Forever 18 - A Kasey Keller Story

Comments

• Greenman019
    2743 posts Fans' Favourite
    Little evasive. Should be an interesting window.
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    edited October 2016
    Chris wrote: »
    Very sketchy comments regarding transfers there, hopefully we'll see some positive moves by Seattle
    Little evasive. Should be an interesting window.
    Sigi knows how not to tell the press the things he doesn't want to tell apparently. :p
    Not long to go anyway before the transfer window, so...

5wIVKKZ.png

"There's not another way to put it, unfortunately: they outsmarted us".
    This is Sigi talking to the team after the defeat against New York. Not that we could do anything very different against a team still undefeated and that had a 13-2-0 record before playing against us.
    We controlled the match for the majority of the time, byt Sigi is right: we haven't been smart enough in converting our chances.
    "Playing a good passing football isn't all that useful when you only hit the target twice in 10 attempts! And... Fucito, I'm looking at you!"
    Mike raises his hand, asking for forgiveness. He didn't play a bad match, often in the right place at the right time... But bad days happen to everyone: today he couldn't find the goal (not even getting close).

On the other hand, they've been perfect in their tactic: they decided to wait for our side backs to start pushing, then hit on the counter.
    That's how they scored the first goal: Richards brought down Fernández with the brute force, probably not being that happy of being called 'Denise' for half an hour by Wahl. He then crossed a ball in for Henry, who completely missed it: unfortunately, Rodgers was there on the far post and scored with a volley: 1-0 to the Red Bulls, at minute 36.
    SoWizxS.png
    Our reaction was, well... Tepid, at most. Fucito freed himself a couple of times for the shot, but never managed to hit the target. Rosales tried with a powerful low shot from well outside the box, but Rost denied it apparently with ease:
    ncahwm2.png
    This would be pretty much our only real chance of the match. We would end the match with better pass accuracy, higher possession, a higher number of shots (ten, against their four)... The difference here is that we hit the target twice, they hit the target on every shot of theirs, also managing to score the second with Henry, who arrived running on the penalty spot to collect a cross by Hertzog and to finesse the ball in the back of the net with his left foot in the stoppage time.
    I can confirm he didn't handle the ball this time, like he did against Ireland.

So, there goes our undefeated run and there also goes my hope of recording a clean sheet.
    17 matches left in the regular season, many many shutouts to go. But it's not over yet.
  • Virtual_K
    1534 posts Professional
    Streaks come and they go, but to lose to the Red Bulls after dominating the stat sheet should have Keller a little miffed at his strikers. With the transfer window opening up, wonder if Sigi will Hoppa on Pappa (Italian Dr. Seus reference). :D
  • Chris
    5385 posts Big Money Move
    Its getting worse :/ Not over yet, but need to get this out of your system quickly
  • Wyojasond
    8733 posts League Winner
    :s the undefeated run ends. Still a ways to go, but always stings losing to NYRB. (I think I will always hate them after Mertes domination in the DTL last year. Lol)
  • Greenman019
    Ye still lots of game left but this bad run of form is quickly becoming a real problem :o
  • theodom101
    484 posts Sunday League Hero
    Falling apart a bit defensively :(
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Streaks come and they go, but to lose to the Red Bulls after dominating the stat sheet should have Keller a little miffed at his strikers.
    Yeah, it's been a difficult match upfront. Fucito and Montero are still the 2nd and 3rd best scorers in the league though, so I just take that a difficult day could happen to anyone.

Its getting worse :/ Not over yet, but need to get this out of your system quickly
    Yeah, we need to tighten the defence a little there. I believe Ianni could have a couple of occasions more in the next matches, just for a change.

I think I will always hate them after Mertes domination in the DTL last year. Lol
    And they look like they share the same form too: after defeating us, they currently record 14 wins and 2 draws in 16 matches: they're still undefeated this year.

Ye still lots of game left but this bad run of form is quickly becoming a real problem :o
    theodom101 wrote: »
    Falling apart a bit defensively :(
    Yeah, tightening the defence a little has become a priority now. We're working on it!
  • Ashy
    8067 posts League Winner
    Damn Red Bulls look unstoppable being undefeated in 16, going to have a job on your hands to overtake them I think :#
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    Ashy wrote: »
    Damn Red Bulls look unstoppable being undefeated in 16
    Yeah, NY and LA look on a completely different planet right now. :(

5wIVKKZ.png

It's always good to record a victory right after a defeat, to somehow make up for it.
    Long gone are the FIFA 99 times, where Toronto were almost the best team in the game (anyone remembering their striker Janny and their keeper Aaron? They were beasts, I wonder how would they be valued today in this new FIFA mode... Ultimate Team I believe it's called), now Toronto is a mid-table team that can be defeated. And that's just what we did here. ;)

Without Alonso once again, Sigi decided to have also Evans take a breath, so the central midfielders were Sanyanf (which is slowly turning into an imporessive CDM) and Friberg. Ianni got to play instead of Hurtado. The rest of the starters were there, luckily. Also Fucito, even if in all honesty it looked like he wasn't.

It was us to start better, with Montero forcing Frei to a great save near the end of the first half: Fredy shot a very powerful strike from just inside the box, forcing Frei to stretch on his left and deflect it out for a corner:
    FmCVoJC.png
    I must be honest, he's a very good keeper and I'd love to see him at the Sounders once I retire. Either him, or Portland's Perkins. They did little in the first half and so did we apart this chance, to the extent that we went to the lockers for the half time break with no goals on either side. Sigi subbed off Fucito out of frustration and brought in O'Brian White instead.

The second half started with a blast for us though: at minute 11 White created some space for himself by shielding the ball with his body and waiting for Montero to come in support. A perfect pass, another well placed shot, and this time Frei could do nothing: 1-0 for us!
    8NHBROb.png

Like it happened also last time we played against Toronto, though, they started getting more and more dangerous towards the end of the match. Luckily enough (I'll borrow a verse from Dave Henson's Vuvuzela Song here) Ianni was everywhere, winning everything in the air.
    And, like it happened in that song, also here all went wrong shortly after: Griffit freed himself on the left flank during the stoppage time, and our man Riley decided to become the hero of the day: he ran after him, he reached him, he bloody mowed Griffit down:
    FdZMST9.png
    Everybody was expecting a red there, but somehow he got away with a yellow, and with a lot of booing and whistling from the crowd.
    This, despite being shameful, despite being utterly against any sportsmanship rule, was the tackle that not only saved our win, but also saved my first shutout in a long time.

4 down, 6 to go!
  • BistroXII
    1970 posts Play-Off Hero
    Like you said in your previous update '..it's not over yet'. Good win to get going again and a clean sheet, nice work :)
  • Wyojasond
    8733 posts League Winner
    The return of the clean sheet! Yes! Let's get a run of them now. :)
  • theodom101
    484 posts Sunday League Hero
    Great to get another clean sheet! 6 to go with how many games left?
  • Chris
    A win and a clean sheet, completely back on track now
  • ale85bg
    BistroXII wrote: »
    Like you said in your previous update '..it's not over yet'.
    Surely it's not. LA look difficult to reach, but we can still try and hold on to the second place which will mean a direct playoff spot. :)
    The return of the clean sheet! Yes!
    Uh, long overdue... Hopefully I'm not too late for the "10 shutouts" goal. If we qualified for the playoffs, I'd have also some more matches available...
    theodom101 wrote: »
    Great to get another clean sheet! 6 to go with how many games left?
    16 left if we don't count the Open Cup and the playoff matches (if any). Kasey CAN do it!
    A win and a clean sheet, completely back on track now
    It looks so! Hopefully this run of form would continue... Cup match against Chivas USA next, time to let some starters rest maybe.

• LennonLegend
    165 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Haven't been up to date with this (it didn't seem to show me new posts)

Nonetheless, I read through the last couple of pages. Loving the story. I will be following from now.
  • Greenman019
    Yes! Clean sheet. Nice work, back on track.
  • ale85bg
    Loving the story. I will be following from now.
    Thanks! :)
    Yes! Clean sheet.
    At last... :joy:

8aaHoGn.png

Enjoying a match from the bench from time to time is surely good. It's refreshing, indeed. And this Open Cup match is the right chance for me and for some other starters to take a short break.
    Riley hasn't even been called up, and I'm here on the bench with Rosales and Fernández, along with Montero and Fucito. Terry Boss is defending our goal, Scott is the right back, Seamon plays in the middle and Ochoa upfront. People you wouldn't usually see on the pitch here at the Qwest Field.
    Honestly, had I been Sigi I would've played Fucito today. He actually rested more than enough during the last matches after all.

We have a very convincing start, with Sammy Ochoa keeping Kennedy, their keeper, pretty busy. But we miss some experience in the middle, and they know it.
    At minute 22 Sammy Ochoa gets dispossessed by Pearce, and as soon as he wins the ball from Ochoa he starts the counter with a long pass to LaBrocca, and we are caught on the back foot. LaBrocca to Ángel, he is through on goal, but Hurtado tackles him down from behind. No doubt for the referee, it's red. And it's only minute 25.
    rQJXFdU.png
    No doubt for Sigi: there's no subbing a CB in here, Carrasco goes back with Taylor Graham.
    We suffer for a little, but then we find our balance and so we start attacking again.

A couple of occasions later, it's Ochoa who has on its foot the chance to score the 1-0 goal, his wonderfool backheel shot gets tipped over the bar by Kennedy for a corner.
    Minute 65, Carrasco is found completely out of position as Ángel manages to get past him and to put one past Terry Boss. Chivas USA are ahead.

From there on, there's only us: we press, we engage in a fierce forcing with every player, trying to break down Kennedy's resistance. And we eventually do so with Zach Scott, who manages to score the equalizer at minute 76.
    The remainder of the match is not enough for either us or them to score the winner, so it's extra time.

During the additional 30 minutes there's just a chance per team, but the difference is huge. We manage to score our one with Sammy Ochoa to make it 2-1, and near the end of the match, when Chivas USA were somehow desperately trying to score the equalizer, our hero Terry Boss says 'no' to them with a great one-footed interception to deny an almost sure goal.
    npDtYFh.png
    After this wonderful save, the referee decides to have us play another couple of minutes, which are almost endless for all of us on the bench and especially for Sigi, who compulsively look at his watch every ten seconds, before exploding in a shout of joy at the final whistle.

We suffered, we thought we wouldn't make it, but we eventually made it. We're victorious, and Sigi is just uncontrollable as he runs towards Terry Boss and hugs him, followed by the rest of the team and by the entire bench.
    Terry has saved us today, literally.
  • Virtual_K
    1534 posts Professional
    Man I hate Chivas, thanks for bringing them back into my life. :p But you won, and now they're out, hooray! :)
  • Chris
    Great display from the boss haha
  • Wyojasond
    8733 posts League Winner
    Yeah owe him big time! What a win
  • BistroXII
    1970 posts Play-Off Hero
    KK chillin out on the bench, lol. Good win and well played by Boss. Well described and nice summary of the match.
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    Man I hate Chivas, thanks for bringing them back into my life. :p
    LOL, they almost kicked us out of the cup! I would've started hating them too if that had been the case. :joy:
    On a serious note, I used to like their "parent" club based in Guadalajara though.
    Great display from the boss haha
    Yeah owe him big time! What a win
    Oh that's true, he played a great match. Sigi should play him more often I guess. :)
    BistroXII wrote: »
    Well described and nice summary of the match.
    Thanks man! I thought I would not be able to keep this going for long with every match having its own update, but at the moment I'm still finding it feasible and I'm glad you like it! :)

5wIVKKZ.png

If you think it's not normal to see a keeper laugh after he conceded the equalizer in the dying minutes you're probably right, but I'm currently laughing out of frustration actually. Another match that we were winning, another match that we're hardly going to win now as it's stoppage time and they apparently parked the bus, the plane and they'd probably also park the Titanic had they got one.

But let's start from the beginning: after a well deserved break in the cup, I got back between the sticks for this MLS match against the New England Revolution with the intent to record the second clean sheet in a row.

After a dull first half in whch nothing worth mentioning happened, it was us who opened the second half with a great chance: Neagle played a perfect ball to Montero, who trapped it, shielded it and then passed it back to Evans, who fired a powerful strike: Reis reached it, deflected it, but couldn't prevent it from going in.
    PA3Dw9s.png
    One nil to the Sounders! And it looked like we had the game in control, as shortly after a long cross by Wahl found Mike Fucito on the far post: Mike tried to cross it back towards the middle with a great overhead kick, but Montero couldn't reach it. Very nice attempt anyway I must say:
    HFUDHfY.png
    But it often happens in football: when you think you've finally got the game in control, you slip up and the opponents take advantage from it. That's exactly what happened to us, literally: Parke stumbled trying to tackle Alston, leaving him all alone in the box. He had the time to control the ball, look at me, and place a low controlled shot on the far post for the equalizer.
    XsQcefY.png
    That's why I'm laughing now, I'm frustrated: you play a good match, create several occasions, and you get punished for your first error, which maybe is made by a tired player at the end of the match like it just happened here.

Well, nevermind. We're still up there in a playoff position, I've almost scored another clean sheet and I'm happy for our man Evans who played delightfully today: I can see him become a legend at the club if he goes on playing this way.
  • Greenman019
    Great cup win but then another draw.

Always nice not losing obviously but late equalizers are always painful :(
  • Chris
    You love your draws haha
  • Wyojasond
    8733 posts League Winner
    Ughhhh, those late equalizers. Like hitting on the hot girl at the bar all night, only for her fat friend to swoop in and ruin your night. How many games left for the clean sheets?
  • Virtual_K
    1534 posts Professional
    Late goals are the worst, but still a draw and not a loss. Maybe Keller should try a different sports drink. ;)
  • Ashy
    8067 posts League Winner
    As others have said, those late goals hurt so hard :/ Hopefully you can get a win next!
  • ale85bg
    nice not losing obviously but late equalizers are always painful :(
    Yeah, they're painful especially because they seem to always come from teams we should be able to defeat.

You love your draws haha
    Oh, apparently it's them who love me and follow me everywhere. :joy:

Like hitting on the hot girl at the bar all night, only for her fat friend to swoop in and ruin your night. How many games left for the clean sheets?
    I've seen it happen several times myself. :disappointed:
    Anyway, it's 15 league matches and at least a cup match to record 6 clean sheets. It can still be done!

Maybe Keller should try a different sports drink. ;)
    I've heards there's an Italian brand going to launch an orange-flavoured sports drink soon... :p

Ashy wrote: »
    As others have said, those late goals hurt so hard :/ Hopefully you can get a win next!
    Yeah they do, but... Let's try and remove the bad thoughts from our minds: the cup match is almost upon us and we need a win.
    We're the reigning champions after all, it's to be expected that we fight for this cup until the very end.
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    8aaHoGn.png

"KK! You're playing today. And I expect nothing less than an outstanding performance".
    Sigi always knows how to motivate us without making us feel a stifling pressure.
    "And I'm not expecting a major performance only from our captain here, but from all of you. Pat! Chaves is yours, I expect you not to make him see a ball. And Brad, another goal would be appreciated. Let's play them off the park again!"
    Sigi gets close to Evans and fist bumps him, before poking Ianni on the shoulder and leading us to the pitch. So, it begins.

The first thing I notice is that the Chicago fans are a lot. They've made a banner which reads "Thank you Marco" and they're chanting "Marco, Marco Pappa". It's almost official now: Pappa is leaving, he hasn't even been called up for this match.
    As soon as Sigi emerges from the tunnel, though, the chant sung by the Chicago fans changes to "Sacked in the morning, you're getting sacked in the morning!" with Evans ironically applauding towards the away fans. We have a 2-2 draw to avenge, and their behaviour is giving us even another reason to kick them off the park, if we even needed one.

We already make sure it's clear enough in the first minutes when Evans fires a powerful shot from just outside the box, forcing Johnson to perform the first save of the match:
    MFDuVz2.png
    We don't have to wait much though for the first goal: Fredy Montero at minute 20 receives a great ball from Sanyang right outside the box, unleashes a first-time shot with his right foot aiming at the bottom corner and scores the 1-0.
    They don't hold back though, and despite the absence of Pappa they try to be dangerous with Banner: the ball to Chaves is sweet, but Ianni apparently is applying Sigi's principles by the book: "Hey Chaves, where ya goin'?"
    Svacrvq.png
    The 1-0 doesn't last too long though, as shortly before the half time whistle a wonder goal by Neagle brings us ahead by 2 goals: he receives a ball right outside the box, he makes a couple of steps towards the centre and then fires a homing missile with his left foot which goes in at the top corner. One of the best goals of the season so far, 2-0 for the Sounders at half time!

The second half starts again with us attacking, and with Anibaba deflecting a shot by Fucito that would hav surely gone in otherwise.
    They do not shoot once in all the second half, and it's us scoring the third with Brad Evans wonderfully assisted by Sanyang.
    Brad goes celebrating right under the Chicago fans, earning an insane amount of swearing and being booed and whistled by all the stand:
    z9aIzgH.png
    It's minute 80, and nothing happens from there to the end of the match meaning that not only we showed Chicago who the Sounders are, not only we advanced in the cup, but I got another clean sheet.

Still five to go, but there's still half of the season left.
    Post edited by ale85bg on