Pes is good, not as good as people are making out

People are raving over it on Twitter. Makes me have doubts really
  • Shaanxz
    20315 posts Club Captain
    ManzGOTIT wrote: »
    Shaanxz wrote: »

I dunno it's great, don't get me wrong but I've been buying pes for 8 editions in a row. So maybe my thoughts are different. Also people are impressed by simple things nowadays
  • nixdrauf
    276 posts Sunday League Hero
    After that joke 2014, this kind of weekend students project quality that Konami pushed into the market, i never buy their stuff again. They´ll get their prerelease hype as every year. Who cares.

Yes, sure - EA needs pressure from the market, yeah. Hard to imagine.
  • Marrone
    97 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Eddie wrote: »
    I think PES looks awful, visually. Ice skating galore, nou camp looks poor during gameplay. Dissapointing, I want to see them give EA a real challenge. Otherwise FIFA will carry on going backwards.

Your kidding right, you can say a lot about pes vs fifa but graphically this year there is no doubt. Pes is the winner. Especially if you look at Barcelona and camp nou.
  • ZizioGardo
    1391 posts Professional
    Marrone wrote: »
    I think PES looks awful, visually. Ice skating galore, nou camp looks poor during gameplay. Dissapointing, I want to see them give EA a real challenge. Otherwise FIFA will carry on going backwards.

Your kidding right, you can say a lot about pes vs fifa but graphically this year there is no doubt. Pes is the winner. Especially if you look at Barcelona and camp nou.

You must be joking. Either that or you're a massive PES fanboy. With the new engine and all, then FIFA is definitely beating PES graphically. There is no doubt about that.

And what's up with the shooting mechanics in PES this year? All shots are like rockets..
  • Eddie
    692 posts An Exciting Prospect

Nou camp-stairs are atleast twice as wide as they should be. There's no incline on the lower tier, it literally looks as though there's seats on flat ground. The external shots of it looked great the otter week, during gameplay it's poor.

Player movement is so unrealistic, feet sliding all over the place. It looks awful. Pitch isn't as good as FIFA.

Only thing that looked good was goal celebrations. (Cutscene)
  • Joonlar
    151 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited August 2016
    Pes only looks good in close ups of faces. Normal gameplay cam is pretty horrid. Especially the ice skating, drab turfs, and weird crab leg poses all the players have
  • Shadox81
    214 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    Joonlar wrote: »
    The saddest thing about Pes that even if gameplay is good its still sucks online, which is what I solely play. You cant even change the freaking camera from the default one, and the default one is rubbishn(not zoomed out enough). Pathetic for a game releasing in 2016

what you talking bout m8? , there are 6/7+ different camera options, and you can change zoom settings.
  • Joonlar
    Shadox81 wrote: »
    The saddest thing about Pes that even if gameplay is good its still sucks online, which is what I solely play. You cant even change the freaking camera from the default one, and the default one is rubbishn(not zoomed out enough). Pathetic for a game releasing in 2016

what you talking bout m8? , there are 6/7+ different camera options, and you can change zoom settings.

Not for online
  • Turf_Knights2016
    597 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited August 2016
    Sadly, I find myself in the most unordinary predicament asking myself why am I trying to convince myself that it will be great here these are just crap arcade games put to market like a 9 month newborn with teething issues........ that's why I posted replies like these............

http://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/comment/3352250/#Comment_3352250

http://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/comment/3234429/#Comment_3234429

http://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/comment/3326224/#Comment_3326224

I sincerely doubt it will change knowing the decaying, state the video game industry is at!

I guess a few posts here and there for just the fun of it keeps me here but not the best way to even use a Forum to channel developer - gamer creativity.

Its just a run down mess of unsatisfied users, without even a Developer discussion thread like you have in Warthunder Forum...........

Link:- https://forum.warthunder.com/?r=SEM_AW5138323765_SL000000019&gclid=CjwKEAjw0a2eBRDVrabv9vWJ90USJACsKRDHAF83BR1Y5gQizOdp5zYG_aUN5PNzybNaUTi4wL2-EBoCZ_fw_wcB

Just better use of a Forum here at EA GAMES FIFA Forum I can't even get an intelligent response to something so inconsequential like this............................. http://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/176529/a-comprehensive-ea-games-fifa-football-soccer-manual-pdf-request-proposal

Agggh!

Post edited by Turf_Knights2016 on
  • Retro_G
    28221 posts Player of the Year
    Try the demo guys, this PES is unbelievably good. I'm playing on a USA account at the moment, PES 17 has blown me away. If you're a fan of the real sport, you will appreciate how accurately this game portrays the sport.

It's completely different than PES 16, which had arcade style gameplay. PES 17 is a pure realistic sim, could be one of the best football games ever developed.

Both games can learn at lot from each other, Fifa is years ahead when it comes to online modes, that's the achilles heel of PES games.

I've already pinpointed the main issue with Fifa games, what kills the fun from a gameplay aspect. Tactical defending is a big issue, any honest Fifa fan will tell you the same. The A.I. in recent fifa games, tactics are also lacking compared to PES.

The presentation in Fifa is flawless, they've the licences. FUT is an awesome mode, they also have a story mode this year. Huge amount of options with online modes, something for everyone.

It could be a great year for football fans. I'm already sold on PES 17, now it depends on what Fifa 17 brings to the table with their demo. I'll always try both demo's and criticise them objectively.

• MaestroPirlo21
    1220 posts Professional
    I am in North America and I thought that I would give PES a shot 2 years ago. Playing the demo sold me that year. It was actually rewarding to score a nice goal from a good move or build up. But I was able to play exactly 1 online match in the myclub mode. What a mess their online matchmaking was that year. Never went back.

• RSL183
    458 posts An Exciting Prospect
    Just played the Pes demo and it is probably the best football game i have ever played. And I'm a fifa fan. EA seriously need to pick up their game.
  • Turf_Knights2016
    597 posts Sunday League Hero
    edited August 2016
    RSL183 wrote: »
    Just played the Pes demo and it is probably the best football game i have ever played. And I'm a fifa fan. EA seriously need to pick up their game.

Exactly, EA GAMES has the means and resources especially with the ( FIFA ™ ) to develop a full mature code-base PC platform game that balances the multi-player and single-player modes of play. Also catering for all age groups arcade or true simulation and add all the features we all would like if they really wanted to that is for certain! :wink:

They need to develop the code-base to handle a true physics+math graphics engine, then make some groundbreaking break-throughs in further developing Dynamic A.i CPU vs USER and really fix Career Mode and just build a great game from one code-base in continual development!

Then every year release a new version i.e.... 2017, 2018, 2019 etc from the same code-base with more new teams and players, new stadiums and improved features, but to remove features and then add them back in or remodel that again only to fail is just a waste of resources and valuable development time, which really upsets the community following and the brand! :cry:

The fact that EA has a strong financial backing to do it as you can see their profitability power -

As a matter of fact UBISOFT in recent years has opened and placed many small studios in various places around the world to handle development growth of some of their game titles with added programmers and gfx artist building huge databases of work, so to say that oh we can't is just beloney!

I mean EA C'mon............... http://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/172936/full-body-motion-physics-to-improve-simulated-gameplay-in-future-versions-of-fifa

EA JUST BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME! :wink:

And for crying out loud, please make this............. http://fifaforums.easports.com/en/discussion/176529/a-comprehensive-ea-games-fifa-football-soccer-manual-pdf-request-proposal

It would be a really good thing to do!
    Post edited by Turf_Knights2016 on
  • A Crafty Gamer
    724 posts An Exciting Prospect
    I'm actually quite impressed by the PES demo as well. I will be buying both PES and FIFA this year, no doubt.

EA's products have been going down the sh*tter for the past couple years IMO.
  • RSL183
    I'm actually quite impressed by the PES demo as well. I will be buying both PES and FIFA this year, no doubt.

Agree and I will also buy both. Like I said.. I'm a Fifa fan. Just play Ultimate Team and think it's amazing.. but this demo has made me sit up and take note.
  • piccolo_bsc
    266 posts Sunday League Hero
    I played the demo for 3 hours straight today. With every game if became more fun because i learned more and more small things about the controls and mechanics. It's a realistic football simulation, no players that run like they are on crack and no cheese goals. The GKs are also AMAZING!
    I will definitly buy both games and since all the big leagues will come to PS4 with names, kits, badges etc. right on release(Option File Patch) i will have at least 2 weeks of major fun with PES 2017 until FIFA 17 comes out.
  • Kip2MyLou
    7396 posts League Winner
    edited August 2016
    Just played a little around 2 hours and I almost fell asleep. Maybe it's just the way I like to play video games but I love the skills and fast pace of Fifa. PES has great short scenes and animations, love the goalie kicking the ball out of goal after they're scored on and things like that.

And if people think Fifa 16's slide tackles are crazy, PES' are incredible. You can slide forever and most of time get the ball no problem.

And there were definitely some ice skating on field. I may or may not have access to the FIFA 17 beta and after playing the two, I definitely prefer FIFA. It's not a huge leap for FIFA, other than graphic wise, but the gameplay is better, more fun, and more exciting.

There will always be the argument for people who rather have an authentic simulation soccer game and maybe they will prefer PES because of it being more rewarding to some people. But for me, I'll definitely just be buying FIFA this year. More content and for me, just better gameplay, even with PES' amazing cut scenes. Which if I might admit, there's way too many of.
  • SuPeRz
    876 posts Semi-Pro
    edited August 2016

I was surprisingly impressed with PES as well. I thought I'd feel those slidy animations but it actually looked quite nice, controlled quite well and was very responsive. Any roboticness is the price we pay for responsiveness and I can't complain.

My only problem is that I'm so used to FIFA, the little quirks and shimmies and touches I'm accustomed to just aren't there yet, so I do get that clunky feeling but I know it's just down to my rubbish skill level. With time and hopefully an in depth player guide, I can get quite good at PES and really enjoy it. Sadly I don't think they have done enough to pull ppl away from FIFA. And the time it would take to learn PES's nuances I'd rather spend practicing FIFA's new gameplay elements to win league titles online!

As Sir Marty said, FIFA on the Frostbite engine would almost erase any graphical lead PES had. The new modes like the Journey and the additional UT "candy crush" kiddie modes would keep the kids happy. Much better online and the huge lead in Licenses cement FIFA as top seller again this year.

Once I get my hands on the FIFA demo, I will make a better comparison, but I doubt it'll be worth getting both for me.

The PES scanned faces graphics are crazy real, I must say! Their tag line "control reality" is justified! Love it!
    Post edited by SuPeRz on
  • ManzGOTIT
    2227 posts Fans' Favourite
    Just played a good few hours of the PES demo
    Must say it is an absolutely sensational game, a true replica of the sport
    The tempo flows well and each team is different however there were some flaws such as the robotic movements (Actions flowed but sometimes robotic) the goalkeepers when Cech scored a stupid OG but they have been good this year
    I havent played 2016 but 2017 looks and plays amazing

So much fun with it, guys should try it
  • Kip2MyLou
    7396 posts League Winner
    Looks like I'm in the minority so far. Ha.
  • RSL183
    Kip2MyLou wrote: »

Nothing wrong with that mate. Everyone has an opinion. You made great points. I'm just praying Fifa has done enough to keep me on side. Can't wait for the demo!
  • ManzGOTIT
    2227 posts Fans' Favourite
    Kip2MyLou wrote: »

A lot of people have hyped it up though
    Someone called it the best football game they've played....it's good but saying that is ridiculous

Can't wait for FIFA 17 demo though
  • Marrone
    97 posts Has Potential To Be Special
    edited August 2016
    "Any roboticness is the price we pay for responsiveness and I can't complain."

This is so very true! Before fifa started with the nice animations and graphics from fifa 10 on the responsiveness was good but every year they added nice animations, fifa gameplay became more and more unresponsive and delayed. That is indeed the price we pay for having a beautiful game and when it comes to pes indeed there is a bit of skating during some moves or sudden change of posture that sometimes can look a little bit robotic but i rather have that than bad responsiveness which is my main problem with fifa at the moment. In the end for me it is about the gameplay and not the graphics. I must say that for me, this year pes has find the ideal balance between those two. If fifa would become more responsive and they would remove that momentum/scripting nonsense (90 min goals etc) it would be unbeatable. At the same time these are the same reasons people playing fifa the last couple of years including myself are being positively surprised by pes. I hoped so much that the frost bite would change all this and give us responsiveness but unfortunately this is not true and unchanged.

For me its just frustrating because i truly love the pro clubs modus and therefore are probably looking at another year of same fifa frustrations knowing the gameplay i want is possible. If pes would bring a pro clubs modus that would seal the deal for me. O well.... In a perfect world..
  • BPM
    191 posts Has Potential To Be Special

Nou camp-stairs are atleast twice as wide as they should be. There's no incline on the lower tier, it literally looks as though there's seats on flat ground. The external shots of it looked great the otter week, during gameplay it's poor.

Player movement is so unrealistic, feet sliding all over the place. It looks awful. Pitch isn't as good as FIFA.

You must have never kicked a ball in your life if you think PES movement is unrealistic. Its more realistic than FIFA that's for sure.
  • airpreezy
    962 posts Semi-Pro
    edited August 2016
    ManzGOTIT wrote: »
    Shaanxz wrote: »

i played a lot pes in the past but since the "new" console generation, PES really sucks.
    so do the pes 17 demo, the movement is so robotic, the game speed is better than in fifa, the ball physic is better than in fifa but that´s all everything else is really annoying bout that game...i really wish that PES is getting better
  • Joonlar
    BPM wrote: »

You must have never kicked a ball in your life if you think PES movement is unrealistic. Its more realistic than FIFA that's for sure.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ID7Kun/status/761495407419592704/video/1
  • BPM
    191 posts Has Potential To Be Special

Oops, I knew I was going to eat my words. Have to admit the close control dribble is a bit overkill but in terms of turning I feel that PES is more realistic as in FIFA you turn like a bus.
  • Alex
    976 posts Moderator

And people call FIFA arcadey ? Damn...
  • AZOOOZIL8
    65 posts Park Captain
    "Any roboticness is the price we pay for responsiveness and I can't complain."

This is so very true! Before fifa started with the nice animations and graphics from fifa 10 on the responsiveness was good but every year they added nice animations, fifa gameplay became more and more unresponsive and delayed. That is indeed the price we pay for having a beautiful game and when it comes to pes indeed there is a bit of skating during some moves or sudden change of posture that sometimes can look a little bit robotic but i rather have that than bad responsiveness which is my main problem with fifa at the moment. In the end for me it is about the gameplay and not the graphics. I must say that for me, this year pes has find the ideal balance between those two. If fifa would become more responsive and they would remove that momentum/scripting nonsense (90 min goals etc) it would be unbeatable. At the same time these are the same reasons people playing fifa the last couple of years including myself are being positively surprised by pes. I hoped so much that the frost bite would change all this and give us responsiveness but unfortunately this is not true and unchanged.

For me its just frustrating because i truly love the pro clubs modus and therefore are probably looking at another year of same fifa frustrations knowing the gameplay i want is possible. If pes would bring a pro clubs modus that would seal the deal for me. O well.... In a perfect world..

Well said. Couldn't agree more.