What are your Custom Tactics?

Orikoru
10712 posts Has That Special Something
edited October 2016
Since we can now put these in at the team menu (yay) I promptly went and put in the tactics I was using on the previous game. I'm not really sure if they've working or not though. I started off using:

Build-Up
Speed - 75
Passing - 25
Organised

Chance Creation
Passing - 65
Crossing - 25
Shooting - 65
Free Form

Defence
Pressure - 65
Aggression - 65
Team Width - 25
Cover

I felt like everyone else was on super high pressure though and was getting done over, for my last two games I put Pressure & Aggression both up to 75 and I won 4-1 and 4-2. I don't know if this is the best long-term strategy though.

What custom tactics are you using? And with what formation, if it's relevant?

And are there any obvious pointers where I'm going badly wrong? I'm thinking of leaving aggression high (75) but dropping pressure to 40 odd so my defence sits a bit better?

Update 07th Oct

Currently using these:

Build-Up
Speed - 75
Passing - 30
Organised

Chance Creation
Passing - 65
Crossing - 30
Shooting - 65
Free Form

Defence
Pressure - 40
Aggression - 75
Team Width - 30
Cover
Post edited by Orikoru on

Comments

• miri
    2749 posts Fans' Favourite
    40/30/O

60/30/70/FF

41/61/31/C

Defense part works well, still tweaking the build up and chance creation parts - sometimes I feel like I don't have enough attacking movement and sometimes I feel like my custom tactics are making my CDM push up too much which I don't want.

On the subject of pressure - I'd learn to play with it relatively low. What you're saying about high pressure not working long term (i.e, as your ELO goes up) is correct imo. My experience of D2 and D1 has been that people will carve apart high pressure easily for the most part.
  • KubaTown
    696 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Crap ones, it seems.
  • Orikoru
    edited October 2016
    miri wrote: »
    40/30/O

60/30/70/FF

41/61/31/C

Defense part works well, still tweaking the build up and chance creation parts - sometimes I feel like I don't have enough attacking movement and sometimes I feel like my custom tactics are making my CDM push up too much which I don't want.

On the subject of pressure - I'd learn to play with it relatively low. What you're saying about high pressure not working long term (i.e, as your ELO goes up) is correct imo. My experience of D2 and D1 has been that people will carve apart high pressure easily for the most part.

Yours are reasonably similar to mine then. I don't worry about CDM moving up because I don't have any at the moment, I'm using flat 3 CM midfields in both my teams. I probably will drop my pressure to around 40 tonight.

P.S. why are your defensive ones 41, 61, etc instead of a nice round 40 and 60? :lol:
  • Squeezy94
    1904 posts Fans' Favourite
    I have 15 pressure defending, they are parking the bus haha
  • Orikoru
    Squeezy94 wrote: »

15, wow. Doesn't that give the opposition loads of time to pop in the **** easy long shots from just outside the box?
  • Mini_Miudo
    9961 posts Has That Special Something
    I don't change it much from default as I don't wanna screw it all up :lol: I have 55/55, 55/50/55, 60/55/50 and all organized (or default if any have different names). Seems to work fine for me.
  • Squeezy94
    1904 posts Fans' Favourite
    Orikoru wrote: »
    Squeezy94 wrote: »

15, wow. Doesn't that give the opposition loads of time to pop in the **** easy long shots from just outside the box?

Hmm, most of the time people are trying to reach the post haha so my defenders are getting close to them and get the ball
  • Orikoru
    Mini_Miudo wrote: »
    I don't change it much from default as I don't wanna screw it all up :lol: I have 55/55, 55/50/55, 60/55/50 and all organized (or default if any have different names). Seems to work fine for me.

Are you the guy that won a million games in a row on the last game? How you doing on this one??
  • Orikoru
    Anyone else?
  • stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner
    67, 47 O
    50, 40, 60 FF
    40, 70, 45 C
  • JuvePerSempre
    829 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I have not played FIFA '17 yet as I am out of the country and do not have my console, but I feel like tactics definitely have mattered in the past. When I would play FIFA without them [at my mate's house or somewhere random], I could definitely feel a difference. My players were all over the place, nobody was making runs, etc.

I play with slow buildup, even if I use a 4-3-3 sometimes, no exact organisation [allows players to move], lots of shooting and defense at maximum aggression, offside trap and central. That being said, I think a degree of skill is required: I am good at long shots and shooting from unlikely angles, so for me, shooting is constant. If I have a little bit of space, I will shoot. That being said, if you are not about shooting, you might consider going for a strong striker and good crossers of the ball in a 4-3-3: that way, you can swing in a cross. Additionally, if you are good at freeing yourself from defenders, you can play with more CAMs. If passing is your area of expertise, a slower buildup will give you the option to pick out a pass. It all depends.

I think it definitely depends on what players you get, because they ultimately make or break your tactics. For instance, my tactics would be impossible if I switched out some of my players.

I rely on midfielders who are box-to-box: Claudio Marchisio, Marco Verrati and Daniele De Rossi, for instance]. Stamina is definitely important if you play aggressively in defense like I do, but because I use the Juventus backline [or at least most of it], I am fine, because they play like that in reality as well.

I apologise if this was not too helpful. What I will say is that you ought to figure out the kind of style you want and buy players that correspond to it. If passing is crucial to you, get players who pass. Even if they are not that quick, use a wingback on either side or wingers who you can feed the ball to.

Stuff like that. If it helps my credibility, my record is usually something like 500-100-200 by the end of FIFA [when the new one comes out], so I am pretty good at it. I will post more if you are interested or you can drop me a message. I like tactics and what not.

Formations that I use mostly are 4-3-3 [typical, but fun to play with, as I use Lorenzo Insigne and Antonio Candreva], 4-2-3-1 [which I love as it gives me the ability to use several CAMs, who are then offset by the presence of two CDMs who cover for their offensive-mindedness and sometimes their lack of physicality]. In a 4-2-3-1 for instance, shooting is immense for me because of the players I choose. One year, I had IF Francesco Totti and he scored something like 125 goals in 90 matches for me in that formation. It can be deadly.

What I will say is that the best kind of formations are ones that are diamond-shaped. Yes, 4-1-2-1-2 is overused and probably the go-to formation for beginners of the game, but there is a reason for it: it is super balanced. But it is relatively simple.

Sorry if I was verbose and convoluted.
  • Orikoru
    Nice post JuvePerSempre. My custom tactics were designed using the guide that's on Reddit, but I did it for Fifa 16 of course, so there a few niggles while I work out what's better for the new game. I usually play pretty narrow, hence why I have my crossing low (since I never cross it anyway), and I try and play fast, direct passes, hence why I have 75 & 25 on the top bit of the tactics (gets players running in for the short passing options often). Like you I tend to use good all-round CMs that can play box-to-box. Currently using 4-3-2-1 and 4-3-1-2 with my two teams. I like the 4-1-2-1-2(2), but 4-3-1-2 is pretty similar and easier for chemistry when the CAM only has 3 links, not 5.
  • Gazza74
    1114 posts Professional
    85, 50 O
    70, 70, 40 FF
    20, 50, 50 C
  • stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner
    Nice post JuvePerSempre. My custom tactics were designed using the guide that's on Reddit, but I did it for Fifa 16 of course, so there a few niggles while I work out what's better for the new game. I usually play pretty narrow, hence why I have my crossing low (since I never cross it anyway), and I try and play fast, direct passes, hence why I have 75 & 25 on the top bit of the tactics (gets players running in for the short passing options often). Like you I tend to use good all-round CMs that can play box-to-box. Currently using 4-3-2-1 and 4-3-1-2 with my two teams. I like the 4-1-2-1-2(2), but 4-3-1-2 is pretty similar and easier for chemistry when the CAM only has 3 links, not 5.

A bit OT but how is 4321 compared to 4312? I used both last year but haven't tried 4321 this year.
  • JuvePerSempre

I hope it helped. What kind of squad do you use ? It would maybe help if you put one or two of your most popular/used ones so I/we can take a look.

I have not seen the guide but to be honest, I think it is all about how you play. If you play narrow, then good on you for recognising that crossing should be kept to a minimum. And that means that formations that encourage players to get out wide should be discounted, because you would not be using them as intended and that would be foolish.

I was going to suggest 4-1-2-1-2[2] because of the presence of a lot of midfielders who you could use to your advantage. I liked 4-3-1-2 in the past, but I find it to be a little constrictive. For me, anyway.

Another tip, though I think you knew this: I always try to counteract the weakness of one player with the strength of another. Example: I love Andrea Pirlo, but his physicality is not the best and because of his pace, I cannot expect him to track back and get back in attack in time without his legs being shot by halftime. So, I usually use someone whose physicality is stronger, but whose passing may not be as good.
  • JuvePerSempre
    I forgot to mention: most people do not pay attention to the workrate of a player. That is crucial for nailing your tactics: if you play a certain formation, you cannot have anyone aimlessly moving or passively attacking/defending. It can make or break your side, so take that into account.
  • miri
    40/30/O

60/30/70/FF

41/61/31/C

Yours are reasonably similar to mine then. I don't worry about CDM moving up because I don't have any at the moment, I'm using flat 3 CM midfields in both my teams. I probably will drop my pressure to around 40 tonight.

P.S. why are your defensive ones 41, 61, etc instead of a nice round 40 and 60? :lol:

Haha, I copied them off that InceptionXx guy on YouTube/Twitch. He's a real good player and when I watched him I thought his defending looked like an upgraded version of mine so that's what I went for.

I actually tweaked my tactics again to match the Barcelona tactic on Seasons as I found that perfect for my playstyle. Working really for me so far - 4 wins and a draw in the 5 games I played since changing. Before that I was really struggling. I can post the full tactic later if wanted, but you can just pop in Seasons and check out Barcelona's tactics.

I'll probably tweak it a tiny but as the pressure is quite high (65 IIRC) but the big thing that helped me a lot was going from 30 width to 65. People play very congested through the middle this year and after analysing some of the games I lost (obsessive 'demo' watcher / nerd as I'm an ex pro level FPS player) I found I was trying to force the ball through congested midfields/defenses way too much.

Should mention also these tactics are working for me with 433(4). My plan down the line is to play 433(2) but I need much better CMs than I have right now and I'm not prepared to pay the inflated prices for people like Pogba, Marchisio etc.
  • Orikoru
    stevvix wrote: »

A bit OT but how is 4321 compared to 4312? I used both last year but haven't tried 4321 this year.

I can't really give any conclusions at this point - I've used 4-3-2-1 for about 6 games. It started to click in the last couple though, and Berardi was smashing it from RF. 4-3-1-2 I've used even less, only just built the team. :lol:
  • stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner

I can't really give any conclusions at this point - I've used 4-3-2-1 for about 6 games. It started to click in the last couple though, and Berardi was smashing it from RF. 4-3-1-2 I've used even less, only just built the team. :lol:

Let us know how you get on. I only have 2 cheap teams so refuse to pay the prices to get RM/LM to RF/LF... crazy costs!
  • JuvePerSempre
    Oh mate, if you are using a Serie A squad, tell me and I can help you out. 95% of my squads are Serie A. Hahaha.
  • Pepe Le DiLzZ
    14331 posts Has That Special Something
    Don't like custom tactics, too lazy do it all the time.
  • miri

You only have to set it once per squad this year.
  • Orikoru

I hope it helped. What kind of squad do you use ? It would maybe help if you put one or two of your most popular/used ones so I/we can take a look.

I have not seen the guide but to be honest, I think it is all about how you play. If you play narrow, then good on you for recognising that crossing should be kept to a minimum. And that means that formations that encourage players to get out wide should be discounted, because you would not be using them as intended and that would be foolish.

I was going to suggest 4-1-2-1-2[2] because of the presence of a lot of midfielders who you could use to your advantage. I liked 4-3-1-2 in the past, but I find it to be a little constrictive. For me, anyway.

Another tip, though I think you knew this: I always try to counteract the weakness of one player with the strength of another. Example: I love Andrea Pirlo, but his physicality is not the best and because of his pace, I cannot expect him to track back and get back in attack in time without his legs being shot by halftime. So, I usually use someone whose physicality is stronger, but whose passing may not be as good.

My teams are still in their early stages, used one 6 times and the other I only built yesterday and haven't used at all yet. This is them though:
    1. http://www.futhead.com/17/squads/794274/
    2. http://www.futhead.com/17/squads/841362/
    I forgot to mention: most people do not pay attention to the workrate of a player. That is crucial for nailing your tactics: if you play a certain formation, you cannot have anyone aimlessly moving or passively attacking/defending. It can make or break your side, so take that into account.

Yeah I tend to look for at least one H/H player in there, and I never tend to use players who have low attacking or defensive. At least medium for both.
  • Pepe Le DiLzZ

You only have to set it once per squad this year.

I haven't done it at all lol.
  • LouXC
    801 posts An Exciting Prospect
    433(2)
    50/50 O
    67/30/55 F
    60/50/50 C
  • Orikoru

Let us know how you get on. I only have 2 cheap teams so refuse to pay the prices to get RM/LM to RF/LF... crazy costs!

Ah yeah - luckily I've gone for El Sha and Berardi who are LW and RW - so they'll get 10 chem with manager and loyalty.
  • Orikoru
    Oh mate, if you are using a Serie A squad, tell me and I can help you out. 95% of my squads are Serie A. Hahaha.

Posted my teams earlier, above. It's only like 50% Serie A. I'm not using anyone expensive at this stage - other than Bacca, who looked great value for 15k, I'm only using players who cost less than 10k.
  • Pepe Le DiLzZ
    433 formation best custom tactic?
  • JuvePerSempre

Posted my teams earlier, above. It's only like 50% Serie A. I'm not using anyone expensive at this stage - other than Bacca, who looked great value for 15k, I'm only using players who cost less than 10k.

I mean, I could build you a Serie A side using players for less than 10k. I think unbiasedly that Serie A is the best league to build a squad with in terms of effectiveness and cost.
  • Orikoru

I mean, I could build you a Serie A side using players for less than 10k. I think unbiasedly that Serie A is the best league to build a squad with in terms of effectiveness and cost.

Yeah, it's usually good value. I used Eder in one of my first teams last week and he was pretty decent. Gabbiadini was crap though. Berardi has been excellent. De Rossi was good in my previous team, and Strootman has been really good in this one. Asamoah was decent but not worth 7k really. Briefly used Perotti and he was really good, despite his odd work rates.