Forever 18 - A Kasey Keller Story

Comments

• BistroXII
    1903 posts Play-Off Hero
    Hard luck on the loss but injuries are taking a big toll. Nice league table update and loved Bruce Springsteen joining in on the facebook conversation. And those FIFA12 screenshots still look good. Any plans for putting in a video of match highlights?
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up
    edited September 2016
    theodom101 wrote: »
    Shame about the loss and unlucky with the injury list starting to pile up now
    BistroXII wrote: »
    Hard luck on the loss but injuries are taking a big toll.
    Unfortunately, it's so. For a player that returns from injury, there's one (at least) who has to stop. I wonder when (or, most likely, if) this will eventually end. Also I'm playing with sliders by @Placebo_PRS and they bring more injuries to the game, so it's him who is to blame. :joy:
    BistroXII wrote: »
    And those FIFA12 screenshots still look good.
    Thanks mate! It's night and day compared to FIFA 17, but I agree they still look kinda good even if it's a 5-year old game. About the video... Not like last year, but I might be able to do somethinga t the end of the season with the best moments.

5wIVKKZ.png

"Terryyyy!!! TERRYYYY!!! Imma get there, rip your bloody hands off and have you eat them finger after finger!"

Alright, Sigi is a little nervous right now. We're 2-0 down after a blunder by Terry Boss, who came out with great confidence to grab the ball but let it slip out of his hands instead. Needless to say, Rentería thanked him and proceeded to slowly carry the ball past the goal line to record a brace.
    pc9tVhA.png
    And this is Terry fumbling it, with Rentería in ambush righ behind.
    I already foresee the press blaming this defeat on Terry alone. A mistake like this would usually blow away everything good one might have done before, but in all fairness Terry also pulled a couple of great saves to keep us in the match prior to this little big mishap, so it would be unfair to say he's the reason we've lost (because we are going to lose, it's clear at this stage).

But let's start from the beginning: once upon a time, an injury-ridden Sounders side took on the Crew in Columbus...
    Cutting a long story short, it was the Crew who scored first with a short range finesse shot by Rentería around the 20th minute, against which Terry Boss could do nothing. Like they say, 'it happens.
    nbQyrpg.png
    The first half went on without other big chances, and of the two keepers it's Terry who saved a couple of shots and who kept us in the game.
    The second half started with us attacking towards our fans, and Fredy Montero tried to lead our charge towards their goal: his best attempt was a wonderful half-volley who got deflected out for a corner by the keeper.
    NLhnwfe.png
    After that, a shot by Friberg went wide before he had to leave the pitch for yet another injury, and a shot by Sanyang, who in all honestly played a very convinving match, hit the upper part of the bar.

And then, well, we're back to Terry's blunder which actually would mean 'game, set and match' for them if we were playing tennis.

There's just the last chance for us before the final whistle, and it's a strike by Fredy Montero hitting a defender right on the nose. Nothing major, luckily: it looks like it's us the only team plagued by injuries.
  • Placebo_PRS
    143 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    ale85bg wrote: »
    Also I'm playing with sliders by @Placebo_PRS and they bring more injuries to the game, so it's him who is to blame.

LOL send me your medical bill ;) I'm tempted this year to try something like:

Injury Freq: 99/99
    Injury Severity: 05/10

I've used really high frequency settings before and it's funny every sprint/challenge ends with a player limping! In real football you usually end up with at least half a dozen times a player comes out of a challenge limping a little, most times it is nothing and they're not injured after that match but I want to increase the reality of a match, I believe it's coded so that when a player receives one "knock" it reduces their stamina and increases the chances of picking up a second "knock", as we know fatigue simulation is really poor so this way it should actually force certain players to tire early and need subbing off :)
  • Ashy
    7894 posts League Winner
    The Facebook update graphic was pretty funny and a nice addition, cool to see you are trying new things out other stories have not done!
  • Chris
    5332 posts Big Money Move
    You need Keller back ASAP haha
  • ale85bg
    ale85bg wrote: »
    Also I'm playing with sliders by Placebo_PRS and they bring more injuries to the game, so it's him who is to blame.
    LOL send me your medical bill ;)
    I'll do as soon as all the players have been cured. There's some who are still in the waiting room as the emergency room is still full. :p
    Anyway thank you for that old set of sliders (which I git back in the day off Evo-web)... It plays great!
    Chris wrote: »
    You need Keller back ASAP haha
    More than Keller, I guess we need Alonso back... Without him we lost the filter in front of the defence. :(
    Ashy wrote: »
    The Facebook update graphic was pretty funny and a nice addition, cool to see you are trying new things out other stories have not done!
    Thanks! Not having lots of spare time anymore I needed to think about nice little things... The stitched photos on the diary and these little social media/sms things came to mind. Glad you liked them!
    And about social media...

yen9UJR.png

Should any of you have a question for Sigi or for Kasey... Don't hold back! They'll answer every question. And I mean every. ;)
  • BistroXII
    1903 posts Play-Off Hero
    Question for Kasey: How is the body holding up? You are playing well but at 41 years of age it can't be easy to keep up the hard work in training. So how long do you see yourself playing before you consider retirement?
  • Wyojasond
    8343 posts League Winner
    Dear Kasey, any plans for life after football? Maybe a coaching stint? Or even a revival tour with the Boss himself Springsteen!?
  • Ahmer50x
    9414 posts League Winner
    Sigi, any chance that this man beside you will be your successor?
  • Chris
    Kasey, what advice would you give to younger goalkeepers, trying to breakthrough the fringes of the first team?
  • ale85bg
    edited September 2016
    njlHxvj.png

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Qwest Field for this pre-match press conference with our manager Sigi Schmid and our captain Kasey Keller.

Yg2iVfq.png
    Sigi, you know they'll ask you 'bout that Columbus thing, don't you?

As we really don't have much time, let's begin straight with the questions.

A question for Sigi: Seeing the way you departed Columbus Crew in 2008, to join the Sounders no less, how did you feel last week when the Sounders lost 2-0 to the Crew?
    Sigi Schmid: I've always loved to be clear, so here is the truth: I would've killed Terry had I had him in my hands after the 2-0 goal, but not because it happened against Columbus Crew.
    It's true that we didn't exactly part in a friendly way with Columbus: they accused me of things I had never done, how could the end of our relationship be friendly? Our win in late 2009 meant a lot to me... But since then, losing to the Crew doesn't feel any different than losing to any other team in the league. It's annoying, but you cannot always win.

Question for Kasey: How is the body holding up? You are playing well but at 41 years of age it can't be easy to keep up the hard work in training. So how long do you see yourself playing before you consider retirement?
    Kasey Keller: Well, honestly I often end the training sessions with a little pain here, a little pain there... I'm not 25 anymore unfortunately. It's nothing really major though: after the Toronto match I felt some pain in my right shoulder that forced me to miss the last two matches but it was not a problem caused by my age, it was an actual bruise. Anyway, I'm ready to come back between the sticks today and give my best.
    Retiring... This is a difficult question. I've already thought about retiring at the beginning of the season, but then Terry getting injured against Atalanta made me reconsider. As modern football's requests for physicality is always increasing, I believe I won't be able to keep up for long. Surely I'll play till the end of this season, and hopefully I could do another one after this but I'm not seeing myself playing in, say, three years.

Question for Sigi: You've had more starters under treatment by your medical staff than the ones you had available in the last couple of matches. How's the situation now?
    Sigi Schmid: Oh, luckily enough things are slowly getting better now. We will finally be able to field our regular back four today, and our first-choice keeper will also be returning to the pitch.
    For the next match against Kansas City also Alonso and Ianni will be available, so if no-one picks up an injury today we should finally have our ideal starting eleven available again.

And... If there's a player you've missed more than the others, who is he?
    Sigi Schmid: Difficult choice but if I had to choose one I'd say Osvaldo Alonso. He was tirelessly playing box-to-box before picking up that ankle injury and we've really been missing him in these matches against strong opponents like DC United and Columbus Crew. We currently miss a filter in front of the back four, even if I must admit Sanyang is doing a good job in replacing him. He lacks the experience Alonso has, and we're obviously suffering because of that.

Dear Kasey, any plans for life after football? Maybe a coaching stint? Or even a revival tour with the Boss himself Springsteen!?
    Kasey Keller: I would've loved to play once with Barcelona, the band which recorded 'Kasey Keller' in my honour, but they've parted ways long ago unfortunately. I still listen to that song on a regular basis, I even have it as a ringtone on my cellphone!
    Apart from music, I don't know what I'll do after retiring but I'd love to stay at the Sounders somehow. Meybe as a GK coach, or... Well, whatever. As long as it's here in Seattle. These are the places I lived in as a kid, and I've been at the Sounders since their inception so I really feel at home here.

Sigi, any chance that this man beside you will be your successor?
    Sigi Schmid: I'm not leaving this bench anytime soon, but if he lives long enough, maybe... *laughs*
    After retiring he could seriously become our GK coach if he feels like staying around, and I know he'd love to stay around at the Sounders even as a non-player.
    His experience would surely benefit everyone here so it would be a win-win situation. We'd just have to wait and see what our general manager Hanauer thinks about it.
    Now it looks like our time is over, we should already be in the locker room by now. Thank you everyone for the questions and for your time, you're all invited to move to the main stand as the match will begin shortly.

Wait, there's a last time question over there! Please, ask!

Kasey, what advice would you give to younger goalkeepers, trying to breakthrough the fringes of the first team?
    Kasey Keller: Don't be afraid to talk. In tomorrow's game where often keepers must also play as sweepers, there's nothing more important than talking to your teammates. A good defence is a defence where people play together, and a good keeper needs to help his defenders play together by talking to them, even shouting to them if it's necessary.
    Reflexes can be trained, positioning and the ability to predict the outcome of a play will come with time. But proper communication can spare you lots of goals and can do it now.
    Now off we go to the locker room as it's really really late... Thank you everyone!
  • Ashy
    7894 posts League Winner
    Good interview, nice to see Kasey step up and do one of these, cool to hear what advice he would give to young keepers too :)
  • ale85bg
    edited October 2016
    5wIVKKZ.png

"Unbelievable... It's incredible! UNBELIEVABLE! You now have to tell me how on Earth you always manage to screw things up right before the final whistle... Explain me, because I really can't get my head around it!"
    It's Sigi scolding the team after the match against Portland, as once again we conceded a goal late in the game.
    "You conceded with 5 minutes to go against LA, in the stoppage time against Toronto, you even conceded two against DC United in the final three minutes... Not one, TWO!!! You conceded in the last five minutes against the Crew... And now in the stoppage time against Portland! What the Hell is wrong with you guys?"

Well, actually it looks like we may have a problem here. We even scored first, with a great effort by Mike Fucito in the fifth minute. Shortly after, their keeper Brown did an incredible save on a strike by Montero when nearly everyone thought it was alrady in:
    H1teaR5.png
    Then, Cooper became an absolute nightmare: he started winning everything in the air, everything: he eventually scoreds the equalizer during minute 34.
    We didn't give up though and some five minutes after it's Rosales who brought us ahead again, collecting a ball parried by Brown after a shot by Montero and powering it home with Brown trying to regain his position between the posts:
    EXE6J3N.png

The second half has been pretty tedious, with them trying to overload our box and with us strenuously holding out... Until minute 90. Alexander went near the left corner flag, he sent a cross in for Cooper who outjumped Hurtado by several inches and headed it home for the 2-2.

Sigi's reaction on the bench has been hilarious... But now that we're seeing him scream and shout, it's not that hilarious anymore.

Post edited by ale85bg on
  • ale85bg
    Good interview, nice to see Kasey step up and do one of these, cool to hear what advice he would give to young keepers too :)
    Thanks! :)
    Yeah, I really believe that one of the most important things for a keeper is being able to "direct" the defenders, I would love to know what the real Kasey Keller would've suggested.
  • Greenman019
    2740 posts Fans' Favourite
    Well, at least you didn't lose :p
  • Virtual_K
    1336 posts Professional
    I have a question for Sigi: "With all the late goals conceded, have you considered playing five at the back during crunch time?" Sigi?...Sigi?...damn, I missed the interview. :'(
  • Chris
    You can't buy a win right now haha
  • ale85bg
    Well, at least you didn't lose :p
    Oh, yes, this counts as a step forward indeed. :joy:
    You can't buy a win right now haha
    Longest winless run so far. :p
    I'm not worried yet, but I see there's a problem in the final minutes and we really need to work it out.
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    I have a question for Sigi: "With all the late goals conceded, have you considered playing five at the back during crunch time?" Sigi?...Sigi?...damn, I missed the interview. :'(
    Reached by a SoundersTV journalist, Sigi had this to say after the match: "You got the point: that's exacty what Alonso is supposed to do, and not only in the final minutes. Luckily enough he'll be back against Sporting KC".
  • Ahmer50x
    9414 posts League Winner
  • ale85bg
    5wIVKKZ.png

It's a hot sunday afternoon in Seattle yet the Qwest Field is almost full, and from the locker room we can hear our fans chanting on the stands: they've been here since more than an hour before the match. "I'm Sounders 'til I die, I'm Sounders 'til I die" they sing.

I've had a talk with Sigi before the match: I'm big enough to know that this difficult moment is temporary and that we have what it takes to start winning matches again, but hearing that he thinks the same somehow relieved me a little.
    And now we're about to enter the pitch, and we are almost all here this time: Alonso, Rosales, Parke, Riley... The only missing player is Friberg, and he'll be replaced by Evans.

I must be honest: Sanyang is a very interesting prospect and will surely have his time to shine in the future, and I really hope it will bea t the Sounders... But having Alonso in front of the defence is a completely different thing. He runs, he jostles for every ball, he tracks back as far as our penalty spot to intercept their crosses:
    RQQChEa.png
    And he also supports our attackers, proposing himself for passes and running, apparently endlessly. We really have an added defender when they have the ball and an added attacker when we go forward.

I need to perform a couple of difficult saves in the first half but it could really have been way worse: it's mostly thanks to a couple of crucial interceptions by Alonso thatwe manage to end the first half without conceding, and the second half begins exactly the same way.
    Also their keeper Nielsen, defending the opposite goal, has to pull some very good saves to keep them alive, including one right at the top corner. Are you a wizard?
    jlBuxgs.png
    On a serious note, have I ever told you that I consider him one of the best GKs the MLS has ever had to date?

Then, when we approach minute 15 of the second half, something really bad happens: Alonso starts hobbling while trying to track an opponent, and they obviously take advantage of us being one man down.
    Sapong receives a through ball that Alonso would've easily cut off, bursts past Parke and scored. 1-0 to Sporting KC.
    Alonso calls for a substitution and Sigi decides it's Sanyang time again. The boy plays very well indeed, and we once again start conceding little to no chances. They will record just one shot after the goal, and once again it's me saving it.

But we need to do something, we cannot lose this match. Sigi sends Neagle in for Rosales, hoping he would outpace his man on the flank... And once again he makes the right decision.
    Minute 80 and Riley plays a great over the head through ball to Neagle, finding him past his opponent. Neagle controls it, passes it to the middle where Montero is ready to fire the shot...
    v7hvedc.png
    he hits the bar. He hits the bloody bar! Now tell me how on Earth can we be so unlucky?

The play goes on though, they try and clear the ball each time we attack but there's one that doesn't go far enough: Ianni collects it in front of the centre circle, plays it again on the right to Neagle, who passes to Montero... Fredy enters the box, sees Fucito alone in the middle with the corner of his eye, he passes the ball... And Mike Fucito scores! All squared again, the Sounders equalized!

After that, I believ that both us and them are too worried to attack again. The stoppage time is made of useless midfield battles and of both teams trying to clear the ball as far as possible, and the referee eventually blows the final whistle.

It could've gone worse.
  • ale85bg
    edited September 2016
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Do you mean Sigi? After this KC match, I'm not sure anymore he will stay for long, either. :joy:
  • Chris
    Decent draw, but a game you had the chances to win that's for sure
  • Greenman019
    2740 posts Fans' Favourite
    Where's this form come from?

I mean I'll repeat what I said last time as in at least you didn't lose but still. . . >_>

Also lol @Ahmer50x
  • Tekkonkinkreet
    446 posts Sunday League Hero
    you even conceded two against DC United in the five three minutes... Not one, TWO!!!

When you are so pissed the words come out in any format lol
  • Ahmer50x
    9414 posts League Winner
    Yes, I meant Sigi :lol:
  • Virtual_K
    1336 posts Professional
    Not the worst result against Sporting KC, but what's wrong with Alonso?
  • Ashy
    7894 posts League Winner
    Hmm results have not been the best recently hopefully you can pick up form soon and get back to winning ways
  • ale85bg
    Decent draw, but a game you had the chances to win that's for sure
    Oh that's true. Seeing their position in the league, we really should have won that match.
    Where's this form come from?
    I don't know, I only hope it ends soon and we can go back to winning! :joy:
    When you are so pissed the words come out in any format lol
    Yeah, that's exactly what happened. I meant "the final three minutes" of course. TY for spotting it. :)
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    Not the worst result against Sporting KC, but what's wrong with Alonso?
    He picked up another twisted ankle apparently. And I was worried about Terry Boss! :p
    Hmm results have not been the best recently hopefully you can pick up form soon and get back to winning ways
    Hopefully it's so. The next match will be against Dallas: seeing their position in the league it's going to be difficult, but we'll do our best! :)
  • ale85bg
    5wIVKKZ.png

"Yeah! I knew this was gonna end sooner or later... Welcome back, Seattle! Well done guys, all of you!"
    Sigi is almost over the moon for this match: we finally got back to winning ways and we defeated a direct rival for a playoff spot, no less.

But, to be honest, things didn't start so well. Without Alonso, it was Sanyang starting again in the middle, side-by-side with Evans. It took a while for him to adapt, and in the first half it was them who created the most chances, eventually scoring at minute 30 with a very well placed shot by their only forward Castillo.
    Going down against a strong team playing 4-5-1 and that would most likely adapt a 'park the bus and if you have one park also the plane' tactic in the second half actually didn't look like a good situation, so Sigi decided to do some changes at half time, bringing in Tetteh for González as a left back.

And it worked: Tetteh started overlapping perfectly, always giving Fernández an option on the left flank, and also started going for the cross very often: from one of those crosses, there came the equalizer: Fucito chested it down and immediately fired it past their keeper Hartman. 1-1, we were still alive.
    Yif5IV3.png
    We were dangerous also on the other flank with Neagle anyway, and it's Neagle who at minute 74 tried to cross the ball to Fucito who was arriving on a run. What would have been an easy tap-in, though, got cut off by a majestic interception by Edward:
    SlTqfVf.png
    Despite this, the 2-1 goal was actually in the air and arrived at minute 82 when Fredy Montero collected a sweet through ball by Sanyang, controlled it and gently placed it past Hartman. We turned the match around, 2-1 for the Sounders!
    The last minutes of the match saw O'Brian White enter the pitch for Fucito and picking up yet another injury and hardly anything else, and when the referee sent us all to the locker room the Qwest Field could finally explode with joy.

The Sounders are back!
  • Virtual_K
    1336 posts Professional
    Great win, now enough of this chat about Sigi and the Sounders parting ways. :)