Brilliant this year

Amicus83
477 posts Sunday League Hero
edited November 2016
FIFA is back, I've only played a few matches so far & it already feels like a really fluid game, having seemlingy ironed out many of the little flaws that hampered 15 & 16. It's also nice to see some new controls being added in, including the corner kick mechanic which offers more flexibility and directed chances being created. I get a sense that the game by and large went through an overhaul and many of the existing mechanics have been fine tuned, making this a really playable Fifa game & overall refreshing.
While Fifa remains the dominant football sim, Konami/PES have made further improvements in gameplay & worked on A.I mechanics, increased game modes/competitions, have some really nice player faces & more detailed & realistic stadium/match intros.
They are however still lagging behind in online play and lighting, but these aren't game-breakers either. What's their slogan, "the pitch is ours"? This statement does have some vailidity this year, although fifa 17 is still the better packaged deal & outplays PES overall.

Post edited by Amicus83 on

Comments

• Cthulhu81
    49 posts Park Captain
    Definitely agreed. I feel it's really good, the balance between pace and physicality, the flow of the play, it's just.. right :)

And to all of you guys who say there is slow responsiveness, just give it some time, and try to set up your chances when you have space, kinda, ya know, like real football : P

All in all, awesome work! Don't change anything!
  • IISTUII
    22 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I agree, I really enjoy the pace etc, just wish i'd get more fouls from the AI. I may get one a match if I'm lucky
  • nixdrauf
    276 posts Sunday League Hero
    real good balance

should stay like this
  • jjara
    63 posts Park Captain
    I am thoroughly enjoying the game so far. The improvement in defensive positioning has made me feel invincible when the opposition only attacks one dimensional/
    i am missing a lot of simple goals but also scoring some very realistic, fantastic goals.
    i have a modest team in FUT and I am doing very well unlike my experience with past years of FUT.
  • PRF76
    27 posts Last Pick at the Park

you can not analyze further, there is confirmation that the game is faster in Xone and slower PC, I imagine they are different codes, this will all be equipped after the release of the first patch. And we know what can happen.... At the moment, I can only say that the changes between FIFA15/FIFA16 and FIFA17 are few, only a new look and the old gameplay with limitations. When was the last time you could dribble a goalkeeper in a 1x1 move? FIFA does not represent the reality of football. At the moment, the best football game of the year is PES2017, and I do not play PES since 2013, but I have to admit, Konami did a great job, too bad it only works in offline mode for now, otherwise it would be the end for the FIFA...
  • Retro_G
    14560 posts Has That Special Something
    Agreed, having a blast. :)
  • Nas-Escobar
    76 posts Park Captain
    You play a few games and you've made a complete assessment of the game?

After one month or two of playing it, when you start coming across all the **** / exploits online and realize how poor / easy AI is Legendary; you'll release, new year, different FIFA, same old ****! :/
  • **** game
  • vwa
    10 posts Ball Boy
    You play a few games and you've made a complete assessment of the game?

After one month or two of playing it, when you start coming across all the **** / exploits online and realize how poor / easy AI is Legendary; you'll release, new year, different FIFA, same old ****! :/

This.
  • Hugo_TT
    913 posts Professional
    I think we all agree that the gameplay is really nice.

But, unfortunately, EA dont care. They will patch.
  • Amicus83
    Hugo_TT wrote: »
    I think we all agree that the gameplay is really nice.

But, unfortunately, EA dont care. They will patch.

I thought about that when I wrote it, it is pretty conclusive but more to reflect the initial polished feel this game has compared to the time I had with 16. I'm sure, as many of you remember there seemed to be a pace issue playing online with the previous fifa that plagued the experience. It was a kind of "hit & miss" scenario but many matches seemed to run what could be described as partially scripted to compensate for missing elements perhaps and this dominated over team set-up as well. It became really disappointing and I put 16 on the shelf 3 months into the season, playing the occasional round of career instead.

I think EA do care and every year they try to deliver a really high quality product to all their fans and stakeholders. There are countless factors that must be considered and I believe they do a great job at encompassing all the important finer and bulk elements to come up with a great footy game year after year. I have yet to find any notable faults with this game which I'm sure there will be few if any.
  • SoundersAllDay
    1482 posts Play-Off Hero
    There are a lot of issues with the game.
  • Amicus83
    I don't doubt it, but for me, I haven't found anything that's particularly annoying or kills the enjoyment so far. The first impression has been a good one.

What are some of the issues?
  • Crow
    135 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited September 2016
    Be interested in what people say after a few days. I had stuck with Fifa since 08 but this year went to pes. Still learning it but it feels like football, I only play offline so I'm OK. With all the option files it looks brilliant. I'll still keep an eye on Fifa but it would have to go some to match the gameplay and variety of scoring goals in pes.
  • SnowFlake14
    752 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Crow wrote: »
    Be interested in what people say after a few days. I had stuck with Fifa since 08 but this year went to pes. Still learning it but it feels like football, I only play offline so I'm OK. With all the option files it looks brilliant. I'll still keep an eye on Fifa but it would have to go some to match the gameplay and variety of scoring goals in pes.

The thing is PES is just a offline game online its terrible Myclub does not even come close to UT i regret buying PES17 this year should of just waited for FIFA
  • Amicus83
    Amongst other things, I've been reading a lot on complaints about pace, it's either too slow or too fast (ping-pong), the defence is too hard now, the game is lagging and the legendary difficulty is too easy.
  • Squanch
    115 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    There are a lot of issues with the game.

There's always going to be some issues with a game, especially an annual title. That's where patches come in and EA's patch game has been appalling for a few years now. If - like this game is already- it's a vast improvement on previous years then it'll definitely be the best fifa for 5 years, right now it feels like it is but I'm concerned about the next few months.

As far as pacing 'issues' go, I'm at the point where I feel 99% of the time it's a player issue and not the game. If you get two players who go 100mph in a game then it's going to feel off, or if you get sucked into the other player playing stupidly quick like I have a couple of games already then that's an issue you can consciously avoid by being more patient.

I think one thing I'd have really like to have seen, and it may well have help even out the people who try to 'cheat' every fifa with specific tactics, was an introduction of more in depth tactical options. The sliders in custom tactics have been around for a few years now and whilst really simple they do feel you're shoehorned in to either a really conservative style or an incredibly aggressive one. It would have been nice for EA to have introduced some things - based off real coaching - where you have to assign trigger points for pressing. For example in Gegenpressing the idea is to control the opposition CB's and manipulate them into giving a specific fullback (the weaker one) the ball which then triggers a full-press on that fullback to win the ball back.
    You could have made it so that you assign the trigger to a certain opposition player so RB,RCB,LCB,LB etc that triggers the full press. That would mean you could be more economical with how you go about doing stuff like that as opposed to the constant swarm you get at the moment.
  • Squanch
    For the sake of balance I would say I'm already starting to notice an issue with online play. I've lost count of the amount of people I faced today who appear to be adopting a ultra defensive tactic coupled with a forward and midfield ultra high press. In previous years I'd get round that no problem but - as I think I've stated elsewhere - because tackling is arguably OP (especially with the over lenient refs this year) it's incredibly tedious trying to get past that without having to resort to ping pong passing especially when you try to exploit the gap between DEF and CM yet find yourself repetitively getting fouled with no decision being given.
  • Amicus83
    Thanks for elaborating.
  • indomabilis
    23 posts Last Pick at the Park
    I agree. FIFA 17 is a pretty good game, not perfect though. It's got plenty of flaws that I'm sure EA will fix in the days ahead. My concern as of now is that they'll cave in into the community's complaints and ruin the fun.
  • BRISTOL86
    6256 posts Big Money Move
    Plenty of issues but I feel it's a step in the right direction (away from the complete arcade nonsense of 16)
  • Nas-Escobar
    76 posts Park Captain
    I agree. FIFA 17 is a pretty good game, not perfect though. It's got plenty of flaws that I'm sure EA will fix in the days ahead. My concern as of now is that they'll cave in into the community's complaints and ruin the fun.

Rhetorical question.

If EA is working on yearly titles for an entire year or 10 months, how on earth does every single yearly game, is released with so many flaws or bugs or exploits? :/
  • indomabilis
    23 posts Last Pick at the Park
    Rhetorical question.

If EA is working on yearly titles for an entire year or 10 months, how on earth does every single yearly game, is released with so many flaws or bugs or exploits? :/

It'd help your case had you highlighted the problems that are a bothersome to you, perhaps is not the game, but the way you approach it?

Exactly what flaws, bugs and exploits bother you the most?

• Squanch
    edited October 2016

Rhetorical question.

Because it's a yearly title? If Rockstar struggles even despite 5 years of development then EA are going struggle with a time frame of 8 months of actual development.

The more I play online the more I feel there does need to be some sort of patch, maybe to nerf tackling in particular.

As I alluded to earlier it's a clear exploit already for some players to have an attack that's ultra high pressing and a defence that is permanently parked on the 18 yard line whenever you get the ball back. That means there's a lovely amount of space in midfield, you can't exploit it though because tackling is so OP online that it renders any sort of dribbling useless because they take the ball 99 times out of 100.

It's frustrating because of that. Losing I don't care about, especially as I quite like the fluidity of the attacking play (even when I'm on the receiving end) when it's good it's just that tactic already is almost a gamebreaker, especially when you add that on top of lenient refereeing.

I'm not totally sure but I think FIFA 12 had a similar problem with tackling being way too effective, they patched it and it improved the game. I'm hoping it's at least looked at because it's removed any sort of ability to use skill in 1v1's.
  • Iffybhai
    It's very good this year and yes there will always be plenty of flaws. Why? Because If EA make the perfect football simulation then why would we buy the following year? We can always expect subtle changes each year to keep us going. Many will moan but the majority like me enjoy the updates, new players, kits etc. I will continue to buy this each year. Good job EA in Fifa 17.
  • Amicus83
    edited October 2016
    I remember last year, there were many issues players had with the game, it was more the opposite, the defence was too weak and attackers would be able to charge through too easily & when that wasn't the problem there was the matter of the game being ultra speedy (seasons) and not reflective of the settings chosen by the player. I've also been reading a lot about legendary being too easy for players in career. Players can do wing cut ins and score easily etc. & it's easier than 16.
    personally I'm not great at the game so even world class is hard for me.

I think with career though, it actually changes the difficulty automatically depending on the form of teams etc. so while you've got it on legendary you might actually be playing matches on professional quite often.
    Personally I'm finding 17 pretty enjoyable and it feels much refined compared to 16.
    Post edited by Amicus83 on
  • bravia26s
    297 posts Sunday League Hero
    Fifa 17 is good
    Ping pong is not from the game
    Its from the players who want it to ne
    I like the passing from fifa 17
    Finally i can play with patience
  • Amicus83
    bravia26s wrote: »
    Fifa 17 is good
    Ping pong is not from the game
    Its from the players who want it to ne
    I like the passing from fifa 17
    Finally i can play with patience

Pretty much yea.
  • lordCriper
    305 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited October 2016
    Rhetorical question.

It'd help your case had you highlighted the problems that are a bothersome to you, perhaps is not the game, but the way you approach it?

Exactly what flaws, bugs and exploits bother you the most?

@Escobar I'll bite on this one. :smile: First off, I think 17 have potential to be a very good game. All they need to do is to fix a number of bugs and issues, that have been in every Fifa since at least 12-13.
    Existing old bugs/issues (the one in bold woould improve the game a lot):
    - Manual player switching still not manual, cpu switches for you at random times
    - Referee decisions seems like a lottery still, cpu teams are clearly favoured
    - Custom tactics, specifically high aggression/pressing, still affects the oposing teams abilities. The oponents players becomes unresponsive and laggy, and their footballing abilities are redused to those of a 6 year old. Either fix custom tactics (don't think they can) or disable them in online modes.
    - CPU AI is still pretty much rubbish

Some new stuff I've noticed:
    - Ball physics seems off, especially in rain/wet conditions, where the ball just keeps on rolling. The bounces in wet conditions should be fast, but when the ball settles on the ground should slow the ball down.
    - Passing is overall better, the only gripe I have it doesn't seem to be as important facing the right way. Players executing blind passes with to great precision.
    - On crosses or corners, defenders often seems uncapable of heading the ball one touch, they'd rather chest it down then clear it.
    - Input lag seems to have made it in, also in offline games.

Just some of my observations. In my opinion, if EA could actually fix the existing bugs, that's what would make the game great again. Not a copy/paste footy version of NBA 2Ks MyPlayer mode...

• Amicus83
    I did come across a small issue today, I'm in seasons mode and redeemed an extra game and one draw from the catalogue but no effect. Anyone else had this? That's something Ea should look at. I'm going to try it again later, maybe it was a one-off.