CMS Chat Thread

Comments

• Wyojasond
    11207 posts Has That Special Something
    merry-christmas-****-full-hdtysn9q.gif
  • Kyle
    918 posts Semi-Pro
    Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you all got what you wished for and had a nice relaxing day. I ate an entire loaf of bread so I'm really happy.
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    edited December 2016
    I got what I was hoping for (hint: I bought it myself 'cause Santa texted me saying he was too busy with kids this year) and I must say I'm pretty happy with it: http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-49UH661V (not the very first choice, as it would've been the 750V, but it was the second in the list I had made in two months of reading brochures, reviews and such so it's fair enough).

Now I only need a new PC as the one I'm using doesn't even come close to playing games at 4K in a reasonable fashion. It won't go over 30 fps no-matter-what (old HDMI version on the video card) and fps aren't stable at all. I resorted to playing at 1080p for the moment.

Santa, if you hear me, you know what to bring me next year. :joy:
  • Ashy
    9526 posts League Winner
    ale85bg wrote: »
    I got what I was hoping for (hint: I bought it myself 'cause Santa texted me saying he was too busy with kids this year) and I must say I'm pretty happy with it: http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-49UH661V (not the very first choice, as it would've been the 750V, but it was the second in the list I had made in two months of reading brochures, reviews and such so it's fair enough).

Now I only need a new PC as the one I'm using doesn't even come close to playing games at 4K in a reasonable fashion. It won't go over 30 fps no-matter-what (old HDMI version on the video card) and fps aren't stable at all. I resorted to playing at 1080p for the moment.

I got that exact tv during the Black Friday sales. Think it cost like £400 which is really good since it's 4K, HDR and 43 inch, had no problems with it so far
  • ale85bg
    Ashy wrote: »
    ale85bg wrote: »

I got that exact tv during the Black Friday sales. Think it cost like £400 which is really good since it's 4K, HDR and 43 inch, had no problems with it so far
    Yeah, I also think it behaves pretty good especially when seeing TV. It needs some work to get the colours acceptable on the HDMI inputs, but once done they're also great (I don't know why, it also happened to my old LG TV which I used both as a TV and as a PC monitor).
    The only difference I could spot between this and the 750V is that this doesn't have local dimming on models smaller than 50" while the 750V does (and that's why the 750V was the one I would've preferred to buy as I bought a 49" one) ... Other than that, they look on the same level to me.
  • Wyojasond
    Nice. I'm pretty torn on getting a new Tv or a desktop computer as our next purchase. I want a 60" or bigger TV but the 50" we have now is fine, just not 4K.
  • Ashy
    9526 posts League Winner
    4k seems to be the next big mainstream thing for technology for 2017/18, tv's will only get cheaper but £400 or so is about right for the lower end ones, OLED display and 10 bit HDR will take that up to £1000 but with ps4 pro already able to stream 4k movies, even sports channels showing 4k, and some games in 4k, project scorpio from xbox will be even better, 2017 is going to be good

Oh it looks like Lookman will be joining Everton @Wyojasond in January :o
  • Alastair
    10032 posts Moderator
    edited December 2016
    I remember when everyone was raving when sports matches were shown on TV in 3D and the PS3 could play 3D movies and 3D games. It wouldn't surprise me in 4k suffered a similar fate to 3D by 2020.
  • ale85bg
    edited December 2016
    4k seems to be the next big mainstream thing for technology for 2017/18
    Yeah I was about to say the same.
    It's a little overrated now (hardy anything is broadcasted in 4K on TV, at least here in Italy, and absolutely nothing on the free TV), but I also think it will become a standard in the next 2 to 3 years as Ashy said, like FullHD did some years ago.
    I would've still chosen a FullHD TV, had I decided to go for a 43" (less expensive, and the result wouldn't have changed in terms of perception).
    Yet, seeing that ma'am convinced me to buy a 49" instead (I don't know why women always think that bigger is better), I thought 4K would be better as the couch is not that far from the TV. I must admit that it upscales pretty good to 4K, so even 1080p content looks decent (probably less 'jagged' than it would've looked on a FullHD 49" screen anyway. Yes, I'm pretty sure I would've seen the pixels had I chosen a FullHD TV that big).
  • Ashy
    9526 posts League Winner
    edited December 2016
    Alastair wrote: »
    I remember when everyone was raving when sports matches were shown on TV in 3D and the PS3 could play 3D movies and 3D games. It wouldn't surprise me in 4k suffered a similar fate to 3D by 2020.
    I think 4k is a bit different, it all depends how much people are willing to pay for crisp clear details, we have gone from SD (480p) to HD (720p) to Full HD (1080p) if the mainstream are happy with HD then fair enough but as technology keeps improving so will the quality of games/movies/tv and 4k is that next stage, by 2020 it might be something even better and 4k will be the 720/1080p of now.

3D was never going to work, people don't want to watch tv/movies with those stupid glasses, surprised any movies are still showing stuff in 3D, plus it's not that effective now when we have VR headsets all over the place and that technology will only improve, if anything will die out it will be VR but I hope it doesn't.
  • Greenman019
    2745 posts Fans' Favourite
    And here I am playing on a 1080p 15" laptop screen like a sucker.

Really though what's 4k like? Seems expensive for just the resolution increase. Is it something you'll only notice on a massive screen?
  • Ashy
    9526 posts League Winner

Really though what's 4k like? Seems expensive for just the resolution increase. Is it something you'll only notice on a massive screen?
    I was on a 23 inch 1080p monitor not long ago :p If you put a 4k screen next to a 1080p screen you will notice the difference but the bigger the screen the more you notice it, end of the day it's like 4x the pixels, 1080p looks fine at a 15" screen but on a 40+ not so much especially when you compare to 4k
  • ale85bg
    edited December 2016
    I've been playing on a 1080p 23" TV since 2011 (LG M2380DF which served both as a TV for my bedroom and as a monitor for my PC).
    When I moved in with my fiancee I brought that 23" TV with me, and it became our bedroom's TV (so no PC attached to it anymore, obviously).
    For the living room, I borrowed a pretty old 34" TV from the in-laws (which was HD Ready, not even FullHD) and I played on it until last week. :joy:
    1080p looks fine at a 15" screen but on a 40+ not so much especially when you compare to 4k
    This has been exactly my thought when buying that TV.
  • Wyojasond
    4k seems to be the next big mainstream thing for technology for 2017/18, tv's will only get cheaper but £400 or so is about right for the lower end ones, OLED display and 10 bit HDR will take that up to £1000 but with ps4 pro already able to stream 4k movies, even sports channels showing 4k, and some games in 4k, project scorpio from xbox will be even better, 2017 is going to be good

Oh it looks like Lookman will be joining Everton @Wyojasond in January :o

:s No!!! Anywhere but there!
  • Wyojasond
    I just lost all my slider settings. It's like my game crashed and erased all my profile settings. My game saves are still there, but all the crap I turned off like the 3D map and the trainer are back on and my slider settings are back to 50 on everything. Anyway to get that all back. Felt like I finally had them perfect. Damnit! :s
  • JamieC
    796 posts Semi-Pro

:s No!!! Anywhere but there!

Mwhaha! :naughty:

Still, £10M for a league one player, how long before it becomes normal in the lower leagues?
  • Alastair
    10032 posts Moderator
    Here's a litte teaser of a graphic @ale85bg has made for something we've been working on and I hope to post tonight. I think you'll all enjoy it. ;)
    1dced50419b324e61febcc9b61ff8c94.png
  • Ashy
    9526 posts League Winner
    CMS awards 6th January
  • Wyojasond
    I was wondering if we were gonna get a mid season awards show again. B)
  • Ashy
    9526 posts League Winner
    Only thing that might need changing on the graphic is it saying FIFA 17 because it looks like 16 ;)
  • Alastair
    10032 posts Moderator
    Only thing that might need changing on the graphic is it saying FIFA 17 because it looks like 16 ;)

Or it could say 2016 ;)
  • Wyojasond
    Gotta say, a bit surprised nobody has done an Alex Hunter story yet this year. Had expected a ton of them to be honest.
  • JamieC
    796 posts Semi-Pro
    Gotta say, a bit surprised nobody has done an Alex Hunter story yet this year. Had expected a ton of them to be honest.

I think once people learned that it was only one season, they couldn't be bothered.
  • Greenman019
    JamieC wrote: »

I think once people learned that it was only one season, they couldn't be bothered.

And just how badly scripted it was in reaction to the players action.

"So this Hunter guy is averaging 10 goals a game. Better loan him out"
  • JamieC
    796 posts Semi-Pro
    JamieC wrote: »

And just how badly scripted it was in reaction to the players action.

"So this Hunter guy is averaging 10 goals a game. Better loan him out"

They were obviously hoping we would be like Federico Macheda once we made our debut :joy:
  • Alastair
    10032 posts Moderator
    Happy new year everyone. :)

For @Wyojasond and anyone else still in 2016:
    raw
  • Greenman019
    Happy new year all.
  • LaMertesackerRun
    6214 posts Big Money Move
    Happy new year guys.
  • JamieC