Sunderland A.F.C. || The Road To Redemption || Automatic Promotion!

Comments

• Wyojasond
    11561 posts Has That Special Something
    I'm so far behind. Lol. Man I can't wait for this story. Expect you to cruise the first two years honestly. After that it's gonna be an amazing challenge
  • Chris
    5400 posts Big Money Move
    Cody22775 wrote: »
    So who takes the PL place?

Actually very good question, then who takes that teams place in their old league etc
    Probably in the next update

I'd guess Newcastle as they were the best placed Relegated team. But I am a toon fan so . .

Guess we will have to wait and see

I was meant to address this in the League 2 update, will do it now
  • Chris
    I am enjoying this. I can't wait to read the updates.
    Thanks man
    ale85bg wrote: »
    Massive list of departures there. Hopefully it's the chance for Sunderland to start a new cycle with players who really believe in the project.
    Yeah its good to have players who have came through the club and love the team playing
    Virtual_K wrote: »
    I'm glad to see that Duncan Watmore aka "Little Red" (inside joke) committed to staying. I would wish you good luck, but dayam all those departures! Praise be, you need a miracle. :o
    Hahaha thanks man
  • Chris
    I'm so far behind. Lol. Man I can't wait for this story. Expect you to cruise the first two years honestly. After that it's gonna be an amazing challenge

I think League 2 should be a breeze, but not sure about League 1. It'll be tough competing in these leagues tho with mid week games as young players have **** stamina
  • Chris
    edited September 2016
    Continued From Division Decided Update

So what does this triple relegation mean for the rest of the leagues in England? The EFL, in conjunction with the Premier League, and advice from the FA, released this statement:
    We had to make a very tough decision in regards to re-organizing the teams in our divisions in order to re-balance the quota of teams in each league. We considered nullifying the relegation of the teams who had the highest placed relegation in each division, however we didn't want to reward teams who had got relegated. We have instead decided to grant promotion the teams which finished the highest place in their division (Championship, League 1, and League 2), and did not already gain promotion through the automatic spots or the play offs. This means that, from the Championship, Brighton and Hove Albion will be competing in the Premier League, Walsall from League 1 will be moved to the Championship, and from League 2, Accrington Stanley will be promoted to League 1.

We would like to thank everyone for their patience in this ongoing matter.
  • Cody22775
    591 posts Sunday League Hero
    Chris wrote: »

So what does this triple relegation mean for the rest of the leagues in England? The EFL, in conjunction with the Premier League, and advice from the FA, released this statement:
    We had to make a very tough decision in regards to re-organizing the teams in our divisions in order to re-balance the quota of teams in each league. We considered nullifying the relegation of the teams who had the highest placed relegation in each division, however we didn't want to reward teams who had got relegated. We have instead decided to grant promotion the teams which finished the highest place in their division (Championship, League 1, and League 2), and did not already gain promotion through the automatic spots or the play offs. This means that, from the Championship, Brighton and Hove Albion will be competing in the Premier League, Walsall from League 1 will be moved to the Championship, and from League 2, Accrington Stanley will be promoted to League 1.

Yea that's a good idea

• theodom101
    484 posts Sunday League Hero
    At the very least, the club has a lot of cash to spend to help with the rebuild. Even if players don't want to play in lower divisions it can be spent to really get a good youth system in place or saved for when you make it back to the prem. Good move with regards to how it affects other teams.
  • Chris
    theodom101 wrote: »
    At the very least, the club has a lot of cash to spend to help with the rebuild. Even if players don't want to play in lower divisions it can be spent to really get a good youth system in place or saved for when you make it back to the prem. Good move with regards to how it affects other teams.

The plan is too invest in a strong youth system and keeping players like Pickford, McNair, Watmore happy
  • Ahmer50x
    18150 posts World Class
    McNair is too good for league 2 :lol:
  • Cody22775
    591 posts Sunday League Hero
    Ahmer50x wrote: »
    Way too good

• Chris
    Way too good

As is Pickford, McNair may not stay for long tho ;)
    Paddy McNair is yet to commit his future to the club, with some of his comments worrying Sunderland fans who have been searching for stability, but he did however sign a one year contract with the new company.

• Ashy
    9730 posts League Winner
    Nice to see how you are handling it all, loving the story so far and it's going to be fun to see how to reshape the team
  • Chris
    Ashy wrote: »
    Nice to see how you are handling it all, loving the story so far and it's going to be fun to see how to reshape the team

Thanks man
  • Chris
    So I can't post the squad update until I sort out the squad on the game itself so I'll be doing an interview with the new manager, please leave any questions for the new man in charge
  • BistroXII
    1970 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited September 2016
    Question for manager:

Do you want your team to play in a certain way? Or doesn't it matter as long as you get results?
  • JamieC
    803 posts Semi-Pro
    edited September 2016
    The who was going up because of Sunderland thing was a good idea.

It was also a good way to stick it to Newcastle, who we thought might got to keep their premier league status cause of this :D

Question: With the massive exodus of first team players due to the drop to league 2, do you believe the youngsters have what it takes to compete in a very competitive League 2 this season?
  • ale85bg
    3558 posts National Call-Up

Yea that's a good idea
    Completely agree, it's a very wise idea. :)

A question for the manager:
    "What happened to Sunderland is actually one of the worst things that could ever happen to a football club, but we know there already are several hundreds, if not thousands, of loyal fans that already asked for a season ticket anyway.
    If one of them asked you where do you see Sunderland in the next 5 years, what would you answer?"
  • Chris
    Thanks for the questions so far guys

A question from me, what do you guys think of the story arc? And how authentic it feels?
  • ale85bg
    It feels authentic, as very similar things happened to several Italian teams in the past (e.g. Napoli and Fiorentina).
    That's why I asked you about the the 5 years thing, I had Napoli in mind: they got bankrupt in 2004 and had to start again from Lega Pro (the third tier of Italian football), and now they're back up there battling with Juventus for the Scudetto.
  • BistroXII
    1970 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited September 2016
    The story arc is good - once the financial turmoil was established each update or episode flowed nicely onto the next. The story feels authentic because the financial aspect of the game is so front and centre in football today. You wonder how it doesn't happen more irl but there have been similar things happen like the financial problems at Portsmouth and Bolton more recently. And I don't know how it hasn't happened at QPR from what I've read and isn't this what happened with Rangers in Scotland.
    Post edited by BistroXII on
  • Greenman019
    2745 posts Fans' Favourite

A question from me, what do you guys think of the story arc? And how authentic it feels?

Well obviously I'm loving it :D
    And you know, if you just miss out on a promotion or 2...

(Just kidding. Good luck, I look forward to following the story)

And ye, authenticity wise it's pretty solid. Enjoyed the first few updates detailing events leading up to the drop down the leagues.
  • Virtual_K
    1704 posts Play-Off Hero
    Question:
    Keeping Whitehead while getting him to agree to a salary reduction was a shrewd move, given his experience working in the youth system that the club is going to have to lean heavily upon for the foreseeable future. That being said, relegation from the EFL is a very real possibility, and will the club's financials support such a worst case scenario?
  • Tekkonkinkreet
    446 posts Sunday League Hero

mackems in League Two? What could be better :p
  • Ahmer50x
    18150 posts World Class

:lol:
  • Wyojasond
    11561 posts Has That Special Something
    I think you've done a great job with the story. You've also done an awesome job explaining it all. I honestly hadn't thought about the other teams being promoted.
  • Chris
    ale85bg wrote: »
    It feels authentic, as very similar things happened to several Italian teams in the past (e.g. Napoli and Fiorentina).
    That's why I asked you about the the 5 years thing, I had Napoli in mind: they got bankrupt in 2004 and had to start again from Lega Pro (the third tier of Italian football), and now they're back up there battling with Juventus for the Scudetto.
    Yeah, I've seen it happen to other clubs before, its a shame but a chance to rebuild teams from the ground up which can be a good thing sometimes
    BistroXII wrote: »
    The story arc is good - once the financial turmoil was established each update or episode flowed nicely onto the next. The story feels authentic because the financial aspect of the game is so front and centre in football today. You wonder how it doesn't happen more irl but there have been similar things happen like the financial problems at Portsmouth and Bolton more recently. And I don't know how it hasn't happened at QPR from what I've read and isn't this what happened with Rangers in Scotland.
    This is what happened to Rangers, I took elements from their story, along with the Hereford story to make this one

Thanks for the comments

Well obviously I'm loving it :D
    And you know, if you just miss out on a promotion or 2...

(Just kidding. Good luck, I look forward to following the story)

And ye, authenticity wise it's pretty solid. Enjoyed the first few updates detailing events leading up to the drop down the leagues.
    Thanks man

Not for long ;)
  • Chris
    Thanks for the questions all, will post that update soon
  • Chris
    sNieNat.png

Hello all, and welcome to SAFC.com's exclusive interview with Chris Whitehead, the new Sunderland manager. Thanks for joining us Chris, what does it mean for you to be sat in the Sunderland hot seat?

It means the world to me. Ideally I would have liked it to come under different circumstances of course, but in football you take every opportunity you get. It's always been my dream to manage Sunderland, although I would have liked to play for the club first, injuries prevented that, but now the dream has came true.

With all the departures of both players and staff, what made you stay at the club?

Staying with Sunderland was a no-brainer for me. I love the club, I love the fans, and I love the city, this is my city, my club. Seeing all the younger players, players who I've worked with closely over the years, staying made my decision even easier too.

With the massive exodus of first team players due to the drop to League 2, do you believe the youngsters have what it takes to compete in a very competitive League 2 this season?

Talent wise, I think we hold our own very strong. We have some of the most talented young players in the entire country, and I think being able to showcase them all is fantastic. However, a problem we're well aware of, is the physically demanding aspect of playing in these divisions. We can face up to 4 games a week, and that would be incredibly tough for more experienced players, never mind youngsters, some of which have never played 90 minutes at a professional level.

This has been an issue picked up by some of the top pundits, and many have predicted that relegation from the EFL is a very real possibility; what are your thoughts on that?

It would provide more financial pressure on the club that's for sure, any club would struggle with that outcome. But in saying that, I think the players will be quick to adjust to life in League 2, and I don't think relegation is a possibility. I think we have enough raw talent to provide a comfortable season ahead.

What happened to the club was terrible, however thousands of fans have already secured their season ticket for next season, and have already shown their support. If one of those were to ask where you see the club in 5 years time, what would be your response?

Ideally back in the Premier League of course, but we have to be realistic. Each season will be tougher than the last should we get promoted, and as much as I'd like to promise back to back to back promotions it's highly unrealistic. But what I can guarantee is a solid foundation for the club moving forward; a steady flow of young players, and a solid transfer policy to make sure the financial troubles never rear their head again.

We haven't talked about actual football too much yet; do you want your team to play in a certain way? Or doesn't it matter as long as you get results?

I have my style of football, and my preferred formation, but I'm not afraid to throw that to the wind if it's not working, and I think that's why I was as successful as I was during my time with the youth squad. My base tactics were usually enough to win, but if they're not working, I'm not afraid to adapt mid-game if needed.

And that's all we have time for today, thanks for joining us on SAFC.com
  • ale85bg
    Great interview. Also nice to see you are willing to bring your style of football to the club: hopefully starting from scratch will help you with this, as you'd be able to sign the players you really want instead of having to make do with what the club offers you.
  • Ahmer50x
    18150 posts World Class
    Curious...what is your preferred style/formation?