Please someone help me learn how to defend!

Ellis_D
23 posts Last Pick at the Park
As the title says, I can't defend, it is tearing my hair out. Whatever I try isn't working, people just walk past me and score. I have tried the tackle button, I have tried backing off and timing the tackle. I have tried getting a team-mate to assist but it always leaves gaps in defence and I am horribly exposed and they score. I have tried the L2 (jostle, is it?), I have tried the x button to press them myself. I'm just useless at defending and it is driving me mad, to the point I am just thinking about selling the game.

I was always good at FIFA over the years, with legacy defending. I only first played online in April on FIFA 16 and although I couldn't defend good either then, I still somehow managed to get to division 2. I was relegated every season I had in division 2, so I'm not one of the best players in the world, but I'm quite good. Or I was. This year I am struggling in division 8. I don't mind losing games when someone is loads better than me, but the players I am playing against always seem to be able to close mine down, and more often than not get their challenge right. I just can't do it.

Please someone help me!

Comments

• HaksiPirlo
    217 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Maybe becuase the games kind of new your gonna come across good players still in those devisions
  • Always use midfielder to track back and don't switch to it defenders until last minute when attacker is in our half.. always use tracking / contain and take it time.. don't always need to get ball back right away.
  • vacchiano
    28 posts Last Pick at the Park
    anticipate
  • indomabilis
    I was having the same problem, but then I learned that, in order to defend in FIFA 17, you have to hold down R2 and just follow the ball-carrier around. Also, don't let the AI auto select your players, set it to "Air-Ball" (or something like that) in Control Settings.

Again, hold the Right button (R2), and press the "X" to draw your player near the ball-carrier, then spam the tackle button ("O")., use the sliding tackle from time to time too.
  • Retro_G
    33020 posts National Team Captain
    Casejuh wrote: »

This is good tutorial, read this OP. Practice defending in online single matches, before jumping into seasons.
  • N4p0l3onic
    183 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    In other sentence, fifa is actually forcing players to learn the art of cattenaccio lol, there is even more ironic conclusion, if you mastered fifa tactical defending you would be virtually unbeatable on pes lmao.
  • Ellis_D
    Thanks for the advice, I will take it on board and watch the videos now, hopefully it will help!
  • Simmak40
    259 posts Sunday League Hero
    Change your tactics to custom tactics and set defending to stronger and deeper. Don't jump in with sprint or slide, LT button and jockey them, they will pass and pass and when they make mistakes then send your tackle in. Keep calm and be patient, I had same issues, I changed to 4-3-3, altered player instructions and made my own custom tactics and now I can seem to defend alot better, try it and don't give up
  • Wi1son73
    3339 posts National Call-Up
    The problem with legacy defending is all you had to do finger on sprint first and second man and pressure the player... was very effective! Now if you try that within tactical defending you want do jack sh*t..

Most times it's about leaving the sprint button and try be infront of your player, rather than chasing him.
    You can bump players without ref blowing this whistle too...
    YouTube is full of guys giving you tips
  • randomhero1090
    5627 posts Big Money Move
    Wi1son73 wrote: »
    Most times it's about leaving the sprint button and try be infront of your player, rather than chasing him.

This.

As long as you stay even with the attacker, you are good to go. AI will eventually take the ball.
  • rsclaret
    334 posts Sunday League Hero
    Dont lose the ball so quickly when in posession. Keep shape unless a good opportunity arises. Resist the urge to sprint after attackers. Jockey and call for secondary press. Be prepared to hit "Y" for a keeper interception on anything around the 6 yard box.
  • Goldenear007
    25 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I was having the same problem, but then I learned that, in order to defend in FIFA 17, you have to hold down R2 and just follow the ball-carrier around. Also, don't let the AI auto select your players, set it to "Air-Ball" (or something like that) in Control Settings.

Again, hold the Right button (R2), and press the "X" to draw your player near the ball-carrier, then spam the tackle button ("O")., use the sliding tackle from time to time too.

One of the biggest issues i've found is the manual player switch / select when defending. Far too often it selects a player who isn't the closest to the ball, a defender who isn't goalside but someone else 10 yards further away - and that's on the Air Ball setting.

My biggest problem so far with F17 is that the CPU is winning almost every 50-50. When i receive the ball and am closed down, the CPU defender seems to win the ball without any effort and yet i've shoulder barged and tackled to no avail whatsoever. It seems very " clunky "

And i'm already fed up with the refs. The CPU players rarely slide tackle, the refs are card happy whenever i make a tackle. It's one of the worst aspects of gameplay.

And this game still loves certain players far too much.
  • indomabilis
    One of the biggest issues i've found is the manual player switch / select when defending. Far too often it selects a player who isn't the closest to the ball, a defender who isn't goalside but someone else 10 yards further away - and that's on the Air Ball setting.

My biggest problem so far with F17 is that the CPU is winning almost every 50-50. When i receive the ball and am closed down, the CPU defender seems to win the ball without any effort and yet i've shoulder barged and tackled to no avail whatsoever. It seems very " clunky "

And i'm already fed up with the refs. The CPU players rarely slide tackle, the refs are card happy whenever i make a tackle. It's one of the worst aspects of gameplay.

And this game still loves certain players far too much.

Right. I have that issue too, someone on here said that the CPU selects the fastest player on the picth rather than that closest to the ball-carrier, I can't really say that is true or false.

I forgot the last time I dribble past CPU-controlled players, every challenge seems to be a lose-lose situation. It's like they know what I'm going to do even before I do it. Closing down player is far too quick and far too effective, or perhaps is not that the problem, but the dribbling system.
  • SaintsFCFan
    112 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Have possession and clear the ball? Prevent these situations from occurring and you might cause problems for them.