OT.NO MAN'S SKY. :(

pob125
3797 posts National Call-Up
edited September 2016
Such a disappointing 3 years worth of work.
Was really looking forward to it.

My question is:
Have game developers of open world games screwed them self?
It seems like no man's sky started well,but then the developers thought "oh,****...look at all the content we gotta fill".
Can an open world senerio become Too open?
Post edited by pob125 on

Comments

• stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner
    pob125 wrote: »
    Such a disappointing 3 years worth of work.
    Was really looking forward to it.

My question is:
    Have game developers of open world games screwed them self?
    It seems like no man's sky started well,but then the developers thought "oh,****...look at all the content we gotta fill".
    Can an open world senerio become Too open?

I'll tell you in a week.... but yes, for some goddamn reason Elite still seems better to me. Back from my hols and playing FUT... NMS not even loaded once since then.

I dare say I'll play it but there's no depth at all.
  • pob125
    Wish they just focused on our solar system.its a boys dream to explore space.and they've screwed up what cuddy been the game to top all explorations.
  • pob125
    So the next question...with vr coming at a rapid speed,do we want open world games...surely they will get generic and boring....and the developers won't have enough time to fill all these open world's.
  • MaddMike3711
    10971 posts Has That Special Something
    edited September 2016
    I knew it was going to be like that, pretty much everyone did. How were they ever going to make the one trillion planets (or however many there are) all unique and different feeling?
    It was a great concept, and they really strived to make something like never before, but it was always going to be too big of a task.

Edit: and no, there are still some amazing open world games, look at the Witcher 3, easily one of the best games ever and I've played through it 1 1/2 times, and I am still discovering things I missed the first time. As a side note, I spent about 200 hours on my first play through.
  • pob125
    I knew it was going to be like that, pretty much everyone did. How were they ever going to make the one trillion planets (or however many there are) all unique and different feeling?
    It was a great concept, and they really strived to make something like never before, but it was always going to be too big of a task.

Edit: and no, there are still some amazing open world games, look at the Witcher 3, easily one of the best games ever and I've played through it 1 1/2 times, and I am still discovering things I missed the first time. As a side note, I spent about 200 hours on my first play through.

Point taken with witcher...but this surely was a massive missed opportunity with a game like this.dont get me wrong,I love open world games.
    But surely there's gotta be limits and capabilities.
  • MaddMike3711

Point taken with witcher...but this surely was a massive missed opportunity with a game like this.dont get me wrong,I love open world games.
    Yeah, the developers should have realized that having that many planets, it's bound to get watered down and many of them would be extremely similar.
  • Orison
    47013 posts FIFA Cover Star

Yeah, the developers should have realized that having that many planets, it's bound to get watered down and many of them would be extremely similar.

Honestly never even thought about buying it, don´t know why but I never thought it would be interesting hopping from one randomly computer generated planet to another. But I played it a few hours on a friend´s account and didn´t really like it.

I also spend many many hours on the Witcher, it´s probably the best game ever made up until this point for me (GTA San Andreas close 2nd I guess, but GTA 5/Vice City/San Andreas I mainly play to chill and have fun, not because the story is so awesome or I fell in love with the characters). CDPR put a love to detail in it that is absolutely amazing. The game feels as if everyone who worked on it really put all their passion into the game and not just because they wanted to get paid (*cough* COD *cough*), but because they really wanted to make the best possible game they could.

NMS on the other hand consists of one big algorithm that generates planet after planet. There are no nice little details that warm your heart when you see it, because a human put effort into designing what he thought would please the customer, it´s just a randomly generated world made by a computer which makes the whole thing kinda soulless imo and I don´t like that at all.
  • pob125
    That's what saying....they created to Big of a world to fulfil.imagine if it was just our planets.
    The detail wud be unreal.
    To Big too quick.
  • pob125
    And it's 49.99 in local as far.
    Should be 15 at most.
  • bgp1845
    1807 posts Play-Off Hero
    rule of thumb i use - if the main aspect of game is exploration then there isn't going to be anything to do except stare at virtual trees.
  • MaddMike3711
    Orison wrote: »

Honestly never even thought about buying it, don´t know why but I never thought it would be interesting hopping from one randomly computer generated planet to another. But I played it a few hours on a friend´s account and didn´t really like it.

I also spend many many hours on the Witcher, it´s probably the best game ever made up until this point for me (GTA San Andreas close 2nd I guess, but GTA 5/Vice City/San Andreas I mainly play to chill and have fun, not because the story is so awesome or I fell in love with the characters). CDPR put a love to detail in it that is absolutely amazing. The game feels as if everyone who worked on it really put all their passion into the game and not just because they wanted to get paid (*cough* COD *cough*), but because they really wanted to make the best possible game they could.

NMS on the other hand consists of one big algorithm that generates planet after planet. There are no nice little details that warm your heart when you see it, because a human put effort into designing what he thought would please the customer, it´s just a randomly generated world made by a computer which makes the whole thing kinda soulless imo and I don´t like that at all.
    Couldn't agree more on the Witcher. :)
  • Advait
    14717 posts World Class
    Love the Witcher
  • BrieMine
    5646 posts Big Money Move
    i made the mistake of downloading it, i played a good 40 mins then never played again
  • Kamilflage
    4524 posts National Call-Up
    Witcher 3 easily best game ive ever played...the scene in the bar where Priscilla sings that song...it actually made me realize how involved I was with the characters of the game. Brilliant story.
    Now I'm going crazy waiting for mass effect Andromeda. Never bothere'd with No man's sky, read too many disappointing reviews.
  • iyad69100
    1687 posts Play-Off Hero
    Anyone here played Skyrim ?
  • shamheff1989
    2438 posts Fans' Favourite
    iyad69100 wrote: »

Played it too much. Can't wait for the remastered version in October. Hoping they allow cross saves from old gen. Sold my PS3 but kept my save on a USB just in case I bought one back for it!
  • shamheff1989
    edited September 2016
    That being said I wouldn't mind at all if I had to start again. That bit at the beginning where you come out from the caves after escaping Helgen and the whole world opens up in front of you. Mind blowing.

Lots of good memories of that game. It came out soon after my dad died so got me through a lot of bad days.
  • iyad69100
    1687 posts Play-Off Hero
    edited September 2016

Played it too much. Can't wait for the remastered version in October. Hoping they allow cross saves from old gen. Sold my PS3 but kept my save on a USB just in case I bought one back for it!
    That being said I wouldn't mind at all if I had to start again. That bit at the beginning where you come out from the caves after escaping Helgen and the whole world opens up in front of you. Mind blowing.

Lots of good memories of that game. It came out soon after my dad died so got me through a lot of bad days.

I have it on PC so all saves are safe.
    Didn't play it that much, but I have watched my roommate playing it for weeks on my gaming laptop.
    From what I heard and seen from this game, I wonder if we've got any better open world game ever.
  • shamheff1989

Didn't play it that much, but I have watched my roommate playing it for weeks on my gaming laptop.
    From what I heard and seen from this game, I wonder if we've got any better open world game ever.

Fallout 4 was like the great hope but the hype has kinda died quickly with that. Never got into fallout myself even though I really wanted to. Personally don't think Skyrim will be outdone til the next elder scrolls game!
  • shamheff1989
    Just did a bit of reading out of interest. Saves won't transfer cross gen for the new Skyrim. Just on PC. No major hassle though. Gonna have to rebuild my Nord from the bottom again!
  • iyad69100
    1687 posts Play-Off Hero
    Just did a bit of reading out of interest. Saves won't transfer cross gen for the new Skyrim. Just on PC. No major hassle though. Gonna have to rebuild my Nord from the bottom again!

Which is anything but a boring job :smile:
  • Orison
    47013 posts FIFA Cover Star

Personally I rate the witcher higher, but that's totally down to personal preference
  • shamheff1989
    Orison wrote: »

Personally I rate the witcher higher, but that's totally down to personal preference

I really enjoyed the witcher as well. Think the main thing Skyrim has over it is the fact you can make your own character and choose your overall approach. Gives you ownership over the world. The witcher gives you that too but essentially it's geralts story at the end of the day.