Wtf?

Comments

• Florianr104
    4303 posts National Call-Up
    chokosc wrote: »
    I am Jewish and it made me laugh a little.

Lel, that made me laugh.

As someone said, if it offends you simply report the person, there's not much more you can do.

BTW: Try having "The Big Swede" as your team name :)
  • Cahir85
    2276 posts Fans' Favourite
    Cahir85 wrote: »
    I don't get it

Me either

Take a history class.

I'm 33 and pretty intelligent, clearly it has slang that doesn't translate to my side of the pond...but thanks for being a D!ck instead of helpful

Sorry, after reading that back I did sound like a d1ck, that wasn't my intention @Just_Unfair
  • Just_Unfair
    3893 posts National Call-Up
    I don't get it

Me either

Take a history class.

I'm 33 and pretty intelligent, clearly it has slang that doesn't translate to my side of the pond...but thanks for being a D!ck instead of helpful

Sorry, after reading that back I did sound like a d1ck, that wasn't my intention @Just_Unfair

Well thanks bud...it's all good...I understand the meaning just not a term that's used very much in the US. I get that it has to do with the little N word but was still surprised the OP was so upset about it
  • Just_Unfair
    edited September 2016
    AntoineFR wrote: »
    I don't get it

Me either

Take a history class.

@Just_Unfair how the hell " third reich " is a slang ?
    clearly 33yo and not educated

Actually have 2 college degrees B) I stand by what I said that is not a common term used in the US...we just call it little N word Germany at that time
  • Just_Unfair
    AntoineFR wrote: »
    I don't get it

Me either

Take a history class.

@Just_Unfair how the hell " third reich " is a slang ?
    clearly 33yo and not educated

I get that your Jewish and it Pissed you off but don't come attacking me bud
  • Orikoru
    10712 posts Has That Special Something
    It does make me wonder how their censorship even works. I tried to name one of my squads after Lamela the other day and it wouldn't let me use his name. :confused:
  • Advait
    14717 posts World Class
    Can someone explain it to me?
  • hayhor1
    14219 posts Has That Special Something
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    As a person of German ancestry with a German father I was offended by that. The reason being that was the darkest hour of German history, and people still won't let it go. It happened 70 years ago and one group of political people still like to call everyone who disagrees with them the "N" word, and compare everyone with a certain man whose name began with "H".
    That doesn't define German people, and that shouldn't be the only thing people remember about Germany or its people.
    It isn't funny, and quite offensive.

Try talking to people who assume you're racist because you're white, and mention slavery and what not (which was perpetraded by pretty much every single race out there) every chance they get. Talk about letting go, huh?

This post is spot on. When your 4 or 5 or more generations removed from being a slave, how can you continually use it as an excuse or reason to get angry at another race?
  • Florianr104
    I was serious about "The Big Swede". Anyone have any idea as to why that may not be allowed as a team name?
  • bucs0576
    2282 posts Fans' Favourite
    hayhor1 wrote: »
    As a person of German ancestry with a German father I was offended by that. The reason being that was the darkest hour of German history, and people still won't let it go. It happened 70 years ago and one group of political people still like to call everyone who disagrees with them the "N" word, and compare everyone with a certain man whose name began with "H".
    That doesn't define German people, and that shouldn't be the only thing people remember about Germany or its people.

Try talking to people who assume you're racist because you're white, and mention slavery and what not (which was perpetraded by pretty much every single race out there) every chance they get. Talk about letting go, huh?

This post is spot on. When your 4 or 5 or more generations removed from being a slave, how can you continually use it as an excuse or reason to get angry at another race?

Spot on.
  • bucs0576
    bucs0576 wrote: »
    hayhor1 wrote: »

Spot on.

Basically it is a crutch to lean on...
  • stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner
    I was serious about "The Big Swede". Anyone have any idea as to why that may not be allowed as a team name?

A quick visit to the web app shows I can make teams called "The Small Swede, The Small Cow" etc. but "The Big Cow" etc. contain a censored word... which has to be "Big". Only EA could be so stupid :D
  • ASH32
    1791 posts Play-Off Hero
    stevvix wrote: »

A quick visit to the web app shows I can make teams called "The Small Swede, The Small Cow" etc. but "The Big Cow" etc. contain a censored word... which has to be "Big". Only EA could be so stupid :D

Bi is probably censored. :lol:

• Florianr104

I did the same, but try putting "Big" by itself - that works!
  • stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner

I'm fascinated by this! "Big up" is allowed but "Big down/left/right" is not. "Big hotel" is not allowed and it seems that "Big" followed by any noun is a BIG no-no in EA's book.

Funnily enough "Big inside her" is perfectly OK... and we expect EA to be able to program a footy game competently? ;)
  • Florianr104

I'm fascinated by this! "Big up" is allowed but "Big down/left/right" is not. "Big hotel" is not allowed and it seems that "Big" followed by any noun is a BIG no-no in EA's book.

Funnily enough "Big inside her" is perfectly OK... and we expect EA to be able to program a footy game competently? ;)

Exactly :)
  • AxisFifa
    87 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Advait wrote: »
    Can someone explain it to me?

Explain what? @Advait
  • AxisFifa
    87 posts Has Potential To Be Special

Well, I don't pretend to completely understand what EA 's censor system is, but I expect it is really quite difficult to try and block out everything even mildly offensive for the kids to be able to play the game. Imagine trying to think of every single word or phrase that could be taken as offensive. It seems much easier to have a system set up, that may be flawed, but is better and more convenient than anything else.
  • ASH32
    1791 posts Play-Off Hero
    AxisFifa wrote: »

Well, I don't pretend to completely understand what EA 's censor system is, but I expect it is really quite difficult to try and block out everything even mildly offensive for the kids to be able to play the game. Imagine trying to think of every single word or phrase that could be taken as offensive. It seems much easier to have a system set up, that may be flawed, but is better and more convenient than anything else.

That's why there shouldn't be a censor system in place but players should be accountable for their team names. If they have one that's clearly intended to be offensive they should be banned once reported or better yet have their name auto changed to something really sad, they'll love that. :lol:

• hayhor1
    ASH32 wrote: »

That's why there shouldn't be a censor system in place but players should be accountable for their team names. If they have one that's clearly intended to be offensive they should be banned once reported or better yet have their name auto changed to something really sad, they'll love that. :lol:

yep
  • stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner

Whilst I mainly agree, I'd be horrified if my imaginary 7 year old FUT playing daughter/son came up against a team using the "F & C" etc. words, especially if it was aggressive to them (as in "I'm gonna F your C" or something similar). I do understand the censorship of words but quite why EA has decided "big" is worthy of censorship is beyond me.

I just tried to create a team called "Big Sam"... no, no, no... that must be filthy! ;)
  • ASH32
    1791 posts Play-Off Hero

Whilst I mainly agree, I'd be horrified if my imaginary 7 year old FUT playing daughter/son came up against a team using the "F & C" etc. words, especially if it was aggressive to them (as in "I'm gonna F your C" or something similar). I do understand the censorship of words but quite why EA has decided "big" is worthy of censorship is beyond me.

I just tried to create a team called "Big Sam"... no, no, no... that must be filthy! ;)

Well they wouldn't know they were swears if they didn't know and recognize them in the first place and technically they are supposed to be 14 to play online, not that anyone follows that or enforces it. :wink:

It is a losing battle trying to censor any possible bad word or term though, if only people didn't use such offensive names in the first place, that would solve everything.

• stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner

Well they wouldn't know they were swears if they didn't know and recognize them in the first place and technically they are supposed to be 14 to play online, not that anyone follows that or enforces it. :wink:

It is a losing battle trying to censor any possible bad word or term though, if only people didn't use such offensive names in the first place, that would solve everything.

From the PSN forums:

"The Terms of Service and User Agreement for the Sony Online Network (including PlayStation®Network and Qriocity™) says the following:

"There are two types of Sony Online Network accounts: Master Accounts and Sub Accounts. You must be 18 years or older to create and hold a Master Account. Sub Accounts are for children from ages 7 to 17."

Therefore, the minimum age for a PSN account is 7 years. There is no stated maximum age.

To view the Terms of Service and User Agreement for the Sony Online Network visit:
    http://www.scei.co.jp/ps3-eula/index.html and select your country/region."

I'm glad about the maximum age bit ;)

The problem is that 7 year olds can read, hear words and meanings in the playground and can then realise that some stranger's team name means they want to sexually/physically violate them (just one example).

But I agree that censorship is terrible and it should be up to parents to monitor their children's play rather than rely on software makers, although it's impossible to look at every FIFA game they play. My son has reached the fine old age of 14 so we can just laugh about this stuff now... couldn't do that if he was half his age.

That said, I do agree with you when you say " if only people didn't use such offensive names in the first place, that would solve everything." but I dare say it's people of the same age as my son doing this childish stuff in the first place.
  • bucs0576
    So the world is the problem....kind of hard to fix that. It's sad.
  • stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner
    So the world is the problem....kind of hard to fix that. It's sad.

And it's getting sadder :(
  • bucs0576
    Yup.
  • bucs0576
    It's hard to punish your own child when it's against the law. Well, atleast that's the case in most states in the U.S.

• bucs0576
    I used to get punished. My kid's get punished. They are good kids. They do well in school, they behave (unlike their father :wink: ), and they don't say retarted ****.

Kids need to be responsible for something. No matter how small the task may be, they have to be accountable. If you grow up with no accountability, you grow up wrong.
  • hayhor1
    I used to get punished. My kid's get punished. They are good kids. They do well in school, they behave (unlike their father :wink: ), and they don't say retarted ****.

Kids need to be responsible for something. No matter how small the task may be, they have to be accountable. If you grow up with no accountability, you grow up wrong.

Very true.
  • stevvix
    8968 posts League Winner

It's an education on how we all grow up.

My son has used "****", but not in the last year or so, and his parents have constantly educated him about the equality of all in this world no matter what.

In the UK kids will call others "****" at some time, and that's fine by me as long as you teach them that is it NOT fine. It's just living and learning, and that takes time and experience.

Hell, my boy is 14 and he's already called his ex-gf's father out as a racist cnut and I'm proud of him, but he'll still make mistakes and thats fine by me. He's learning!