The latest Title Update for FIFA 20 is now available on PC and includes the changes listed here.

Legend Donovan should be removed from UT

Comments

• MaddMike3711
    11424 posts Has That Special Something
    Great player but that legend card is purely about marketing in the USA, he is about the same level as Hasselbaink and he will never get a legend card
    Please, don't ever compare Jimmy to him again. Jimmy won a golden boot, something Donovan would have never been able to achieve, and again, this is coming from someone who lives in the US.

He won a golden boot in 08. Don't know what you're on about
    Donovan won the PL golden boot in 08? Wow, I never knew that.
    I guess Ronaldo will be surprised to learn that eight years on from winning it, he wasn't real winner of the award.
  • Frankenberry
    10215 posts Has That Special Something
    Always enjoy reading a @somtingwong tantrum over nothing, but it's pretty clear that no player should ever simultaneously have two cards (a current card and a retired version card). Mark me down for removing Legend Donovan from packs while he's playing, insert NIF Donovan into packs, remove NIF Donovan from packs when he retires again, and then put Legend Donovan back in. It's not a complex issue.

Hopefully EA can use this as an opportunity to say "oops we had to remove one Legend, let's throw a few new last minute Legends in to FUT17 to make up for it", and then some random Saudi EA twitter account will accidentally leak the details again.
  • Snipguy
    12983 posts Has That Special Something

Always enjoy reading a @somtingwong tantrum over nothing, but it's pretty clear that no player should ever simultaneously have two cards (a current card and a retired version card). Mark me down for removing Legend Donovan from packs while he's playing, insert NIF Donovan into packs, remove NIF Donovan from packs when he retires again, and then put Legend Donovan back in. It's not a complex issue.

Hopefully EA can use this as an opportunity to say "oops we had to remove one Legend, let's throw a few new last minute Legends in to FUT17 to make up for it", and then some random Saudi EA twitter account will accidentally leak the details again.

Tbh would love an Asian legend, finally.

Dire need of one.
  • Pughy30
    26603 posts Player of the Year
    EA market pretty well so a Chinese, Saudi, or any country with a large player base/population will get legends look at the new Mexican one for example
  • Frankenberry
    Snipguy wrote: »

Tbh would love an Asian legend, finally.

Dire need of one.

I would love to have an Asian Legend too. The one argument I remember against Asian FUT Legends (apart from the lack of world class players from that region) is that FIFA is not very popular in China/Japan/Korea/etc., and they have some similar but different game. I don't know all the details on that, so maybe someone could elaborate further.

South America (6 South American Legends compared to 65 European Legends) is also extremely underrepresented. Africa could use a few more, maybe an Australian too (Tim Cahill). I strongly dislike the Mexican national team but it's nice to see them get a Legend on FUT next year too.
  • PochBall
    17397 posts World Class
    CHA BUM KUN NEEDED
  • Pughy30
    Nakamura will get one when he retires or Endo
  • PizziPizza
    14040 posts Has That Special Something
    Pughy30 wrote: »
    Oliver Tsubasa is a lock for a legend card
  • Pughy30 wrote: »
    RC wrote: »
    All this will turn into is anti American flamers

AKA the premier league lounge...

Stereotyping a entire lounge is disgusting behaviour tbh

Says the guy that stereotypes all Americans lmao.

• Pughy30
    holdenwait wrote: »
    RC wrote: »
    All this will turn into is anti American flamers

AKA the premier league lounge...

Stereotyping a entire lounge is disgusting behaviour tbh

Says the guy that stereotypes all Americans lmao.

??
  • Verstappen
    4343 posts National Call-Up
    Trait: Potential to be special
  • JimmyVulmer
    6459 posts Big Money Move
  • RandomLhama83
    10098 posts Has That Special Something
    they should add the better legends anyways tbh.. not waste time on mediocre players like Donovan just to appease a certain audience. Go after the real legends like zidane, R9, Romario, branco.
  • Pughy30
    joe666 wrote: »
    they should add the better legends anyways tbh.. not waste time on mediocre players like Donovan just to appease a certain audience. Go after the real legends like zidane, R9, Romario, branco.

All about licensing they can't just add players they need to make agreements with them
  • RandomLhama83
    10098 posts Has That Special Something

All about licensing they can't just add players they need to make agreements with them

they added Pele... the biggest name in football history. If they wanted to the rest they could get um, they just don't want to shell out the money to sign them. I think ea expects a guy like R9 to take the same amount of money a guy like Donovan signs for . Which is outright dispectful to a 2 time world champion like R9. Whats donovon won. the gold cup?
  • heavymcd
    10068 posts Has That Special Something
    edited September 2016

they added Pele... the biggest name in football history. If they wanted to the rest they could get um, they just don't want to shell out the money to sign them. I think ea expects a guy like R9 to take the same amount of money a guy like Donovan signs for . Which is outright dispectful to a 2 time world champion like R9. Whats donovon won. the gold cup?

You sure know a lot about the Legend contracting process. Your uncle work at EA or something?
  • Frankenberry
    @joe666
    They alright signed Romario once, he basically split up with his agent (the guy who set up his contract with EA) and canceled all of his previous deals, which removed him from FUT.

Let's not bicker over Donovan vs. Pele debates, but there are good arguments for lower-rated Legends that are "legendary" for reasons apart from being top 10 players in the world. There are clearly far too few South American Legends (mainly Brazilians and Argentinians), and it's unclear why. It's possible that the Romario fiasco has scared EA off from pursuing more South American Legends.
  • Jfo88
    22946 posts Club Captain
    Jfo88 wrote: »
    Agreed take him out of packs.

• TheSuperDerek
    2900 posts Fans' Favourite
    Great player but that legend card is purely about marketing in the USA, he is about the same level as Hasselbaink and he will never get a legend card
    Please, don't ever compare Jimmy to him again. Jimmy won a golden boot, something Donovan would have never been able to achieve, and again, this is coming from someone who lives in the US.

He won a golden boot in 08. Don't know what you're on about
    Donovan won the PL golden boot in 08? Wow, I never knew that.
    I guess Ronaldo will be surprised to learn that eight years on from winning it, he wasn't real winner of the award.

MLS*

So in my eyes he's better.
  • Pughy30

So lets imagine Pele cost EA 100k to get licenses and Maradona asks for £1mil EA are simply gonna say no and what if a player doesn't wanna work with EA things are not as simple as you say they are.
  • DirtyDishFC
    11028 posts Moderator
    Co-signed. Though we should have known

• Quinn87
    1898 posts Fans' Favourite
    He should never of been there in the first place... Makes a mockery of the whole legend idea.
  • Choepiechakie
    32819 posts National Team Captain

Park?
  • DirtyDishFC
    11028 posts Moderator
    Quinn87 wrote: »
    He should never of been there in the first place... Makes a mockery of the whole legend idea.

There is plenty of guys who are legends who havent done the things he has as an international. Better get rid of Luis Hernandez too
  • Choepiechakie
    32819 posts National Team Captain

He is a legend for Murica tho not for us, so I can understand the legend card
  • wijnaldum16
    3890 posts National Call-Up

There is plenty of guys who are legends who havent done the things he has as an international. Better get rid of Luis Hernandez too

Yep. The whole "legend" idea has become a bit pointless. They should add actual legends of the game, not players from around the world purely for marketing reasons.

Although having people like Donovan, Hernandez, etc doesn't remotely affect me or my life, I would just prefer if EA could get some big names in to add some excitement.
  • wijnaldum16
    3890 posts National Call-Up

They may as well add people like David Healy then...
  • Hicksy2011
    14725 posts Has That Special Something

They may as well add people like David Healy then...
    YES YES YES PLEASE