that EA has not produced a working menu yet. What do I mean. Every year there is something. This is just one thing, but for example if you go to check the tables and switch between leagues and cups, it takes about 30 seconds. So it takes playstation and or any computer or a cell phone to restart that it takes to change a bunch of numbers and figures. The main focus should be in developing the actual game experience, so the menu is not in the top priority, but still. Come on. If you could just make the menus to work like they should. As smooth as a smartphone.

This sounds like I don't find anything good in the game. That is not true. I would give a solid 7 to the game. It's just that when you have played these games from the beginning, you learn to now the game and it's pros and cons. You also want to see progress and you become more demanding. But I think I am entitled as a paying customer.

I would like to say that in a perfect world you would develop the game every in a way that it is better. Now I think that you chance the game every year so that it feels a bit different and then you call that development. I think that's because your main objective is to make money. I hate that, but I understand that too.

Comments

• More comments.
    Did a few training session in career mode myself. Did the "beat the man". The defender is not that good. I can go around him with a single sidestep. Only problem is that the sidestep works once every three times. Why are the controls so non responsive. Seems that everything happens slightly late.or nothing happens at all when I move the right stick to the left or right. The player I trained has dribbling, agility and ball control over 95. So frustrating.
  • More!
    How can you switch off injuries? You can't. If you adjust the injury frequency all the way down to zero, still players get injured. Nice.
    Another thing. Actually more like 100th thing, but anywho. When I sim matches, why do I lose more than win. I have the best roster and I am 1st in the league. If EA decides the winner randomly, then I should win about a 3rd of the matches. If they are using something to tilt the outcome to either way they should use team stats, roster quality, home advantage, etc etc, to create odds of winning, tie and losing. Now it's like I win 1 in ten matches. Why? So many questions. It does not make any sense. Please make this career mode more reasonable. Contract negotiations should also be more logical.
  • It's official. The injury sliders DO NOT WORK. User and CPU slider adjusted to zero. Both frequency and severity. Simmed a match and player out for 6 weeks. Why won't they do anything about this. Has been for ages. Same in NHL.
  • Lee1979
    29 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Agree with you buddy, you get some games where the CPU seems to want you to lose and if you happen to somehow win, the next game will be the same until you lose or draw a match. It's hard to see if that new signing you bought is any good because his abilities seem to change from match to match, which can be a pain at the start of a career mode when you're trying to find your best eleven.

As for injury sliders, they don't work on simmed matches. They are game-play sliders and you're not in the game. It's like you putting all your sliders to 99 and the CPU's to zero and expect to comfortably win every simulated game. Players can still get training injuries as well.

If you really feel the need to sim matches it's best to calendar sim them.
  • IHW88
    18 posts Ball Boy
    I had this exact same problem.

Im currently in my 3rd season, been promoted to L1 with Crawley Town. In my 6th game Im up against Fleetwood Town, who are 24th with 5 losses and Im currently 1st. They thrash me 4-0. My players were horrible and then I checked 3 games later and Fleetwood had lost those 3 games.

I just played Gillingham who are now bottom of the table with 1 win (we are now about halfway into the season) and they beat 3-0 and that was all in the first half! Again, my players were just not responsive.

Now I appreciate that not every game can be easy, but I feel the balance is wrong and has been for a while. Its the same old story.. I feel more comfortable playing a top of the league team than a bottom when it should be the other way around (and again Im not saying it should be a guaranteed win but this is consistently a problem).

Also, tactics. If I put my team on High Pressure/Team pressing to try and apply some pressure, it only makes the CPU team stronger!! Yet, when the other team go all out attacking, high pressure, its very hard for my team to keep the ball.
  • Nikkinen wrote: »
    It's official. The injury sliders DO NOT WORK. User and CPU slider adjusted to zero. Both frequency and severity. Simmed a match and player out for 6 weeks. Why won't they do anything about this. Has been for ages. Same in NHL.

I don't think sliders are applied on simmed matches.
  • SpokenPuppy
    35 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I have found this... I have recently graduated from professional to world class in career mode, and it's going okay. Getting to grips with defending patiently; I just struggle to create score, or even create chances in most games because the CPU either blocks all my shots, disposesses me just as I'm about to pull the trigger or my teammates don't go where I need them to and the pass gets intercepted by a curiously pacey centre back. It can get aggravating at times.

Like others, I don't expect to win every game. I like a challenge. But when Bologna play like Barcelona and give me more of a challenge than Inter something isn't right.
  • IHW88
    18 posts Ball Boy
    Just on this, I played 2nd place and at half time I was winning 5-1 with the final score being 7-1. :D Now I only fear the teams in relegation rather than the top of the table :D
  • Webdizzle
    82 posts Park Captain
    I'm having very similar issues, using Sunderland and I beat Man City and dominate the game then I play Southampton and it's closer they win 2 nil with only two efforts and their keeper has an absolute Worldy. Then I beat Burnley and Stoke fairly comfortably.

Then I play spurs and it is an absolute joke I cannot get out of my own half the pace they have and magnetic strength and pressure on my players is superhuman. it becomes so I'm actually laughing out loud at how weak my players are and slow. Spurs players are out running my passes it's mental.

FIFA has so many balancing game to game issues that it becomes just ridiculous.
  • Webdizzle
    82 posts Park Captain
    On world class

Edit
  • Webdizzle
    82 posts Park Captain
    Their is a chat on this forum which is blaming FIFA for making legendary to easy......

Who the heck are these people who find this game easy
  • Webdizzle
    82 posts Park Captain
    There*
  • Webdizzle
    82 posts Park Captain
    Put the game on slow and it is much much better for me now I'm actually enjoying it
  • Webdizzle
    82 posts Park Captain
    Actually completely ignore above not matter what I do it is impossible to beat spurs.

Players running in jam and passing is awful. To mega goals from spurs.

I hate this game
  • About cup games. Why are cup games always tough games? Especially Champions Cup knockout stage. Last match perfect example. First few minutes and their guy was incredibly agile and fast and just walked past every defender and always made the perfect timing in turns until made a goal. Next 80 total crap, until after 90' their defense opened up totally. It is so visible that the computer deliberately tries to create drama to big games. I created like 4 breakaway chances in added time and fumbled them all. Last chance was a gift from their goalie, who passed the ball to my striker but can't hit between the posts with automatic aiming. This would not be a problem if this kind of matches was a rare thing, but this is so frequent that big games are very predictable.
    And another thing. Why do players ask for a new deal, if they won't accept it. I gave a player double salary, cause he's so good, and still starts to cry about not wanting to commit for so long. He wanted 2 years and 6000. I gave him 2 years and 20000, crucial role and a 5% bonus per goal. And still no. Why, why, why?
  • Webdizzle
    82 posts Park Captain
    Why is the AI allowed to foul you constantly. I get dragged constantly for period of 5-10 seconds it's stupid.

• Same **** continues. I had a good period going for like 10 matches and then the **** started again. I want to make it very clear that this is not about winning or losing. Some of my greatest experiences playing this game has been loses, but when you lose in a way that nothing is left to chance and the opponent is so much better that it is a joke, that I won't swallow. Normally if someone feels that difficulty is too high, you just decrease the level. Great idea except that most of my matches with this level is quite balanced and it feels like the individual attributes are quite even with players that have the same overall level. It last match I played was laughable. They won almost every one on one battle, header, run. Their pressure was extremely aggressive and when I tried to pass my way out something always went wrong. That's the whole idea of aggressive pressure. You take the risk of leaving yourself open in the defense to get the ball and you can also get a yellow card while fighting for the ball, because the idea is to win the ball whatever the cost. Ok. That's fine. I understand that, it why does it mean that the biggest and strongest guy in the field keeps loosing the same kind of battles over and over again. Why does my player leave me alone with the ball and won't go for an open spot. Even though I'm pressing the R1 button asking my teammates to come closer. Every time I have one of these "games from hell" my teammates are never where they should. I have nowhere to pass the ball to. And why does my opponent tackle cleanly every time. I mean it's not possible. That much aggressiveness always, I say again, always leads to fouls. It's a mathematical fact. You can't keep tackling for 90', I'm playing with 8min halfs, and not get a single foul. That's the only way you can win a team like that. Pass 2 or 3 quality passes to break the pressure and counter the wide open defense, but my positioning and passing and movement and turning and running is so so so poor that there is no way to attack. Or defend well enough and make them take a foul and get a free kick. Well they don't get fouls, ever. 1 in 10 of these shittie matches they get maybe one foul and I'm not kidding. Is ridiculous. And adding to that they some how have the stamina to keep the pressure on for the whole 90 min. I mean no team in this world has stamina like that. That's the whole point. You give more pressure knowing that you will wear yourself out but hope to get enough goals with that tactic. And like I said I can stop whining and change the difficulty level but that won't fix the problem. The difficulty varies too much within the difficulty level. I played the demo with the hardest level and played propaply some of my greatest matches. And I don't mean result wise but like they were almost perfect matches when you consider the content and the match as a whole. There is some many little things that I can see when the computer starts to play this impossible way of playing. I wish I could show what I mean because there are so many things that indicates that some of the situations are deliberately created to force a result. For example delay of a pass or a shot. It always appears in a match like this when some player is wide open and you press the pass button and nothing happens and after couple of steps it passes and a guy that you just passed by and the opponent had to chance direction and then he still managed to catch you and slide tackled you before you were able to give that pass. Or same situation but you wanted to shoot. Delay until defender arrives. Or if you want to turn while receiving a pass. Won't turn to make it easier for opponent to take the ball. A match is filled with these little events that make matches like these unplayable. Win or lose. It doesn't matter. Match like this can't be enjoyable. Balance is way of. Being able to be better than the other team is usually about playing better than the other team as a team. Now the opponents individual players are in a whole different level. It's like match between fathers and sons. You just are not able to keep the ball, not to mention controlling the ball. And just when you think you have it, it find some miracle to bounce back to the opponent. And also I can't physically do some of the things that the opponent does. I can't pressure with ore than two players. They can. And also their players never run against each other and fall. Like my players do. But guess what. In a "normal game these things do not happen. Total crap. Hate this game. Least until the "normal"matches reappears again.
  • MaldinisHeir
    342 posts Sunday League Hero
    I've seen these difficulty spikes too and as you say it's against the weaker sides not the stronger sides.

With Milan I find playing against Pescara harder than playing against Juve. I beat Juve 3:1 and lost to Pescara 4:3!

In principal I have no issue with scripting or whatever you want to call it. I actually cannot imagine how a game could be programmed without it. But if you're going to script do it right. By all means have Juve play like super stars and even the odd relegation team putting its life on the line. But it seems like when the difficulty levels spike it's always against weaker sides.

The result is games against stronger sides are disappointing particularly when compared with games against weaker sides. I find myself thinking to myself "why couldn't Juve play like Pescara?".

The other issue I have is since I am using Milan I want to follow the projector of Locatelli's career. In real life Montolivo started the first 7 games or so and then got injured which gave Locatelli his big break. I've tried replicating this in Career Mode but it doesn't work well because I always seem to hit a difficulty after about 8 games (and it genuinely has nothing to do with me swapping Montolivo for Locatelli since in other Career Modes I have won the title with Locatelli in the side).

So I hit this losing streak around the time Locatelli breaks into the side which is not a good look.
    I have ended up giving up on it and just play Locatelli at the outset so he gets all of the credit in the early games which I seem to win (it helps that I play the bigger teams early on like Napoli, Juve and Fiorentina).

I appreciate the developers could not possibly anticipate this little story I'm trying to create but the point is that it is frustrating seeing these difficulty spikes.

In previous games I've messed with the sliders to make the games against the bigger teams harder. I might do so here and this way at least I'll have hard games against big and small teams.
  • Lee1979
    29 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I've seen these difficulty spikes too and as you say it's against the weaker sides not the stronger sides.

With Milan I find playing against Pescara harder than playing against Juve. I beat Juve 3:1 and lost to Pescara 4:3!

I agree with this, it's not new though, it's been in Fifa CM for years. The worst teams to play are the ones languishing down at the bottom of the table, or ones in a bad run.

When Martin Tyler says at the start of the game, they have lost 4 in a row or they are the lowest scorers in the league, I know I'm in for a battle against a master class in attacking football. But don't worry, I'm up against the league leaders next, I'll no doubt bang 5 past them as they hobble around the pitch like drunk old men.

Another thing I've noticed, if I'm winning by one goal with less than 15 minutes to play, in some games my midfield and forwards will drop really deep. I know that my opponent are pushing for an equalizer, so when I'm defending they'll be covering their man who is probably playing a lot higher up, but even when I have the ball they refuse to push up. I'll be going on runs with my CDM, passing my striker who decides to stay where he is or even fill in at CDM for me. It feels like the game's saying "You should be on all out defense now and seeing you have forgotten to do that, we'll do that for you."

• IHW88
    18 posts Ball Boy
    Lee1979 wrote: »

I agree with this, it's not new though, it's been in Fifa CM for years. The worst teams to play are the ones languishing down at the bottom of the table, or ones in a bad run.

When Martin Tyler says at the start of the game, they have lost 4 in a row or they are the lowest scorers in the league, I know I'm in for a battle against a master class in attacking football. But don't worry, I'm up against the league leaders next, I'll no doubt bang 5 past them as they hobble around the pitch like drunk old men.

Another thing I've noticed, if I'm winning by one goal with less than 15 minutes to play, in some games my midfield and forwards will drop really deep. I know that my opponent are pushing for an equalizer, so when I'm defending they'll be covering their man who is probably playing a lot higher up, but even when I have the ball they refuse to push up. I'll be going on runs with my CDM, passing my striker who decides to stay where he is or even fill in at CDM for me. It feels like the game's saying "You should be on all out defense now and seeing you have forgotten to do that, we'll do that for you."

Same with me about your last point. I try to use tactics but they never seem to work so whats the point of them.

And also, when they are all out attack its very easy to score against as they leave their defence wide open. This will occur around the final 10-15 mins regardless if you are up by 1 or by 5. Its become very boring and predictable.

I appreciate they have made the AI some-what better, but if they have made no changes to how the AI play tactically over the course of one game in career mode.