Defending is OP

13
Joonlar
115 posts Has Potential To Be Special
I feel it's much too easy for defenders to steal the ball, hound attackers, use their strength to push away attackers, and make interceptions.

Because of this the game feels way more balanced toward defending than attacking. When dribbling you have to be soo careful to not lose the ball because the defender can steal in the ball in so many ways, yet when when you're defending you can be pretty reckless and still be rewarded. It simply feels like you gain abilities on defense that you lose on offense.

I think if some of these defense abilties were toned down it would create a more balanced game, and the dribbling/attacking aspect would get the freedom that it doesn't have right now.

Thanks.

Comments

  • Nas-Escobar
    76 posts Park Captain
    Joonlar wrote: »
    I feel it's much too easy for defenders to steal the ball, hound attackers, use their strength to push away attackers, and make interceptions.

    Because of this the game feels way more balanced toward defending than attacking. When dribbling you have to be soo careful to not lose the ball because the defender can steal in the ball in so many ways, yet when when you're defending you can be pretty reckless and still be rewarded. It simply feels like you gain abilities on defense that you lose on offense.

    I think if some of these defense abilties were toned down it would create a more balanced game, and the dribbling/attacking aspect would get the freedom that it doesn't have right now.

    Thanks.

    You have the right to air your opinion buddy.

    Unfortunately, expect and anticipate some **** s***king FIFA fan boy goons to appear and respond to your thread & attack you for being a complainer & complaining about their "SUPERB FIFA 17" :| :/
  • TacticalTugTeam
    734 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I'm 13-0-0 right now so I can't complain.. i don't think defending is OP.. I think defending in FIFA16 was too OP tbh... and the keepers on FIFA16 would bail out your opponent there's a bigger skill gap in FIFA17 as the AI make better runs off the ball in an attacking sense.. the only thing I can complain about at the moment is the input delay.. most people are experiencing it.. a delay before you shoot happens or even passing.. but there will be an update/patch soon surely to fix that.
  • randomhero1090
    5627 posts Big Money Move
    Defenders are winning more 1v1 battles now. But you have shield dribble. So you need to use it. You cannot just run at the defense this year. Need to setup runs and create space.

    I'll keep saying it over and over.
  • I've just played a game (online seasons). I was Chelsea and playing against Barca, all the guy did was give the ball to neymar or messi and run through my whole team like I'd put the controller down! I couldn't get the ball no matter what I did. He scored 5 goals without even passing the ball just ran round all my players like the ball was glued to their feet. Terry,Zouma,Matic and Ivanovic all big strong players were just completely brushed aside like they were nothing! Now I'm not a FIFA superstar player but defending definitely wasn't OP for me that game!
  • Hiiritin
    40 posts Last Pick at the Park
    You need to be more aware of when it's a good moment to challenge a defender 1on1. However: if a defender is well positioned it is very hard/impossible to go past him, just like in real life, and that's exactly how it should be.

    I don't know how you can say defending is op because there is still lots of shots and goals per game. But now it's not just zig-zaging around like last year. I am mainly very very happy with the def/att-balance. Still passing should be little bit harder imo.
  • GoonerSoldier
    154 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Do you watch footie in real life?? Dribbling past top defenders is near impossible. Only the best dribblers like Neymar, Messi, C.Ronaldo, Payet, Etc etc... can get by players and they rarely get to dribble past easily. I suggest you use more TEAMWORK like real life instead of trying to be a one man team all the time.
  • N4p0l3onic
    165 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    If anything attacking has always been overpowered in any football games to this date
  • Retro_G
    12412 posts Has That Special Something
    Disagree.
  • TacticalTugTeam
    734 posts An Exciting Prospect
    N4p0l3onic wrote: »
    If anything attacking has always been overpowered in any football games to this date

    Defensive AI is too assisted in FIFA17.. does all the work don't agree.
  • Think its much harder then fifa 16
  • indomabilis
    23 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Defending is perfectly fine only if both players in battle are using default settings, the real unbalance comes from custom tactics, it has since 2009/10.

    Custom tactics are a tremendous nightmare online because there's no way you can work round it, unless you're exploiting it too.

    If EA doesn't want to do anything about CT, that's fine, they can leave'em in the game untouched if you will....BUT, for the love of God, give users alternatives like ruling out CUSTOM TACTICS in matchmaking settings!!

    Personally I'd love to play against people who use default settings alone.
  • gs90
    66 posts Park Captain
    The problem is everyone playing with park the bus/high pressure... They need to rethink the pressure system, cause just by having that many players around makes your players misbehave and miss a lot of passes/shots you shouldn´t.
  • CFCHenri
    2223 posts Fans' Favourite
    N4p0l3onic wrote: »
    If anything attacking has always been overpowered in any football games to this date

    Defensive AI is too assisted in FIFA17.. does all the work don't agree.

  • Defenders are winning more 1v1 battles now. But you have shield dribble. So you need to use it. You cannot just run at the defense this year. Need to setup runs and create space.

    I'll keep saying it over and over.

    False , 90% of the time when I play H2H and I start a game I instantly score in the first 2 minutes by running from the kick-off to the goal and sliding through all the defenders with ease to then score.

    Same thing happens when I take a goal , my opponent is probably happy he's scored but then at the kick-off after his goal I instantly score one back and he can't stop me...happens 80 if not 90% of the times I swear and I've already played 50 matches~ ... they just CAN'T stop me , i just slide through them even while sprinting or doing simple skills...or even by just jogging and zig-zagging

    It's funny cause apparently out of all these 50 matches NOBODY scored againts me in this way , while the other years (15/16) there would be some fcker giving me the same medicine...now anyway i still haven't faced someone that can successfully do this to me , they just try but fail...well i guess lucky me , it might be me better at defending compared to the past years , or just me superior in attacking soo fast and sliding...dunno , but it works like a charm , won soo many matches with these goals , and made soo many people quit because of it and give me 3-0 ez
  • I don't think defense is easy. The manual tackle is kind of a ****. It's hard to use, which is OK... and even when timed well, sometimes the player seems to choose a wrong way of tackling. But if anything, the tackle should be improved just a little bit. Even with how it currently is, defense seems balanced in relation to atatck, to me.

    Also, Skill Moves can help a lot, if you wanna dribble past the defenders. Here are some tips:
  • lordCriper
    278 posts Sunday League Hero
    Defending is perfectly fine only if both players in battle are using default settings, the real unbalance comes from custom tactics, it has since 2009/10.

    Custom tactics are a tremendous nightmare online because there's no way you can work round it, unless you're exploiting it too.

    If EA doesn't want to do anything about CT, that's fine, they can leave'em in the game untouched if you will....BUT, for the love of God, give users alternatives like ruling out CUSTOM TACTICS in matchmaking settings!!

    Personally I'd love to play against people who use default settings alone.

    I'd support a filter like that any day man. Those games in seasons when you get matched with someone not using CTs are the only enjoyable games.

    I'd like EA to fix custom tactics of course, don't think they are able to though. So just put a filter in and I'm a happy camper.
  • Retro_G
    12412 posts Has That Special Something
    Defending is perfectly fine only if both players in battle are using default settings, the real unbalance comes from custom tactics, it has since 2009/10.

    Custom tactics are a tremendous nightmare online because there's no way you can work round it, unless you're exploiting it too.

    If EA doesn't want to do anything about CT, that's fine, they can leave'em in the game untouched if you will....BUT, for the love of God, give users alternatives like ruling out CUSTOM TACTICS in matchmaking settings!!

    Personally I'd love to play against people who use default settings alone.

    Nonsense, the reason why top managers in world football win so many trophies is because of their tactics.

    Everyone has the ability to tweek custom tactics, until they find one that works for their style of play. E.A. should be matching players with default tactics against custom tactics, so the default tactic player realises he must incorporate a custom tactic.

    Fifa 17 is a competitive game, custom tactics are akin to weapon attachments in COD. Adapt.
  • gs90
    66 posts Park Captain
    Retro_G wrote: »
    Nonsense, the reason why top managers in world football win so many trophies is because of their tactics.

    Well, some would argue that a lot of them win cause they got the money to buy the best players... especially managers from European clubs.

    But that has nothing to do with it. This is a software, therefore it's a numbers game. And some parameters can be abused for advantage - as we all know things like high pressure, for instance, makes players behave poorly.

    You could argue that everyone can do it, and I wouldn't disagree, but I think it makes the game somewhat boring cause everyone tries the same stuff, be it high pressure, park the bus or sprinting down the flanks during counter attacks.

    Personally, I prefer playing against the teams characteristics, like a strong defensive line Atlético Madrid or a passing game Barcelona
  • Retro_G
    12412 posts Has That Special Something
    gs90 wrote: »
    Retro_G wrote: »
    Nonsense, the reason why top managers in world football win so many trophies is because of their tactics.

    Well, some would argue that a lot of them win cause they got the money to buy the best players... especially managers from European clubs.

    But that has nothing to do with it. This is a software, therefore it's a numbers game. And some parameters can be abused for advantage - as we all know things like high pressure, for instance, makes players behave poorly.

    You could argue that everyone can do it, and I wouldn't disagree, but I think it makes the game somewhat boring cause everyone tries the same stuff, be it high pressure, park the bus or sprinting down the flanks during counter attacks.

    Personally, I prefer playing against the teams characteristics, like a strong defensive line Atlético Madrid or a passing game Barcelona

    I guess that's why Leicester won the EPL last year, with all their money, world class players? No it's tactics man, getting the most out of the players at your disposal. High pressure is easily exploitable with quick passing, leaves loads of gaps.

    I play tiki taka like Barca, sounds like you're blaming custom tactics, how other people play, instead of finding the faults in your own game.
  • Leicester winning the title was once a century event,people should stop using that as an example,other teams had their worst season by their standards,though i agree with latter part a bit,also shielding the ball is OP
  • gs90
    66 posts Park Captain
    Retro_G wrote: »

    I guess that's why Leicester won the EPL last year, with all their money, world class players? No it's tactics man, getting the most out of the players at your disposal. High pressure is easily exploitable with quick passing, leaves loads of gaps.

    Yeah, maybe that´s also why they don´t have United´s trophy cabinet... Or maybe that´s why Chelsea and City were teams that no one born before the 2000´s cared about until someone injected money into their clubs...

    Don´t rush trying to prove your point, you end up contradicting yourself

  • Retro_G
    12412 posts Has That Special Something
    gs90 wrote: »
    Retro_G wrote: »

    I guess that's why Leicester won the EPL last year, with all their money, world class players? No it's tactics man, getting the most out of the players at your disposal. High pressure is easily exploitable with quick passing, leaves loads of gaps.

    Yeah, maybe that´s also why they don´t have United´s trophy cabinet... Or maybe that´s why Chelsea and City were teams that no one born before the 2000´s cared about until someone injected money into their clubs...

    Don´t rush trying to prove your point, you end up contradicting yourself

    Greece, Denmark, Portugal to an extent have all won major tournaments without the best teams on paper. Hundreds of examples over the years man, the main reason the underdog wins is because of good managerial tactics.

    Again, stop looking for reasons as to why your opponents are winning, find the faults in your own game. Express yourself as an individual on the pitch, experiment with different tactics until you find one that works for your style of play.
  • FallXFire
    126 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    N4p0l3onic wrote: »
    If anything attacking has always been overpowered in any football games to this date

    Defensive AI is too assisted in FIFA17.. does all the work don't agree.
    N4p0l3onic wrote: »
    If anything attacking has always been overpowered in any football games to this date

    Defensive AI is too assisted in FIFA17.. does all the work don't agree.

    Ditto. The defensive AI is so good even amateur level AI and bad players can defend against good dribblers. It is broken and and unforgivably stupid how worthless dribbling is for anything but keeping possession and hoping your opponent is dumb enough to drag the defensive AI, that is a better defender than most people under D5, out of position.

    Completely dumb and getting really sick of the same games every time where all I can do is pass and never dribble. Sorry but dribbling is by far the most fun part of this game and without it feels like a crappy ghost of what it was. Time to go try PES 17!
  • gs90
    66 posts Park Captain
    Haha, man, you´re impossible. Did I ever say my opponents are winning? I said the game has a lot of issues. Fairytale stories don´t happen all the time, and even your examples don´t add up.

    Denmark won the Euro against only 7 other teams, and even then they had good players like Schmeichel and Laudrup. Greece probably won the only thing they ever will in the lamest Euro of all times. Portugal almost got knocked out of the Euro in a group that had Iceland, Hungary and Austria, and if it weren´t for Griezmann not being able to score a single penalty in his life or that 3rd place ****, we wouldn´t even be discussing this. And you´re bringing up national football, where most managers claim to not have the time they wished to build their teams.

    Even Leicester you claimed to be a good example had a huge cash boost so they could survive the Premier League. And save your breath remembering Porto´s 03-04 CL, cause there´s a reason this is the only final you´re gonna remember for the last 30 years.

    In reality, bad management can do more harm than great management can do good. And a lot of times, man management is more important than tactical. And the way the game is setup overrates this importance, providing people with a way to exploit it. I don´t even care that much about online caus I prefer career mode. But it sure sucks to play the same matches over and over again.


  • Retro_G
    12412 posts Has That Special Something
    gs90 wrote: »
    Haha, man, you´re impossible. Did I ever say my opponents are winning? I said the game has a lot of issues. Fairytale stories don´t happen all the time, and even your examples don´t add up.

    Denmark won the Euro against only 7 other teams, and even then they had good players like Schmeichel and Laudrup. Greece probably won the only thing they ever will in the lamest Euro of all times. Portugal almost got knocked out of the Euro in a group that had Iceland, Hungary and Austria, and if it weren´t for Griezmann not being able to score a single penalty in his life or that 3rd place ****, we wouldn´t even be discussing this. And you´re bringing up national football, where most managers claim to not have the time they wished to build their teams.

    Even Leicester you claimed to be a good example had a huge cash boost so they could survive the Premier League. And save your breath remembering Porto´s 03-04 CL, cause there´s a reason this is the only final you´re gonna remember for the last 30 years.

    In reality, bad management can do more harm than great management can do good. And a lot of times, man management is more important than tactical. And the way the game is setup overrates this importance, providing people with a way to exploit it. I don´t even care that much about online caus I prefer career mode. But it sure sucks to play the same matches over and over again.


    The reason I brought up international managers, is because it shows how important a good manager, tactics are when it comes to world football. It's the reason many great England teams haven't won anything since 1966.

    You can have the best players in the world, but it will mean nothing, without the correct tactics, manager. Look at how many great Spainish teams underachieved over the years at major tournaments.

    Every game doesn't play the same in Fifa 17, come against different styles, tactics all the time. Maybe it's the skill level you're playing at that's giving you this illusion.
  • gs90
    66 posts Park Captain
    Was wondering what took so long to bring up England. So every manager they had in the last 50 years were all uselless? Really? Doesn´t have anything to do with them not being as good as they think they are? Or the fact that pretty almost every star player on the Premier League isn´t English?
    Or the fact that pretty much all of the best English players aren´t/weren´t even the main players on their own clubs?´Or simply cause they fought better teams? Cause all I can see when I look at England is a country who could only win a world cup on their home turf. The same when I look at Spain and see a country that had it´s golden generation win a world cup in 2010 cause South Africa surely wasn´t taking that one.

    Been playing this game for over two decades man... got to div 1 easily the last few years. If you thinking bragging proves your point, I know what I´m talking about. Also knew a few coaches, and I tell you, they know they do some of their best work when they´re not trying to do too much. Not saying tactics aren´t important, just that the game doesn´t mirror reality in this aspect. I really doubt a guy like Guardiola could go to the worst second division team, choose a player and say: you´re a forward? Oh, let´s play you as a defensive midfielder and see how it goes. Having the best $50 mil players at your disposal sure as hell makes it a lot easier. Not saying he´s a bad coach, but I wouldn´t call managing Barcelona, Bayern, or Man City with all that money at your disposal a challenge. And it sure takes at least the same amount of man management, if not more.

    I think tactics should have an influence, but the way the game was set up this year, it´s too much. For instance, I´ve never seen a team sitting on their **** a whole match get that much possession and counter attacks as you can get playing park the bus. Or you can cripple an opposing player just by having a lot of players around and he starts behaving like he´s knee deep in mud.
  • lordCriper
    278 posts Sunday League Hero
    Retro_G wrote: »
    gs90 wrote: »
    Haha, man, you´re impossible. Did I ever say my opponents are winning? I said the game has a lot of issues. Fairytale stories don´t happen all the time, and even your examples don´t add up.

    Denmark won the Euro against only 7 other teams, and even then they had good players like Schmeichel and Laudrup. Greece probably won the only thing they ever will in the lamest Euro of all times. Portugal almost got knocked out of the Euro in a group that had Iceland, Hungary and Austria, and if it weren´t for Griezmann not being able to score a single penalty in his life or that 3rd place ****, we wouldn´t even be discussing this. And you´re bringing up national football, where most managers claim to not have the time they wished to build their teams.

    Even Leicester you claimed to be a good example had a huge cash boost so they could survive the Premier League. And save your breath remembering Porto´s 03-04 CL, cause there´s a reason this is the only final you´re gonna remember for the last 30 years.

    In reality, bad management can do more harm than great management can do good. And a lot of times, man management is more important than tactical. And the way the game is setup overrates this importance, providing people with a way to exploit it. I don´t even care that much about online caus I prefer career mode. But it sure sucks to play the same matches over and over again.


    The reason I brought up international managers, is because it shows how important a good manager, tactics are when it comes to world football. It's the reason many great England teams haven't won anything since 1966.

    You can have the best players in the world, but it will mean nothing, without the correct tactics, manager. Look at how many great Spainish teams underachieved over the years at major tournaments.

    Every game doesn't play the same in Fifa 17, come against different styles, tactics all the time. Maybe it's the skill level you're playing at that's giving you this illusion.

    You are forgetting that real life football is something different entirely than Fifa. Fifa is a game, and it's not even a simulation of the real thing, regardless what how much EA claims or wants it to be.

    The fact custom tactics alters the amount of control your opponent have over their players physical movement says a lot. And it's no surprise the game can't handle it when you think about how many thousand possible different slider settings there is.
    And therein lies the core problem with it, the sheer volume of different instruction the gameengine have to interpret.
  • Amicus83
    476 posts Sunday League Hero
    Well put @lordCriper
  • Retro_G
    12412 posts Has That Special Something
    gs90 wrote: »
    Was wondering what took so long to bring up England. So every manager they had in the last 50 years were all uselless? Really? Doesn´t have anything to do with them not being as good as they think they are? Or the fact that pretty almost every star player on the Premier League isn´t English?
    Or the fact that pretty much all of the best English players aren´t/weren´t even the main players on their own clubs?´Or simply cause they fought better teams? Cause all I can see when I look at England is a country who could only win a world cup on their home turf. The same when I look at Spain and see a country that had it´s golden generation win a world cup in 2010 cause South Africa surely wasn´t taking that one.

    Been playing this game for over two decades man... got to div 1 easily the last few years. If you thinking bragging proves your point, I know what I´m talking about. Also knew a few coaches, and I tell you, they know they do some of their best work when they´re not trying to do too much. Not saying tactics aren´t important, just that the game doesn´t mirror reality in this aspect. I really doubt a guy like Guardiola could go to the worst second division team, choose a player and say: you´re a forward? Oh, let´s play you as a defensive midfielder and see how it goes. Having the best $50 mil players at your disposal sure as hell makes it a lot easier. Not saying he´s a bad coach, but I wouldn´t call managing Barcelona, Bayern, or Man City with all that money at your disposal a challenge. And it sure takes at least the same amount of man management, if not more.

    I think tactics should have an influence, but the way the game was set up this year, it´s too much. For instance, I´ve never seen a team sitting on their **** a whole match get that much possession and counter attacks as you can get playing park the bus. Or you can cripple an opposing player just by having a lot of players around and he starts behaving like he´s knee deep in mud.

    I wouldn't matter what team Guardiola managed, he would still have his players believing in his philosophy. The same way Arsene Wenger would have any of his teams playing attractive football.

    Managerial tactics have been evolving since football began, they've a huge impact on how a team plays. You keep bringing money up, but back in 1888 that wasn't an issue. William Sudell, his Preston North End became known as the invincibles, went unbeaten. It was this man who started it all, with a peculiar 2-3-5 formation that brought him, his team success, others soon followed suit. This system dominated football up until 1925 when the offside rule was changed.

    Even modern tactics such as the gengepress, tiki taka, etc are evolutions of earlier tactics. You remove tactics from Fifa, it because a soulless game. They should be thinking of ways to improve tactics in the future, not removing them to compress the skill gap and because some people can't/don't want to adapt.
  • Retro_G
    12412 posts Has That Special Something
    lordCriper wrote: »
    Retro_G wrote: »
    gs90 wrote: »
    Haha, man, you´re impossible. Did I ever say my opponents are winning? I said the game has a lot of issues. Fairytale stories don´t happen all the time, and even your examples don´t add up.

    Denmark won the Euro against only 7 other teams, and even then they had good players like Schmeichel and Laudrup. Greece probably won the only thing they ever will in the lamest Euro of all times. Portugal almost got knocked out of the Euro in a group that had Iceland, Hungary and Austria, and if it weren´t for Griezmann not being able to score a single penalty in his life or that 3rd place ****, we wouldn´t even be discussing this. And you´re bringing up national football, where most managers claim to not have the time they wished to build their teams.

    Even Leicester you claimed to be a good example had a huge cash boost so they could survive the Premier League. And save your breath remembering Porto´s 03-04 CL, cause there´s a reason this is the only final you´re gonna remember for the last 30 years.

    In reality, bad management can do more harm than great management can do good. And a lot of times, man management is more important than tactical. And the way the game is setup overrates this importance, providing people with a way to exploit it. I don´t even care that much about online caus I prefer career mode. But it sure sucks to play the same matches over and over again.


    The reason I brought up international managers, is because it shows how important a good manager, tactics are when it comes to world football. It's the reason many great England teams haven't won anything since 1966.

    You can have the best players in the world, but it will mean nothing, without the correct tactics, manager. Look at how many great Spainish teams underachieved over the years at major tournaments.

    Every game doesn't play the same in Fifa 17, come against different styles, tactics all the time. Maybe it's the skill level you're playing at that's giving you this illusion.

    You are forgetting that real life football is something different entirely than Fifa. Fifa is a game, and it's not even a simulation of the real thing, regardless what how much EA claims or wants it to be.

    The fact custom tactics alters the amount of control your opponent have over their players physical movement says a lot. And it's no surprise the game can't handle it when you think about how many thousand possible different slider settings there is.
    And therein lies the core problem with it, the sheer volume of different instruction the gameengine have to interpret.

    Fifa aims to be a simulation, whether it's or not is irrelevant. Custom tactics are available to everyone, the tools are at your disposal. You've no idea how powerful the Frostbite engine is, if you believe it can't handle a few thousand algorithms. Have you ever played a BF game?
13
Sign In or Register to comment.