As someone who’s been buying EA Sports’ FIFA games on-and-off since the very first one on the Megadrive, I just wanted to give some feedback on the game and in particular career mode. I feel that career mode needs more attention than it currently gets. I totally understand the reasons why, but I just think that with a bit more effort put into it that it could be truly phenomenal. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still enjoyable, but for me the game should be all about realism and immersion, and there are a few things that career mode always falls down on.
• Contextual crowds – This is a massive one for me. It just totally breaks immersion if a team is getting hammered at home, and the whole crowd stays until the end of the match. Yes they go quiet and might boo, but they should start leaving. Also, it would be amazing if attendances could fluctuate based on how your team is performing and who they’re playing. So, go on a run of wins or play a local rival and your stadium is packed. Lose a few matches and it might be half empty. The new career mode mentions attendance as one of the objectives, so how about reflecting that in the actual matches?
• Fact checking – For leagues below the major ones (Premier League, Bundesliga etc) this seems to be a bit shoddy. This year my team (Nottingham Forest) had two players listed as permanent transfers who are actually on loan, and the home kit’s arm badges had the wrong division on. I presume there are researchers who look into this stuff?
• Changing/contextual kits – If a team changes division then their arm badges should do too. It’s a small point but again it’s an immersion-harmer. Also, if you’re playing a career mode for several years it would be nice if you could at least change your away kit colours.
• Player homesickness – Having your overseas import pining for their home country, only to then go and sign for another team in your own country’s league, is pretty dumb.
• Choosing new stadia mid-career – If I’ve taken a team from a low league to a higher one I might want to increase the capacity of its stadium. We should at least be able to choose a new generic stadium between seasons if nothing else.
• Changing weather/lighting conditions during matches – Now FIFA has moved to the Frostbite engine, might we see more variety in the match conditions? For example, starting a game in daylight but with the floodlights going on mid-match? Sudden rainstorms? Sunlight changing as the day draws on?
• Release clauses – You should be able to insert release clauses into players’ contracts, whether you’re playing the game as a manager or a player yourself.
Player career mode
• Contracts and salary – I played player career mode in FIFA 16 a lot. So-much-so that I ended up as the highest-rated player in the game, worth over £80m on the transfer market. However, I was still on my basic starting wage of £6k per week, and never got any opportunity to change this. Not once was my contract reviewed. The only way I could hope to change this was by submitting a transfer request – which was always declined.
• Poor CPU manager logic – My player’s team won the Premier League and Champions’ Cup several times, yet still insisted on keeping, and picking, a poor player instead of strengthening their squad. The CPU manager doesn’t seem to recognise weaknesses or shortcomings in its squad. I’ve also had situations where the manager has sold all their goalkeepers, causing the game to crash as the next match cannot be played.
It’d be great if you could look at this feedback – and the rest which you doubtless get from many players – and try to implement some of the suggestions you receive. I appreciate that some will be difficult if not impossible, but I’m sure some could be done and would therefore help to make the FIFA experience for us offline players even better still.