The Ultimate Targetman Guide

Comments

• bjornheisenberg
    3714 posts National Call-Up
    His inform is a steal at under 20k...
  • U THILLY GOOTH!
    380 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited April 2017
    So I picked up 86 Benteke this week and this week discovered what the Targetman instructions actually do. Lol ... I play 4-4-2 with a small quicker striker (OTW Jesus) now, and I'm not sure how to integrate everything.

I'll pass up to Benteke to hold up play from a CM, and usually end up playing it back to the CM as the buildup moves upfield, but then it seems like Benteke won't move on towards goal like I'd expect unless I trigger a run but he'll move back further in the midfield to take a back pass from the CM. What should I be doing here... it seems like I have the first step right in holding up, and occasionally I can lay it off to a winger or other striker but that's not the norm it seems.

My instructions are stay central , target man
    And get in behind , press backline on other

• YNWA1994NV
    1165 posts Professional
    So I picked up 86 Benteke this week and this week discovered what the Targetman instructions actually do. Lol ... I play 4-4-2 with a small quicker striker (OTW Jesus) now, and I'm not sure how to integrate everything.

I'll pass up to Benteke to hold up play from a CM, and usually end up playing it back to the CM as the buildup moves upfield, but then it seems like Benteke won't move on towards goal like I'd expect unless I trigger a run but he'll move back further in the midfield to take a back pass from the CM. What should I be doing here... it seems like I have the first step right in holding up, and occasionally I can lay it off to a winger or other striker but that's not the norm it seems.

My instructions are stay central , target man
    And get in behind , press backline on other

Set Benteke just like you have him, but also on press back line. It'll make it so he gets himself further up the pitch more often. I use 86 Modeste as a lone ST and have him on balanced attack, stay central, and press back line. Guy scores like it's his job.
  • Bilbao_Baggins
    3938 posts National Call-Up
    Dzyuba1979 wrote: »
    Clancy wrote: »
    is this the first time I've discovered this thread? surprising as I've been playing 5221 crossing based game all year

there's no target man on game like benteke IMO, maybe when Modeste TOTS comes out it will rival benteke's IFs

the 87 benteke is tearing it up in WL for me. highly recommend him to anyone

eidTIjJ.png

What CTs and instructions do you use mate?

Also interested @Clancy
  • Clancy
    7756 posts League Winner
    is this the first time I've discovered this thread? surprising as I've been playing 5221 crossing based game all year

there's no target man on game like benteke IMO, maybe when Modeste TOTS comes out it will rival benteke's IFs

eidTIjJ.png

Also interested @Clancy

I don't use CTs

instructions are;

striker; get in behind, press back line (I don't like stay central for striker, actually think it limits striker getting into near/far post positions which are some of the best to cross)

LW/RW; cut inside, stay forward, get in behind, press back line (I want wingers cutting in not staying wide, so the opposite winger is in position for far post triple cross on the break)

CMs; defauly

RWB/LWB; always overlap
  • Bilbao_Baggins

eidTIjJ.png

Also interested @Clancy

I don't use CTs

instructions are;

striker; get in behind, press back line (I don't like stay central for striker, actually think it limits striker getting into near/far post positions which are some of the best to cross)

LW/RW; cut inside, stay forward, get in behind, press back line (I want wingers cutting in not staying wide, so the opposite winger is in position for far post triple cross on the break)

CMs; defauly

RWB/LWB; always overlap

Thanks for that mate. i think i am going to sell up soon and have another crack with a big guy up top always done well in previous fifas like that.
  • YNWA1994NV
    1165 posts Professional
    Anyone tried 85 Belotti has a target man? Does he work? Or, at 5'11" is he too short... Been using Modeste and Kane who aren't the tallest but are bigger than Belotti.

The thought is that Belotti's TOTS should be semi-cheap... And could be an absolute monster.
  • DSD27
    5699 posts Big Money Move
  • bjornheisenberg
    Mario still banging them in for me.
    Absolute beast.
    Adding filipe luis as left back replacing sandro has helped too.
  • bjornheisenberg
    Also big mention for giroud IF in my other fitness side.
  • DSD27
    http://plays.tv/video/58fc2090c62d42c664 Liking the early cross trait more every day.
  • DSD27
    DSD27 wrote: »
    http://plays.tv/video/58fc2090c62d42c664 Liking the early cross trait more every day.

IF Plattenhardt's early crosses are almost an exploit. Eearly cross trait, 91 crossing, 88 curve. I can't believe I didn't find me sooner.

http://plays.tv/video/58fd2b8276610742ee

http://plays.tv/video/58fd6e0111fc006e67

Gomez banging http://plays.tv/video/58fd6b48bdcca21ba8
  • Bilbao_Baggins
    So I have picked up 89 Thiago today reckon i am better playing him at Cam or Cm?? Going to have either If Gomez up top or Sif Modeste.
  • bjornheisenberg
    Got IF baines for my pl fitness side.....

wlll look at plattenhard but could be difficult replacing filipe luis plus id have to lower the back line quality to fit him in.
    not sure its a wise move.
  • Bilbao_Baggins
    http://www.futwiz.com/en/fifa17/squad/1599931

How can i finish this Targetman team?? Ta
  • Zahmzan
    83 posts Park Captain
    http://www.futwiz.com/en/fifa17/squad/1599931

How can i finish this Targetman team?? Ta

Inaki Williams (RM)
    Iborra (CDM)

and then its up to you
  • bjornheisenberg
    If your gonna play a passing game to get crosses id consider iago falque..1st time cross trait.

mallo TOTK rb..
  • Bilbao_Baggins
    If your gonna play a passing game to get crosses id consider iago falque..1st time cross trait.

mallo TOTK rb..

Good thinking witj TOTK Mallo matey! Sold Thiago now felt he was in it at expense of some player so changed him to 89 Isco.

Going to put a Casemiro or Iborra variant in.
  • Bilbao_Baggins
    Mario still banging them in for me.
    Absolute beast.
    Adding filipe luis as left back replacing sandro has helped too.

Out of interest are you using any CTs ?? Player instructions??
    @bjornheisenberg
  • Bilbao_Baggins
    edited April 2017
    Andy87 wrote: »
    SJR440 wrote: »
    Great to see this thread active again!

It's a while since I've been in here and it's even longer since I used a target man tactic/team also.

What would you guys say are the best formations for this play style since the recent updates? :smile:

For me its always 4231(2).
    Basically for target-man you want 1 striker formations with wingers (RM/LM or RW/LW).

@Feurez @Andy87 I have way more than 1M coins, and this is my Bundesliga squad:

35UVpeY.png

Best players for each position in the league for me, I have other squad but If I have the coins I may upgrade Robben to his SIF, hope Gomez gets an IF, and thats it. I use Rofriguez instead of Alaba only for his longthrow :p

Do you use any player instructions or custom tactics? I might change to 4231 (2) because I don't really seem to be able to work with 433 formations.

It's a while since I've been in here and it's even longer since I used a target man tactic/team also.

What would you guys say are the best formations for this play style since the recent updates? :smile:

Basically for target-man you want 1 striker formations with wingers (RM/LM or RW/LW).

35UVpeY.png

Best players for each position in the league for me, I have other squad but If I have the coins I may upgrade Robben to his SIF, hope Gomez gets an IF, and thats it. I use Rofriguez instead of Alaba only for his longthrow :p

@DSD27 Think I saw your custom instructions and general set up on the previous page man - are those still working for you after the recent patch then? :)

yes :) I sometimes change a thing or thow but its basically the same.

Gomez - Stay central, get in behind
    Muller: get into the box for crosses, come back when defending, free roam
    Ribery: Cut inside, stay at the edge of the box
    Robben: Cut inside, get in behind
    Latza: cut passing lines
    Gustavo: Stay back
    Piszczek: always overlap
    rest default

org

org

cover

Do you do a lot of short passing build up??
    @DSD27
  • bjornheisenberg
    I put him on targetman and draxler on false 9...converted him to a striker.

have passing at 30.
    pressure lowish.
    di maria and costa wide get in behind stay wide.
    but thats mainly to be able to mix it up.

fbs stay back but i get them involved manually.

2cdms who never stay back lol
  • Slawter
    3855 posts National Call-Up
    Ayyy this thread is back.
    c104241a4c3844a06bded295129c3f7d.png
  • Bilbao_Baggins
    I put him on targetman and draxler on false 9...converted him to a striker.

have passing at 30.
    pressure lowish.
    di maria and costa wide get in behind stay wide.
    but thats mainly to be able to mix it up.

fbs stay back but i get them involved manually.

2cdms who never stay back lol

Haha i know about the cdms that never stay back :D . As for fullback positions i do the same so easy to make them.involved anyway.

I was mainly interested in the passing and attacking CTs
  • MiIan
    12401 posts Has That Special Something
    KingDutch wrote: »
    TIF Immobile. Enough said.

:joy: He is not a target-man. I think even the name speaks for itself.

You got to be kidding me :joy:
  • MiIan
    12401 posts Has That Special Something
    Slawter wrote: »

Impressive.
  • juniorcbr
    7744 posts League Winner
    Slawter wrote: »

Nice work @Slawter !
  • DSD27
    Andy87 wrote: »

35UVpeY.png

Do you use any player instructions or custom tactics? I might change to 4231 (2) because I don't really seem to be able to work with 433 formations.

35UVpeY.png

@DSD27 Think I saw your custom instructions and general set up on the previous page man - are those still working for you after the recent patch then? :)

yes :) I sometimes change a thing or thow but its basically the same.

Gomez - Stay central, get in behind
    Muller: get into the box for crosses, come back when defending, free roam
    Ribery: Cut inside, stay at the edge of the box
    Robben: Cut inside, get in behind
    Latza: cut passing lines
    Gustavo: Stay back
    Piszczek: always overlap
    rest default

org

org

cover

Do you do a lot of short passing build up??
    @DSD27

yes, mainly.
  • LennySUFC
    437 posts Sunday League Hero
    I am thinking of using a target man in a 4411, but I am unsure whether to play him ST or CF? There are pro's and cons for both...
    Who would you recommend for around 250k? Looking at probably having Ibra?

Thanks guys
  • Antparry92
    17691 posts World Class
    Any of you used MLS targetmen? Have tried Drogba and Kei Kamara so far. Both decent but both are shocking dribbling
  • Littleland95
    16922 posts Moderator
    LennySUFC wrote: »
    I am thinking of using a target man in a 4411, but I am unsure whether to play him ST or CF? There are pro's and cons for both...
    Who would you recommend for around 250k? Looking at probably having Ibra?

Thanks guys

Shearer is working well for me if you're on Xbox One. Using him as ST.