Forever 18 - A Kasey Keller Story

Comments

• Virtual_K
    1336 posts Professional
    Nice cup win over Dallas, so that would make a finals appearance for the Sounders, right? Solid shutout victory over the Rapids, and as far as Keller committing a penalty: it's not what you do, but what you can get away with (motto of millionaire sports athletes everywhere who set great examples for the kids.)

My Old Keller reference may have been a little obscure; it relates to a classic Disney movie Old Yeller with a very sad ending. :'(
  • Chris
    5332 posts Big Money Move
    Not satisfied with a clean sheet? This guys a perfectionist haha
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    edited October 2016
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    it's not what you do, but what you can get away with
    Yeah, not saying that I'm not happy with the result, but in all honesty it should've been a penalty.
    It wouldn't have changed much as the match was already going the right way, but still... I completely mistimed the dive there. Had it happened in another match, maybe on the 0-0, it could've quickly become a problem.
    Chris wrote: »
    Not satisfied with a clean sheet? This guys a perfectionist haha
    I've always thought of Keller as a very professional athlete and a good guy off the pitch, so yeah... I thought a mistake like this could be something he would worry about. :)
  • Greenman019
    2740 posts Fans' Favourite
    Nice turnaround in form these past few games and getting back on track with the clean sheet record. Let's hope it's a sign of things to come and you really manage to put a string of solid results in.
  • ale85bg
    5wIVKKZ.png

I feel nervous today, I feel there's something unwonted, something uncanny in the atmosphere of the locker room when I secure my gloves, yet I cannot put my finger on it.
    Sigi did it again, during an interview he said that he's "positive that the Sounders will defeat Philadelphia with ease to keep this streak of solid results going", I already figure what the Plonkers Army will have to say if we don't.
    Could this be the reason all of my teammates look so worried and tense?

Even as we enter the pitch, the roar of the Emerald City Supporters sounds somehow muffled. We need to stay focused, today more than ever.
    Luckily enough Parke is so, when he faces and stops McInerney who got easily rid of Scott after just a dozen of minutes of play:
    a6uSPs5.png
    The tackle is perfect and Parke can then clear the ball which gets trapped by Evans, who quickly moves it forward to Fucito... One on one with the keeper: missed! Ol' Mike is back, apparently.

During the first half we don't shoot towards their goal again, while they have me perform a couple of good saves: it's always good to keep warm after all, even if it's July.
    And no, even if it's bloody July I'm not replacing my GK pants with a pair of shorts, you can forget it.

The second half starts in a similar fashion: they attack, we try hitting on the counter, Mike's performance is nowhere near acceptable.
    When Sigi brings him off in desperation for Levesque and things upfront get from bad to worse, I understand that we'll probably be lucky if we manage to snatch a 0-0 draw.

Unfortunately, though, Freddy Adu and friends don't think so, and they keep attacking.And attacking. And attacking. Have I already told you that they're attacking now?
    Following a corner for Philadelphia Adu recovers the ball and moves it to Paunovic. Back to Adu, through ball to Miranda... He gets rid of Hurtado, he shoots...
    goD49cX.png
    He scores. 10 minutes left on the clock, we're trailing and we don't look anywhere near being able to equalize.

Indeed, we don't. The match ends 1-0 for Philadelphia.

I think I might drop a line or two to Sigi tomorrow, a couple of suggestions on how to behave with the press before the matches could do him good...
    Let's hope it's a sign of things to come and you really manage to put a string of solid results in.
    Ahem. Sigi, is this you?
  • Greenman019
    I jinxed it :(

Sigi needs to keep his mouth shut though :)
  • Ashy
    7894 posts League Winner
    What is the clean sheet tally so far? And how many games left? :o
  • Chris
    It sounds like they attacked a lot, I imagine you did well to just concede the 1

Shame about the loss overall tho
  • Virtual_K
    1336 posts Professional
    edited October 2016
    Freddy Adu assisted! Maybe this version of the youngest signed MLS player will actually do something with his career. Not sure what's going on with the Sounders offense, maybe Keller has some insights?
    Post edited by Virtual_K on
  • ale85bg
    Sigi needs to keep his mouth shut though :)
    Oh, definitely. :D
    Ashy wrote: »
    What is the clean sheet tally so far? And how many games left? :o
    7 clean sheets so far (5 in the league and 2 in the cup), 3 to go with 11 regular season matches to play and at least a cup fixture (we entered the semifinal if I don't go wrong).
    It sounds like they attacked a lot, I imagine you did well to just concede the 1
    Yeah, some good saves. Indeed I've got the MotM award with a 7.30 rating. The worst have been Ianni (5.30) and Hurtado (5.80: I subbed him in for Ianni and he did a little better but not much apparently).
    Not sure what's going on with the Sounders offense, maybe Keller has some insights?
    Actually Adu assisted Miranda, but he played a very good match anyway.
    About our wonderful attacking form... I believe Fucito needs to stop going out to dance every night and to start focusing a little bit more on the pitch apparently! :joy:

Meanwhile, we've played our last July match against Houston...

5wIVKKZ.png

It's me talking to the guys after the match this time. Sigi screamed and shouted for all the firt half and for half of the second before losing his voice, and he's now completely hoarse.
    "OK guys, it's not the end of the world. We've been defeated, it's true, but we played well after all: we conceded twice from two mistakes. They could've been be avoided, they should've been avoided, but it's useless to cry on the spilled milk now".

The match started in one of the worst ways I've ever witnessed: minute 5, Hurtado completely forgot about Costly, who found himself all alone in the box and scored. A 'Costly' mistake one would say.
    Minute 12, Evans won back a ball with great determination, played it to Montero who went all the way to the goal line on the left, he crossed to Fucito all alone on th far post...
    VlRaybX.png
    Fucito missed it. It was really easier to score than to miss. Yet he awfully missed it. Shortly after it was Evans to try to score the equalizer, but the ball got deflected out for a corner by a defender.

The second half started in a similar way: Costly scored. Again.
    And also the remainder of the half resembled a lot the first half: we had a lot of chances, Fucito missed the vast majority of them. He only managed to score with fifteen minutes left in the match: 2-1!
    Montero once again proved vital for us, as he assisted Mike with yet another wonderful cross.
    And he wasn't done there: in the stoppage time, Rosales played a wonderful cross from the right and Fredy wonderfully onnected with it...
    AeLDhWF.png
    But his header went high over the bar.

It's been the last chance of the match: they won 2-1 and the only thing left to say is "Houston, we've had a problem here".
  • Greenman019
    Costly mistakes indeed. Can hardly believe that picture of the Fucito chance near the end, how can you miss such an open goal >_<

Ah well. So roughly 10 games to go excluding cup games, with 7 already you're well on track I think.
  • ale85bg
    Costly mistakes indeed. Can hardly believe that picture of the Fucito chance near the end, how can you miss such an open goal >_<
    Manual controls at their finest. :s
    Sometimes I still miss opportunities that are really easier to score than to miss. :joy:

• Wyojasond
    8343 posts League Winner
    ale85bg wrote: »
    Manual controls at their finest. :s
    Sometimes I still miss opportunities that are really easier to score than to miss. :joy:

I've turned up the slider on my game for shot accuracy, so there have been a few sitters that have missed big time as well.lol
  • Chris
    Back to back losses... At least your finding some consistency :lol:
  • ale85bg
    I've turned up the slider on my game for shot accuracy, so there have been a few sitters that have missed big time as well.lol
    A good set of sliders can really change the game like night and day: after all, people missing absolute sitters can also be seen in real life so I don't know why shouldn't it happen in FIFA.
    Being honest, I also play London 2012 on a quite regular basis and it shows the input of your left and right analogues when performing th jumps for example: you can't imagine how unaccurate my input was so I know it's me missing those sitters and not the poor Fucito. Still it's good to blame someone else for ou failures.
    :joy:

Back to back losses... At least your finding some consistency :lol:
    Oh, surely we've been consistent lately. Too bad that the 3-0 win against Colorado ruins this beautiful consistence in the 'latest matches' section of the website:

KttRCYr.png

• ale85bg
    5wIVKKZ.png

"Guys, do you really want me to get sacked? Because that's what's gonna happen if you keep playing like this!"
    Sigi is out of himself, rightly so I must say: we controlled the game for almost 70 minutes, then we collapsed. We totally crumbled.
    Alonso used to mitigate the opponents' attacks before they could reach our defenders: now that he's out injured our opponents are free to swarm at our defence each time they want, and that's what they did today.
    We scored first, when a wonderful cross by Fernández found Ochoa free on the near post: his header was unreachable for the keeper. 1-0 to the Sounders!
    Shortlya fter we had the chance to score the 2-0, but Jimmy Nielsen denied it with a wonderful save:
    xfabkin.png
    We kept attacking, but it's them who scored the equalizer with Bunbury at minute 35. He received a through ball that Alonso would've surely intercepted, and he proceeded to ruthlessly slot it in past me. Back to square one, apparently.

The second half started again with things turning in our favour again: Montero received a great ball by Ochoa and scored with a controlled shot on the far post. 2-1, ahead again!

Too bad it didn't last long: minute 71, Bunbury got past Hurtado and Ianni hd to perform a last ditch tackle to stop him. All the stadium was already applauding Pat's brilliant effort, bar the referee. He came running and pointing to the spot: penalty! All our defenders raving didn't make him change idea:
    1qIAdZV.png
    Bravo stepped to the spot, he gently placed the ball on the ground, he began the run-up... And he scored.
    2-2, all balanced again.
    We managed to hold on to the draw until minute 84, when Sapong decided to make fun f our defence as a whole by dribbling Ianni first, then Hurtado, and then powering it home for the 3-2.

Our forcing didn't produce any result from then on, and the final result was 3-2 to Sporting KC: Sigi is now on the brink of being sacked, our next match will be his last occasion.
    We win it, he stays. We don't, and he'll have to find himself another team to manage.
  • Chris
    Shame to lose him, but you should be alright without him
  • Greenman019
    Disappointing collapse.
    Next game is huge now with his job on the line.
  • Virtual_K
    1336 posts Professional
    edited October 2016
    The defense has really let Sigi down in that last match. With Fucito picking up an injury, maybe he should look to pick up another striker before the window closes. I heard there's an American playing in England that might be available if the money is right; think his name is Cliff Dempsey something or other. :p
    Post edited by Virtual_K on
  • Wyojasond
    8343 posts League Winner
    Oh man, the pressure for that next game :#
  • ale85bg
    Shame to lose him, but you should be alright without him
    Do you mean Alonso or Sigi? :joy:
    Alonso will hopefully be back at least on the bench for the next match... Sigi, who knows. :p
    Next game is huge now with his job on the line.
    Oh man, the pressure for that next game :#
    Yeah, next match is going to be crucial. It will be one of those 'do or die' moments...
    With Fucito picking up an injury, maybe he should look to pick up another striker before the window closes.
    Dempsey would be a huge signing, but I don't know if he'll ever join the Sounde...oh wait.
    Realistically speaking, he's out of reach financially at the moment, we cannot afford him. Plus we still have Ochoa and Levesque (plus Fucito when he comes back from the injury) for a single striker spot.
    I'll probably try and buy another central back before thinking about buying a striker.
    Too bad Columbus aren't going to sell that Chad Marshall guy as they're already short on defenders...
  • Ashy
    7894 posts League Winner
    Oh dear on the brink of bring sacked! Title race is well and truly over now I think
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    Ashy wrote: »
    Oh dear on the brink of bring sacked! Title race is well and truly over now I
    think
    Unfortunately, I also believe so... Well, it hasn't ever really been a thing anyway. :)

juDvQ4j.png
    According to rumours, the next match of the Sounders against Chivas USA could be the end of the line for Seattle's German manager Sigi Schmid. Rumour indeed has it that a win could save his job, any other result could mean he'll be getting the sack.
    «That's what happens when you lose three matches in a row nowadays» says a representative of the Emerald City Supporters group «but we, as a supporter group, would like to make absolutely clear that we support Sigi and will back him and the guys until the end of the season» . The Sounders are currently third in the Western Conference, but the recent form of results has been worrying and the board members, led by Adrian Hanauer, seem to have lost their patience.

LATEST TRANSFER HEADLINES:
    • Modric leaves Tottenham to join Manchester United, in a $ 60M deal.
    • Inter very active on the market as they sell Cambiasso to Arsenal and buy Hernandez from United.
    • Bayern Munich confirm they've signed the promising goalkeeper Neuer from Schalke 04.
    • Gourcouff to Stoke and Lovren to Lazio: what's happening in Lyon?
    • Anelka leaves Chelsea and moves to Sunderland in $ 17M deal.
    Post edited by ale85bg on
  • Wyojasond
    8343 posts League Winner
    Gonna go out on a limb and say that Neuer kid is gonna be a good one. Just have a funny feeling :p
  • Danimal5981
    1261 posts Professional
    Nice one. Like to read stories on lesser known clubs and teams. I mean, we all know our London and Manchester teams, don't we? Keep Calm & Support the Sounders
  • Virtual_K
    1336 posts Professional
    Sigi can't go out losing to F***ing Chivas, he can't! And this coming from a Galaxy fan. :) #BeatChivas
  • BistroXII
    1904 posts Play-Off Hero
    Wow big news, Sigis job on the line and the supporters group say they are right behind him. Is that the kiss of death like when the board says we are in full support of the manager :D
  • Chris
    Hopefully Sigi doesn't go, I think he's doing solid to be fair, sometimes his team have been under performing for him
  • milan_7
    379 posts Sunday League Hero
    On the brink, hopefully still time to turn it around before the sack comes!
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    Gonna go out on a limb and say that Neuer kid is gonna be a good one. Just have a funny feeling :p
    I think so, this transfer could really help him get over this goal he conceded against Inter:
    Izdvd.gif

Nice one. Like to read stories on lesser known clubs and teams. I mean, we all know our London and Manchester teams, don't we? Keep Calm & Support the Sounders
    Thanks! To be honest there are some great stories also about British teams in here. But I see your point, a little different team is always welcomed. :)

Sigi can't go out losing to F***ing Chivas, he can't! And this coming from a Galaxy fan. :) #BeatChivas
    It's easy to root for the Sounders now when you're comfortably top of the table and they can't reach you anymore, isn't it? :p
    Joking of course, third in the Western Conference isn't bad but the LA Galaxy are absolutely out of reach at the moment.

BistroXII wrote: »
    Is that the kiss of death like when the board says we are in full support of the manager :D
    Hopefully not! :joy:
    The guys from the ECS are good guys... Long gone are the days in which some Sounders' fans tried to choke a Timbers' fan with his scarf.

sometimes his team have been under performing for him
    I'm not proud to admit this, but it all most likely comes down to Alonso being missing. Hopefully he'll be back soon: if it's not for the Chivas match, it'll be shortly after. I do hope we could have him against the Crew later in the month.

milan_7 wrote: »
    On the brink, hopefully still time to turn it around before the sack comes!
    We have a good chance to turn things around against Chivas USA. After all, Sigi said that "we already defeated Chivas USA once and we'll be surely doing it again".
    He never changes, he never changes. 33.gif

Post edited by ale85bg on