I've Got Nothing Left

Orikoru
10712 posts Has That Special Something
edited November 2016
I'm at my wit's end with this game. I can't **** do it. My record is now 35-16-44, I'm stuck in division 7 still, barely. I can't play this way, every other Fifa I've at least won more games than I lost. I've tried so many formations now, with different tactics, I just can't win no matter what I do. I can't finish chances consistently, and I can't prevent the other team scoring - even if I defend well, they always pop a jammy 25-yarder in with some nobody player. Last night I actually downloaded the Pro Evo demo. That's how bad it's got.

I should point out at this point that I'm not blaming the game either. I still think it's probably a better game than 16, 15 & 14, but I just can't do it. Losing isn't fun. Fifa 15 was more fun than this despite it being a **** game. Every game of Fifa since 98 and I just do my thing and play how I like playing, and if it works it works - more often than not it has worked, but now it doesn't. So I either have to drastically alter how I play (which might not be as fun), or get used to losing more (which definitely isn't fun). Computer Exchange will still give me £32 for the game at this point, and I'm strongly considering it.

I've sold basically all my players and I want to give it one last roll of the dice, but I don't even know what to do? Thinking of going old school with a bunch of fast, tall players?? The team I built last night was in theory set up perfectly (http://www.futhead.com/17/squads/1147389/) for a nice pass and move game - perfect work rates and all - but it didn't work.

What's the most foolproof, idiot proof way to play this game?? There must be something I can try.

TLDR version: I can't **** win and it makes me sad. :(

Update: Turned a slight corner with 4-1-2-1-2 wide:
http://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/comment/3712173/#Comment_3712173

Update again: 3-5-2 is the best.
http://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/comment/3824609/#Comment_3824609

Update 30/11/16
I finally have a positive win/loss record again! It has taken this long but I'm now on 83-37-79. Last night was the best night of this game I've had since the very first day I got it (the day before official release day) - I qualified for the Weekend League for the first time (in only one attempt as well), then sealed promotion from division 4 to d3!

I did strengthen my teams' defences before that so that probably helped:
main team: http://www.futhead.com/17/squads/2727898/
fitness: http://www.futhead.com/17/squads/2727907/

Tevez was unbelievable (just bought him), in the WL qualifier he got 2 goals in the semi and 2 immense goals in the final. Undoubtedly I will get my arse slapped around all over the place in WL but whatever, I'll give it a shot.

http://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/comment/3993877/#Comment_3993877
Post edited by Orikoru on

Comments

• RadioShaq
    14808 posts Moderator
    If you are having a hard time finishing just try cross body shots. Gks hug near post so you can't score those garbage shots like past fifas. It does open up the cross body you almost can't miss unless you boot the shot yourself.
  • Shonosuke
    1507 posts Fans' Favourite
    433-4, 41212 has fullbacks moving to far up leaving you extremely vulnerable. Also try some IFs like Mandzukic or Hernandez, they finish everything
  • Orikoru
    Shonosuke wrote: »
    433-4, 41212 has fullbacks moving to far up leaving you extremely vulnerable. Also try some IFs like Mandzukic or Hernandez, they finish everything

I never use 4-3-3(4), I hate that formation. Same for wide 41212. Formations I've used are 4-1-2-1-2(2), 4-3-1-2, 4-3-2-1, 4-3-3(2), 4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3. I think.
  • Breaker1987
    1484 posts Play-Off Hero
    What's your budget to make a new squad?
  • Jason1986
    6918 posts Big Money Move
    I think the best way to get to get out of a rut is to play with less pressure, where the win isn't important. So a few friendlies with other forumers might be the best course of action.

I'll happily give you a game or two.
  • Orikoru

Well I have like 150k but I'm not buying any expensive players at this point since they just depreciate in value and you lose it all. Sticking to players 10k and under if I can. Have spent up to 15k on certain individuals.
  • Shnekel
    525 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Any chances you're having input lag/button delay most of the time?
    I remember you were saying you're a good player last year, so if you can't win that might be a reason for it.
    I have terrible button delay so i'm barely playing the game anymore... it's just unplayable and really hard to win.
    I assume you'd know if it's because of that or not, but maybe you just didn't really notice.

Anyway, try get high rated defenders at least, they're much better than low rated ones compared to previous years.
    Had a **** defence at the beginning, was very hard to defend, then i got Chieliini and Barzagli(while the game still worked fine for me) and they were very good.
  • Breaker1987
    1484 posts Play-Off Hero
    You should try something like this:
    PiAvrzw.jpg
  • jamcd
    451 posts Sunday League Hero
    Orikoru wrote: »

Well I have like 150k but I'm not buying any expensive players at this point since they just depreciate in value and you lose it all. Sticking to players 10k and under if I can. Have spent up to 15k on certain individuals.

They will depreciate in value, but why worry about it so much if you're at the point of giving up anyway? Just get the best team you can afford and maybe that will help :)
  • Orikoru
    Shnekel wrote: »
    I remember you were saying you're a good player last year, so if you can't win that might be a reason for it.
    I have terrible button delay so i'm barely playing the game anymore... it's just unplayable and really hard to win.
    I assume you'd know if it's because of that or not, but maybe you just didn't really notice.

Anyway, try get high rated defenders at least, they're much better than low rated ones compared to previous years.
    Had a **** defence at the beginning, was very hard to defend, then i got Chieliini and Barzagli(while the game still worked fine for me) and they were very good.

I dunno about good player, but I was division 2 for most of the time on 16. There are certainly flaws in the game such as button delay - players chesting it down instead of heading it - players randomly hoofing it clear when I haven't pressed anything - but there's always flaws in every previous game that I've managed to overcome to get a better record than I have here.

Chiellini and Barzagli are way expensive though. I'm not going to buy them for 25-40k and watch them plummet in value while in my club. I am thinking about Manolas in my new line-up though, he seems an acceptable price.
  • jamcd
    451 posts Sunday League Hero
    Shnekel wrote: »

Chiellini and Barzagli are way expensive though. I'm not going to buy them for 25-40k and watch them plummet in value while in my club. I am thinking about Manolas in my new line-up though, he seems an acceptable price.

I agree. The Serie A defenders are definitely worth the investment! Their stats are insanely good even for their current price. If they drop in price so will everyone else, so try not to worry about it and enjoy the game :)
  • I was in the same boat as you, im far from a good fifa player but i was constantly in div 2 past fifas, even div 1 briefly. I was struggling hard in 17, couldnt get past div 7 no matter what with a negative record.

All of that has changed lately and i believe it has to do with my new formation and instructions, im platimg a 4-2-3-1 the wide one with lm and rm, fullbacks and cdms on stay back, lm and rm on stay wide and get in behind and st on get in behind.

Ever since i started having very good results, im on a 12 games no loss streak with only 2 draws, the formation seems fluid, i never get caught open in the defence, and my attacks are deadly even though just like you i dont score all that often from my chances i get plenty every match.

I believe its worth giving a try, to my understanding so far narrow formations and attacking ones dont work well in 17, now im enjoying the game again and i feel in control.

You helped me with a squad builder on fifa 16 and i felt i owe you one, hopefully what works for me it will work for you aswell!
    Best of luck
  • Spillaren
    1662 posts Play-Off Hero
    I never been a fan of this formation before reading good stuff about it this year, and haven't lost with it yet, even against really good players.

4231(2), also try not to select your defenders too often and let them defend on auto pilot and avoid dragging them out of position.

Main positions to focus on are centre backs, midfielders in terms of good quality players imo, wingers and strikers are not as important as the CB, CB, CDM, CDM, CAM(most important player i this position)

I hope this somehow helps out
  • Orikoru
    What do people think of this team?

http://www.futbin.com/17/squad/112897

Loved Pereyra on the last game, him and Asamoah should be perfect box-to-box mids. Haven't tried Icardi yet, don't know if he's any good, but with Hawk chemistry he looks a decent prospect? In defence - I might spent 26k on Barzagli rather than Koulibaly, I'll have to see how I feel. I still need to make a new fitness team as well.
  • kayron16
    2115 posts Fans' Favourite
    Just made a new discussion on this. Its nothing to do with new gameplay, you're just facing people you'd normally face in Division 1 in the lower divisions

• Orikoru
    kayron16 wrote: »
    Just made a new discussion on this. Its nothing to do with new gameplay, you're just facing people you'd normally face in Division 1 in the lower divisions

Am I?? How can you tell?
  • kayron16
    2115 posts Fans' Favourite
    Read the other discussion. Its basically carried over your rating from 15 to 16. So you meet better players earlier instead of smashing everyone until u get to the top divisions and start struggling
  • Orikoru
    Read the other discussion. Its basically carried over your rating from 15 to 16. So you meet better players earlier instead of smashing everyone until u get to the top divisions and start struggling

You're just speculating though aren't you? How can you know that for sure?
  • CAVALLOIBZ
    488 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I'm at my wit's end with this game. I can't **** do it. My record is now 35-16-44, I'm stuck in division 7 still, barely. I can't play this way, every other Fifa I've at least won more games than I lost. I've tried so many formations now, with different tactics, I just can't win no matter what I do. I can't finish chances consistently, and I can't prevent the other team scoring - even if I defend well, they always pop a jammy 25-yarder in with some nobody player. Last night I actually downloaded the Pro Evo demo. That's how bad it's got.

I should point out at this point that I'm not blaming the game either. I still think it's probably a better game than 16, 15 & 14, but I just can't do it. Losing isn't fun. Fifa 15 was more fun than this despite it being a **** game. Every game of Fifa since 98 and I just do my thing and play how I like playing, and if it works it works - more often than not it has worked, but now it doesn't. So I either have to drastically alter how I play (which might not be as fun), or get used to losing more (which definitely isn't fun). Computer Exchange will still give me £32 for the game at this point, and I'm strongly considering it.

I've sold basically all my players and I want to give it one last roll of the dice, but I don't even know what to do? Thinking of going old school with a bunch of fast, tall players?? The team I built last night was in theory set up perfectly (http://www.futhead.com/17/squads/1147389/) for a nice pass and move game - perfect work rates and all - but it didn't work.

What's the most foolproof, idiot proof way to play this game?? There must be something I can try.

TLDR version: I can't **** win and it makes me sad. :(

It seems that you wrote what i feel this year of the game...
    after a hard start i ve barely reached 7th division.. then i rest for a few days.. now i m back and i ve lost 12 match in a raw (in different days).. my players are lost in the pitch no matter which formation, instructions, nothing no way tomake 2 single pass all together.

i ve never been a fifa pro in last versions (15-16) but damn this real i feel like i ve never played this game before.

my record i something like 24-26-50, so i m worst then you and worst then ever.

i do really love the game, but still have loads of flaw as you mention which ruin my experience.

i know here there s a lot of skill player which are able to overcome all this difficulties.. but unfortunately i m not.
    this is my team

http://www.futhead.com/17/squads/1180308/

any suggestion or formation change is welcome , together with instruction.

budget for new players is 180K.

and, last but not least, if someone want to help me improve with a few friendly game feel free to add me.. my PSN name is the same as here.

cheers
  • BRISTOL86
    8954 posts League Winner
    edited October 2016
    I'm Xbox 1 but had to pop in when I saw your thread.

Do you feel like you just can't do anything at the same rate as your opponent? Player switching, tackling, passing etc? Your opponent pinging it around like Xavi on crack and you can't string two passes together? Passes and shots taking forever to actually happen, long after you press the button?

If so, come and read this thread I made last night.

http://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/191091/interesting-observation-latency-in-seasons-vs-fut-champions

TLDR version is that playing FUT Champions knockout tournament for me was like night and day a different game in terms of the quality of connection. The only way I could explain it is like streaming something on dial up and all of a sudden someone flicking switch to turn on broadband.

Read the thread and give it a go and see if you find the same thing. I've got lots more testing to do but basically had it confirmed by my opponents in seasons yesterday (12 games without a win in D5 and D6) that they had no delay of any kind wheras it was absolutely horrendous for me.

I think it's something to do with the P2P matchmaking but can't quite get my head around things yet - more testing needed.

Also, for those who are disillusioned/bored of the sweatfest that is seasons, please pop along to my other thread - would be good to get as many people of the same mindset (people who just want good, respectful, fair games) in the same place.

http://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/178974/x1-friendly-fut-games-lounge
  • Hey man, if you struggle with this Fifa, give skill game a go, practice all these bronze to gold level will help you a lot, I can't even score when i had at least 10 shots but practicing shooting skills help a lot !
  • Orikoru
    BRISTOL86 wrote: »
    I'm Xbox 1 but had to pop in when I saw your thread.

Do you feel like you just can't do anything at the same rate as your opponent? Player switching, tackling, passing etc? Your opponent pinging it around like Xavi on crack and you can't string two passes together? Passes and shots taking forever to actually happen, long after you press the button?

This is about right. Especially with other teams doing ping pong passing with Fellaini and co, and mine just get intercepted, or my player gets brutally assaulted before he can even release the ball.

• Springveldt
    4495 posts National Call-Up
    Not convinced that is true. I'm currently 15-3-2 in FUT seasons yet I didn't even make division 1 last year. I also qualified for this weekend tournament on the first try.

I did have a ton of input lag in 16 so maybe I'm just used to it while others aren't?

@Orikoru the team looks good but honestly give 4-2-3-1(2) a go. I've been using that this year after using 41212 and 433-4 last year and it's brilliant for me. There is always an outlet somewhere and I'm managing to pass around the pressure ****.
    Also, don't sprint when in possession. :smile:
  • Orikoru
    Not convinced that is true. I'm currently 15-3-2 in FUT seasons yet I didn't even make division 1 last year. I also qualified for this weekend tournament on the first try.

I did have a ton of input lag in 16 so maybe I'm just used to it while others aren't?

@Orikoru the team looks good but honestly give 4-2-3-1(2) a go. I've been using that this year after using 41212 and 433-4 last year and it's brilliant for me. There is always an outlet somewhere and I'm managing to pass around the pressure ****.
    Also, don't sprint when in possession. :smile:

That's three of you who have said that now so I may as well give it a try. What sort of work rates would you go for in the middle? A M/H and a H/H as CDMs? Or two M/Hs?
  • CAVALLOIBZ
    488 posts An Exciting Prospect
    guys any suggestion also for me .. poor one :-)
  • Mini_Miudo
    9961 posts Has That Special Something
    4231-2 is indeed very good. My favourite formation so far. I'd also suggest setting your CDMs and especially your fullbacks (they get caught out way too much this year) to stay back while attacking.
  • Jason1986
    6918 posts Big Money Move
    I'm sitting on the side of its not your formation or players.

Regularly switching formations and playing around with the CT's won't give you a chance to get used to anything.

Stick with one formation and CT's, play a handful of friendly games to get used to the positioning of your players, the runs they make and identify any weaknesses. Definitely the best way the get out of a rut.
  • Orikoru
    Mini_Miudo wrote: »
    4231-2 is indeed very good. My favourite formation so far. I'd also suggest setting your CDMs and especially your fullbacks (they get caught out way too much this year) to stay back while attacking.

Was already going it for the full backs, always have!
  • Orikoru
    Jason1986 wrote: »
    I'm sitting on the side of its not your formation or players.

Regularly switching formations and playing around with the CT's won't give you a chance to get used to anything.

Stick with one formation and CT's, play a handful of friendly games to get used to the positioning of your players, the runs they make and identify any weaknesses. Definitely the best way the get out of a rut.

That just sounds painful though. I tend to give it like 8-10 games with a team and line-up before I sack it off to be fair. When you haven't won for 7 games it can be hard to persevere with a team waiting for it to 'come good'.
  • Burnie
    227 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited October 2016
    Spillaren wrote: »

4231(2), also try not to select your defenders too often and let them defend on auto pilot and avoid dragging them out of position.

Thats a horrendous way to play FIFA, dont defend yourself let the AI do it for you :open_mouth: