THE BIG LATENCY/PING/INPUT PROBLEM THREAD II

First thanks so much to Aias87 for this original post of the very frustrating problem I and many other have experienced with this game starting around Fifa13. I am including a link to it so that you can read it. It details all the problems many of us experience making our favorite game unplayable. I will copy some of the article because it is so well written and explains things very well. My goal for this post is to provide a place for all of us who are having these problems. A place where we can be united in our frustrations and hopefully the problem fixed so we can all return to our favorite franchise.

https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/62785/the-big-latency-ping-input-problem-thread/p1

Hi guys. Since I've been seeing so much threads popping up in which people claim the experience unexplainable problems with their online game play, I'd thought I try to write some of my thoughts down. For our beloved moderators, this discussion will not be about scripting/handicap/momentum or any other unproven theories. In my humble opinion these concepts are all myths and directly related to a problem I refer to as 'input lag'. This type of lag creates the illusion of the game being against you as the delay in input makes AI and controlled players act extremely unpredictable. My intentions are to steer discussion away from the handicap claims, and to focus our energy on the possible underlying causes of input lag.

Now, as a disclaimer I do not see myself as a fantastic FIFA player, I have won several Div1 titles and was even ranks in the top 2% in the world at times. That being said sometimes I end up playing in Div5; its hard to play with the input lag, very hard as most of you know.

IN GAME EXPERIENCES
- Framedrops. Most well know form of latency issues, stuttering imagery. Strangley this occurs not too often.
- Short passes are too soft. Most likely due to too little button input. This makes possession play really hard.
- Close range finishing doesn't work. Shots can't be aimed at the goalcorners, but go straight at the keeper.
- Players use the 'Stretched first-touch' animation for balls that are 100% placed at their feet.
- AI never intercepts the ball. Even when it practically runs over their feet. They never come to the ball.
- Players fail to accept a pass. Making the ball ricochets towards an opponent. (no animation)
- Players turn extremely slowly. Best example of button lag, players respond too late & feel like glue.
- Timed headers that jump to early or too late. Mostly hard on defending corner kicks.
- Well timed tackles that never obtain possession. They just bump the ball over the side-lines. Completed tackles most always end up with the opposing team recovering the ball without issue while your player falls over himself or AI doesn't react to regain possession.
- Loads and loads of fouls Mostly with players that bump into other opponents (not carrying the ball.) Loads and Loads of injuries usually 1-2/game.
- Player switching becomes really hard. I use both manual and L1 for player switching, which can become random.
- Random passes and shots aren't executed. Instead players keep walking in a straight line.
- Conceding a lot during the final third.

Among others....Players are always outpaced by opponent no matter the situation, won't show replays when you want to see the rediculousness of what just happened, opponent receives tons of corners and always ends up the with possession...and more

My current setup.

PS4

Comcast Internet (Cable DL 120 mb/s UL 12 mb/s hardwired. ASUS RT-AC87R router, motorola SB6121 modem,Ports Forwarded, tried DMZ to no avail, UpnP off, Ipv6 disabled, QOS modified, static IP to PS4, NAT2, wired controller)
I am located in Denver, CO.

I have just tested Samsung KS8000 with an input lag of 20ms. This is a great gaming TV but did nothing to solve these problems.

My UO trace is around 78-80ms to EAServers but usually to my ISP its less than 20ms

What have i tried?

Different PS4, different FIFA disc, XboxOne, different ISP, ISP replaced cable lines to house, (I have moved to a new house now), different routers, different modems, different PSN, Different origin ID, Different EA account.

I have been escalated many times with no solutions from EA. I have broken two coffee tables and a couch haha hence my sn.

Comments

• This is a real problem. This isn't because the game is "slow" like some people say. Because I think the game is beautiful in offline modus. All online game modes just have to be patched.. It bothers me almost every day I can't play my favorite game. In previous years they got me hooked like an addict on this game and now they poison us with this horrendous input lag/button delay :(

Keep this post alive.
  • KaverHansen
    432 posts Sunday League Hero
    Game is great offline against mates fx. Poor connection is ruining online and ea havent said anything ?

Even with open ports and nat type 2 its still unplayable at times. Its funny how its only fifa and no other games
  • SoundersAllDay
    1492 posts Play-Off Hero
    So I complain and people jump all over it saying I suck and there is nothing wrong with the game. Then you come in here with pretty sound and logical reasoning for why input delay is adversely affecting the gameplay. If people don't believe me they should at least listen to you.
  • SKILLED_NOOB1
    1945 posts Play-Off Hero
    I'm so dissapointed right now.
    Up until today the game had been running great, as good as I expect an online game go run anyway.

I was loving the gameplay so much I made a thread on it.
    Fast forward to today. Really looking forward to more divisions but uh oh, the input lag was here with a vengeance.

It completely changed the game, no more lovely and perfectly timed defence splitting thru-balls, no first time shots from a pass into the box, constantly over powering my shots and watching them go into row z and that's if I even managed to get the shot off b4 being tackled. I was better than most of the people I played but after 85 mins of not being able to score my chances cuz I've these issues and playing bad cuz of rage I'd conceed a sloppy goal and lose.

When this game works my god, it is the best football game I've ever played, but if it is like it was today again tmw then I won't be playing it cuz there is zero point.

PLEEEEEEEEASE E.A, hear us and fix this cuz you are so close to the perfect game.
  • ASH32
    1791 posts Play-Off Hero
    It's worse than ever this year, the game even passes and shoots for me when there is a lots of lag and poor response, it never did that in the past. This usually just wastes possession for me but the game did actually score a goal for me yesterday.
  • LFC_Ryno
    17 posts Ball Boy
    I legitimately can't stand it. What's the point of playing if you are just hoping the players do the action you pressed 3 seconds ago. Back to 16 until this gets fixed, at least I have somewhat control of my own play in 16.
  • neefaskru2
    137 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Yea it's exactly about what i'm crying here from couple of days.
    I was so pleased with demos gameplay. Still offline this game is very good. The only thing i was scared of was the DELAYS. And here it is, but this time in 100 % of games for me ....

It's funny thing, like it's more to it than just the delays. I doubt the delays alone can cause players cancer described in the very topic or experienced by us.
    And i would like to know how it is, that most of my opponents clearly dont have the problem.

And one more thing to cry about. Idiots who are claimg that there's not input lag, that its the realistic game. U fkin dumbasses, im sure ur game works just fine, coz if u were at our place u would never told such bullshi.t.
    The game itself is good, offline is nice. Unfortunately i'm intrested only in online, when playing solo.
    And online is unplayable.
  • CFCHenri
    4687 posts National Call-Up
    I legit can't play this game online. I can win a game 3-0 and still be mad! Too much delays which is caused by the player wanting to take an extra touch, no ball control and too many animations FIFA has added to ignore controller input.
    Look at this pass from Banega, look how his leg speed up just to make the through pass, took him way too long when I wanted the pass to Eder when he was calling for it. Banega completely has the ball but somehow it seems he has to sprint in front of the ball to pass (no ball control = creating input lag)
  • LFC_Ryno
    17 posts Ball Boy
    CFCHenri wrote: »
    I legit can't play this game online. I can win a game 3-0 and still be mad! Too much delays which is caused by the player wanting to take an extra touch, no ball control and too many animations FIFA has added to ignore controller input.
    Look at this pass from Banega, look how his leg speed up just to make the through pass, took him way too long when I wanted the pass to Eder when he was calling for it. Banega completely has the ball but somehow it seems he has to sprint in front of the ball to pass (no ball control = creating input lag)

and the guy takes 5 steps but doesn't move anywhere. Horrible.
  • CFCHenri
    4687 posts National Call-Up
    Look near the end, tell me what the ❤️❤️❤️❤️ that was! A parachute behind his back when I used the Right Stick to push the ball with Marco Parolo. Input lag completely glitches him out, weird game physics.
    http://xboxclips.com/CFCHenri/89ca8509-64aa-4b63-a7ca-8431b08bbc11
  • WidMosHMT
    35 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Hello Ladies/Gents,

I'm inside that nightmare too. Here is my full thread regarding FIFA 16 button lag:

https://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/173144/input-button-lag-is-out-of-control-now/p1

Today via phone I've reported EA Poland about severe button lag in FIFA 17 game-play in Single Mode and Online as well as stuttering Menus. Since FIFA 15 I'm struggling so hard to find the cause and kill that BUG. I've spent so much money to test different hardware, ISPs, Monitors, etc. Traveled around the countries to check if the region has any influences on the issue...NO positive results at all...well here we have the greatest prove of that: Ibreaktables is from USA and I'm from Poland...

IT HAS TO END RIGHT NOW!! EA NEEDS TO SORT IT OUT...NOW.
  • neefaskru2
    edited October 2016
    Well, i've played 2 games, first was unplayable as always. But in second game input lag was less noticeable. Funny thing is i won the first game struggling as ❤️❤️❤️❤️. The second game well.... I've barely draw
    Costa missed 3 headers at empty goal, also he didnt even bother to go for header 2 times, just ran back out of the box lol. My defenders also were so disabled, but when i just put down the controller they were better -.-. Switching players also worked so bad i can't even describe it.
    I've talked with a popular polish youtuber about the problem. He said he never heard of input lag in fifa...
  • sinasipahioglu7
    1944 posts Play-Off Hero
    CFCHenri wrote: »

this what happens me in my every game, today my neymar suddenly left the ball while he was dribbling and when i tried to get it back he just stood still, its horrible man, completely ruining the game...
  • WidMosHMT
    35 posts Last Pick at the Park
    neefaskru2 wrote: »
    I've talked with a popular polish youtuber about the problem. He said he never heard of input lag in fifa...

This is not the first time I'm hearing that all YouTube celebrities have no lag issues. They can stream and play FIFA at the same time and have no lag at all...wtf...??
  • neefaskru2
    If it stay the same, i'll propably just sell the rest of my coins and this fkin game, like i did with fifa 16...
  • AidenP1
    19 posts Last Pick at the Park
    i first noticed this at the end of FIFA 14 i reported it to EA several times obviously they blamed my console,tv,internet in the end i just gave up telling them and adapted some matches are better than others.

i have found playing at night time the game is lag free which makes me think its a server issue
  • NornIron
    15561 posts World Class
    edited October 2016
    Thats mine gone again its like some kinda virus u cant get rid off.
    I can just play basic football now nothings fun about the game cant even time a tackle have to make 2 yard passes, players running away from the ball or into each other.
  • Has the new Frostbite engine got something to do with it also or is it still only the EA server and peolples connection
  • NornIron
    15561 posts World Class
    edited October 2016
    Has the new Frostbite engine got something to do with it also or is it still only the EA server and peolples connection

Ea servers overloaded i think gets unplayable at the weekends. The beta was great perfect.
  • JSchuch
    476 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Im not sure if this relates, but over the last 24 hours I've noticed that my game speed seems to continuously change throughout my matches, almost as if the game is trying to play catchup at times. Im not sure if this is relatable to some kind of input lag or if it is just standard connection lag? I had never had the problem and the gameplay had been incredibly smooth but over the last 4 or 5 games I've played during the last day I've had this issue.

Can anyone relate or experience something similar?
  • nsholmberg11
    2398 posts Fans' Favourite
    Glad to see such a good response to the same issues I've experienced. Really hope EA listens and thanks for bringing this up
  • EaTrashCompany
    103 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    I can't defend this game anymore, I tried I really tried to enjoy FIFA I jut can't. The lag is so bad next gen consoles have completely destroyed fifa. The lag ruined this game this engine is trash if they update this will be the last fifa I ever play
  • Shnekel
    525 posts An Exciting Prospect
    edited October 2016
    Fully support this, good to see i'm not the only one.
    Had horrible lags during fifa 15, then found some method that helped(approx location switch to yes and then no.. only found out about it at the end of fifa 15 though), then i had horrible lags during fifa16 so i just quit it on Novemeber last year, came back at the end of the year and it was still the same most of the time.

This year, i got the game a day before the US release(3 days before UK..)
    Game worked great, i won easily and everything was right.. there i was, thinking the input lag might be gone this year.. turned out i was wrong.
    Ever since the UK release, i just can't play this game. I honestly don't know how my controller is still in one piece.. i have about 20 losses atm, and i can honsetly say i deserved to lose maybe 2-3 of those games.
    Outplayed my opponent every single game but i just couldn't win them because i couldn't play normally.

*My TV has about 30ms, which is average i think.
    I have no lags at all on other online gameplays such as Rocket league, Trackmania Turbo, COD..
    Post edited by Shnekel on
  • sinasipahioglu7
    1944 posts Play-Off Hero
    since we past on to next gen consoles, fifa gameplay is going down the hill...
    the input delay is horrible this year
  • RageRambler
    1133 posts Professional
    Fifa played beautifully on PS2. Then last year of PS3.. Once it hit PS4, I noticed a huge change in several different aspects of the game..

1) High/low momentum changes throughout the game. If your opponent t is on a high momentum "super saiyan powerup" your players turn into slow, confused, drunk, ❤️❤️❤️❤️...

2) successful tackling results in your player either falling over the ball, falling down, ball bounces directly to opponemt in stride, or my player immediately sprints away from the ball. This happens at least 70% of the time I steal the ball.

3) When the ball is in the air, L1 becomes broken. Players won't switch, they either stare at the ball, run away from the ball, watch the opponent get the ball, giving them a lane to shoot..

4) Now this next thing only happens at certain times of the game... Having a 2 or 3 on 1 breakaway that results in my player taking a "slide shot" when no one is around him. Even when I do a finesse shot... lol. He would be in the middle, and somehow he still manages to shoot the ball wide, over the post, or hits the post.... Very annoying

5) Now, before I get into this, I am a great passer, always have been. My games always end with me having a 80+ passing percentage... But, I had to train myself to pass a full second sooner than I want to, bc the pass lag is so bad, my player still takes a full stride or two after I initiate the x button... I've just become used to it online. Offline works as intended...

There's morw problems with the game, but these are the most frustrating.. It's been this way for the last 4 years or so... EA needs to read these and fix the damn game
  • Quaid
    80 posts Park Captain
    Was up 4-2 in champions. 80th minute , just disconnected out of no where. Why? Does the opponent know how to cheat the servers? This is twice this happened. No it is not my internet lol
  • mjustic
    1320 posts Professional
    3) When the ball is in the air, L1 becomes broken. Players won't switch, they either stare at the ball, run away from the ball, watch the opponent get the ball, giving them a lane to shoot..

4) Now this next thing only happens at certain times of the game... Having a 2 or 3 on 1 breakaway that results in my player taking a "slide shot" when no one is around him

lol I found myself in these two, very very true

• Retro_G
    33023 posts National Team Captain
    Funnily enough, fifa 17 had played fairly smooth for me online, up until this lag iinfested fut champions. Peppering your opponents goal, nothing is going in, or your players are stuck in mud. Fut champions is a serious competitive mode, should've strict network conditions.

Look at Overwatch, lead game director Jeff Kaplan has came out, publicly stated that people with poor connections should stay away from competitive mode, stick to quick play.
  • BeardedBerk
    1797 posts Play-Off Hero
    Glad to see such a good response to the same issues I've experienced. Really hope EA listens and thanks for bringing this up

On 16 we had a lag/input lag thread with over 2700 replies.... Not one from anyone at EA
  • Same problem here. Been affected by this since 2013. Both with NHL and FIFA. All other games plays perfect. Have low latency, no jitter, no package loss on my internet, good pings across Europe. Just these games from Ea Sports that has delay.
    Now something funny, every year when they release FIFA and NHL I get about a week of no input delay what so ever, everything is smooth in online modes as it should be. Then somwwhere between Okt 6 and 7 everything went to ❤️❤️❤️❤️. It was like someone just flipped a switch and the delay was there bigtime. Before the delay I was winning maybe 2 out of 3 games. Now I'm on a 10 games loosing streak.(makes me want to murder a bunny!!) Same goes with NHL. It's soo frustrating.
    It has to be on EAs side. If it was my ISP then it would be bad from the start. So weird that it's delay free for one week and the next it's not.
    Mayne EA shuts down a few servers about a week after release when they think it's no need for them? It can't be a coincidence when this happens to so many of us.